Kurdish situation

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Kurdish situation

Post by Drazzil »

I don't see a dedicated thread about this yet. The biggest immediate problem I see is the ISIS fighters who will be given freedom to be a threat. How should this be dealt with?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kraken

Re: Kurdish situation

Post by Kraken »

The biggest immediate problem is that US allies are being killed and driven into the arms of our adversaries by another supposed ally. US credibility is in shreds, but now we're going to sanction the supposed ally whose attack we just green-lighted, thereby proving that NOBODY should trust the US.

Those ISIS folks are going to become a problem, too, but we have a bigger crisis right now.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:56 am The biggest immediate problem is that US allies are being killed and driven into the arms of our adversaries by another supposed ally. US credibility is in shreds, but now we're going to sanction the supposed ally whose attack we just green-lighted, thereby proving that NOBODY should trust the US.

Those ISIS folks are going to become a problem, too, but we have a bigger crisis right now.
Yep.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:56 am The biggest immediate problem is that US allies are being killed and driven into the arms of our adversaries by another supposed ally. US credibility is in shreds, but now we're going to sanction the supposed ally whose attack we just green-lighted, thereby proving that NOBODY should trust the US.

Yep. Thats a yuuuuge problem... But. I just had a pretty out there idea. Why don't the Kurds just smoke the ISIS prisoners on the way out. Normally I would say this is a horrible horrible idea, and possibly a war crime... But these guys are no stranger to war crimes themselves. Soooo two negatives make a positive?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I mean... Yeah I see problems with my idea myself. Convincing the Kurds to kill 10,000 prisoners of war after we basically horsefucked them. Warcrime thing aside I can totally imagine being a fly on the wall for that particular conversation.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yeah we do but those other issues have already been talked to death.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I’m scared.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm scared that it took Drazzil 4 tries to answer the same post.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m scared that it will take too long for this stupid thread proposing the wholesale execution of prisoners to fall off the front page of this forum.

[Edit to acknowledge that I did not help this situation by posting in it. :doh: ]
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:54 am I’m scared that it will take too long for this stupid thread proposing the wholesale execution of prisoners to fall off the front page of this forum.

[Edit to acknowledge that I did not help this situation by posting in it. :doh: ]
Maybe I shouldn't have engaged last night -- we already have a perfectly good Syria thread -- but I took the bait when Drazzil got "the immediate biggest problem" wrong. I'm going to charitably assume that suggesting we solve it with mass murder was a troll.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am
Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:54 am I’m scared that it will take too long for this stupid thread proposing the wholesale execution of prisoners to fall off the front page of this forum.

Maybe I shouldn't have engaged last night -- we already have a perfectly good Syria thread -- but I took the bait when Drazzil got "the immediate biggest problem" wrong. I'm going to charitably assume that suggesting we solve it with mass murder was a troll.
I honestly didn't know we already discussed this in the syria thread. Shoulda looked there. I'm actually good with deleting this thread if you guys want. That said I'm kind of shocked that killing ISIS prisoners would still meet with distaste. These are the same guys who comitted horrific warcrimes in the past and would gladly do so in the future.

That said; I'm good with locking; deleting and or just letting this thread die. You guys pick.
Last edited by Drazzil on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:48 pm That said considering what ISIS did in the past and would certainally do in the future, is it still wrong?
Yes. Killing prisoners of war without even a trial is absolutely wrong and against every value we should hold dear. That you believe it's okay puts you squarely in the same camp as Trump when it comes to human rights.
He won. Period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:54 pm
Drazzil wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:48 pm That said considering what ISIS did in the past and would certainally do in the future, is it still wrong?
Yes. Killing prisoners of war without even a trial is absolutely wrong and against every value we should hold dear.
Okay then. I'm going to assume that your answer factors in the suffering and horror these guys are going to cause in the future and call this a thread.

I'm good with doing whatever to this thing. You guys call it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 pm
Yes. Killing prisoners of war without even a trial is absolutely wrong and against every value we should hold dear.
Okay then. I'm going to assume that your answer factors in the suffering and horror these guys are going to cause in the future and call this a thread.

I'm good with doing whatever to this thing. You guys call it.
The U.S. urging a group to mass execute POWs would likely have a catastrophic impact on our foreign policy and world standing (even beyond what Trump has done to it already), even if it weren't actually carried out. Also would put future American POWs at further risk.

Anyway, probably does make sense to just keep this discussion within the foreign policy thread.
Black Lives Matter.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yes. Killing prisoners of war without even a trial is absolutely wrong and against every value we should hold dear. That you believe it's okay puts you squarely in the same camp as Trump when it comes to human rights.
You know, you're right. My moral compass when it comes to huvan life is truly broken. Beyond repairing it seems. Nuff about me though, lets just wrap this up.

Edit for: Good answer GUAPO! I knew there was something I was missing.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

One reason why I think going to war should be a last resort is because I think we are obligated to help and protect our allies. If we don't do that, then we don't deserve to have allies. Once involved with them, we have to deliver on our end of the deal.

So if we go in somewhere and get locals to work with us in our military action, we are obligated to have their backs. We can't just decide one day to cut and run and not be disgusting people for doing that. I suspect that the reason some people are okay with abandoning allies is because they are confident that the US will always be able to buy allies when needed. Who knows, it might be true. But that's also disgusting to me, because it's just exploitation. You dangle a carrot in front of them, all the while knowing you're going to leave them hanging in the end. It's a dick move and deserving of nothing but contempt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lets send Cadet Shinsplints over to fight.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"