[meta-R&P PSA] please quote when linking/embedding tweets in threads

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

[meta-R&P PSA] please quote when linking/embedding tweets in threads

Post by hitbyambulance »

numerous times now i'm reading a thread and someone has embedded a tweet a day ago... or just hours ago... that has already been deleted. this happens a *lot*. since a number of people do this without quoting the text, what we see is a 'this tweet is unavailable' message preserved for posterity. without text permanency, these empty posts just clutter up the thread, breaking up the flow and not adding anything.

so informative!

the way to do it.
Isgrimnur

Re: [meta-R&P PSA] please quote when linking/embedding tweets in threads

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm probably just going to start screencapping them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

While I get the point, I just want to point out that the tweet in question isn't deleted! I just clicked through to it. My only problem with quoting them is that it is rather difficult on a phone.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I have noticed that it will say it's no longer available, but when you re-click it goes through.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

admins - would this be a phpBB defect, some kind of Twitter auth situation, or something else?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's often security software. You are on octopusoverlords.com your blockers see Twitter scripts so it blocks them. Every once in a while I get this and have to re-allow Twitter.

And post with quotes (when possible) is almost always better than screen caps, as you can click the comment and go see it in context.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:48 pm It's often security software. You are on octopusoverlords.com your blockers see Twitter scripts so it blocks them. Every once in a while I get this and have to re-allow Twitter.
ah, Firefox security software! undoubtedly that is the reason. thanks for the reminder.