Campaign donations question

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Campaign donations question

Post by Drazzil »

If I donate a small amount to Bernie Sanders, then I make another small ($5) donation to Elizabeth Warren, do I undo the work the Sanders donation did? Does Bernie's or Warren's money go to fund whoever the DNC kings?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Defiant

Re: Campaign donations question

Post by Defiant »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:53 pm If I donate a small amount to Bernie Sanders, then I make another small ($5) donation to Elizabeth Warren, do I undo the work the Sanders donation did? Does Bernie's or Warren's money go to fund whoever the DNC kings?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I assume you mean if they drop out before they spend your money? I'm not an expert, but I think the candidate gets to decide what happens to it (within certain restrictions), and they usually transfer it into a future campaign that they run in (eg, IIUC, Warren transferred money from a previous election into her current presidential campaign)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I doubt Bernie will run again. He must have a HUUUUGE war chest by now. I donated $5 to Warren because I'd love to see it come down to Sanders and Warren.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Candidates' campaigns are independent of any global DNC funds.

Five bucks to Warren helps Warren do her thing, and five bucks to Sanders does the same for him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If you want to be absolutely sure to donate to someone who will be on the ballot for President(unless the kung flu gets him) there is always Trump. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why would he support a Russian leader in an American election? :?
He won. Period.
raydude

Post by raydude »

em2nought wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:13 am If you want to be absolutely sure to donate to someone who will be on the ballot for President(unless the kung flu gets him) there is always Trump. :mrgreen:
Dicktators don't need help from the common folk; it's part of their job description.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 am Why would he support a Russian leader in an American election? :?
Because he did in 2016?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Donate $5 to a local city or state candidate's campaign. It'll go further at this point.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

So now I'm curious - what does happen to unspent funds if the candidate decides to never run again?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FactCheck
[T]hose running for federal office — including presidential candidates — must abide by strict FEC guidelines when it comes to their extra campaign money. They can donate an unlimited amount to a charity or political party. They can also, within limits, make contributions directly to other candidates. A campaign committee can give up to $2000 per election to each candidate. If the committee is converted into a political action committee, the limit jumps to $5000 – but to be established as a PAC, the committee would have to be in existence for six months, receive contributions from 50 donors, and make contributions to five recipients.

What candidates can’t do with leftover money is use it for personal expenses. Retiring federal lawmakers used to be able to pocket extra cash and use it for cars, vacations, clothes, pet grooming, whatever — but that changed in 1989 with the passage of the Ethics Reform Act.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Probably soon to be made legal again in 2020 with the Ethics Reform Act
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:19 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 am Why would he support a Russian leader in an American election? :?
Because he did in 2016?
What I can't be remorseful?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm So now I'm curious - what does happen to unspent funds if the candidate decides to never run again?
They can use it to curry favor from other politicians for their own private enterprises. They can also use it on legal fees to defend themselves.

The Illinois machine is built on campaign reserves.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:19 am
Because he did in 2016?
What I can't be remorseful?
You can be, but actions speak louder.
It's almost as if people are the problem.