How effective is phonebanking these days?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

With the rise of the internet and other devices and websites that try to drive voters... How effective are calls from another state to drive support?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Holman

Re: How effective is phonebanking these days?

Post by Holman »

I don't know the numbers.

But we have 18+ people coming to our house for phone-banking sessions tomorrow and Sunday. Obviously we're targeting specific demos in SC and Tuesday markets.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:55 pm I don't know the numbers.

But we have 18+ people coming to our house for phone-banking sessions tomorrow and Sunday. Obviously we're targeting specific demos in SC and Tuesday markets.
A whole week.

No one touched it for a whole week, and then you need to go and feed it.

:roll:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 pm

A whole week.

Because it's *so* much trouble to help me out and answer a simple question.

I often thought to myself that a lot of people hated not *what* I posted, but *that* I posted. Thanks for confirming this.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm

A whole week.

I often thought to myself that a lot of people hated not *what* I posted, but *that* I posted. Thanks for confirming this.
I don't hate that you post, or what you post. Hang in there.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

A whole week.

No, it’s *what*
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 am

A whole week.

No, it’s *what*
More "how." If you make a point in one thread, don't copy and paste it into two more. Don't start new threads when your comments fit an existing one. If you're advancing a provocative or minority viewpoint (which I value), back it up with sources or solid logic.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 am

A whole week.

No, it’s *what*
Alright, so publically castigating another person for replying to an innocent question about the effectiveness of phonebanking, that didn't happe....

Oh right... it *did* happen.

And to avoid any unnecessary drama, I'll take my response on PM if you all wouldn't mind. I'm tired of being accused of making threads about me.

This thread should either be specifically about the effectiveness of phonebanking in political campaigns, or barring the discussion of this should be allowed to die a natural death.

Now! I realise that the generation that votes the most also seems to be the most likely to have land lines, so there is that.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Spam call is so prevalent, every call I get that is not from a known number goes straight to voice mail. Far less than half will leave a voice mail. I do open the voice mail and at least start the messages, but I estimate only about a quarter of those are actually relevant to me. Most I just delete as soon as the person stats talking.

For me at least, anything that sounded vaguely political I would delete. The call itself would give me a slightly negative opinion about the candidate, assuming I listened long enough to even find out which candidate it was.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymon wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am Spam call is so prevalent, every call I get that is not from a known number goes straight to voice mail. Far less than half will leave a voice mail. I do open the voice mail and at least start the messages, but I estimate only about a quarter of those are actually relevant to me. Most I just delete as soon as the person stats talking.

For me at least, anything that sounded vaguely political I would delete. The call itself would give me a slightly negative opinion about the candidate, assuming I listened long enough to even find out which candidate it was.
One wonders, would a text be received better? Why haven't campaigns moved on to this medium? Are there still people out there that pay by the text? Would it be possible to sebd out 'pre paid" texts for those people who are still paying per text?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:00 pm
Jaymon wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am Spam call is so prevalent, every call I get that is not from a known number goes straight to voice mail. Far less than half will leave a voice mail. I do open the voice mail and at least start the messages, but I estimate only about a quarter of those are actually relevant to me. Most I just delete as soon as the person stats talking.

One wonders, would a text be received better? Why haven't campaigns moved on to this medium? Are there still people out there that pay by the text? Would it be possible to sebd out 'pre paid" texts for those people who are still paying per text?
Warren's people texted me to remind me to vote, but only after I'd already given them money, and they stopped when I politely asked them to. I'd be mighty pissed about text solicitations. Phone calls are easy to block and ignore, but I always check my texts as soon as the little icon appears on my Do Not Disturb screen.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well... it's about to be a lot more effective than going door to door....
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I get a ton of texts, some from campaigns that I didn't even realize were happening (like primary Senate caucuses).

I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number (and even then - only if I notice that it's ringing, which is highly unlikely since my phone is almost always in Do Not Disturb mode). I do have text previews pop up on the lock screen, but unless it's something interesting or from someone I know, I never read them.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, I probably got about 20 political texts this winter.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra