Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo News
The United States has supplied Brazil with 2 million doses of hydroxychloroquine for use against the coronavirus, the two governments said on Sunday, despite medical warnings about risks associated with the anti-malaria drug.

The White House released a joint announcement on the drug, whose use has been touted both by U.S. President Donald Trump and Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, just days after the World Health Organization suspended testing it in COVID-19 patients because of safety concerns.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I heard someone joke they're renaming hydroxychloroquine "imbecillin".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Colorado safer-at-home order was set to expire tonight. Gov Polis extended it through June with minor modifications like removing the 10-mi restriction for recreating away from home. Limit of 10 people at gatherings remains.

Nice to see a lack of rush to further opening.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
morlac

Post by morlac »

My father passed away last Nov. Yesterday (it was a couple weeks ago but we hadn't opened it)he got a letter from Trump informing him how awesome merica is and to enjoy his $1,200 stimulus check. We then checked his account that we are finally closing and settling on to discover it $1200 bigger. Thanks Trump! The best part..... it is made out to Lawrence ###### DECD. That's right the letter is literally addressed to a deceased person.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

morlac wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:01 am My father passed away last Nov. Yesterday (it was a couple weeks ago but we hadn't opened it)he got a letter from Trump informing him how awesome merica is and to enjoy his $1,200 stimulus check. We then checked his account that we are finally closing and settling on to discover it $1200 bigger. Thanks Trump! The best part..... it is made out to Lawrence ###### DECD. That's right the letter is literally addressed to a deceased person.
Just FYI, lots of people have received these, and the official stance is that it has to be returned. I don't know if that will ever be enforced, so it's up to you whether to take the chance.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

morlac wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:01 am My father passed away last Nov. Yesterday (it was a couple weeks ago but we hadn't opened it)he got a letter from Trump informing him how awesome merica is and to enjoy his $1,200 stimulus check. We then checked his account that we are finally closing and settling on to discover it $1200 bigger. Thanks Trump! The best part..... it is made out to Lawrence ###### DECD. That's right the letter is literally addressed to a deceased person.
Someone needs to expose this as Trump using government funds to purchase the votes of dead people. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 am
Just FYI, lots of people have received these, and the official stance is that it has to be returned. I don't know if that will ever be enforced, so it's up to you whether to take the chance.
Too late, not an option. Talked with my sisters and we decided Trump just donated $400 to 3 different charities. All four will be made in my dads name so they can track him down for recovery if they like.
stessier

Post by stessier »

morlac wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:19 am
Too late, not an option. Talked with my sisters and we decided Trump just donated $400 to 3 different charities. All four will be made in my dads name so they can track him down for recovery if they like.
That's not how it works. Whomever is the executor will be in for a world of hurt if they turn the eye of Sauron on them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
morlac

Post by morlac »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:26 am
That's not how it works. Whomever is the executor will be in for a world of hurt if they turn the eye of Sauron on them.
I am well aware of that. It's me and my Sister and we both agree for them to bring it on. Should we get nailed, we are fine paying it back but we will be sure to document it and share on social media as well. If they want to get ugly we are fine with that as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then more power to you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

morlac wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:40 am
stessier wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:26 am
I am well aware of that. It's me and my Sister and we both agree for them to bring it on. Should we get nailed, we are fine paying it back but we will be sure to document it and share on social media as well. If they want to get ugly we are fine with that as well.
There will also be fines. And if they want to get nasty, jail as you are knowingly committing fraud. And I really don't think the treasury is going to care about bad publicity.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
morlac

Post by morlac »

Im sure theyll get right on that. Right after they figure out they just cut checks to a bunch of deceased people. Of course this is prolly how they fund black projects so they might not care. ;).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

From what I've read, that is their official stance, but they may not have actual legal authority to force the repayment of funds.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good news (finally!) on the virus front:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... ee17285938

Fauci says if one of the leading vaccine candidates proves effective, we should have 200 million doses available early in 2021.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:56 pm Good news (finally!) on the virus front:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... ee17285938

Fauci says if one of the leading vaccine candidates proves effective, we should have 200 million doses available early in 2021.
Welp, that'll move the market nicely. Is Fauci trying to get back in Trump's rolodex?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Trump narrative will become that the protests spread the coronavirus second wave, not reopening the country.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zarathud wrote:The Trump narrative will become that the protests spread the coronavirus second wave, not reopening the country.
Yup and that will be why voting will be "temporarily postponed for the duration of the new public health emergency". (bars, restaurants and churches will remain open of course.)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:29 am
Zarathud wrote:The Trump narrative will become that the protests spread the coronavirus second wave, not reopening the country.
Yup and that will be why voting will be "temporarily postponed for the duration of the new public health emergency". (bars, restaurants and churches will remain open of course.)
No, what will happen will be: (1) ban on public gatherings of 10+ people, that will be enforced much more stringently in the cities than the country; (2) mail in ballots mailed diligently to rural voters than city voters; (3) many more polling stations in the countryside than in cities, etc.

Of course, it'll be a lot easier to do these in states with GOP governors than Democratic governors.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
No, what will happen will be: (1) ban on public gatherings of 10+ people, that will be enforced much more stringently in the cities than the country; (2) mail in ballots mailed diligently to rural voters than city voters; (3) many more polling stations in the countryside than in cities, etc.

Of course, it'll be a lot easier to do these in states with GOP governors than Democratic governors.
Hmmm, I like your devious autocratic thinking!

Throw in some mandatory temperature checks at the door to delay things but a strict enforcement of the poll closing times and you've got yourself some suppression!

And a cadre of lawyers to contest all paper ballots.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 am
El Guapo wrote:

Throw in some mandatory temperature checks at the door to delay things but a strict enforcement of the poll closing times and you've got yourself some suppression!

This is mostly stuff that's already being done in a lot of red states (other than the public gathering restrictions). Trump and the GOP are just going to be a lot more aggressive about it.

Then there's also the risk that voter registration information is mysteriously missing or slightly changed the day of voting in Philly, Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami, etc.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 am The Trump narrative will become that the protests spread the coronavirus second wave, not reopening the country.
I'm surprised he hasn't used this as an excuse to forbid the protests already, and as an excuse to back that ban up with force.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am
El Guapo wrote:

This is mostly stuff that's already being done in a lot of red states (other than the public gathering restrictions). Trump and the GOP are just going to be a lot more aggressive about it.

Then there's also the risk that voter registration information is mysteriously missing or slightly changed the day of voting in Philly, Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami, etc.
And perhaps the Russians actually pull the trigger on their capability. They looked around last time but didn't touch anything (probably). We've done nothing since to protect that infrastructure.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am
El Guapo wrote:

And perhaps the Russians actually pull the trigger on their capability. They looked around last time but didn't touch anything (probably). We've done nothing since to protect that infrastructure.
That's what I was referring to. If they do do something, I think deleting / changing voter registration information in cities in battleground states is the most likely thing that they'll do. Best risk / reward ratio - at the election it would only show up as a few stories on "long lines / confusions in precincts in Philadelphia" and the like. Actually proving that anything systematic happened would be very difficult, would require the cooperation of federal / state / local governments that might not be forthcoming, would take a long time, and would be easily deniable.

Of course, they could go farther than that, but it raises the difficulty and risk.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:17 am Of course, they could go farther than that, but it raises the difficulty and risk.
I think the acceptable difficulty and risk will be directly proportional to the likelihood of losing. The strategy today won't be the strategy tomorrow if there is an appreciable swing in polls/mood.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I'll be getting a covid test next week. Its my first time being tested. I've had no noticeable symptoms, although I did have what I thought was the flu in February. It was mild, and lasted a day or three.
I have a surgery coming up, so procedure is to covid test 1 week before the surgery. After that I am under house quarantine, with a daily call to the nurse to review my health and potential symptoms. I have to self check temp and such twice a day and report it to the nurse.
No one is allowed into the hospital with me on surgery day. Mine is outpatient, so I'll be leaving same day. Nurse will wheelchair me out to the car afterwards, and conduct the outpatient activities with me and the Mrs in the parking lot.

They tell me the covid test won't reveal if I had covid in the past, only if I have an active infection.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I talked to a neighbor recently, who had just come back from getting a coronavirus test. No symptoms himself and I think no known exposure, just getting tested so that he could safely go visit his parents. Said it was super quick at a neighborhood health facility. Pretty interesting - seems like a good sign in terms of testing availability, at least in Massachusetts.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Malaria Drug Promoted by Trump Did Not Prevent Covid Infections, Study Finds
The malaria drug hydroxychloroquine did not prevent Covid-19 in a rigorous study of 821 people who had been exposed to patients infected with the virus, researchers from the University of Minnesota and Canada are reporting on Wednesday.

The study was the first controlled clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine, a drug that President Trump has repeatedly promoted and recently taken himself. Conducted in the United States and Canada, this trial was the first to test whether the drug could prevent illness in people who have been exposed to the coronavirus. This type of study, in which patients are picked at random to receive either an experimental treatment or a placebo, is considered the most reliable way to measure the safety and effectiveness of a drug. The participants were health care workers and people who had been exposed at home to ill spouses, partners or parents.

“The take-home message for the general public is that if you’re exposed to someone with Covid-19, hydroxychloroquine is not an effective post-exposure, preventive therapy,” the lead author of the study, Dr. David R. Boulware, from the University of Minnesota, said in an interview.

The results are being published in The New England Journal of Medicine.
Im sure this fake news will encourage the Manchild and his followers to double down on the dosage! That could be a win win with the side effects and all...
Black lives matter!

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kinda sucks when Trump Derangement Syndrome taints your science. :roll:
Influential hydroxychloroquine data came from a small U.S. company that is allegedly 'almost certainly a scam'
https://www.theweek.com/speedreads/9179 ... ainly-scam
Lancet says concerned about validity of widely cited hydroxychloroquine study
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health ... r-BB14Wbb9
Stop funding for NPR
Enough

Post by Enough »

em2nought wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:26 am Kinda sucks when Trump Derangement Syndrome taints your science. :roll:
Influential hydroxychloroquine data came from a small U.S. company that is allegedly 'almost certainly a scam'
https://www.theweek.com/speedreads/9179 ... ainly-scam
Lancet says concerned about validity of widely cited hydroxychloroquine study
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health ... r-BB14Wbb9
Project much?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The urgency and challenges of opening K-12 schools for Fall 2020, presented in JAMA:
Preparing K-12 classrooms for the fall will require substantial resources and personnel. School systems should develop plans informed by public health guidance with broad input from parents, teachers, unions, school health services, and, where possible, students. Considerations should include not just academic planning, but also family support. Given the pandemic-related stress many children have experienced, school systems should hire additional counselors, social workers, and nurses to reach out to assist families on a regular basis. Lessons from successful community schools should be applied broadly for these types of interventions.

Congress should quickly make sufficient funding (in the billions) available to states and localities to support K-12 education for the fall. Extra funds should be available to public school districts that would be expected to face the greatest gaps in staffing and infrastructure, based on formulas that measure the number of children who receive nutritional assistance and special education services.

The federal government should also accelerate research relevant to school reopening.9 Critical questions include how best to care for children with respiratory disease and multisystem inflammatory syndrome from COVID-19, the extent of transmission in school settings, the relationship between school shutdowns on community spread, and the value of specific educational designs and interventions for disease transmission and learning.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

What has it got to be like to do the research, make specific policy recommendations, and essentially have it cast off by a political class indulging a decadent, dying civilization saying 'fuck it'?* Hopefully it'll be useful in other nations governed in sanity.

*This cheerful message brought to you by bleak reality.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not just that, but asking for all this to be done in ~8 weeks. It's not possible - here in NJ or anywhere. We've collectively squandered so much time and continue to do so because of the complete vacuum of leadership happening at a Federal level.

Meanwhile, in Arizona:
More than 1,278 confirmed and suspected COVID-19 patients were in the hospital as of Friday, the highest level by more than 100 since the state started providing that data on April 9.

Overall hospital bed usage rose to 8,320 (85% capacity) from Friday’s total of 8,139 (83% of capacity).

However, Thursday’s total of 8,820 (87% of capacity) was the highest level since the state started reporting that statistic March 26.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cool. That reminds me that I just got my u-line water drums. Got to start to begin prepping for wave 2. It doesn't seem so crazy anymore.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Always be prepping. Always.

Also - Vegas:

Las Vegas is officially back.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks for visiting Maine:
President Donald Trump traveled to Maine Friday to tour a facility that makes medical swabs used for coronavirus testing, but the swabs manufactured in the background during his visit will ultimately be thrown in the trash, the company said.

Puritan Medical Products said it will have to discard the swabs, a company spokeswoman told USA TODAY in response to questions about the visit.

It is not clear why the swabs will be scrapped, or how many. The company described its manufacturing plans for Friday as "limited" – but the disruption comes as public health officials in Maine and other states have complained that a shortage of swabs has hampered their ability to massively scale up coronavirus testing.

Workers in white lab coats, hair nets and plastic booties worked at machines making swabs while the president walked through the room. Trump, who did not wear a mask for the visit, stopped at one point to talk with some of the workers.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Welcome back COVID-19! It’s like you never left!
The Utah Department of Health is reporting 546 new cases of COVID-19 — 107 more than the previous single-day high mark — and one death from the disease Saturday.

The numbers come just one day after Utah reported more than 400 new cases, what was also then a new daily high by nearly a hundred cases, amid a recent spike that led state leaders to slow down a proposed downgrade in risk levels and keep most of Utah at the yellow, low-risk phase.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.