Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Carona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 am The scary thing is that even competent governments are having difficulty containing it.
I'll assume most aren't worrying about containment anymore. Containment opportunities were probably squandered by the Chinese.
Dogstar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am One of the things that keeps coming back to me is that our economy/society here in America isn't built at all for this sort of thing. I know that, on the surface, that's not rocket science -- what economy is? I'm talking more about health care costs and savings. Are you going to go get treated for a cough or the flu when it can mean out-of-pocket expenses that aren't in your budget? Are you going to ask to get tested for Corona given the high price of the test? Factor in that just about half of Americans are estimated to be living paycheck-to-paycheck -- how many people are going to take off work even though they might be sick? How many more people might they correspondingly infect? And if the order comes down to limit or shut down businesses temporarily, what happens to people if they can't get a paycheck? If they can't pay rent, that cascades through another sector of the economy. We're already starting to see the slowdown with air travel and conventions being cancelled.
I've unfortunately seen stories in social media about at least one person who went in out of an abundance of caution and ended up with a $4K bill. Is that true? I don't know but it doesn't matter because people will believe it and won't go to the doctor. Then they will report to work. This is where inequality and massive debt overload "rubber" meets the road.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 am I've unfortunately seen stories in social media about at least one person who went in out of an abundance of caution and ended up with a $4K bill. Is that true? I don't know but it doesn't matter because people will believe it and won't go to the doctor. Then they will report to work. This is where inequality and massive debt overload "rubber" meets the road.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:19 am
malchior wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 am I've unfortunately seen stories in social media about at least one person who went in out of an abundance of caution and ended up with a $4K bill. Is that true? I don't know but it doesn't matter because people will believe it and won't go to the doctor. Then they will report to work. This is where inequality and massive debt overload "rubber" meets the road.
Oh I have no doubt this will happen. Our broken healthcare system is about to really show it's teeth now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 amOur broken healthcare system is about to really show it's teeth now.
By that, I assume you mean "feast on the marrow of the poor and suckle on the teat of the rich"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am
Holman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:00 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:34 pm The business impact of this virus must be really manifesting itself for airlines.
as it should, right... I mean, they are THE vector for this shit to spread unlike the Black Death ever could.
Of course airplanes can spread coronavirus more quickly and more widely than fleas did, but the simple fact of modern medical knowledge means you're FAR better off vacationing in 2020 Wuhan than in 1348 Venice.
And I’m sure the airline industry felt it then too.

In any case, I’ve played enough Plague Inc to know that as soon a as Greenland and Cuba are hit, it’s game over.

Airlines are just the new shipping/naval vessels. Airline passengers are just the new rats.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sycophancy level: North Korea

EDIT: Looks like I fell for satire. Sorry. Bad morning.
Last edited by Holman on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Maybe Graham will be the first to be executed via an anti-aircraft gun on the White House lawn by General Donald Trump, MD, CBE, PGA Champion.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't know why they even bother reporting Lindsey Graham quotes at this point. Instead of going to the trouble of talking with him or writing down what he's saying, they should just say "When asked for comment Lindsey Graham said, '[obsequious nonsense]'".
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Do you have a second source on that one? I can't find anything. I can't believe he really said that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:

Wow. I'm a bad person for saying this but Graham is the right age for people who may have "complications" from Covid-19.

Assuming he said this, of course. Then again, he is all "live or die" in regards to the Asshat in Chief so let the chips fall where they may...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:45 am

Pretty sure that's satire. It's cropped up numerous times on Twitter in the past few days and been labeled as fake. His profile even says "inventor of fake news."
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am I don't know why they even bother reporting Lindsey Graham quotes at this point. Instead of going to the trouble of talking with him or writing down what he's saying, they should just say "When asked for comment Lindsey Graham said, '[obsequious nonsense]'".
I'm for this. That they amplify frankly dangerous ideas like this to the public is something the media needs to take ownership of. Read the Washington Post piece that Smoove_B linked and you'll see that media amplified misinformation lead to borderline hysteria. They need to start figuring out how to deal with this. The President is tweeting out about a "cure". Not only does it prove Graham's statement as absurd but he is pumping up the worst actor in this whole unfolding proto-disaster.

Edit: Looks like a joke but all too believable and Tom Cotton's quotes about COVID-19 were straight up problems in Alabama.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:50 am Do you have a second source on that one? I can't find anything. I can't believe he really said that.
Hmmm. I shoulda checked the source. He’s a writer but also does comedy, so this could is likely satire.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am
stessier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:50 am Do you have a second source on that one? I can't find anything. I can't believe he really said that.
Hmmm. I shoulda checked the source. He’s a writer but also does comedy, so this could is likely satire.
Not that great as satire, though, IMO. It's not much of an exaggeration compared to what Graham routinely says.

Anyway, I still back the change to the Graham reporting.
Black Lives Matter.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I flew from Mexico to Pittsburgh yesterday. I thought there might be some change to the regular customs entry at the airport. But there was none. If anything I got through customs quicker than normal. Dude grabbed my passport, stamped it and sent me on my way. Didn't even ask me any questions. So apparently they're only worried about people possibly having corona virus if they walk over the border.
FTE
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am I don't know why they even bother reporting Lindsey Graham quotes at this point. Instead of going to the trouble of talking with him or writing down what he's saying, they should just say "When asked for comment Lindsey Graham said, '[obsequious nonsense]'".
I'm for this. That they amplify frankly dangerous ideas like this to the public is something the media needs to take ownership of. Read the Washington Post piece that Smoove_B linked and you'll see that media amplified misinformation lead to borderline hysteria. They need to start figuring out how to deal with this. The President is tweeting out about a "cure". Not only does it prove Graham's statement as absurd but he is pumping up the worst actor in this whole unfolding proto-disaster.

Edit: Looks like a joke but all too believable and Tom Cotton's quotes about COVID-19 were straight up problems in Alabama.
Sorry, but who's amplifying what here? Good on the corrections and all, but . . . seriously.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:08 am
I will never again think it totally implausible when I'm watching a zombie movie and they talk about the government inaction making it worse. Instead I'll be grimacing.
The past three years have made a surprising number of far-fetched movie plots seem plausible.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am One of the things that keeps coming back to me is that our economy/society here in America isn't built at all for this sort of thing. I know that, on the surface, that's not rocket science -- what economy is? I'm talking more about health care costs and savings. Are you going to go get treated for a cough or the flu when it can mean out-of-pocket expenses that aren't in your budget? Are you going to ask to get tested for Corona given the high price of the test? Factor in that just about half of Americans are estimated to be living paycheck-to-paycheck -- how many people are going to take off work even though they might be sick? How many more people might they correspondingly infect? And if the order comes down to limit or shut down businesses temporarily, what happens to people if they can't get a paycheck? If they can't pay rent, that cascades through another sector of the economy. We're already starting to see the slowdown with air travel and conventions being cancelled.
It's also the factor that right now, half of the population doesn't trust anything the government says, while the other half has been trained to disregard everything the media tells them in favor of sources of information that are heavily tainted in favor of interpretations that support the ambitions of those in power.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am
Holman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:00 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:34 pm The business impact of this virus must be really manifesting itself for airlines.
as it should, right... I mean, they are THE vector for this shit to spread unlike the Black Death ever could.
Of course airplanes can spread coronavirus more quickly and more widely than fleas did, but the simple fact of modern medical knowledge means you're FAR better off vacationing in 2020 Wuhan than in 1348 Venice.
And I’m sure the airline industry felt it then too.

In any case, I’ve played enough Plague Inc to know that as soon a as Greenland and Cuba are hit, it’s game over.
There's always hope for Madagascar and Iceland.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:33 am

Sorry, but who's amplifying what here? Good on the corrections and all, but . . . seriously.
Oh please. Many (beyond here even) made the same mistake but the point still stands.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like what Trump had to say about Lindsey.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/ ... lts-219374
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:54 am

Oh please. Many (beyond here even) made the same mistake but the point still stands.
Yep, I agree, and apologies if it came across as a dig. Not trying to single out anyone here for anything egregious, just saying that the whole "amplifying disinformation" thing is an equal-opportunity offender, which I think is the point we agree still stands if I'm reading your post correctly.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:01 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:54 am

Yep, I agree, and apologies if it came across as a dig. Not trying to single out anyone here for anything egregious, just saying that the whole "amplifying disinformation" thing is an equal-opportunity offender, which I think is the point we agree still stands if I'm reading your post correctly.
It is an equal opportunity offender but the scales are very different. Things like this joke are all too plausible so people get upset by them (myself included). However, we have an entire media establishment 'programmed' to trust the word of officials and broadcast them as headlines around the world. Trump et. al. have used this to spread corrosive disinformation far and wide and yes some prankster obviously could get a punch in too. This joke took...checking calendar...about 5-6 days to land here. It wasn't widely shared.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN20L2S0
A White House official confirmed that the administration was exploring the use of the law to spur manufacturing of protective gear. Both the DHS official and the White House requested anonymity to discuss the issue.

“Let’s say ‘Company A’ makes a multitude of respiratory masks but they spend 80% of their assembly lines on masks that painters wear and only 20% on the N95,” the White House official said. “We will have the ability to tell corporations, ‘No, you change your production line so it is now 80% of the N95 masks and 20% of the other.’”

“It allows you to basically direct things happening that need to get done,” the official added.

HHS declined to comment. DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
But that's socialism. I thought that's the big nono. Mind you, if say Trump had a socialist expanded CDC and virologists on staff wasting tax payer money who could make an informed decision to show this is public health crisis in the making and that mandating a shift in production was necessary, then well, that's where this whole taxes for public services that put private enterprise and "the market" at risk come in to play. Like say, medicare for all, where we have single payer system and private enterprise works with government as a preferred partner who can actually it's authority to keep stock holders of private enterprise who hold their customers captive in check while still not being a parasite to the company.... Hmmmm....
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's not socialism.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And there’s precedent during WWII.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Student didn't do the reading.

Trump's tightly crossed arms are always the tell that he doesn't understand and doesn't like what he's hearing. He wants to believe that he can order research to go faster, and he doesn't get how it doesn't work that way.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here's the Science President suggesting we can have a cure tomorrow because clinical trials are instant:

It must be so scary to be an actual expert trapped in a room with this despotic idiot.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's interesting to see all my right-wing co-workers and friends/acquaintances falling into lockstep with the party line. IE - this is all overblown hype and paranoia stirred by fake news.

While I certainly agree the media is great at hyping an issue and is probably guilty to some extent of sensationalist coverage, to dismiss the threat and not take it seriously is pure folly.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 am Pretty sure that's satire. It's cropped up numerous times on Twitter in the past few days and been labeled as fake. His profile even says "inventor of fake news."
Okay, so that was satire. This is not:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Rep:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they have a vaccine in a couple months lets give it to the orange moron then expose the hell out of him to the virus and see which one gets him first. He should back up his bullshit mouth and lack of grey matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Science President Trump suggesting that they could just use the existing flu vaccine on Coronavirus.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 pm It's interesting to see all my right-wing co-workers and friends/acquaintances falling into lockstep with the party line. IE - this is all overblown hype and paranoia stirred by fake news.

While I certainly agree the media is great at hyping an issue and is probably guilty to some extent of sensationalist coverage, to dismiss the threat and not take it seriously is pure folly.
Even worse, this was something somehow created by the Democrats since impeachment failed, there's just too much coincidence for it not to be. Doesn't matter that it started in China, doesn't matter that other countries are having problems, it's all created by the Democrats, apparently in some secret lab they must have (last phrase is mine but it's the logical conclusion).
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:41 pm It must be so scary to be an actual expert trapped in a room with this despotic idiot.
I'd be looking around the room, going from face to face, trying to figure out who's REALLY in charge here. SOMEbody must understand sciencing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I see he has his typical 'Walter' face on. I guess he didn't listen to his nanny when she told him some day his face would stick like that.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Grifman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:42 pm it's all created by the Democrats, apparently in some secret lab they must have (last phrase is mine but it's the logical conclusion).
Hillary cooked it up in her secret lair. :mrgreen: I'm leaning more toward the Chinese came up with the ultimate idea to make a killing in the markets.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

China's air pollution drops dramatically in the wake of Coronavirus.

Maps show drastic drop in China’s air pollution after coronavirus quarantine
Maps depicting nitrogen dioxide levels in Wuhan, China from January 1st through February 25th of last year show the region blanketed in fiery colors, with parts in a deeper red signifying high concentrations of the pollutant. Fast forward to this year, and maps of the same region show a stark difference: they’re nearly all blue, showing lower concentrations.

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

So maybe it is better not trying to stop the outbreak. Let it spread to the whole world. Maybe by sacrificing 2% or less of world population to this virus, we'll avoid climate change.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Perhaps one simple trick to stop an outbreak is to make it impossible to prove it exists.

"In New York state, the person who tested positive was only the 32nd test we've done in this state. That is a national scandal. They're testing 10,000 a day in some countries." - ER Dr. Matt McCarthy