Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Corona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by malchior »

Kushner is a big part of why Trump is being dragged back into fantasy land on the crisis. Kushner found him a simple fix. Of course, Trump went for it. He is simple personified.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In "confirming he's an awful person" news:

Rand Paul's aides had never been told that Paul might have been exposed to the virus or had been tested for it, according to a person familiar with the situation, and some began to fear they could have contracted it and spread it to their friends & family.
Yesterday he was indignant over the suggestion his test was inappropriate or that he was going to the pool and gym after being tested (which, I don't understand why they were open). But this? No regard for others - not even the people that work for him. Sociopath.

The stuff on Jared doesn't surprised me at all. Both that he's also a moron and that Trump made him his right-hand man.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This was enough to make even Mrs. Skinypupy (who has been a loyal customer of Hobby Lobby for years) tell me last night, "I don't think I need to be shopping there anymore".

Hobby Lobby owner David Green is telling store managers to stay open despite the pandemic because his wife had a vision from god.

He also warns they'll all have to "tighten their belts" soon. His net worth is $6.4 billion—hourly employees don't get paid sick leave.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:54 pm Either the Matrix is glitching or I feel like we have the "packy" discussion every few weeks.
I must be in the wrong threads then, as this is the first time I've ever seen it.
Same.
Huh, “packy?” Had to look it up, this is the first I’ve heard mention of the term.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 am
Yesterday he was indignant over the suggestion his test was inappropriate or that he was going to the pool and gym after being tested (which, I don't understand why they were open).
IIUC, based on what I heard, it was padlocked, but all the congress critters know the combination.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:54 pm Either the Matrix is glitching or I feel like we have the "packy" discussion every few weeks.
I must be in the wrong threads then, as this is the first time I've ever seen it.
Same.
Huh, “packy?” Had to look it up, this is the first I’ve heard mention of the term.
For what it's worth it's short for 'package store'. I guess because they would package up the booze, or something.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 am
Yesterday he was indignant over the suggestion his test was inappropriate or that he was going to the pool and gym after being tested (which, I don't understand why they were open).
IIUC, based on what I heard, it was padlocked, but all the congress critters know the combination.
"Closed" but conditioned and chlorine levels checked every hour, no doubt.

Closed. *wink wink*
Like:
Illegal. *wink wink*
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nation's infectious disease leaders have a message for President Trump:
President Trump Must Invoke Defense Production Act Now for Medical Supply and Equipment Production

Infectious disease and HIV physicians, healthcare epidemiologists and other medical professionals on the frontlines defending our country from COVID-19 urgently need equipment and supplies to protect themselves, identify infections, treat patients, and save lives. In health settings across the country, we are confronting shortages of essential equipment—including viral culture swabs, gloves, masks, eye protection, gowns and ventilators—that we need now to diagnose and treat patients and to maintain a healthy and sufficient workforce in the face of this fast-moving and destructive virus.

The Defense Production Act was created to maintain our nation’s security by ensuring sufficient supply and distribution of critical resources during times of crisis. We ask President Trump to immediately implement it to increase production of urgently needed medical supplies and equipment, before it is too late.
I know big business already met with Trump and said it would hurt their bottom lines, but at least these doctors tried.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I'd say we're near 100% that he's going to reopen in two weeks. So basically he's gambling with a million peoples lives to try and get elected again. I think the only thing that would stop him is if things get really bad over the next two weeks. I'm terrified... I know my company for sure will tell me to go back in.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am Well I'd say we're near 100% that he's going to reopen in two weeks. So basically he's gambling with a million peoples lives to try and get elected again. I think the only thing that would stop him is if things get really bad over the next two weeks. I'm terrified... I know my company for sure will tell me to go back in.
Most highly dense Blue state governors aren't going to listen to him. The very big corporations won't either. They understand the risks.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:52 am
Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am Well I'd say we're near 100% that he's going to reopen in two weeks. So basically he's gambling with a million peoples lives to try and get elected again. I think the only thing that would stop him is if things get really bad over the next two weeks. I'm terrified... I know my company for sure will tell me to go back in.
Most highly dense Blue state governors aren't going to listen to him. The very big corporations won't either. They understand the risks.
We'll see... If there's any way for my owner to get us back into the office we will be there. I guess I had a good run. :P Oh and if you really don't know how fucked we are. His approval ratings are going up not down. Even if we survive this the country is totally broken.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What I think is even more concerning is that he's setting up a scenario where governors are going to be put in the position where they are deciding what to do for their states. What happens when NY/NJ/PA/CA remains under a shelter-in-place order but FL/MI/TN/TX/AL/OH/OK all decide to follow the guidance of President Trump and resume normal function?

What I still think is being lost is how this all works. You look at the day the government orders a shelter-in-place or lockdown and then wait 10-14 days to see what happens. We won't know (for example) in NJ if this worked until ~4/1 at the earliest. Until then, cases are going to increase rapidly, daily. Everything hinges on (1) compliance and (2) aggressive testing. I don't get the sense either is happening in NJ and in other states.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I hope our governor tells Trump to fuck off. He shut things down in NC pretty early in the crisis.

I really shudder to think what kind of mess we'd be in if McCrory had won re-election.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:55 am
What I think is even more concerning is that he's setting up a scenario where governors are going to be put in the position where they are deciding what to do for their states. What happens when NY/NJ/PA/CA remains under a shelter-in-place order but FL/MI/TN/TX/AL/OH/OK all decide to follow the guidance of President Trump and resume normal function?

What I still think is being lost is how this all works. You look at the day the government orders a shelter-in-place or lockdown and then wait 10-14 days to see what happens. We won't know (for example) in NJ if this worked until ~4/1 at the earliest. Until then, cases are going to increase rapidly, daily. Everything hinges on (1) compliance and (2) aggressive testing. I don't get the sense either is happening in NJ and in other states.
NY is doing that to be fair. Unfortunately NYC in particular has a high risk have getting worse for awhile so they'll say it doesn't work. Why bother? I could see blue state governors understanding that and continuing on despite that. The question will be how will Trump respond and what other consequences will we see from the crisis. It's pretty unknowable at the moment.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cases are still growing exponentially, with deaths lagging by a week or two. Unless the trend line unexpectedly bends in the next couple of weeks, the numbers are going to keep getting scarier and scarier. I have no doubt Trump will declare victory the moment it looks like the curve has crested, but I don't think even he is reckless enough to move before that.

Now, having said that, underpopulated states don't need the same measures as boom states. WY has like 6 people per square mile. AK has fewer than 2/sq mi (although more clustered than in WY). Social distancing is baked-in there. Measures that are crucial in NJ (1,200/sq mi) aren't necessarily appropriate for the rural states.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The states made closure decisions without out him, is there any reason to think they will bow to his whim and reopen when the danger is still clear and present? Maybe some of his red state cabana boys will, but I don't see rational governors following suit.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am
The states made closure decisions without out him, is there any reason to think they will bow to his whim and reopen when the danger is still clear and present? Maybe some of his red state cabana boys will, but I don't see rational governors following suit.
True at least maybe the sane states will be okay? It's just terrifying to think that we can't trust the country to think in our best interests at all anymore. How things change so quickly.
Last edited by Octavious on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

House panel warns coronavirus could destroy Postal Service by June
"Based on a number of briefings and warnings this week about a critical fall-off in mail across the country, it has become clear that the Postal Service will not survive the summer without immediate help from Congress and the White House," said Oversight Committee Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) in a statement.

Maloney, who was joined in the statement by Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), indicated that the Postal service has seen a "drastic" reduction in mail volume and could shutter by the summer without intervention, a collapse that could, among other things, jeopardize access to mail-order prescription drugs for millions of Americans, especially in rural communities.

A Postal Service shutdown would also affect the ability of voters to cast ballots by mail.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am
The problem will come when individual cities like Houston may decide not to reopen when the rest of the state does.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 am
Cases are still growing exponentially, with deaths lagging by a week or two. Unless the trend line unexpectedly bends in the next couple of weeks, the numbers are going to keep getting scarier and scarier. I have no doubt Trump will declare victory the moment it looks like the curve has crested, but I don't think even he is reckless enough to move before that.

Now, having said that, underpopulated states don't need the same measures as boom states. WY has like 6 people per square mile. AK has fewer than 2/sq mi (although more clustered than in WY). Social distancing is baked-in there. Measures that are crucial in NJ (1,200/sq mi) aren't necessarily appropriate for the rural states.
Social distancing only works if you never bump into anyone. I live in a rural area and I still have to go to one of two grocery stores that serve a few thousand people. I think the spread of the virus will be slower in rural areas, but still present and still moving - and also creating new cases that drift in and out of those rural areas and tap more populated areas... for example, we like to go from our 3,700 population town down to the 130,000 person city an hour south, maybe once every two weeks, to visit relatives and enjoy some different venues.

In terms of re-opening... total fantasy. The US track of infection is beyond any other country in the world right now. Everywhere else, after this many days of infection, stronger measures were taken to stop the virus and they're committed to it.

This is us right now.

This is our nearest "competition" for 2nd place on the infection list, Italy.

Now, we might be spiking furiously because we're testing more - but that also means we're WAY behind on identifying who has it and even knowing how many cases we really have. I just don't see that trending down. Not with our glorious leader telling people to go out and ignore the media during critical lost time.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am The problem will come when individual cities like Houston may decide not to reopen when the rest of the state does.
If all the major cities stay closed, you might be fine. The virus likely doesn't spread so well in sparsely populated ranch land.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My company transports more mail than the post office, one reason we're given the franchise tag I mean deemed critical business.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:36 am House panel warns coronavirus could destroy Postal Service by June
"Based on a number of briefings and warnings this week about a critical fall-off in mail across the country, it has become clear that the Postal Service will not survive the summer without immediate help from Congress and the White House," said Oversight Committee Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) in a statement.

Maloney, who was joined in the statement by Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), indicated that the Postal service has seen a "drastic" reduction in mail volume and could shutter by the summer without intervention, a collapse that could, among other things, jeopardize access to mail-order prescription drugs for millions of Americans, especially in rural communities.

A Postal Service shutdown would also affect the ability of voters to cast ballots by mail.
GOP lens:
House panel blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Excellent opportunity to suppress votes!!!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

My son is a senior in high school here in NJ and among the many things we're anxious about is his senior trip. It's set for April 18th-22nd in Orlando.

As of right now we're assuming/hoping it's cancelled, as sad as that might be. From what we've been told (this has never been an issue before) we're likely to see a full or nearly full refund if the parks remain closed and states are still in lockdown. If some states/cities/airlines/parks decide to open that might screw things up. Really don't want to see $1600 go down the drain.

My wife is a teacher and this week the message has been floating between likely reopen in May and possibly remote learning the rest of the year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 am Excellent opportunity to suppress votes!!!
[/quote]

The donkeys need to relocate some polling places to the beaches. That'll bring out the young vote, and let those suppressed voters be the old, infirm ones who don't want to leave their house or nursing homes. You know, part of his base.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daveman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:57 am My son is a senior in high school here in NJ and among the many things we're anxious about is his senior trip. It's set for April 18th-22nd in Orlando.
My daughter is in 8th grade and her school trip to Boston (early May) was cancelled yesterday. I'd expect all school trips to be cancelled. FYI, the governor of FL has said people traveling from NY/NJ/CT by airplane right now will be put into a mandatory 14 day quarantine.
My wife is a teacher and this week the message has been floating between likely reopen in May and possibly remote learning the rest of the year.
I wouldn't expect NJ schools to reopen in May. I don't know anything official, I'm just threading the needle on what I've been told. Depending on how things unfold over the next ~3 months, schools resuming (in our area) in September might be in question.

EDIT: clarified
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The rate of coronavirus cases in New York is increasing dramatically more than anticipated and the apex or height of the infections could strike in two or three weeks, when as many as 140,000 hospital beds may be needed, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Tuesday.
Cuomo again called on the federal government to provide ventilators from its stockpile of 20,000 to the state of New York.

"New York is the canary in a coal mine. ... We have the highest and fastest rate of infection," Cuomo said. "We're just getting there first."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is sending 400 ventilators to New York, which Cuomo said is the hardest-hit state in the country but he warned that other states will follow the same trend.

"Really, what am I going to do with 400 ventilators when I need 30,000," he said. "You pick the 26,000 people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."
Hospitals are being ordered by Cuomo to increase their capacity of beds by at least 50 percent — and up to 100 percent if possible — as the health care system braces for what may be a critical need to treat tens of thousands of people. Cuomo said he is also exploring converting hotels and college dormitories into makeshift hospitals.
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 153371.php
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

"Well, look, I'll be the oversight. I'll be the oversight."
'I'll be the oversight': Trump volunteers to be a check on himself
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Defiant wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:21 pm
Brought to you by the man now famously quoted for "I don’t take responsibility at all."

I'd laugh if I didn't want to cry if I wasn't enraged if I wasn't afraid for the future.
Black Lives Matter

raydude

Post by raydude »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 am

Social distancing only works if you never bump into anyone. I live in a rural area and I still have to go to one of two grocery stores that serve a few thousand people. I think the spread of the virus will be slower in rural areas, but still present and still moving - and also creating new cases that drift in and out of those rural areas and tap more populated areas... for example, we like to go from our 3,700 population town down to the 130,000 person city an hour south, maybe once every two weeks, to visit relatives and enjoy some different venues.

In terms of re-opening... total fantasy. The US track of infection is beyond any other country in the world right now. Everywhere else, after this many days of infection, stronger measures were taken to stop the virus and they're committed to it.

This is us right now.

This is our nearest "competition" for 2nd place on the infection list, Italy.

Now, we might be spiking furiously because we're testing more - but that also means we're WAY behind on identifying who has it and even knowing how many cases we really have. I just don't see that trending down. Not with our glorious leader telling people to go out and ignore the media during critical lost time.
Where did you get these graphs? I'd like to spread the word because that shit is scary and people need to be scared into demanding more action!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In times like this with the House and Senate my family would tell to "either shit or get off the pot"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

2 former NCAA men's basketball players died in the last day or so of the virus. I'm sure they weren't in their 'playing days' level of fitness, but on the whole I would bet they were more fit than the average American.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-bask ... oronavirus
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

raydude wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 pmWhere did you get these graphs? I'd like to spread the word because that shit is scary and people need to be scared into demanding more action!
I've been checking the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus website for this daily. Often multiple times a day. The infection numbers shown there are more current than you'll get in any news organization and you can narrow down by state (and now county in the US) so you know what's up when the news outlets aren't spamming the data you want.

Select a country. The graph will be down in the bottom-right corner. The "admin" tabs at the bottom of the country list will let you see states after selecting a country.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Please do not take medical advice from a man who looked directly at a solar eclipse.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:21 pm
I don't know about you all, but I'm getting the feeling that the worst is most definitely past us. Between the response at the federal level, the glut of cures and preventives, and the commitment to each other I'm seeing from my fellow Americans, we kicked this thing's ass!

I'll be shaking your hand tomorrow as I invite you to my celebratory house party this Friday!!!

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Politician in Texas: The elderly should be willing to man up and die for the economy.
Dan Patrick, the Republican lieutenant governor of Texas, told Fox News' disproportionately older audience Monday night that he and other American seniors would be willing to risk dying from the coronavirus in order to ensure that the economy doesn't slide into a serious recession.

"If that's the exchange, I'm all in," Patrick said of the choice between risking infection and protecting the economy by returning people to work. "I've talked to hundreds of people... making calls all the time, and everyone says pretty much the same thing: That we can't lose our whole country, we're having an economic collapse."

"My message is: Let's get back to work," said Patrick, who emphasized that he is a grandparent. "Those of us who are 70-plus, we'll take care of ourselves, but don't sacrifice the country. Don't do that. Don't ruin this great American dream."

"You're basically saying that this disease could take your life, but that's not the scariest thing to you," replied Fox News host Tucker Carlson. "There's something that would be worse than dying."

"Yeah," said Patrick.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Jeff V wrote:
The fun part is when businesses that wish to follow Trump in states that have lockdowns try to open, spurring fines and legal challenges. How many people really want to challenge their employer if they’re told to show up (or lose their job) if the governor is telling them to stay home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Defiant

Post by Defiant »