Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Kraken »

Jaymon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:24 pm Oregon. Last week on Friday? (I lose track of days) I went to the restaurant to pick up my order, and they were seating people inside, every other table. It also looked like they were training a new waitress. That upset me. Not because they were open, but because they didn't rehire the old staff.
Maybe they had good reason, I don't know, and I didn't ask.
A lot of low-paid workers are making more on unemployment than they could make working, and aren't eager to go back to risking their lives until the $600 federal bonus expires at the end of July.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Epidemic is now surging in rural US. Plus lack of support for rural hospitals is particularly alarming. “We’re swamped with patients now. We don’t have the equipment & resources like the cities do." Just look at the ominous graphs.
Hoax!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wish that article wasn't paywalled. Would love to send it to a few of the "this is only happening in Democrat controlled cities" folks I know.

Then again, they'd immediately disregard it as fake news, so I probably should bother.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If only Obama had warned us of this.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Tao

Post by Tao »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:48 pm
Jaymon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:24 pm Oregon. Last week on Friday? (I lose track of days) I went to the restaurant to pick up my order, and they were seating people inside, every other table. It also looked like they were training a new waitress. That upset me. Not because they were open, but because they didn't rehire the old staff.
Maybe they had good reason, I don't know, and I didn't ask.
A lot of low-paid workers are making more on unemployment than they could make working, and aren't eager to go back to risking their lives until the $600 federal bonus expires at the end of July.
That's okay, Senator Portman R-Ohio, has a plan to fix that. Just throw more money at the problem. He is proposing that those receiving the $600 benefit should continue to receive $450 of the $600 IF they go back to work. Larry Kudlow say's the WH is taking a good look at the plan.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like that $2000 a month for a year plan myself.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Epidemic is now surging in rural US. Plus lack of support for rural hospitals is particularly alarming. “We’re swamped with patients now. We don’t have the equipment & resources like the cities do." Just look at the ominous graphs.
Am I missing something, or is this data presentation format so busy as to be useless?

XY graph lines placed atop geographical maps is a *very* confusing way to display data.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pmXY graph lines placed atop geographical maps is a *very* confusing way to display data.
No, you're right - it's not easy to decode. If you click on the image and then get the zoomed in pictures, it's a bit easier to see. You can focus on a single dot (a city) and then note the color/thickness of the line as it ascends. For example, the pictures of the two cities in Nebraska and one in Iowa - purple and almost straight up.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think it's just supposed to show that the prevailing tails are almost entirely up and to the right for rural areas, which it does effectively
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

If we could have prevented 9/11 by staying inside for two months and wearing masks, I wonder if we would have.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:03 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:59 pm The kids are holding up surprisingly well, and are probably taking social distancing so far. My wife encouraged our 3 year old to meet a new neighbor around the same age, to which she refused, saying "no mommy, the virus!"
Your 3-year old isn't wrong here. Particularly given your wife's profession, your kids probably shouldn't be having play dates, as you have a greater than typical chance of being asymptomatic spreaders.
We didn't ask her to have a play date, we asked her to say hi from 20 feet away separated by a fence.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Alefroth wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm If we could have prevented 9/11 by staying inside for two months and wearing masks, I wonder if we would have.
I'm wondering more about the trade of money for lives. If we had been told we'd have to shut the economy down for months in order to prevent 9/11, how many people would have said "No"? A lot judging by what I see going on today. The funny thing is the ones least willing to give up money to save lives are the ones most "Rah Rah USA USA Freedom!". They should start a movement to change the stars and stripes on the flag to $.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What if the virus's preferred victim was young-to-middle aged white males? That the main demographic for bad outcomes is old, sick, and non-white, this is just another chance for them to proudly proclaim their deplorability.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:44 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:59 pm The kids are holding up surprisingly well, and are probably taking social distancing so far. My wife encouraged our 3 year old to meet a new neighbor around the same age, to which she refused, saying "no mommy, the virus!"
Your 3-year old isn't wrong here. Particularly given your wife's profession, your kids probably shouldn't be having play dates, as you have a greater than typical chance of being asymptomatic spreaders.
We didn't ask her to have a play date, we asked her to say hi from 20 feet away separated by a fence.
Ah. My bad for presuming facts not in evidence. Twenty feet is probably pretty safe!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

gameoverman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm If we could have prevented 9/11 by staying inside for two months and wearing masks, I wonder if we would have.
I'm wondering more about the trade of money for lives. If we had been told we'd have to shut the economy down for months in order to prevent 9/11, how many people would have said "No"? A lot judging by what I see going on today. The funny thing is the ones least willing to give up money to save lives are the ones most "Rah Rah USA USA Freedom!". They should start a movement to change the stars and stripes on the flag to $.
The lives, money, and diplomatic capital we spent in direct response (and mis-response) to 9/11 probably derailed the country for a full generation. Corona pales in comparison.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 pm Ah. My bad for presuming facts not in evidence. Twenty feet is probably pretty safe!
h
I think so, but the take-away is (1) my young kids are taking this super seriously and (2) they are handling it quite well! I do hope it doesn't hurt their sociability in the long term, though...they were both doing well in that regard.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 pm Ah. My bad for presuming facts not in evidence. Twenty feet is probably pretty safe!
h
I think so, but the take-away is (1) my young kids are taking this super seriously and (2) they are handling it quite well! I do hope it doesn't hurt their sociability in the long term, though...they were both doing well in that regard.
You probably already know this, but kids are amazing at adapting to crisis circumstances. (Think of all the WW2 European kids who grew up to be engaged and effective adults in the next generation.)

What they need is adults helping them know what to do in response to whatever is happening.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump is proud of the 100,000 deaths. The news states that he said without his great leadership 1,000,000 would be dead. Filthy waste of skin.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rural states surging, eh?

I can vouch for rural Maine feeling more relaxed. I think there's only so long a person can maintain "Red Alert" - and with our low case count, people are struggling. I've been seeing more elderly people without masks, more men without masks, and more women without masks.

I still wear my mask everywhere, but I've caught myself going full hands-on with a door or two, just grasping the handle like it's not going to bite me. I sanitize my hands afterwards, but it's made me realize I'm slipping too.

Between tourists coming up from more infected states and people slacking in precautions, it won't be a surprise to me at all when we see a surge in cases.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:44 pm
Smart kid , still.

One thing she knows is that adults mostly control her, and she can’t be expected to know how far this ‘meet the other girl’ would go.
6feet / 20 feet , to a 3 year old.
Fences? Easily bypassed by adults.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 am I still wear my mask everywhere, but I've caught myself going full hands-on with a door or two, just grasping the handle like it's not going to bite me. I sanitize my hands afterwards, but it's made me realize I'm slipping too.
Sounds like you could use a Covid Key:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW my understanding right now is that the risk of transmission via touching inanimate objects is pretty low.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The best part is after she spends the entire video demonstrating how to avoid touching things...she then rests her hand on a giant piece of machinery.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The whole things's kind of comical, as if your concern was transmission via touching, using this device to touch literally all the things would also be a concern. You're either washing your hands or you're not.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 am The whole things's kind of comical, as if your concern was transmission via touching, using this device to touch literally all the things would also be a concern. You're either washing your hands or you're not.
That's why you need a Covid Key Key. So you aren't touching the Covid Key.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just keep some human stock on hand to open doors and touch things for me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:30 am
Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 am The whole things's kind of comical, as if your concern was transmission via touching, using this device to touch literally all the things would also be a concern. You're either washing your hands or you're not.
That's why you need a Covid Key Key. So you aren't touching the Covid Key.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The human world is made of touching though. Its just a hand and arm thing. Stuff has to be put on shelves or moved off shelves or transported or used. Theres just no way around our evolution.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 am The whole things's kind of comical, as if your concern was transmission via touching, using this device to touch literally all the things would also be a concern. You're either washing your hands or you're not washing the key.
FTFY.

Though I agree that the notion of obsessing over the risk of surface transmission is largely overblown, unless you happen to reside in a particularly densely-populated hotspot for COVID infections such as NYC.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW - some informal (aka Reddit) detective work is going on around undercounted COVID-19 deaths. I started very skeptical but ran down a couple and they are just putting straightforward numbers that the CDC collected. The tl;dr is that whenever someone impartial does an analysis we'll likely find out this was worse than we thought and continues to go under reported.

From the source article that kicked off the reddit thread:
“Pneumonia kills about 50,000 people each year in the U.S., according to the CDC.
This year, at least 89,555 deaths have been attributed nationwide to pneumonia between February and mid-May.
It tends to follow a typical flu season, coming on in December and peaking in January and February before declining in March to April.
But preliminary CDC data from this year show pneumonia deaths steadily climbed in March to peak in April, mirroring the trend line for deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.
Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:
Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”
By the way - here is a comment pertinent one for right-wing internet superstar Florida
I just ran the numbers for Florida with some of the links to the CDC data above.According to the CDC we've had 1,762 deaths from Covid and 5,185 from Pneumonia.

And if you average take the average number of Pneumonia deaths that occurred from Jan to March from 2013 to 2018, you get 1,210. That's insane.

edit: at some point it was easy to see the links to the data in a comment I replied to - but this blew up, so here it is:

https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html - data for prior years

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm - current data

Also - that 5,185 might need to be reduced by 926 to account for double counting cases with Covid & Pneumonia, but also, my average was overstated because i was including January when CDC only includes Feb-May (FL average drops to 918)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

How it will play out:

Someone will have wrote:Pneumonia Remains a Disease of Poverty

The eonomic shutdowns increased poverty.

So what they're really saying that shutting down the economy actually caused more deaths than we thought? Liberate!!!!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:23 pm
“Pneumonia kills about 50,000 people each year in the U.S., according to the CDC.
This year, at least 89,555 deaths have been attributed nationwide to pneumonia between February and mid-May.
It tends to follow a typical flu season, coming on in December and peaking in January and February before declining in March to April.
But preliminary CDC data from this year show pneumonia deaths steadily climbed in March to peak in April, mirroring the trend line for deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.
Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:
Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”
I didn't click through and read your source's source but this has been my :grund: from the beginning of this with the deaths are inflated drones. Of course it's not the virus that's killing you. Its the pneumonia, the heart attack, the stroke, and the organ failure but we've never talked about proximate causes that way. Smoking isn't killing us. Heart failure is. Cancer isn't killing us. Organ failure is. But we just don't talk that way. If this is the hill you want to change the way we parse information on, then I distrust you, not that hospitals are being required by state governments bereft of federal oversight except the corrupt CDC are inflating numbers to make the president look bad and increase our reliance on vaccines and their power hungry makers.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I no longer trust the CDC at all after this year. They seem to only be typical Trump butt hole lickers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A man who was involved in an effort to hang an effigy of Kentucky's governor outside the state capitol was fired from his job on Tuesday.

The Neil Huffman Auto Group announced on Twitter that an internal investigation had confirmed that one of its employees took part in an armed demonstration outside the state capitol building against Gov. Andy Beshear's (D) stay-at-home order. The demonstration involved hanging an effigy with a photo of Beshear's face attached to it.

The auto sales company added that it had fired the unnamed employee on Tuesday, calling his action an "implied threat" against the governor. The effigy bore the phrase "sic semper tyranis," a Latin phrase believed to be uttered by John Wilkes Booth after the assassination of President Lincoln.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hate doxxing. Hate where we're at. Hate how bold these psychos with delusions of patriotism have become. Was there something in light of Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols we could have done better to change this course?
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

LordMortis wrote:Hate doxxing. Hate where we're at. Hate how bold these psychos with delusions of patriotism have become. Was there something in light of Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols we could have done better to change this course?
Not equate nationalism with patriotism. Use regulation disincentivise partisan news. Demand as voters that corruption is as harshly penalized as drugs. Stronger liable laws. Giving young angry white men an outlet other than liberals and immigrants. Actually fucking invest in infrastructure. Demand that rural states are clearly educated the extent to which they are indebted to the urban states particularly New York and California. Not equate capitalism with patriotism and democratic socialism with Stalin style communism. Not let far left people with no sense be the most visible mouth pieces of the middle. Fight harder to illuminate the difference between religion and morality.

For a start.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I happened upon this on Facebook. I don't think all the links will carry thru entirely:

Paul Coe: I’m a Republican. Trump’s supporters never will admit it, but even they know he blew it. 98,000 and counting dead, 40+ million unemployed, countless trillions vanished from the economy. Our very way of life in shambles... The shocking and preventable severity of its impact on the health, unemployment, and stock market of the United States is absolutely Trumps fault. 100% No Doubt About It.

Before we get into the whole chronology of Trumps failings, it’s important to point out that from January to August 2019 the Dept of Health and Human Services (HHS) conducted a war-game style simulation dubbed "The Crimson Contagion" to test U.S. preparedness, wherein a hypothetical respiratory virus begins in China and rapidly spreads throughout the World. The ensuing report found that the U.S. was dangerously unprepared. Trump ignored the devastating findings, and even claims “nobody could have prevented this” to this day! (https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-trump-admin...)

Link to the actual HHS report>>> https://archive.org/details/crimson-con ... 9/mode/2up

Below is a detailed account of everything else Trump is being blamed for, starting with his transition to power in 2016:

* During the transition of power in the winter of 16-17, the Obama Administration warned Trump on the clear and present danger of pandemic and told him the National Strategic Stockpile was under stocked. Trump was elected with both houses of congress and could have acted. (https://www.propublica.org/.../us-emergency-medical...)

* In January 2018, at Trump’s direction, the CDC paused, reduced, or stopped funding epidemic prevention activities in 39 out of 49 countries including China. (https://www.wsj.com/.../cdc-to-scale-ba ... -in-dozens...)

* In April 2018, Trump fired Homeland Security Advisor Tom Bossart, whose job was to coordinate a response to global pandemics. He was not replaced.
(https://www.foxnews.com/.../homeland-se ... dviser-tom...)

* In May 2018, Trump shut down the entire Global Health Security and Bio-Defense agency. Yes, he did. (https://www.kff.org/.../reuters-examines-changes-to-cdc.../)

* In May 2018, Dr. Luciana Borio, Trump’s biodefense preparedness adviser warned that a flu pandemic was the country’s No. 1 health security threat, and that the U.S. was not prepared.
Borio subsequently left the Trump administration in 2019. Trump didn’t heed Dr. Borio’s warning or replace her. (https://www.usatoday.com/.../coronaviru ... 064881002/)

* In May 2018, Tim Ziemer, the Senior Director for Global Health Security and Bio-Defense at the National Security Counsel was removed by the Trump administration and never replaced. (https://www.the-scientist.com/.../head-of-global-health...)

* In May 2018, Democrats pleaded with the Trump Administration to reverse their reckless and unwarranted retreat on global health security. Trump ignored their request and plowed ahead with negligent abandon.
(https://connolly.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx...)

* Operation “Crimson Contagion” outlined previously takes place between January and August 2019.

* In November 2019, the military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI), warned the White House that a contagion was sweeping through China’s Wuhan region, changing the patterns of life and business and posing a threat to the population. Apparently the Trump Administration was incurious to learn what was happening and took no proactive action to protect America. (https://thehill.com/.../491712-us-intel ... -warned-in...)

* On December 31st 2019, three weeks before the first U.S Covid 19 case, the Chinese reported the new virus. Within a week, Berlin virologists had produced the first diagnostic test. By the end of February, the World Health Organization had shipped out tests to 60 countries. But not to the Centers for Disease Control, the Trump Administration declined the test even as a temporary bridge until they could create their own test. The question is why? We don’t know, but what to look for is which pharmaceutical company eventually manufactures the test and who owns the stock. (https://www.politico.com/.../coronaviru ... ng-failure...)

* On January 29th and again on February 23rd, White House advisor Peter Navarro delivered warnings to the White House stating that the U.S. could see up to 2 million deaths and trillions of dollars in economic damage if action wasn’t taken. (https://www.foxnews.com/.../white-house-memos-warned-in...)

* On January 31st, the Trump administration did impose travel restrictions between China and the U.S. on “foreign nationals who had been in China in the last 14 days.” and later Europe and the U.S., but both actions have loopholes large enough to fly a 777 through. (https://www.washingtontimes.com/.../tru ... r-actually.../)

* On February 10th, amid the explosive worldwide outbreak of the virus Trump proposed a 16% cut to the budget of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, a 10% cut to Public Health Services, and a 7% cut to Global Health Services. Those happen to be the organizations that respond to public health threats. (https://www.forbes.com/.../trump-proposes-16-cut-to-cdc.../)

* Trump has on multiple occasions sowed doubt about the severity of the virus even using the word hoax at events and rallies. He even did it at an event where the virus was being spread. Trump put out no useful information concerning the health risks of the virus until it was far to late. (

* On February 26th, Trump didn’t see fit to appoint a doctor to oversee the US response to the pandemic so he appointed Mike Pence. (https://www.politico.com/.../trump-puts-pence-in-charge...)

* On March 6th, Trump stated a cruise ship off the coast of California should not disembark, denying American citizens proper hospital care. (https://www.newsweek.com/trump-says-tho ... d-princess...?)

* Trump waited until mid March to start ordering supplies of medical equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE) which were in critically short supply, a full two and a half months after China first reported the virus and over three and a half months after the National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) warned the White House. (https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc)

* On April 24th Trump mused that injecting disinfectant should be studied as a potential cure.(

* As of May 16th, Trump still refuses to use the National Defense Production Act to manage the crisis, preferring to let the States try to out bid each other and the Federal government, driving up prices and creating chaos and delays. (https://www.usatoday.com/.../coronavirus.../5100856002/)

I hope this clears things up. Please copy and share with everyone you know.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 pm I happened upon this on Facebook. I don't think all the links will carry thru entirely:

Paul Coe: I’m a Republican. Trump’s supporters never will admit it, but even they know he blew it. 98,000 and counting dead, 40+ million unemployed, countless trillions vanished from the economy. Our very way of life in shambles... The shocking and preventable severity of its impact on the health, unemployment, and stock market of the United States is absolutely Trumps fault. 100% No Doubt About It.

Before we get into the whole chronology of Trumps failings, it’s important to point out that from January to August 2019 the Dept of Health and Human Services (HHS) conducted a war-game style simulation dubbed "The Crimson Contagion" to test U.S. preparedness, wherein a hypothetical respiratory virus begins in China and rapidly spreads throughout the World. The ensuing report found that the U.S. was dangerously unprepared. Trump ignored the devastating findings, and even claims “nobody could have prevented this” to this day! (https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-trump-admin...)

Link to the actual HHS report>>> https://archive.org/details/crimson-con ... 9/mode/2up

Below is a detailed account of everything else Trump is being blamed for, starting with his transition to power in 2016:

* During the transition of power in the winter of 16-17, the Obama Administration warned Trump on the clear and present danger of pandemic and told him the National Strategic Stockpile was under stocked. Trump was elected with both houses of congress and could have acted. (https://www.propublica.org/.../us-emergency-medical...)

* In January 2018, at Trump’s direction, the CDC paused, reduced, or stopped funding epidemic prevention activities in 39 out of 49 countries including China. (https://www.wsj.com/.../cdc-to-scale-ba ... -in-dozens...)

* In April 2018, Trump fired Homeland Security Advisor Tom Bossart, whose job was to coordinate a response to global pandemics. He was not replaced.
(https://www.foxnews.com/.../homeland-se ... dviser-tom...)

* In May 2018, Trump shut down the entire Global Health Security and Bio-Defense agency. Yes, he did. (https://www.kff.org/.../reuters-examines-changes-to-cdc.../)

* In May 2018, Dr. Luciana Borio, Trump’s biodefense preparedness adviser warned that a flu pandemic was the country’s No. 1 health security threat, and that the U.S. was not prepared.
Borio subsequently left the Trump administration in 2019. Trump didn’t heed Dr. Borio’s warning or replace her. (https://www.usatoday.com/.../coronaviru ... 064881002/)

* In May 2018, Tim Ziemer, the Senior Director for Global Health Security and Bio-Defense at the National Security Counsel was removed by the Trump administration and never replaced. (https://www.the-scientist.com/.../head-of-global-health...)

* In May 2018, Democrats pleaded with the Trump Administration to reverse their reckless and unwarranted retreat on global health security. Trump ignored their request and plowed ahead with negligent abandon.
(https://connolly.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx...)

* Operation “Crimson Contagion” outlined previously takes place between January and August 2019.

* In November 2019, the military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI), warned the White House that a contagion was sweeping through China’s Wuhan region, changing the patterns of life and business and posing a threat to the population. Apparently the Trump Administration was incurious to learn what was happening and took no proactive action to protect America. (https://thehill.com/.../491712-us-intel ... -warned-in...)

* On December 31st 2019, three weeks before the first U.S Covid 19 case, the Chinese reported the new virus. Within a week, Berlin virologists had produced the first diagnostic test. By the end of February, the World Health Organization had shipped out tests to 60 countries. But not to the Centers for Disease Control, the Trump Administration declined the test even as a temporary bridge until they could create their own test. The question is why? We don’t know, but what to look for is which pharmaceutical company eventually manufactures the test and who owns the stock. (https://www.politico.com/.../coronaviru ... ng-failure...)

* On January 29th and again on February 23rd, White House advisor Peter Navarro delivered warnings to the White House stating that the U.S. could see up to 2 million deaths and trillions of dollars in economic damage if action wasn’t taken. (https://www.foxnews.com/.../white-house-memos-warned-in...)

* On January 31st, the Trump administration did impose travel restrictions between China and the U.S. on “foreign nationals who had been in China in the last 14 days.” and later Europe and the U.S., but both actions have loopholes large enough to fly a 777 through. (https://www.washingtontimes.com/.../tru ... r-actually.../)

* On February 10th, amid the explosive worldwide outbreak of the virus Trump proposed a 16% cut to the budget of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, a 10% cut to Public Health Services, and a 7% cut to Global Health Services. Those happen to be the organizations that respond to public health threats. (https://www.forbes.com/.../trump-proposes-16-cut-to-cdc.../)

* Trump has on multiple occasions sowed doubt about the severity of the virus even using the word hoax at events and rallies. He even did it at an event where the virus was being spread. Trump put out no useful information concerning the health risks of the virus until it was far to late. (

* On February 26th, Trump didn’t see fit to appoint a doctor to oversee the US response to the pandemic so he appointed Mike Pence. (https://www.politico.com/.../trump-puts-pence-in-charge...)

* On March 6th, Trump stated a cruise ship off the coast of California should not disembark, denying American citizens proper hospital care. (https://www.newsweek.com/trump-says-tho ... d-princess...?)

* Trump waited until mid March to start ordering supplies of medical equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE) which were in critically short supply, a full two and a half months after China first reported the virus and over three and a half months after the National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) warned the White House. (https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc)

* On April 24th Trump mused that injecting disinfectant should be studied as a potential cure.(

* As of May 16th, Trump still refuses to use the National Defense Production Act to manage the crisis, preferring to let the States try to out bid each other and the Federal government, driving up prices and creating chaos and delays. (https://www.usatoday.com/.../coronavirus.../5100856002/)

I hope this clears things up. Please copy and share with everyone you know.

TL DR !??? wtf doooood

My god.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I thought it was a useful timeline. Something I might want to refer back to, anyway.