Alefroth

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Alefroth »

Can I Bam! on behalf of Smoove?

edit: D'oh!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BAMs are not required but strongly advised.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good to see we have a leader who cares so deeply about the hundreds of thousands of people dying in the US.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 pm Can I Bam! on behalf of Smoove?

edit: D'oh!
Is that a bam-bam? bam-squared? double bam? bam-ception?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It was a meta bam
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eh, did we expect something else...during a pandemic...when Americans are in crisis.

BREAKING: Senate adjourns until after Labor Day despite not reaching a deal on a new coronavirus aid package.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Trump will seize the inaction to blame the democrats and then issue even more executive orders.

Yawn
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
More than one-in-five Texans who are tested for coronavirus are positive, the worst statewide rate in the country. But the number of people getting tests has plummeted in the last two weeks, which could understate how widespread the virus really is as schools reopen and hospitalizations and deaths remain near record highs.

That's left Republican Gov. Greg Abbott in a tough spot, forced to make decisions about reopening his state based on incomplete and possibly faulty data.

Abbott on Thursday said he's instructed his administration to figure out which numbers can be trusted, why positive tests have doubled this month and what the trends could signal as Labor Day approaches and students start filling classrooms.
Reuters
Texas Governor Greg Abbott on Thursday sought to reassure parents he is doing all he can to keep students safe as most schools in the state prepare to reopen next week.
Abbott defended his mandate giving local school boards the right to determine if and when schools reopen, curbing the power of local health officials to intervene and order schools closed if COVID-19 outbreaks occur.

The Texas governor said schools are ready and argued that in-person classes would not be a significant spreader of the virus if schools follow basic safety precautions.

“The ways that COVID-19 will most likely spread in the school setting is in gatherings after school is over,” Abbott told a press conference in Lubbock.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 pm Eh, did we expect something else...during a pandemic...when Americans are in crisis.
Nope. They've realized that helping Americans now doesn't solve their actual problem. They can't fix the pandemic or economy in time. Now it is time to steal an election.
Enough

Post by Enough »

My sister who is a school teacher in rural CO sent me this text today:
I have just spent three hot and sweaty days in a gym doing professional development with several teachers who do not like to wear masks, and therefore don't. They also like to be shoulder to shoulder. And two of them got woozy today, one having to go home. The other had a runny nose. I pray it was just the heat.
:cry:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:10 pm Politico
More than one-in-five Texans who are tested for coronavirus are positive, the worst statewide rate in the country. But the number of people getting tests has plummeted in the last two weeks, which could understate how widespread the virus really is as schools reopen and hospitalizations and deaths remain near record highs.

That's left Republican Gov. Greg Abbott in a tough spot, forced to make decisions about reopening his state based on incomplete and possibly faulty data.

Abbott on Thursday said he's instructed his administration to figure out which numbers can be trusted, why positive tests have doubled this month and what the trends could signal as Labor Day approaches and students start filling classrooms.
Reuters
Texas Governor Greg Abbott on Thursday sought to reassure parents he is doing all he can to keep students safe as most schools in the state prepare to reopen next week.
Abbott defended his mandate giving local school boards the right to determine if and when schools reopen, curbing the power of local health officials to intervene and order schools closed if COVID-19 outbreaks occur.

The Texas governor said schools are ready and argued that in-person classes would not be a significant spreader of the virus if schools follow basic safety precautions.

“The ways that COVID-19 will most likely spread in the school setting is in gatherings after school is over,” Abbott told a press conference in Lubbock.
Everything is bigger in Texas, baby!

Sounds like a good reason to keep my kids home. I hope everyone who feels this way can do that.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
malchior

Post by malchior »

I feel like Hans Zarkov here. "It's an attack!"

Zarathud

Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Zarathud »

Pretty sure that NDA will be found to be illegal. But it’s all playing for time to let the scam and flim-flam work. Is it still a coverup if done in plain sight?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finally!

COVID Risk Comfort Zone
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Problem - parents, teachers and students are all panicking about the resumption of school activities

Solution - claim the CDC is on standby and ready to deploy teams to schools to help.

He has absolutely no idea how any of this works.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:20 am Finally!
I'm like a vampire, except I'm not crossing that threshold even if you invite me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Problem - parents, teachers and students are all panicking about the resumption of school activities

Solution - claim the CDC is on standby and ready to deploy teams to schools to help.

Someone must have watched Contagion and assumed that he has thousands of CDC teams to send out into the world to manage outbreaks.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:53 pm
Smoove_B wrote:Problem - parents, teachers and students are all panicking about the resumption of school activities

Someone must have watched Contagion and assumed that he has thousands of CDC teams to send out into the world to manage outbreaks.
Someone's college buddy must have a shell corporation that can get a federal loan and contract for thousands of CDC teams that don't exist.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That too.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:43 pm Problem - parents, teachers and students are all panicking about the resumption of school activities

Ready to help... what, exactly? Pound the erasers? Set up quarantine tents in the gym?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:39 am
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:43 pm Problem - parents, teachers and students are all panicking about the resumption of school activities

Ready to help... what, exactly? Pound the erasers? Set up quarantine tents in the gym?
Why are you asking such silly questions? These are very good people. Many are saying it. Some say the best people.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When does quarantine not really mean quarantine? When you're a teacher in Florida and declared an essential worker by the school state.
“We have received inquiries about the status of the six teachers at South Fork and their status as essential workers. The teachers will continue to report to campus to livestream lessons as long as they are not experiencing any symptoms of illness. They will follow all CDC guidelines related to essential workers: temperature checks upon arrival, wearing a mask at all times and maintaining social distance from others at all times. They will livestream lessons alone in their classrooms to the students who have transitioned to remote learning, as well as the students on their other class rosters who were not part of the quarantine protocol and will still be attending school in person.
Also, this is not how quarantine works (in case anyone wasn't clear).

EDIT: Fret, forgive me
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:11 am When does quarantine not really mean quarantine? When you're a teacher in Florida and declared an essential worker by the school.
“We have received inquiries about the status of the six teachers at South Fork and their status as essential workers. The teachers will continue to report to campus to livestream lessons as long as they are not experiencing any symptoms of illness. They will follow all CDC guidelines related to essential workers: temperature checks upon arrival, wearing a mask at all times and maintaining social distance from others at all times. They will livestream lessons alone in their classrooms to the students who have transitioned to remote learning, as well as the students on their other class rosters who were not part of the quarantine protocol and will still be attending school in person.
Also, this is now how quarantine works (in case anyone wasn't clear).
dafuq?

I thought my delayed since March dentist visit was in October. It's September 9th. I'm sure I'm going to have some serious anxiety coming up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Does this help? Long live college newspapers.

The Daily Tar Heel isn’t holding back this morning.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:25 am Image
Me

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm telling you, future generations are going to wonder why we didn't guillotine our way out of this.

While most of the U.S. waits 7 to 14 days for coronavirus test results, at some parties hosted by the wealthy in the Hamptons, expensive rapid tests that take less than 30 minutes are the price of admission
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 pm I'm telling you, future generations are going to wonder why we didn't guillotine our way out of this.
Tell me about it. I'm in the middle of reading a book that'll hopefully give me a theoretical framework on this because I'm fascinated. You can't help but wonder how the plutocrats have brainwashed an entire culture to not notice that they are imprisoning, impoverishing, and killing people so they can party.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:34 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 pm I'm telling you, future generations are going to wonder why we didn't guillotine our way out of this.
Tell me about it. I'm in the middle of reading a book that'll hopefully give me a theoretical framework on this because I'm fascinated. You can't help but wonder how the plutocrats have brainwashed an entire culture to not notice that they are imprisoning, impoverishing, and killing people so they can party.
Same way they've done it throughout history. Guillotines and revolutions extremely rare in the long, unbroken timeline of the ruling class.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't mind people willing to spend more money getting faster testing or better healthcare.

I do mind that our testing is incompetently long, to where it becomes a lot less useful, but that I blame on the administration, not on these particular rich people.

What I do blame these people for is for assuming that fallible rapid testing are perfect and for ignoring social distancing and other steps necessary for safety.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:16 pm I don't mind people willing to spend more money getting faster testing or better healthcare.

I do mind that our testing is incompetently long, to where it becomes a lot less useful, but that I blame on the administration, not on these particular rich people.
I agree to an extent at the micro level. However, the reason the administration exists and acts the way they do is because of the super wealthy. And I also mind when the general case is that they get better healthcare at the expense of people having *any healthcare* which again is their policy preference. It's connected.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So today,

1. The Wonder Twins were invited to an impromptu "end of summer" pool party at a neighbor's house.
2. Both the twins and Little B 11.4 were invited separately to friend's birthday parties...at an indoor trampoline facility.

There's no way in hell I'm letting them do either of those things right now, but it still absolutely sucks being the bad guy to tell them "no". :evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Funny you post that when firefox puts up this

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/08 ... lley-elite

It's just hastening the .01% leaving the US to become citizens of the world
For those who don’t want to be in America (and let’s be frank, who really wants to be in America right now?), there’s an easy solution. A report last week found that the superrich are paying as much as $2.6 million for international citizenships, then zipping out to said country on their private jets. Not everyone owns their own jet, or “P.J.,” as they’re called. As a result, jet rentals are skyrocketing. A spokeswoman for NetJets, a private-jet rental company, told me that inquiries for flights shot up from the previous year, and have only continued to grow as the pandemic has stretched on. In April, for example, calls to NetJets was up 60% for the year prior, as of June, it was 195%, the spokeswoman said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:39 pm So today,

1. The Wonder Twins were invited to an impromptu "end of summer" pool party at a neighbor's house.
2. Both the twins and Little B 11.4 were invited separately to friend's birthday parties...at an indoor trampoline facility.

There's no way in hell I'm letting them do either of those things right now, but it still absolutely sucks being the bad guy to tell them "no". :evil:
The kiddo got invited to an overnight with her friend. At a hotel deep in the suburbs. For a beauty pageant the next day with a few hundred in attendance. I really like the family that invited her but no way.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:43 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:39 pm So today,

The kiddo got invited to an overnight with her friend. At a hotel deep in the suburbs. For a beauty pageant the next day with a few hundred in attendance. I really like the family that invited her but no way.
We are just starting to get back to outdoor playdates, with some distance.

I feel like overnight, in a hotel, for a beauty pageant with a few hundred in attendance is 'get the fainting couch' levels of aghastitude.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My employer university is asking that we all get tested in the first week of the semester at an on-campus site, and they promise results in 48-72 hours.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If your employer is watching what just happened at UNC and they're not changing plans...trouble.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

My employer had plans for folks returning to the office ( talking about USA here) but then, well you know what happened.
So now, the plan is, stay home until next year, we will check back in 2021 and see how its going.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I haven't seen it shared here, but it's gaining traction in my circles - likely because we're coming up on "go time" in the NE. Namely, how hybrid schooling could be a disaster:
Call it hopscotch or hybrid or blended learning, but some infectious disease experts call it a potential public health disaster. Alternating schedules could cause children to ebb and flow within an expanded network, transitioning from home to school to child-care centers and thus having a greater risk of exposure or transmission.

“You can see how these got off the ground because it sounds initially like a good idea, but like all things with this virus, you have to think really critically about it,” said Dr. William Hanage, an epidemiologist at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “When you start to do that, you realize that hybrid schooling actually produces more networks by which the virus can spread.”

At face value, hybrid plans provide students with some much-desired in-person instruction while lessening the burden on parents who are either working from home themselves or are essential employees who cannot work remotely. Meanwhile, hybrid plans limit class size and, seemingly, the risk to teachers of exposure.

But epidemiologists note that parents who cannot do their jobs remotely and those too busy to oversee at-home learning will still rely on external child-care solutions two to three days a week, further widening the child’s circle of exposure. With fully remote or all in-person learning, children are spending the majority of their time in one or two places with a consistent group. With a hybrid plan, that number balloons to three or more.
I apologize for adding anxiety to what is already likely insane-anxiety Monday. But we're watching and I'm hoping somebody is listening to what experts are saying.

In closing:
Infectious disease experts agree: returning to school as virus cases continue to surge around the country makes it an especially thorny conundrum.

“There is no perfect solution, there are just some solutions that are less bad than others,” Hanage said.

And to him, the hybrid model is among the worst in the bunch.