Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Smoove_B »

NJ Governor, making sure everyone knows what the deal is.

It is also beyond the pale that Rep Matt Putz – I mean @RepMattGaetz – would participate in this. What a fool.

Matt – You are not welcome in New Jersey, and frankly I don’t ever want you back in this state.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a governor say don't let the door hit your ass. The tone is right though. These people are despicable.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow, that's kinda a thing, no? State Gov calling him a putz? I like it.. Is this normal there?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Woah, woah, woah. Let's not jump the gun. I have it on Good authority that this was a totally safe event.

Credentials:
Ashley StClair 🇺🇸
@stclairashley
Producer. Patriot. Occasionally funny. Press & business
Also, this craziness:

We so deserve what we're getting.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Idiots. You can pray at home morons. Churches dont amplify your prayers with their steeple. God gave you a brain use it or lose it fool.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

What amazes me is that people like her don't any wakeup call from all the stories about people just like themselves. "Sucks to be that person, but surely that ironic twist of fate would never happen to ME."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I dunno. This has a bit of a "she has it coming" vibe which I'm not totally in love with. I get that this is in large part a result of the choices that she and her husband made but....it's still the case that she's worried about her husband maybe dying.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For me, it's a bit of an internal struggle. But only a bit. I have sympathy for her husband. But I don't have sympathy for her. Her initial tweet was aggressive. Very aggressive. When I read "Don't care", I interpret that as her to basically telling me to go @#$% myself. Prayers for her husband? Sure. Though I'm not spiritual and am not going to pray. But I can do sympathy. But for her? No. No sympathy. She got what she wanted.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm Yeah, I dunno. This has a bit of a "she has it coming" vibe which I'm not totally in love with. I get that this is in large part a result of the choices that she and her husband made but....it's still the case that she's worried about her husband maybe dying.
Yeah, whenever you proclaim "I'm willing to die to go to church" it shouldn't be assumed that you are also willing to kill to go to church. Though it is implied. Hopefully her husband is OK and she recovers.

Up next, is this the end for The Eucharist?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm Yeah, I dunno. This has a bit of a "she has it coming" vibe which I'm not totally in love with.
She absolutely had it coming - her attitude is basically "bring it on", and the universe obliged. I can no longer sympathize with idiots that not only willingly endanger themselves and others, but do it with gusto in the name of "religious freedom" or "rights" or whatever.

If her husband didn't actually go to church with her, he may want to reconsider some of his other life choices...like being married to a selfish dimwit.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I hope she and her husband recover swiftly and with no complications - we need every hospital bed we can get right now.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm Yeah, I dunno. This has a bit of a "she has it coming" vibe which I'm not totally in love with. I get that this is in large part a result of the choices that she and her husband made but....it's still the case that she's worried about her husband maybe dying.
Yeah, whenever you proclaim "I'm willing to die to go to church" it shouldn't be assumed that you are also willing to kill to go to church. Though it is implied. Hopefully her husband is OK and she recovers.

But in this case, that's absolutely the potential outcome. If you're not willing to kill, don't pick up a gun. And definitely dont wave it around in public. If I kill someone while driving recklessly, I'm responsible. I don't see how this is different.
In fairness, I've heard my whole life don't go to school if you're infectious. Mom was a nurse with little tolerance for foolishness.

I struggle sympathizing with a mentality that has exacerbated a quarter of a million people killed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a new account up purporting to be here since that one has been deleted, but I can not verify provenance, of course. Poe's Law and all that. But not Cole's Law.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

On the other hand, she was literally taunting other people for being worried about themselves or their loved ones maybe dying, and conducted herself in such a manner as to endanger them. Fuck her feelings.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:58 pmOn the other hand, she was literally taunting other people for being worried about themselves or their loved ones maybe dying, and conducted herself in such a manner as to endanger them. Fuck her feelings.
I don't feel bad for experiencing a complete lack of empathy for her - she has her religion to comfort her in these dark times.

Meanwhile, the CDC just published a series of modified recommendations for the short term:
COVID-19 pandemic control requires a multipronged application of evidence-based strategies while improving health equity: universal face mask use, physical distancing, avoiding nonessential indoor spaces, increasing testing, prompt quarantine of exposed persons, safeguarding those at increased risk for severe illness or death, protecting essential workers, postponing travel, enhancing ventilation and hand hygiene, and achieving widespread COVID-19 vaccination coverage.
Select details:
Universal use of face masks. Consistent and correct use of face masks is a public health strategy critical to reducing respiratory transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in light of estimates that approximately one half of new infections are transmitted by persons who have no symptoms (2,3). Compelling evidence now supports the benefits of cloth face masks for both source control (to protect others) and, to a lesser extent, protection of the wearer.†

Physical distancing and limiting contacts. Maintaining physical distance (≥6 feet) lowers the risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection through exposure to infectious respiratory droplets and aerosols and is important, even if no symptoms are apparent, because transmission can occur from asymptomatic infected persons¶ (2,3). Outside the household setting, close physical contact, shared meals, and being in enclosed spaces have all been associated with an increased infection risk (4–7). Although the impact of physical distancing is difficult to disaggregate from other interventions, one study estimated that physical distancing decreased the average number of daily contacts by as much as 74% and reduced the reproductive number (R0, a measure of transmission, which describes the average number of persons infected by one infectious person) to <1 (8).

Avoiding nonessential indoor spaces and crowded outdoor settings. Exposures at nonessential indoor settings and crowded outdoor settings pose a preventable risk to all participants.**,†† Indoor venues, where distancing is not maintained and consistent use of face masks is not possible (e.g., restaurant dining), have been identified as particularly high-risk scenarios (7,10).
Arguably the most important takeaway:
No single strategy can control the pandemic; rather, a multipronged approach using all available evidence-based strategies at the individual and community levels can break transmission chains and address high levels of community transmission; reduce related illnesses, long-term sequelae, and deaths; and mitigate the pandemic’s economic impact.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Pretty sure human sacrifice is more effective than prayer. I was raised Old Testament. :wink:

But then, my favorite restaurant/bar just announced that they're selling growlers. I'm willing to die for draft beer.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I trust that god will do what they will for the Willows.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just think of this comparison.....more people died today of Covid than died in the 9/11 terror attack. And this happens day after day after day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hilarious (and likely true)

So excited that we’re going to have a cure for this in like, twenty seconds.
Well, this is a bit awkward. COVID-19 may cause long-term erectile dysfunction in men. Yet another reason to heed public health advice as the coronavirus continues to spread.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doctor who refused to wear mask has medical license suspended
The Oregon Medical Board suspended the license of an Oregon doctor who said he refuses to wear a mask in his clinic while also encouraging others to not wear masks.

Dr. Steven LaTulippe told a pro-Trump rally in November that neither he nor his staff wears a mask while working in their Dallas, Ore. clinic. That violates a state order requiring health care workers to wear a face-covering in health care settings.

Members of the medical board voted Thursday evening to suspend LaTulippe’s license immediately. According to a statement on the Oregon Medical Board website, the suspension was issued “due to the board’s concern for the safety and welfare of licensee’s current and future patients.”

The indefinite suspension prevents LaTulippe from practicing medicine anywhere in the state. LaTuilippe ran a family practice clinic called South View Medical Arts in Dallas, Ore.

His anti-mask comments came during a “Stop the Steal” election rally in Salem on Nov. 7. The video was posted on YouTube by the Multnomah County Republican Party.

“I and my staff, none of us, not once, wore a mask in my clinic,” LaTulippe said at the rally. He also encouraged others to not wear a mask, saying people should “take off the mask of shame.”
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lining up in the UK for vaccine suppository:

:grund:

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:09 pm I don't feel bad for experiencing a complete lack of empathy for her
If true, this. She's willing to die and spread the death for her religion. I don't know how to feel sorry for someone who holds that opinion on 11/26.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Researchers Trace the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 From Nose to Brain
A study has found that the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the cause of the COVID-19 pandemic, may be able to access the brain by spreading through the border between our nasal system and neural tissue. The findings offer answers to the baffling array of neurological symptoms produced by COVID-19 and the rare but previously unexplained detection of SARS-CoV-2 genetic materials in regions of the brain.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish they'd charge these people with murder.

7 nursing home Covid-19 deaths reported after staff attended wedding
The dead were at 3 facilities, Washington state health officials said. Four other fatalities are being reviewed for possible links to the 300-person party
Seven Washington state nursing home residents with Covid-19 died after staff members attended a 300-person wedding that violated the governor's coronavirus restrictions.

The deaths were at three nursing home facilities in Grant County, health officials said Thursday. They were men in their 70s, 80s, and 90s who had underlying health conditions, according to a press release by the Grant County Health District.

Four additional deaths are pending death certificate reviews.
The health department said it is looking into whether the deaths are linked to a Nov. 7 wedding in Ritzville, about 59 miles southwest of Spokane, but an investigation found that some staff members at the facilities had tested positive after attending the event.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hospitalizations hit all time high but there is evidence that people are being turned away from hospitals already.

Emphasis added below.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, public-health experts have warned of one particular nightmare. It is possible, they said, for the number of coronavirus patients to exceed the capacity of hospitals in a state or city to take care of them. Faced with a surge of severely ill people, doctors and nurses will have to put beds in hallways, spend less time with patients, and become more strict about whom they admit into the hospital at all. The quality of care will fall; Americans who need hospital beds for any other reason—a heart attack, a broken leg—will struggle to find space. Many people will unnecessarily suffer and die.

“If, in fact, there’s a scenario that’s very severe, it is conceivable that will happen,” Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease doctor, said in mid-March. “We’re doing everything we can to not allow that worst-case scenario to happen.”

Fear of this scenario drove many of the most stringent stay-at-home orders in the spring. “There will be no normally functioning economy if our hospitals are overwhelmed,” Liz Cheney, a leading House Republican, said a week and a half later.

Yet that worst-case scenario never came to pass at a national level. At the springtime peak, even as northeastern hospitals faced a deluge, 60,000 people were hospitalized nationwide. When the Sun Belt frothed with cases this summer, hospitalizations again reached the 60,000 mark before they started to fall.

A month ago, in early November, hospitalizations passed 60,000—and kept climbing, quickly. On Wednesday, the country tore past a nauseating virus record. For the first time since the pandemic began, more than 100,000 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 in the United States, nearly double the record highs seen during the spring and summer surges.

The pandemic nightmare scenario—the buckling of hospital and health-care systems nationwide—has arrived. Several lines of evidence are now sending us the same message: Hospitals are becoming overwhelmed, causing them to restrict whom they admit and leading more Americans to die needlessly.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Chicago compliance.

CHICAGO (CBS) — Tensions ran high Saturday night after large crowds descended on the Loop, and a large police presence worked to clear the streets.

CBS 2’s Jeremy Ross reports police officers began working around 7 p.m. to clear large crowds of teens and young adults from parts of downtown. Police were doing what they could to deescalate tensions.

“Just craziness, and then you had a lot of officers around here,” Starlesha Hooker said.

Parts of the Loop were blocked off by squad cars, the blaring sounds of sirens and blur of Chicago Police lights once again flooding shopping areas, as Hooker was trying to visit Macy’s and see the Christmas Tree at nearby Millennium Park at the time.

“There was a fight that broke out, and there was maybe about 400 kids that kind of ran towards the fight, and we just kind of got out the way so we wouldn’t be stumbled over,” she said. “Personally, it’s a little startling.”
As for what was driving this winter assembly, Hooker said, “I’m guessing they don’t have anything better to do but to be in crowds and kind of yell about each other, yell amongst each other.”

It also happens amid a resurgence of the pandemic in Chicago, with officials repeatedly urging people to stay home as much as possible, and avoid large gatherings.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Starlesha...hehehe now thats a name Ive not seen in a long time. Wait Ive never seen it. Did know a actress named Starla in school.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ed Yong melds COVID-19, LotR, and internet memes: a thread.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Rudy has COVID.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:violin: I can't feel bad for these people that have turned our country into a living nightmare.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wish I could take the high road, but nope.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont believe it. Not at all. Trump could say he was an idiot and a liar and THAT Id believe. Anything else never. He is a 100% liar and a bullshitter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I had thought that Guiliani had contracted it months ago, but I guess not. Not sure how it took so long given his activities and (lack) of precautions.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IIRC, it was a false positive.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If they're wise, they'll take this opportunity to dial back the conspiracy theories and ridiculous stunt lawsuits.

"If," I said...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:21 pm If they're wise, they'll take this opportunity to dial back the conspiracy theories and ridiculous stunt lawsuits.
It could very well be trump's cover to end his coup attempt...or at least a cover story for its failure. I'm with Daehawk on this one -- I won't believe it until somebody trustworthy confirms it. Until then, I expect Rudy to go dark until the EC meets, and then stage a miraculous recovery.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw this quote tonight..
How can you ask the military to come in to help doctors and nurses but you can’t ask me to put on a mask?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

6ABC
Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani was admitted to the hospital after he was diagnosed with COVID-19, sources told ABC News.

The 76-year-old personal lawyer to the president was admitted to Georgetown Hospital in Washington on Sunday. It is unclear when exactly Giuliani tested positive or the details of his condition.

Late Sunday, Giuliani posted on Twitter saying he was "feeling good."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AZ Central
The Arizona Legislature will close for a week "out of an abundance of caution" after Rudy Giuliani, Donald Trump's personal attorney, possibly exposed several Republican lawmakers to COVID-19.

The president announced Giuliani had tested positive for the virus Sunday, less than a week after the former New York City mayor visited Arizona as part of a multistate tour aimed at contesting 2020 election results. He was later admitted to Georgetown University Medical Center.

Giuliani spent more than 10 hours discussing election concerns with Arizona Republicans — including two members of Congress and at least 10 current and future state lawmakers — at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix last Monday. The 76-year-old led the meeting maskless, flouting social distancing guidelines and posing for photos.

He also met privately with Republican lawmakers and legislative leadership the next day, according to lawmakers' social media posts.