Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Corona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by gbasden »

Defiant wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 am
Mobile phone mast fires are being investigated amid conspiracy theories claiming a link between 5G and coronavirus.

There have been fires at masts in Birmingham, Liverpool and Melling in Merseyside.

A video, allegedly of the blaze in Aigburth, was shared on YouTube and Facebook, claiming a link between the mobile technology and Covid-19.
"I'm absolutely outraged and disgusted that people would be taking action against the infrastructure we need to tackle this emergency," he said.

Mobile UK said key workers had suffered abuse and threats from people about damaging infrastructure under the pretence of claims about 5G.
Mast fire probe amid 5G coronavirus claims

(I guess mobile phone masts is British for cellphone towers)
Jesus fucking Christ people are stupid.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:08 am Jesus fucking Christ people are stupid.
After spending 15 minutes wading through people talking about how landlords are evil, housing is a human right, and the surprising amount of people who think that property rights are taking something away from them. Good lord. We have no defense against these virii because we have gone collectively nuts.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I hate that I feel this way, but there are times where I feel we're getting what we deserve as a greedy, selfish species.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hey Bill, you first. Find out if the dead weep for us.

I see we've reached the MAGA version of suicide-bomber-justification logic.
Evil sociopath Bill Mitchell wrote:While death is sad for the living left behind, it is merely a passage out of this physical body to a spiritual existence, free of this mortal coil. If one turns off the radio, the music is still there. For all we know, the dead weep for us.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It should not need to be said, but tests for new and novel illnesses cannot be developed *before* that illness is created.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I wonder... if Obama had have cut funding to the CDC and disbanded the Pandemic Response Team before leaving office, would Trump have increased funding and put the team back together in his effort to undo Obama's presidency? :think:
malchior

Post by malchior »

FEMA strikes again. Steals 500 vents from Colorado.

Are we really "United" States anymore with this shit is going on? Don't rely on us for 'our' stockpile. Get your own supplies. Which is it?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tl;Dr - GM was way ahead of the WH on vent production, and the WH shat all over them while simultaneously making it harder for GM to help.

malchior

Post by malchior »

TPM also is covering the FEMA stick ups.This one is in my backyard. The Feds are seizing shipments to places where the outbreak is the worst to re-direct them...to god knows where. Maybe this is for a good reason but the silence makes it sure as shit look like malignant behavior.
But what I’m more interested in are reports of federal authorities confiscating physical shipments en route to states, local governments or regional hospital systems. The most publicized case of this came at some point in March when, according to Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R), a shipment of 3 million masks ordered through BJ’s Wholesale was seized by federal authorities in the Port of New York. Baker did not say which agency confiscated the goods or under what authority. That incident was what led to the widely reported and successful effort to fly goods in from China using the New England Patriots jet.

Another case happened just yesterday when the top county official in Somerset County, New Jersey, Freeholder Director Shanel Robinson, announced that a shipment of 35,000 masks had been confiscated by federal officials. According to this report in the Franklin Reporter and Advocate, “As of early in the afternoon of April 3, Robinson said that the county was told the surgical face masks would be delivered that day, but that the federal government had taken the N-95 masks.”

It’s not entirely clear from the report. But this does not sound like the federal government outbid the county or forced it to sell but rather that the physical shipment was interdicted and seized by federal authorities. Robinson said that the vendor didn’t say which agency confiscated the shipment.

“This doesn’t even make sense,” said Robinson, according to the same report. “Part of the thing is, I know the government is monitoring large orders of equipment, but they had no idea where that was going. They’re on a watch for anybody ordering en masse. It’s not like we put in orders every week. We’ve been waiting on that order for two-and-a-half, three weeks.”

According to Robinson, the Governor and the state’s congressional delegation are pressing to get the order returned to Somerset County.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am FEMA strikes again. Steals 500 vents from Colorado.

Are we really "United" States anymore with this shit is going on? Don't rely on us for 'our' stockpile. Get your own supplies. Which is it?
How is this possible?
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is a possible use of the Defense Production Act. Maybe there is a good reason or this is just bad management at play. They could be seizing shipments at the shipper and not communicating it because they are a shit show. Or it is malignant. We have no idea. And this administration doesn't deserve our trust so it is concerning to say the least.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Trump tells states to try and get their own gear.
Trump takes gear.

If I were a Governor, I'd be on TV right now talking about this non-stop.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've said it before - I don't know any other way to interpret other than actively hostile. It's one thing to withhold access to the stockpile. It's another to tell states to figure out resource acquisition on their own. To then follow that up with active seizure of needed materials? That's straight up tin-pot dictator style bullshit. The question (for me) is why? Is Trump trying to punish Blue states? Is he seizing (and hoarding the stockpile) so he can swoop into the Red states in a few weeks and shower them with all the stuff NY/NJ could be using right now? It sounds like conspiracy nonsense but personally/professionally I cannot make any sense of what's happening.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Honestly I sadly want this to just be shitty administration. That'd be something. Horrifying. Infuriating but par for the course with these clowns. However, if this is hostile for political reasons or Trump and clan stuffing their pockets then we need to figure this out *now*.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If they didn’t vote for him, I’m certain Trump is happy to let them die. I wish I was joking or exaggerating but I honestly believe it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's pretty clear that all the false starts and abrupt pivots are due to Trump and team looking to exploit the situation for their own gain. Either settling scores against blue states or personally disliked companies (like GM). Or using FEMA and the DPA to try to get credit for being heroes of the supply chain. There's probably a profit/clout motive in there as well. It's b-movie government villain stuff in real life.

It's a combination of malevolence (or amoral greed at best) and incompetence.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 pm If they didn’t vote for him, I’m certain Trump is happy to let them die. I wish I was joking or exaggerating but I honestly believe it.
You aren’t wrong.
Furthermore, I bet Trump has said as much to someone in the last couple weeks.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 pm If they didn’t vote for him, I’m certain Trump is happy to let them die. I wish I was joking or exaggerating but I honestly believe it.
A step further, he will actively work to ensure it happens by withholding supplies from those who he feels have not sufficiently kissed the ring.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 pm
A step further, he will actively work to ensure it happens by withholding supplies from those who he feels have not sufficiently kissed the ring.
The only reason I question this line of thinking is because to pull it off suggests a level of competence his administration has yet to demonstrate. I can believe he thinks it should happen, I'm not sure he could consciously implement it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:37 am Tl;Dr - GM was way ahead of the WH on vent production, and the WH shat all over them while simultaneously making it harder for GM to help.

This and while attacking "that woman" "in over her head" in a situation where we are hit hardest and the people retooling are putting themselves at higher risk.

Trump is a piece of shit. His cronies are pieces of shit. Those who enable his piece of shit presidency are pieces of shit. I have a real hard time forgiving those who empower the GOP. I've tried to avoid political contact, and when I can't I go straight to irrational confrontation. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Even as I try to make sure family is OK and offer myself when necessary, I've had to cut conversation in no polite manner.

This all goes back to Eric Trump's stripes.
“I’ve never seen hatred like this. To me, they’re not even people. It’s so, so sad. Morality’s just gone, morals have flown out the window and we deserve so much better than this as a country.

“You see the Democratic Party, they’re imploding. They’re imploding. They became obstructionists because they have no message of their own.”
To me, they’re not even people.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Boris Johnson has been hospitalized.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/briti ... 2020-04-05
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote:Trump is a piece of shit. His cronies are pieces of shit. Those who enable his piece of shit presidency are pieces of shit.
Before the 2016 election, I sent you a private explanation for why I was so against Trump, and why it was important for you to be so against Trump too.

In the end, being the President isn’t about ideology. It’s about who you are as a human being. Ultimately every President is tested by some unexpected crisis. To get through it, you need character. Hillary Clinton has almost no character to speak of, but she was still light years more equipped for this moment than this piece of shit.

Now you know why I vote for the person not the platform.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 pm
LordMortis wrote:Trump is a piece of shit. His cronies are pieces of shit. Those who enable his piece of shit presidency are pieces of shit.
Before the 2016 election, I sent you a private explanation for why I was so against Trump, and why it was important for you to be so against Trump too.

In the end, being the President isn’t about ideology. It’s about who you are as a human being. Ultimately every President is tested by some unexpected crisis. To get through it, you need character. Hillary Clinton has almost no character to speak of, but she was still light years more equipped for this moment than this piece of shit.

Now you know why I vote for the person not the platform.
I remember that message well.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Let's guess what the composition of this consortium will look like and imagine how it will fare against an entity that isn't shy about stealing supplies literally en route to highly infected areas. I applaud the effort but it is complete insanity that they have to even try this.

Newsom is building a consortium of states to buy PPE in bulk, rather than compete against each other and drive up the prices.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not just for NBA Players anymore...tigers are apparently on the list for prioritized COVID-19 testing

A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the coronavirus, in what's believed to be a case of "human-to-cat transmission."

The USDA said only one tiger was tested, but several other lions and tigers at the zoo show symptoms of respiratory illness.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maggie Haberman is the Susan Collins of journalism.

This was a really jarring moment, especially since everyone else in the administration has gone to lengths to insist the president is listening to the medical professionals and to demonstrate that no one is trying to tamp down Fauci.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Some new restrictions in Boston, as of this afternoon:

- Masks are now mandatory for going outside.
- A 'recommended' curfew from 9 pm - 6 am
- officers are evidently going around the city with the authority to sanction / ticket groups of people for, well, being in groups.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am
- officers are evidently going around the city with the authority to sanction / ticket groups of people for, well, being in groups.
The last thing those cops want to do is initiate contact with anyone. I'm sure they'll mostly just tell them to disperse and go home. How do you ticket someone from 6ft.?

Went to the grocery today. Canned tomatoes are apparently the hot new item. Also, saw a lady with a mask that she would keep off until someone came close and then she would pull it on. Then take it off again. What is the point?

Almost as many workers as shoppers with the pickup and delivery service going plus a lot of restocking.

Noticed a lot of public drinking while sitting on the porch.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As someone who's blind without glasses, masks are next to impossible to wear. My glasses fog up within three breaths. Either the mask only goes on in proximity alerts, or I blunder around blind. Or I get a different mask. Wife ordered some cloth ones that should be here any...day...now.

We are close to peaking in Boston, so I'm canceling next week's grocery run. I can survive on what's already laid away.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:36 am As someone who's blind without glasses, masks are next to impossible to wear. My glasses fog up within three breaths. Either the mask only goes on in proximity alerts, or I blunder around blind. Or I get a different mask. Wife ordered some cloth ones that should be here any...day...now.

We are close to peaking in Boston, so I'm canceling next week's grocery run. I can survive on what's already laid away.
I'm kind of in the same boat regarding glasses. I find that long slow breaths work better, giving my glasses more time to de-fog in between breaths. Speaking of masks, my wife wanted me to order some masks for the family but I have no idea which ones on Amazon come from reputable sellers. Any recommendations? Which ones did you order?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:36 am As someone who's blind without glasses, masks are next to impossible to wear. My glasses fog up within three breaths. Either the mask only goes on in proximity alerts, or I blunder around blind. Or I get a different mask. Wife ordered some cloth ones that should be here any...day...now.
Bandanna has worked for me here. I tuck it a little under the bottom of the frame and don't have an issue. Think it is helped that the temperature has come up too.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We will meet again... some sunny day...

Maybe it takes a monarch figurehead to show a president how to be presidential:

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:21 am We will meet again... some sunny day...
TIL Vera Lynn is still alive at 103

malchior

Post by malchior »

Heard from a source overnight that every public defender in Louisiana has been furloughed, and has been instructed to file for unemployment. More details forthcoming.

Now have confirmation on this from a second source. At least one public defender has told me they plan to keep working without pay, because "to do otherwise would be the functional equivalent of martial law.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 am
Heard from a source overnight that every public defender in Louisiana has been furloughed, and has been instructed to file for unemployment. More details forthcoming.

Now have confirmation on this from a second source. At least one public defender has told me they plan to keep working without pay, because "to do otherwise would be the functional equivalent of martial law.
As people are stuck at home together and domestic violence goes up....
Chicago police and domestic violence advocates say they were caught off guard this week when Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx announced she was removing prosecutors from the domestic violence courthouse for 14 days after an employee tested positive for the coronavirus.

Except in the most violent cases, prosecutors have stopped accepting criminal complaints in person from people seeking the arrest of their alleged abusers. The office said it is setting up a way to handle the complaints by phone. Also, people are being told they can petition in civil court for emergency orders of protection, then return in two weeks for a personal review by prosecutors.

The cutbacks come as hotline calls are ticking up amid the stay-at-home order and the stresses caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Against this backdrop:
Global Lockdowns Resulting In 'Horrifying Surge' In Domestic Violence, U.N. Warns

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres, citing a sharp rise in domestic violence amid global coronavirus lockdowns, called on governments around the world to make addressing the issue a key part of their response to the pandemic.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:21 am We will meet again... some sunny day...

Cool. I always wondered what had become of her.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile - the Washington Post story might be worse than thought. It has been indicated that US Medical Intelligence might have gotten wind of the outbreak in China in *November*. This timeline is possible so it could make lack the US response even more damning. We potentially had over the horizon warning and it got swallowed up by this idiotic administration. November 17th was the first reported case in China. Maybe US intelligence figures this out by end of November. That mean they had *another month* potentially.

Stephanopoulos: “Did the Pentagon receive an intelligence assessment on COVID in China last November from the National Center for Medical Intelligence?”

Esper: “I can’t recall.”

I can’t recall?🤔 How Rumsfeldian.

Trump knew earlier than January and did nothing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

raydude wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:02 am

I'm kind of in the same boat regarding glasses. I find that long slow breaths work better, giving my glasses more time to de-fog in between breaths. Speaking of masks, my wife wanted me to order some masks for the family but I have no idea which ones on Amazon come from reputable sellers. Any recommendations? Which ones did you order?
The paper masks we have now have been around for years; they look like your basic Home Depot dust masks. IDK what Wife ordered, as we still haven't gotten them. She described them as cloth masks with a removable filter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 am
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 am

if only you had kept up with the 'people still alive who you thought were dead' thread