Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:07 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 pm Except that he can’t step in if he wants, because he’s not an emperor. The individual Governor’s have the authority to open or close at the State-level. The Feds cannot override that because they don’t like it.
But Trump can say it to pump his ego. He can, and does, say whatever he wants and gets away with it.
This.

There's very little chance that he will actually attempt to step in and do anything, but it makes Little Donny feel powerful and important to say he could if he wanted to. Hence the threat.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:53 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:07 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 pm Except that he can’t step in if he wants, because he’s not an emperor. The individual Governor’s have the authority to open or close at the State-level. The Feds cannot override that because they don’t like it.
But Trump can say it to pump his ego. He can, and does, say whatever he wants and gets away with it.
This.

There's very little chance that he will actually attempt to step in and do anything, but it makes Little Donny feel powerful and important to say he could if he wanted to. Hence the threat.
While he may not be able open or close them, he can, and has shown that he is willing to, exert all sorts of pressure to force them act the way he prefers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:33 pm Can't wait to see what would-be-King Trump has to say about this:
"Tl;dr"?
tl;dr: The World Health Organization formally reports that Trump is a liar and generally full of shit, with citations included, and that the rest of the world should ignore what he has to say.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:33 pm Can't wait to see what would-be-King Trump has to say about this:
"Tl;dr"?
tl;dr: The World Health Organization formally reports that Trump is a liar and generally full of shit, with citations included, and that the rest of the world should ignore what he has to say.
I'm sure that Trump will now back down, and the world will see him for what he is.

And stuff.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not directly but he is using his media megaphone to spread a message that Democratic governors are doing a bad job and he has minions stirring up crowds in states to put pressure on them. Meanwhile his whole family is also out there stoking hate and fear as well. This is all part of a campaign to crack open the economy. It is likely fated to fail, get people killed, and worsen the crisis but that won't stop him. He will just continue to place the blame anywhere but himself.

Edit: In law and order news, the police have been camping out in front of the gym in South Jersey. They issued the owners a summons for violating the EO and arrested a gym patron. I didn't see why but I'd assume an open warrant. That said members are still showing up. The dumbest protest since his raison d'etre is to stay in business but he is getting $2000/day fine summonses.
Last edited by malchior on Tue May 19, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:13 pm
Not directly but he is using his media megaphone to spread a message that Democratic governors are doing a bad job and he has minions stirring up crowds in states to put pressure on them. Meanwhile his whole family is also out there stoking hate and fear as well. This is all part of a campaign to crack open the economy. It is likely fated to fail, get people killed, and worsen the crisis but that won't stop him. He will just continue to place the blame anywhere but himself.

Edit: In law and order news, the police have been camping out in front of the gym in South Jersey. They issued the owners a summons to appear for violating the EO and arrested a gym patron. I didn't see why but I'd assume an open warrant. That said members are still showing up. The dumbest protest.
Plus Trump has leverage over governors by means of control of federal aid, medical supplies, etc. He can't directly order them, but he has means to compel them, albeit imperfectly.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile, more and more universities are announcing plans to start classes early and try to get the kids home before what they believe will be the 2nd wave. NYU just announced their plans to have kids in housing this fall. That seems really...hopeful.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No one asked me, but I'm against these plans. The virus isn't on a schedule and the idea that colleges (or schools) are going to outsmart it by doing things earlier is really misguided. Bring groups of people together, risk goes up - end of story. What you're really seeing is colleges and universities in a panic because of revenue shortfalls associated with empty campuses, housing, and dining services come September. It's also hard to justify full tuition when your campus (and all the amenities) are closed. So instead, let's open "early" and get that cash rolling again. It's gross.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Tl;dr"?
I was suggesting that tldr would be his response.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:33 pmWhat you're really seeing is colleges and universities in a panic because of revenue shortfalls associated with empty campuses, housing, and dining services come September. It's also hard to justify full tuition when your campus (and all the amenities) are closed. So instead, let's open "early" and get that cash rolling again. It's gross.
That's what I assumed was driving the decisions. At this point our entire society is gross. Nothing is perfect but we've seen that it is ugly, run by evil people, and motivated to enrich the few. We've probably just been lucky that people aren't going hungry or else we'd probably be in big trouble. 40M people out of work is no joke.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Never thought I'd live to see this - Philadelphia warning residents to stay away from NJ. :lol:
“Don’t go to the beach,” Philadelphia health commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley advised at Monday briefing. “We’re not recommending people go to the beach. If you go into crowds there’s a risk. We understand the draw, it’s very tempting. You may have gone to the beach every Memorial Day weekend for years, but this is not the time to do that. Let’s wait until the case counts are lower for it to be safer.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:41 pm Never thought I'd live to see this - Philadelphia warning residents to stay away from NJ. :lol:
“Don’t go to the beach,” Philadelphia health commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley advised at Monday briefing. “We’re not recommending people go to the beach. If you go into crowds there’s a risk. We understand the draw, it’s very tempting. You may have gone to the beach every Memorial Day weekend for years, but this is not the time to do that. Let’s wait until the case counts are lower for it to be safer.”
PA and NJ are both trending up on deaths and new cases comparatively. PA looks to be the next hotbed to me. They were doing surprisingly well considering their surrounding regions, then...

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/go ... ing-may-8/

I wonder what MI will look like in two weeks as we've opened up a lot this week. Though we were much harder hit early. *fingers crossed*
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:52 pm PA and NJ are both trending up on deaths and new cases comparatively. PA looks to be the next hotbed to me. They were doing surprisingly well considering their surrounding regions, then...

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/go ... ing-may-8/
The counties opening back up are the western 2/3 of the state, where case rates have been into Yellow for a while. (Even so, restrictions on schools, gyms, hair salons, large gatherings, indoor entertainment, etc remain in place.)

The more densely populated eastern counties (especially the Philadelphia area) are still well into the Red and remain closed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:41 pm Never thought I'd live to see this - Philadelphia warning residents to stay away from NJ. :lol:
Also funny to see Wolf call out Murphy and Hogan for opening the beaches in the first place. Wildwood and Ocean Beach won't be the same without those jabronis.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:37 pm
"Tl;dr"?
I was suggesting that tldr would be his response.
He'll say something about how he's never heard of The Lancet and how their circulation numbers are terrible and how peer reviewed journals are dead media anyway.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also funny to see Wolf call out Murphy and Hogan for opening the beaches in the first place. Wildwood and Ocean Beach won't be the same without those jabronis.
I'm glad they said it because I've been scratching my head over it. I mean, I get it - it's outdoors and (technically) low risk. However, it's also an entire tourist industry and predicated on packing as many people along the NJ coast as possible. I have no doubts Murphy knew the shore communities were going to likely open without his approval - because again, they act/function like their own individual states. I have a feeling in the weeks to come, this is going to be looked at as a really bad decision. That being said, I don't know that he had much of a choice realistically given how the state is organized. Maybe I'm wrong and there won't be any problems. But considering how a neighborhood in the NE part of the state tossed all social distancing rules out the window yesterday after a bear was seen in a tree, I'm not real confident things are going to work out on ~120 miles of shoreline.

Add in the fact that the Turnpike and Parkway are magically going to start taking cash tolls again (as of today) and it's hard to not be cynical.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm But considering how a neighborhood in the NE part of the state tossed all social distancing rules out the window yesterday after a bear was seen in a tree, I'm not real confident things are going to work out on ~120 miles of shoreline.
Thought this was some kind of New Jersey euphemism/slang but nope, there was actually a bear in a tree and everyone came out to see it.

Goddamn, people are dumb sheep.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Out of context quote of the day

"The bear was too high to tranquilize"
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:55 pm Out of context quote of the day

"The bear was too high to tranquilize"
BREAK ON THROUGH!!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But what did Alice have to say?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm But what did Alice have to say?
She thanks you kindly, so serene.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Excellent quick summary of latest info from MMWR:

2 people with #COVID19 went to church.
They gave it to at least 35 others.
3 died.
From contact with the church cases, at least 26 other people in the community got it.
Another person died.

It took only 2 people to infect 61 others & kill 4.

So, that reopening the U.S. thing
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Contact tracing is an invasion of privacy and unconstitutional. Expect gun toting patriots to camp on your lawn with intent of watering the tree of liberty.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:15 pm Excellent quick summary of latest info from MMWR:

2 people with #COVID19 went to church.
They gave it to at least 35 others.
3 died.
From contact with the church cases, at least 26 other people in the community got it.
Another person died.

It took only 2 people to infect 61 others & kill 4.

So, that reopening the U.S. thing
What denomination? It may have been that God wasn't fully on their side.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm
I'm glad they said it because I've been scratching my head over it. I mean, I get it - it's outdoors and (technically) low risk. However, it's also an entire tourist industry and predicated on packing as many people along the NJ coast as possible. I have no doubts Murphy knew the shore communities were going to likely open without his approval - because again, they act/function like their own individual states. I have a feeling in the weeks to come, this is going to be looked at as a really bad decision. That being said, I don't know that he had much of a choice realistically given how the state is organized. Maybe I'm wrong and there won't be any problems. But considering how a neighborhood in the NE part of the state tossed all social distancing rules out the window yesterday after a bear was seen in a tree, I'm not real confident things are going to work out on ~120 miles of shoreline.

Add in the fact that the Turnpike and Parkway are magically going to start taking cash tolls again (as of today) and it's hard to not be cynical.
Yeah - withholding aid to blue states had its effect. Every day I think I can't be more disappointed and then I'm proven wrong.
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm Contact tracing is an invasion of privacy and unconstitutional. Expect gun toting patriots to camp on your lawn with intent of watering the tree of liberty.
It's funny that the sentence starts, "Life..." *then* 'liberty'. Even then I'd take the libertarian stance that my right to swing my fist stops right before your nose. Instead many have collectively just thrown all our values out the window and decided killing the elderly is fine as long as I get mine. Whatever. I have no doubt future generations will look back on the ruins of this nation and remember the wonderful spirit of individualism but also the lesson that it was poisoned and killed by mass ignorance, bottomless greed, lack of civic awareness, absence of compassion, and ultimately societal corruption by the wealthy.
Last edited by malchior on Tue May 19, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Really good piece on is it safe for kids to go to daycare? on Vox. See if you can figure out the underlying theme that summarizes how the pandemic is being handled in the United States:
The US federal government has essentially left it up to states, localities, and even individual care center owners to decide if they will be open — and if they choose to be, in what capacity.

This has resulted in a patchwork of changing policies across the country, as the Hunt Institute, an education research group affiliated with Duke University, documents in a detailed report of states’ rules and recommendations for child care operations.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The scientist who spent two months developing FL's covid-tracking site, working alone 16 hours a day, says she was fired for refusing to cook the data. Oh, and they didn't pay her.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That isn't a surprise. I figured Kemp and DeSantis would just cook the books. Trump is pressuring the CDC to do so as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are there investment funds available for law firms that sue the government?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
President Trump ... called the high number of US Covid-19 cases a “badge of honor” because it means the US is testing more people.
“By the way,” the President interjected, “when you say that we lead in cases, that’s because we have more testing than anybody else.”

“Actually the number of cases, and we’re also a much bigger country than most, so when we have a lot of cases, I don’t look at that as a bad thing, I look at that as, in a certain respect, as a good thing, because it means our testing is better,” he said.

“I view it as a badge of honor. Really, it’s a badge of honor,” Trump said. “It’s a great tribute to the testing and all of the work that a lot of professionals have done.”
Vox
President Donald Trump is now dismissing medical information promulgated by his own government as a “Trump enemy statement.”

Trump made that remark on Tuesday afternoon, when he was asked following a lunch with Republican senators to explain his rationale for promoting unproven and potentially dangerous hydroxychloroquine treatments for coronavirus. The president’s ensuing effort to defend the stunning announcement he made on Monday that he’s taking the anti-malarial drug didn’t end up making much sense. But it did reveal a reflexive contempt for scientific reasoning that undercuts his talking points.

“Why is it okay for you to promote the use of this drug when you’re not a doctor?” a reporter asked. Trump responded by making a case that he knows better than medical professionals do.

“I worked with doctors,” he began. “If you look at the one survey, the only bad survey, they were giving it to people that were in very bad shape, they were very old, almost dead. It was a Trump enemy statement.”
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:30 pmWhat denomination? It may have been that God wasn't fully on their side.
I hear atheists are immune to COVID-19 and it's only killing church goers. Everyone should convert.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump is howling about how everything is China's fault again this morning.

I wish someone with even the slightest set of cojones would ask him how China is in any way responsible for the US' response to the virus.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If only he was howling about China. Let's not ignore this one:

Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election. This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!..
The President of the United States of America is threatening to cut aid to a state in crisis if they allow vote by mail.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I feel silly asking this given Trump, but are there any grounds for the claim that the ballots were sent "illegally and without authorization"?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can read the news here:
The president said, falsely, that Michigan is sending absentee ballots to 7.7 million voters, following that with a warning to Nevada if it pursues voting by mail.

Michigan's secretary of state, Jocelyn Benson, said Tuesday that all of those registered voters will be mailed applications for absentee ballots for the state’s elections in August and November — not the absentee ballots themselves.
You know what? Even if Michigan was doing something hinky, at no point should the President of the United States threaten aid to American citizens, full-goddamn-stop. His vocal concern over making sure people can vote in November should be a gigantic alarm.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The lie seems to start with saying that they sent out ballots. Apparently they sent out applications for absentee ballots. I'm hard pressed to see how it can be illegal to send everyone an application so that they can easily apply for a ballot if they want one.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 am You can read the news here:
The president said, falsely, that Michigan is sending absentee ballots to 7.7 million voters, following that with a warning to Nevada if it pursues voting by mail.

Michigan's secretary of state, Jocelyn Benson, said Tuesday that all of those registered voters will be mailed applications for absentee ballots for the state’s elections in August and November — not the absentee ballots themselves.
You know what? Even if Michigan was doing something hinky, at no point should the President of the United States threaten aid to American citizens, full-goddamn-stop. His vocal concern over making sure people can vote in November should be a gigantic alarm.
He's threatening Nevada too.

State of Nevada “thinks” that they can send out illegal vote by mail ballots, creating a great Voter Fraud scenario for the State and the U.S. They can’t! If they do, “I think” I can hold up funds to the State. Sorry, but you must not cheat in elections. @RussVought45 @USTreasury
JFC
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And, of course, Trump voted by mail in Florida this year.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Motherfucker seems intent on trying to hold as many votes hostage as he can. Who needs to campaign for office when you can just shut down anyone who opposes you?

Any day now I'm expecting to see him officially declare Democrats enemies of the state and have them forcibly removed from their positions of power.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My county just declared that since they can't be certain who is fully recovered, they can't be certain how many active cases there are, and that as a result, the will no longer be reporting active cases.

Yeah, that's some good tracking there, Indiana.