Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Octavious »

And the fucktard tours the Ford plant without a mask even though the expressly asked him to wear one. Shocking pretty much nobody. Good thing we haven't had anyone killed over this or anything. I hope he dies a horrible painful death.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

President Two Scoops masks for no one.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Which states meet recommended testing criteria set by the WHO?
If a positivity rate is too high, that may indicate that the state is only testing the sickest patients who seek medical attention, and is not casting a wide enough net to know how much of the virus is spreading within its communities. A low rate of positivity in testing data can be seen as a sign that a state has sufficient testing capacity for the size of their outbreak and is testing enough of its population to make informed decisions about reopening. Which U.S. states are testing enough to meet the WHO’s goal?

The @WHO has advised governments that before reopening, the percentage of #COVID19 tests that are positive should remain <5% for 14 days. We found that 26 US states don't yet meet this criterion.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not a cover up

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:Which states meet recommended testing criteria set by the WHO?
I'm not really surprised that NC is on the positive (albeit lower end) of that scale. While I don't think they're doing anything super shady in terms of the numbers, I do think they're continuously taking the most optimistic view of numbers that are teetering on the edge between go and no-go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 am Not a cover up
Strange things are afoot at the CDC:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest coronavirus dashboard combines data on two different kinds of tests that experts say could be inflating key statistics that epidemiologists use to monitor the outbreak.

Because serological tests are meant to be used for both asymptomatic and symptomatic people while diagnostic tests, or PCR tests, are currently being used often to confirm suspected infections, people are less likely to test positive with a serological test than with a PCR test, said Robert Bednarczyk, assistant professor of global health and epidemiology at Emory University.

“If we’re testing more people and not finding as many cases, that would be a sign that things are getting better,” he told CNBC. “But if that’s happening because we’re artificially inflating the test numbers, then we are not seeing the true picture.”
This is not an accident; this is not a "whoops, our bad". This is intentional manipulation of data and I believe it's being orchestrated.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:16 pm
The @WHO has advised governments that before reopening, the percentage of #COVID19 tests that are positive should remain <5% for 14 days. We found that 26 US states don't yet meet this criterion.
I wonder where local stat followers are pulling their info from. They report "experts" recommend 12% positives
Experts say one benchmark to reopen the state will be when positive virus tests fall below 12 percent. Since the peak of daily new cases, that rate has fallen as the number of tests has risen.
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-coron ... s-and-maps

I gotta say, from the ignorant stands, 12% seemed high to me. We're around 6% and it seems we're finally "flattening" and I can understand the slowly moving forward and testing the response, like in two week cycles, examining how hospitals respond, slowly opening.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I have no idea where locals are puling their data/plans from. I don't even know what my own state is doing anymore, if I were being brutally honest.

Speaking of WTF is happening in other states:

Georgia's public health department plans to furlough staffers - including those working in infectious disease control and epidemiology - one day a month to meet state-mandated spending cuts.
I get that tough budgetary decisions need to be made during a disease outbreak, and while I don't know exactly what choices were presented this seems like the very definition of being short-sighted.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe if they have an outbreak of court cases they can retire a bunch of judges.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One day a month isn't huge deal. The standard I'm seeing is 1 day a week.

I mean the DPH isn't where I'd start with cuts but these look like minimal cuts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

America is officially in "fuck it" mode.
When doing the right thing is too hard, we give up and let fate run wild

To outsiders, the way Americans have resisted all measures for controlling the spread of COVID-19 — and successfully pushed for “reopening” in a good many states, despite testing failures and the absence of a vaccine — must seem ludicrous. Has any culture lived in such denial, or appeared so bent on self-destruction?

I can’t say for sure. But I also know that this attitude is far from unprecedented. We are a people who face danger with reckless abandon, just drunk enough to think we’re invincible. When the going gets tough, we say, “Fuck it.”
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I dunno about America but this a photo of I-75 for the weekend.

Enlarge Image

All those "Up North" counties with 0-2 reported COVID 19 cases but whom also rely on instate tourism for their livelihood? Welcome to the party.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis on March 01: WFH? What the hell does that mean? What the Fuckin Hell? No. You'd include the the
LordMortis in April. WFH is nearly every email he reads or writes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We're lucky to be getting rain tomorrow but sunshine and high temps on Sunday and Monday probably means a lot of social closeness and the annual shooting gallery. Have no idea what the beaches will look like. City and county have closed them and blocked parking lots. We'll see.

I've got brauts, kraut, onions and a bunch of propane. Will be sitting overwatch on the decks with the kiddos and don't expect to leave the house except maybe for exercise.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just anecdotally, the beaches are PACKED around here. To a level I don't typically see even in the peak of summer. I asked my wife to take a rough sample of how many people were wearing masks the next time she went to the grocery store. Her response when she got back? "Me and two other people." Out of an entire grocery store full.

It is true that our town has one of the lowest positive rates per capita in the state. But I have a feeling it's not going to stay that way for long. We are also a tourist town, which means a LOT of people coming from out of state and neighboring counties to shop and go to the beach.

"Fuck it mode" indeed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hadn't seen that - thanks for sharing it. I think it's spot-on and between the article and the embedded social media posts they've included, it's filling me with weltschmerz.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm We're lucky to be getting rain tomorrow
Says someone who didn't have to swamp out his basement twice last week . . . . :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Areas where pre-existing medical conditions could make COVID worse.

Enlarge Image

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... tions.html

Any ideas what is causing unhealthiness in nearly deserted areas of Nevada and NE CA?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:clap:

Edit: For Defiant

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:02 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm We're lucky to be getting rain tomorrow
Says someone who didn't have to swamp out his basement twice last week . . . . :P
My wife came back from the factory and confirmed this. We went to check it out and again middle of the fucking hot zone and the Target/Costco parking lots are Christmas full. That article captures my mood. I'm disgusted with our culture. The rest of the world can't ignore us but that light that is shining light on the hill is a juggalo bon fire. Except even ICP is smarter even.
Last edited by malchior on Fri May 22, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 pm Areas where pre-existing medical conditions could make COVID worse.

Enlarge Image

Any ideas what is causing unhealthiness in nearly deserted areas of Nevada and NE CA?
Just a guess but drugs and alcohol?

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pm I asked my wife to take a rough sample of how many people were wearing masks the next time she went to the grocery store. Her response when she got back? "Me and two other people." Out of an entire grocery store full.
I would guess it’s maybe 10-15% around here, at most. And those who do get a truckload of nasty looks and comments from the derp brigade, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see that percentage drop even further.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm I would guess it’s maybe 10-15% around here, at most. And those who do get a truckload of nasty looks and comments from the derp brigade, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see that percentage drop even further.
I'm not sure how I'd respond if someone challenged me for wearing a mask. I'm pretty high on the non confrontational scale but right now with election season looming, and my anxiety on high, and being very much in the at risk populace, and never leaving the house, I might snap.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://apnews.com/8a34b6599602dbd751f2c1fcb93387fe
“Today I’m identifying houses of worship — churches, synagogues and mosques — as essential places that provide essential services,” Trump said during a hastily arranged press conference at the White House, where he didn’t take questions. He said if governors don’t abide by his request, he will “override” them, though it’s unclear what authority he has to do so.
If he gets my parents killed, the last of my ability to be polite will be gone forever.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm I would guess it’s maybe 10-15% around here, at most. And those who do get a truckload of nasty looks and comments from the derp brigade, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see that percentage drop even further.
I'm not sure how I'd respond if someone challenged me for wearing a mask. I'm pretty high on the non confrontational scale but right now with election season looming, and my anxiety on high, and being very much in the at risk populace, and never leaving the house, I might snap.
Another part of the reason why I'm staying home these days, tbh.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My friend whose dad passed away last week from Coronavirus went by her dad's favorite place to get a bite to eat. They had big signs up on the front of the door about not wanting to serve anyone who wore a mask, freedom, etc, etc. Her dad had eaten there not long before getting sick. :grund:
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 pm Areas where pre-existing medical conditions could make COVID worse.

Enlarge Image

Maybe so. Those places are so empty that nearly any stat would be mostly useless.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Alefroth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Enlarge Image

Maybe so. Those places are so empty that nearly any stat would be mostly useless.
As far as I know, those places also don't have enough primary care physicians, clinics, that sort of thing - and lots of retirees (including veterans) that aren't getting regular preventative care because of this.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

meanwhile, Seattle (and a huge chunk of the middle of WA) is almost certainly _not_ progressing to Phase 2 on June 1st:

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Enlarge Image

The map might be a proportion of the population there, rather than the raw numbers?

Given that half of Americans have a cardiovascular disease, I'm surprised it's not all reddish.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Enlarge Image

"Native Americans are particularly susceptible to the coronavirus because they suffer from disproportionate rates of asthma, heart disease, hypertension and diabetes. Add to that lack of access to health care and pervasive poverty among the estimated 5.2 million people that identity as Native American or Alaskan native."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/us/nativ ... index.html
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That part about the administration leaving it up to the states? Only if the states do what the administration wants.

The Justice Department is adding its support to a lawsuit challenging the pandemic-related stay at home restrictions in Illinois.

On Friday, DOJ lawyers filed a statement of interest backing a lawsuit filed by Illinois state Rep. Darren Bailey, a Republican who charges Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker's emergency orders to help the state cope with the pandemic have exceed his authority.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The largest hydroxychloroquine study concluded. 96,000 were studied. With it alone there is a large 34% increase in death and it with that antibiotic theres a 45% increase in death.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pandemic haircuts!
"I wasn't expecting a high volume at all," she said. "And when my phone had over 100 texts in one day, I was like, 'Oh my goodness, what am I gonna do?' [There are] a lot of people out there that [need] haircuts!"

Carmelle asked that her last name not be used for fear of losing her cosmetologist license. What she's doing is not allowed: Salons are still closed under California's stay-at-home order. Stylists who cut hair anyway could be penalized by the state Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.

But Carmelle said she's doing nothing wrong.

"Before you judge, put yourself in my situation first. My hands are tied," she said.
If something happens, contact tracers will figure it out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 am Pandemic haircuts!
"I wasn't expecting a high volume at all," she said. "And when my phone had over 100 texts in one day, I was like, 'Oh my goodness, what am I gonna do?' [There are] a lot of people out there that [need] haircuts!"

Carmelle asked that her last name not be used for fear of losing her cosmetologist license. What she's doing is not allowed: Salons are still closed under California's stay-at-home order. Stylists who cut hair anyway could be penalized by the state Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.

But Carmelle said she's doing nothing wrong.

"Before you judge, put yourself in my situation first. My hands are tied," she said.
If something happens, contact tracers will figure it out.
Just an aside: When I was a kid, Les the Barber, who had cut my (bald) dad's hair since the days when he had some and had cut mine all my life, retired and closed his shop. But not to worry: Les had a barber's chair and full equipment in his basement, and he continued serving his old customers until he got too old and feeble to do it. Every time we went, he and my dad went through the same ritual of dad offering to pay, Les refusing to take his money, and dad putting some bills on the table "to cover his greens fees." I have no idea what the legalities of private barbering were, but Les wasn't technically getting paid for it (and certainly not declaring the income) so all was presumably fine. If there's a point to this story, it's that informal barbering services have been going on forever.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well it's one thing to avoid the tax man and state licensing. It's another to be the Typhoid Mary of Fleet Street.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:That part about the administration leaving it up to the states? Only if the states do what the administration wants.

The Justice Department is adding its support to a lawsuit challenging the pandemic-related stay at home restrictions in Illinois.

On Friday, DOJ lawyers filed a statement of interest backing a lawsuit filed by Illinois state Rep. Darren Bailey, a Republican who charges Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker's emergency orders to help the state cope with the pandemic have exceed his authority.
That's been the GOP stance for decades now.