Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by malchior »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:55 pm The big news in my extended family is a story on how Florida has done everything right (originally in the NYT I think). It makes a good case that they handled the nursing home situation terrifically but I think it is a little early to say that opening up has been a complete success.
It is the NY post...so heaping handfuls of salt. DeSantis might have just got lucky. He repeated Trump lies, he dragged his feet, and he exported disease to other states by letting Spring Break happen. To his credit once they moved he did prioritize testing for the elderly and didn't let elders return to homes without testing.

NY/NJ in contrast forced homes to take coronavirus patients but it is unknown if that had much impact despite GOP talking points criticism around it. They were running out of beds and didn't want elders trapped without someplace to stay. Some states dedicated facilities for covid 19 positive elders. Why didn't NY/NJ? I don't know but I suspect it was complicated.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Houston Chronicle
Gov. Greg Abbott is pushing back hard against bipartisan criticism of a hastily awarded contract that put a little-known North Texas technology company in charge of the state’s effort to track down people who may be exposed to the coronavirus.

The company, MTX Group, asserted in its bid for the $295 million contract — with little evidence — that it had “extensive experience” doing contact tracing in several U.S. states.
MTX has declined repeated requests for interviews and has refused to answer questions about the work it has done in other states. According to a published report, the company had about 200 employees as of late last year, most of them in India.

Meanwhile, legislators from both parties — caught off guard by the massive contract — continue to heap criticism on the quick bid solicitation process, the lack of transparency and concerns over the civil liberties of people who will get calls from the contact tracers.
An unredacted version of the contract, obtained by Hearst Newspapers, shows the extent of the censorship of the company’s bid: blocked out descriptions of its hiring process, the numbers of employees that could be brought on board, the contact tracing platform that will be used and visualizations of the app that shows how the company will help keep track of infected people, people they interacted with and “family members.”
DSHS spokesman Chris Van Deusen said the agency allowed MTX to decide what could be released for now from their proposal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

"I just want to reiterate once again that the policy that the Department of Health put out was in line directly with the March 13 directive put out by (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) that read, and I quote, 'Nursing homes should admit any individuals from hospitals where Covid is present,'" said Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa on Saturday during a briefing. "Not could, should ... that is President (Donald) Trump's CMS and CDC.
Cuomo says New York followed federal guidelines when sending coronavirus patients to nursing homes
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Trump threatens to pull RNC out of North Carolina unless Dem governor caves to allow mass gatherings

If you don't allow people to expose themselves to the virus to a much greater extent, I won't expose a lot of people plus myself to the virus!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id probably go to jail for killing them or half killing them. Id plead self defense. If it white boxes just click the text area below the video to make it play .

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Memorial Day weekend in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

Most folks up visiting from Illinois (where masks are required) to Wisconsin (where they are not).

Just about everything is open.
As someone that has been at home since the second week of March - only leaving my home to get food - it's getting kind of hard to not get resentful.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What the Coronavirus Revealed About Life in Red vs. Blue States https://nyti.ms/2AZ4wuV
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am What the Coronavirus Revealed About Life in Red vs. Blue States https://nyti.ms/2AZ4wuV
Not signing up even if its free. Is it a map and stuff? I see a piece of it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:37 am
Memorial Day weekend in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

Most folks up visiting from Illinois (where masks are required) to Wisconsin (where they are not).

Just about everything is open.
As someone that has been at home since the second week of March - only leaving my home to get food - it's getting kind of hard to not get resentful.
Lots of Illinoisians also going to wide open Indiana. Bring whatever from home there and then bring whatever back home.

And people still wonder why this should be handled at the federal level..
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If stupid folk would just die off it would be a good start. Unfortunately they take the good people with them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am What the Coronavirus Revealed About Life in Red vs. Blue States https://nyti.ms/2AZ4wuV
Not signing up even if its free. Is it a map and stuff? I see a piece of it.
It's a comparison of the virus in Clinton2016 and Trump2016 counties.

Clinton counties have had many more cases, mainly due to population density (as Democrats tend to win cities).

It's (largely) the urban/rural divide you would expect, except that many newer hot spots like factories and meat plants are in Trump areas.

There's also the human-interest angle of Trump residents declaring that they're never going back into lockdown again, even for a second wave.

In short: it's a Big News Flash that the country is politically divided over the virus even though polling favors careful measures.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:43 am Trump threatens to pull RNC out of North Carolina unless Dem governor caves to allow mass gatherings

If you don't allow people to expose themselves to the virus to a much greater extent, I won't expose a lot of people plus myself to the virus!

I really don't understand how this is supposed to put pressure on the governor?
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 pm
Defiant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:43 am Trump threatens to pull RNC out of North Carolina unless Dem governor caves to allow mass gatherings

Revenue from the convention. Both for local business and taxes. Plus world-class prostitution. All goes somewhere else if it gets pulled.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Trump can keep his $#(*&@($& convention out of our state. And the money that goes with it.

However, if I was Cooper, I'd be tempted to let as many Republicans as possible into the building. Pack 'em in like sardines.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:51 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Revenue from the convention. Both for local business and taxes. Plus world-class prostitution. All goes somewhere else if it gets pulled.
Maybe it's more to further inflame the MAGAts in NC? Gotta keep the hatred burning bright, and nothing does that like oppression.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Here in CO, restaurants are reopening for dine-in this Wednesday. I'm sure this will go extremely well...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So there haven't been any final decisions yet, but from the e-mails that we're getting it seems like the probable outcome is that summer camps in MA will be open in some form this summer. The camps are still waiting for final word from the state on whether they can open at all and under what conditions, but the impression is that the state will likely allow it. Once the camps make a final decision on being open and what that will look like, we'll have about a week to formally decide what we're going to do.

Currently, for the first half of the summer the kids are supposed to go to an outdoors day camp - archery, play around a lake, etc. I can conceivably see how *maybe* that could be done at lower risk under the right safety precautions / protocols, at least on days that it's not raining. For the second half of the summer the kids are supposed to go to an arts / crafts type camp that's mostly indoors. I don't really see how that could plausibly be safe unless something dramatically changes by July / August.

I dunno. For now we'll see what happens, what the ultimate decisions are, what safety procedures they're putting in place, but I don't know how it's supposed to work. Mainly I'm interested in whether it could be safe to send them just to the outdoor camp but keep them home if it's raining. As much as it would be great if the answer to that is yes, it's hard to see how it could be.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda sad everything I see is people waiting on word from such n such. Just stay away from others no matter what such n such says. Use the brain ya got :)

EDIT: Thats not angled at you El. Meant to be for the country. I dont care what such n such says Im not gettign around others or out unless I think its ok....well cept for must have stuff like the doc tomorrow if I can get in .And I DONT want to be there. If my wife was alive Id not need to go.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The risk to kids playing outdoors is very small. Everyone will be fine if you don't let them come back home.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 pm Here in CO, restaurants are reopening for dine-in this Wednesday. I'm sure this will go extremely well...
I'm curious to see what "yesterday's" reports look like Wednesday. You figure by Tuesday all of the incubation will be done from everyone threw caution to the wind over the memorial weekend. Honestly, it's my hope things aren't that bad. If milk is spilled, the best you can hope for is that test all the volunteer test monkeys were right. Watching how quickly we went from one to 700+ a day, I'm dubious but I will feel a sense of relief if I don't see spike over the next 24 hours.

My work at work is still essential personnel only (which I will be today and then home again tomorrow, hopefully taking a bunch of things with me) and theoretically last week was the last of intermittent furloughs, so selfishly, my life is still good.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:03 pm
She's secretly attempting to assassinate her husband.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 amThis is not an accident; this is not a "whoops, our bad". This is intentional manipulation of data and I believe it's being orchestrated.
For a long time, it seemed the GOP stance on global warming and the catastrophic consequences of that were "Hey, we're f**ked anyway. Head straight into it and rake up the cash on the way!" and the response to the pandemic is eerily similar.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 am For a long time, it seemed the GOP stance on global warming and the catastrophic consequences of that were "Hey, we're f**ked anyway. Head straight into it and rake up the cash on the way!" and the response to the pandemic is eerily similar.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wouldn't say it is 'fuck it' at the GOP policy level. It is let's convince people to say 'fuck it' so that they can continue to loot the nation. This is all manufactured and intentional. They are know what they are doing. Do you think McConnell truly buys this bullshit. Of course not, he is just a hog at the trough.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is foreboding for workplaces. “The number of Tyson employees with the coronavirus has exploded from less than 1,600 a month ago to more than 7,000 today” - even after safety equipment installed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 pm Here in CO, restaurants are reopening for dine-in this Wednesday. I'm sure this will go extremely well...
I'm curious to see what "yesterday's" reports look like Wednesday. You figure by Tuesday all of the incubation will be done from everyone threw caution to the wind over the memorial weekend.
I believe it will take longer than that. Exposure - symptoms averages 5-6 days, then you need a couple of days for people to be convinced that, yes, they really do need to see a doctor, then making the appointment, getting the test, waiting for the results, the results being reported. That would suggest ten days to two weeks before the numbers start to show.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am
I'm curious to see what "yesterday's" reports look like Wednesday. You figure by Tuesday all of the incubation will be done from everyone threw caution to the wind over the memorial weekend.
I believe it will take longer than that. Exposure - symptoms averages 5-6 days, then you need a couple of days for people to be convinced that, yes, they really do need to see a doctor, then making the appointment, getting the test, waiting for the results, the results being reported. That would suggest ten days to two weeks before the numbers start to show.
Rule of thumb last I heard is 7-10 days.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:06 am So there haven't been any final decisions yet, but from the e-mails that we're getting it seems like the probable outcome is that summer camps in MA will be open in some form this summer. The camps are still waiting for final word from the state on whether they can open at all and under what conditions, but the impression is that the state will likely allow it. Once the camps make a final decision on being open and what that will look like, we'll have about a week to formally decide what we're going to do.

Currently, for the first half of the summer the kids are supposed to go to an outdoors day camp - archery, play around a lake, etc. I can conceivably see how *maybe* that could be done at lower risk under the right safety precautions / protocols, at least on days that it's not raining. For the second half of the summer the kids are supposed to go to an arts / crafts type camp that's mostly indoors. I don't really see how that could plausibly be safe unless something dramatically changes by July / August.

I dunno. For now we'll see what happens, what the ultimate decisions are, what safety procedures they're putting in place, but I don't know how it's supposed to work. Mainly I'm interested in whether it could be safe to send them just to the outdoor camp but keep them home if it's raining. As much as it would be great if the answer to that is yes, it's hard to see how it could be.
My son got his rewards for doing awesome in kindergarten. They included an unusable Six Flags pass and an unusable water park pass.

The kids are holding up surprisingly well, and are probably taking social distancing so far. My wife encouraged our 3 year old to meet a new neighbor around the same age, to which she refused, saying "no mommy, the virus!" Similarly, we were walking when some girls rode by on bikes and said hi to my son. He ignored them, when I said don't be rude, say hi, he cited the virus as the reason he didn't say anything.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A poll of the English on the belief in conspiracy theories related to the coronavirus

~45% believe it was a bioweapon developed by China
~20% believe Jews created it for financial gain
~20% believe Muslims are spreading it as an attack on western values
~20% believe Gates created it in order to reduce the population

(Not sure how much these overlap. Do people, for example, believe that Jews and Muslims are working together? I'm hoping they completely overlap each other - at least then we have a slight majority that don't believe in conspiracy theories)

Another ~25% believe celebrities are being paid to claim they have it, and another 25% that politicians have faked having it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 am
I guess that changed when I wasn't reading. I thought symptoms started 2-5 days for most and that most people are still on heightened sense of awareness.

First thing google spit at me (though not directly from CDC)
The respiratory symptoms of COVID-19 typically appear an average of 5-6 days after exposure, but may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
So, assuming the bulk of reckless mingling happened Sun/Mon. I guess I wait to see what happens between now an next Tuesday and keep on watching for the week after.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Oregon. Last week on Friday? (I lose track of days) I went to the restaurant to pick up my order, and they were seating people inside, every other table. It also looked like they were training a new waitress. That upset me. Not because they were open, but because they didn't rehire the old staff.
Maybe they had good reason, I don't know, and I didn't ask.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:17 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 am
I guess that changed when I wasn't reading. I thought symptoms started 2-5 days for most and that most people are still on heightened sense of awareness.

First thing google spit at me (though not directly from CDC)
The respiratory symptoms of COVID-19 typically appear an average of 5-6 days after exposure, but may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
So, assuming the bulk of reckless mingling happened Sun/Mon. I guess I wait to see what happens between now an next Tuesday and keep on watching for the week after.
On an individual level it's maybe a shorter time but at the statistical level impact is generally viewed about a week trailing.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:02 pm
What lazy conspiracy theorists. "The Jews did it for money" - wow, how original.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 pm
Defiant wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:02 pm
What lazy conspiracy theorists. "The Jews did it for money" - wow, how original.
Like they have any other motivation. :roll:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Epidemic is now surging in rural US. Plus lack of support for rural hospitals is particularly alarming. “We’re swamped with patients now. We don’t have the equipment & resources like the cities do." Just look at the ominous graphs.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's ok. They'll revere the dead who died for their freedom to not wear masks in our cold civil war. Nah who am I kidding. It'll be some variants of they aren't my kin, crisis actors, fake news, or this will turn out to be non-whites working the jobs they stole from white folk.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:59 pm The kids are holding up surprisingly well, and are probably taking social distancing so far. My wife encouraged our 3 year old to meet a new neighbor around the same age, to which she refused, saying "no mommy, the virus!"
Your 3-year old isn't wrong here. Particularly given your wife's profession, your kids probably shouldn't be having play dates, as you have a greater than typical chance of being asymptomatic spreaders.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know one of the diseases Trump has now..Liabetes or Liarbetes..
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Epidemic is now surging in rural US. Plus lack of support for rural hospitals is particularly alarming. “We’re swamped with patients now. We don’t have the equipment & resources like the cities do." Just look at the ominous graphs.
We’re swamped with patients now. We don’t have the equipment & resources like the cities do
No one predicted this either. Total surprise.

MYT