Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Corona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm Didn't know that. its strange to see that on CNN. Musta mistyped Fox.
It's in the editor's note. This is basically an op-ed:
Scott Jennings, a CNN contributor, is a former special assistant to President George W. Bush and a former campaign adviser to Sen. Mitch McConnell. He is a partner at RunSwitch Public Relations in Louisville, Kentucky. Follow him on Twitter @ScottJenningsKY. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own. View more opinion articles on CNN.
It is true that polls indicate that Americans generally approve / are fine with Trump's handling of coronavirus, and that Trump's approval ratings are trending up (at least for now). It is a fair question as to why. This is essentially the GOP answer to the 'why' question.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's notable that his numbers turned upwards when he stopped dismissing the virus and started appearing alongside Fauci and others.

If he follows his instincts and tries to "help the economy" by canceling restrictions and dismissing medical professionals, things will turn again.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anyone else get "President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for America" election postcard mailer today? My rage is palpable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:39 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 pm
GungHo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pmI'm curiously dreading the moment in a couple of weeks when numbers spike in Texas what their responses will be about our governor not having done anything.
Print off a document that says "Today, March 26th, I believe Trump is handling this situation perfectly. I'm proud of my choice to support him."

Ask them to sign it. Remind them that you'll give it back to them when their grandparents and/or parents and/or spouse and/or children succumb to COVID-19.
Generally not a good idea to taunt someone who just lost a loved one.
Easy for you to say, Mr. Perfect.
How could someone who hates vinegar be deemed ‘perfect’?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:13 pm Anyone else get "President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for America" election postcard mailer today? My rage is palpable.
Yes. It was described as free TP.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pmIf he follows his instincts and tries to "help the economy" by canceling restrictions and dismissing medical professionals, things will turn again.
The general consensus in my profession (at least what I'm seeing voiced) is that Dr. Fauci isn't pushing back against Trump publicly and is standing idly by because he knows that in another 7-10 days, there's no way Trump or the administration will be able to continue with the dog and pony show they're currently providing. It's terrifying that only images of dead bodies is going to turn opinions, but I guess welcome to America 2020.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think it's naive to think these ghouls will care. They're fucking evil.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:49 pm This is the data NC presents at it's daily briefings. I wish SC did the same.
637 cases of COVID-19 in 57 counties across North Carolina
Average age is 41 for people with confirmed cases
50 current hospitalizations
2 deaths for people with COVID-19
15K+ tests are pending
More than 10k inpatient hospital beds, more than 5k empty
Information is Based on 75% of hospitals reporting
The only thing I'd change is either report the Median Age of confirmed cases or break it out by age ranges.
Absolutely. There could be nobody aged 41 with the virus confirmed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:13 pm Anyone else get "President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for America" election postcard mailer today? My rage is palpable.
Went straight into the recycle bin.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:
Formix wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:58 pm If we can only get about 2,004 more confirmed cases, we can beat Gyna and be #1! USA! USA!
In this I have no doubt we will be #1!
And your wishes have come true as reported by numerous news outlets. We're number 1! Thank you Mr. Trump!

Fake news CNN says we’re number two. The NYT says otherwise. Regardless we’re still fucked.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:49 pm This is the data NC presents at it's daily briefings. I wish SC did the same.
15K+ tests are pending
The only thing I'd change is either report the Median Age of confirmed cases or break it out by age ranges.
Am I correct in reading that as sarcasm based on administration priorities and not specifically directed at the idea that the median is a better statistic in this case than the mean?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

READ: President Trump's Letter To Governors On New Coronavirus Guidelines

Trump said officials are gathering testing data that will suggest guidelines categorizing counties as "high risk, medium risk or low risk" for the virus. The data will drive "the next phase" of the response, he said.

Trump has indicated that he wants to adjust his 15-day social distancing guidelines so that more parts of the stalled U.S. economy can reopen by April 12. The 15th day of the original guidelines is Monday.
Wait to see what he does to the high risk (largely blue) counties.

He opens the letter stating that he proposed guidelines on March 16 and "citizens across the nation have responded to this call to action in full force." So yeah, he's doing all this.

It's really just a letter to his base.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:54 pm
15K+ tests are pending
Am I correct in reading that as sarcasm based on administration priorities and not specifically directed at the idea that the median is a better statistic in this case than the mean?
Sorry. I can see how it may read sarcastic.

It wasn’t.
This is (academically) a great example of where the median is way more meaningful than the mean.
Let’s say it only effects kids and seniors. Average age : 41.

Like you say, by age would be most meaningful.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That might be true, but if the projections/reports I'm seeing online are correct, there's about to be a reckoning in the southern states. Above and beyond ignoring it, they don't have hospital systems equipped to handle what's likely unfolding. I have a feeling we're about to see what happens when you have patchwork public/community health services varied by state. I have been carrying around a lingering dread for the last week and it's getting worse.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We're now #1. #MAGA #WINNING #TRUMP=SICK
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm
That might be true, but if the projections/reports I'm seeing online are correct, there's about to be a reckoning in the southern states. Above and beyond ignoring it, they don't have hospital systems equipped to handle what's likely unfolding. I have a feeling we're about to see what happens when you have patchwork public/community health services varied by state. I have been carrying around a lingering dread for the last week and it's getting worse.
I mean it's a worthless letter except to appease/stoke the base. He can't hold his cult rallies in-person so he's putting them on White House stationary.

NOLA and Mississippi are blowing up, so Southern states are already feeling it. But yeah, rural systems will be paralyzed if they get numbers. The thing saving them for now is the natural distancing that happens in rural systems. But with Walmart and Starbucks bringing everyone together, it's not as distanced as everyone thinks.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm
Louisiana has been steadily rising in positive cases and I agree that more southern states will make up a second wave of illness.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:24 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:54 pm
15K+ tests are pending
Sorry. I can see how it may read sarcastic.

It wasn’t.
This is (academically) a great example of where the median is way more meaningful than the mean.
Let’s say it only effects kids and seniors. Average age : 41.

Like you say, by age would be most meaningful.
Ah, my apologies. Thanks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm
+1

As long as most of the deaths are in blue states, the China-hat crowd will roar their approval. That should even out in a couple of weeks.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Michigan didn't take this seriously and now their infected rate outpaces Washington state.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm
+1

As long as most of the deaths are in blue states, the China-hat crowd will roar their approval. That should even out in a couple of weeks.
Yeah but then they can blame it on New York and San Francisco for letting it into the US. Trump will probably be calling it the Coastal Elite Virus by then.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A place in Cleveland Tn starts drive by testing tomorrow. They are charging $200 per test. Cash only. I find that appalling. Charging for a test the government supplies during a pandemic is bad enough but to make it cash only seems shady. Disgusts me.

https://newschannel9.com/news/local/cle ... r-200-cash

Makes me suspect its just a fast cash scheme to grab money from scared people.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm A place in Cleveland Tn starts drive by testing tomorrow. They are charging $200 per test. Cash only. I find that appalling. Charging for a test the government supplies during a pandemic is bad enough but to make it cash only seems shady. Disgusts me.

The government doesn't supply all tests.

That said, it is odd that they are charging up front and it is cash only. Insurance covers the test. Looking over the link in the article, it's shady. It's probably set up solely to pass-thru test samples at a markup. Looks like the location is usually a drug and alcohol testing center, this isn't part of a clinic or hospital or health system.
FIRST RESPONDERS (City of Cleveland & Bradley County only) with symptoms will receive FREE TESTING.

For all others, this is a cash only lab event for $200.
Reads like a club flyer.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas
The community-based COVID-19 testing site at the American Airlines Center in downtown Dallas reached its federal testing limit before noon Thursday.

With the limit reached, testing is done for the day and will resume at 8 a.m. Friday.
Residents meeting the criteria may continue to be tested at Dallas’ second test site located at the Ellis Davis Field House located at 9191 S. Polk Street.
Dallas County Clay Jenkins tweeted Thursday afternoon he was going to request an additional 400 test kits per day for both sites.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah...the troops along the border has nothing to do with the pandemic...it's to stop us in Canada from dumping cheap steel
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 pmIt's really just a letter to his base.
I think everything he says and does is calculated to appeal to his base. This is not a guy who is trying to connect with anyone else. He personifies Bush's "You're with us or against us" attitude. I can understand why. His base got him elected. Until his base proves to be a losing hand he'll do what he can to keep them motivated.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm
+1

Yeah but then they can blame it on New York and San Francisco for letting it into the US. Trump will probably be calling it the Coastal Elite Virus by then.
Actually that's already happening. People are blaming the "coastal elites" for traveling or allowing foreigners to come and visit them. They say it's a blue state problem and they should fix it, not the federal govt.

Can't wait until hurricane season!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm Michigan didn't take this seriously and now their infected rate outpaces Washington state.
Our Governor Whitmer is taking it very seriously. Unfortunately MI includes a large dipshit population within its' borders.

I'm taking it seriously. My family is taking it seriously. My contract employer is taking it very seriously. But then, you know...in some small towns Dairy Queen just opened for the year. And it was like 50 degrees yesterday, let's take the kids for Blizzards!

I've read The Yoopers want to close The Bridge.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I heard on NPR today that Florida is the only state in the top 9 in cases (#6) where the governor hasn’t given a shelter-in-place order. Florida is about to blow up bigly.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right, everyone is seems to be picking up on Louisiana and Mississippi as the next hotspots, but Florida and Alabama aren't far behind (if I'm to believe what I'm reading online). Pain.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas

I'm in Denton, coop's in Collin, Captain Caveman is in Dallas, and I don't know the locations specifically, but there's a few more of us in those three, including Fretmute.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seems like Dallas is at least ramping up and taking it seriously.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good news everyone! It seems me and a few others of us around here are completely safe from this bug.

Mexican governor claims poor people are 'immune' from coronavirus
"The majority are wealthy people, you know," he said, answering his own question. "If you're rich you're at risk, but if you're poor, no, well us poor, we are immune."
Dont all you well to do wish you were me right now...no? :) Didn't The Pussycat Dolls sing "Dont'cha wish you were poor like me?"..no again?..Damn.

Im laughing at this next one though......

Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border
Mexican protesters have shut a US southern border crossing amid fears that untested American travellers will spread coronavirus.

Residents in Sonora, south of the US state of Arizona, have promised to block traffic into Mexico for a second day after closing a checkpoint for hours on Wednesday.

They wore face masks and held signs telling Americans to "stay at home".
hahehehe block illegal all Americans!!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 pm I heard on NPR today that Florida is the only state in the top 9 in cases (#6) where the governor hasn’t given a shelter-in-place order. Florida is about to blow up bigly.
I've been saying that since they welcomed Spring Breakers with open arms. This is also a sea-level state that won't talk about global warming, so...par for the course.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump went on Hannity tonight. Some real winners such as we don't need 30-40K ventilators. His source? Feelings. He also said people would be dead all over the place if he hadn't stopped coronavirus.
"I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals, sometimes they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they're saying, 'can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"

"Look, it’s a bad situation," he added. "We haven’t seen anything like it. But the end result is we have to get back to work and I think we can start by opening up certain parts of the country."

The president compared purchasing a ventilator to purchasing a car, calling it "very expensive" and "very intricate."

"And you know they’d say, like Gov. Cuomo and others, they’d say we want 30,000 of them. Thirty thousand?" Trump said. "Think of this, you know you go to hospitals that have one in a hospital and now all of a sudden everyone’s asking for these vast numbers."
When people are dying by the hundreds per day next week they need to play this clip over and over *EVERY TIME* they announce deaths.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

This seems like it should work out well.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's like no one ever needs firefighters, and then all of the sudden there's a huge fire, and everyone's like "we need SO MANY firefighters right now".
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

When are we officially one of Trump's shit hole countries? I kind of feel like we might have a case...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New Orleans is worrisome because they had that little soiree called Mardi Gras recently. Between the folks who live there and everyone else going home its a mess.