Trump vs. Biden - the Final Showdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Trump vs. Biden - the Final Showdown

Post by Grifman »

An excellent analysis as to why Biden is going to win, countering every counter argument:

https://kendallkaut.substack.com/p/why- ... ing-to-win
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's good. I genuinely hope he's on target with his analysis - it's very well laid out. I keep telling myself I have PTSD and am unable to truly evaluate the data.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm An excellent analysis as to why Biden is going to win, countering every counter argument:

Good article, but his rationale against “Trump/courts steal it” feels awfully thin.

That remains my largest fear, by a huge margin
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Grifman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm An excellent analysis as to why Biden is going to win, countering every counter argument:

Good article, but his rationale against “Trump/courts steal it” feels awfully thin.

That remains my largest fear, by a huge margin
It's super thin and I'm really concerned about (post-)election day violence at this point. These people are parading around in convoys, intimidating folks, and the right is pumping them up with fraud is the only way we lose steroids. It really feels like we are on the edge of something here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Republicans of stature have a responsibility to stand up right now against election interference whether official or unofficial.

I know we're supposed to like George W. Bush now for some reason, but he's an absolute coward for hiding behind aloof ex-presidential dignity.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They must be pissed they had to work on a Sunday.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:26 pm That's good. I genuinely hope he's on target with his analysis - it's very well laid out. I keep telling myself I have PTSD and am unable to truly evaluate the data.
Believe me, I have it too! :shock: :shock: :shock:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Everyday a new metaphor.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Low Energy!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:31 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:26 pm That's good. I genuinely hope he's on target with his analysis - it's very well laid out. I keep telling myself I have PTSD and am unable to truly evaluate the data.
Believe me, I have it too! :shock: :shock: :shock:
In the past two days I've had two Zoom sessions with friends and family, and all agree that our anxiety is off the charts. One of us will be watching election returns alone on Tuesday night, and we set up a telephone lifeline for her in case things go south. Sometimes misery needs company.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:56 pm Republicans of stature have a responsibility to stand up right now against election interference whether official or unofficial.

I know we're supposed to like George W. Bush now for some reason, but he's an absolute coward for hiding behind aloof ex-presidential dignity.
He's PAINTING, dammit! Leave him alone!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 pm
He's using a bullhorn as his dog whistle now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Biden maintains lead in Penn, but it has shrunk a bit:

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... pa_110220/
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Latest Economist forecast:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, but what are the projected totals at midnight on Tuesday?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Woah. Fivethirtyeight now has Biden "clearly favored to win the election", with the odds now 90% to 9%
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Defiant wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am Woah. Fivethirtyeight now has Biden "clearly favored to win the election", with the odds now 90% to 9%
I know this is different than when it was Trump vs Hillary, and I have hope, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Other biggy in my State is Jones vs Turberville for Senate. I hope there are enough intelligent folks in this state that sees how well Jones has done even if he is a democrat. Turberville is a huge idiot who knows nothing about politics, policies, laws, etc. But idiots tend to outnumber the intelligent people in this state. I always said Satan would win in this state if he was republican but I had a little hope when Doug Jones beat Roy Moore last time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 am Yeah, but what are the projected totals at midnight on Tuesday?
I know PA will not reflect the accurate totals at midnight since they won't start counting early votes until the next day. Do we know which swing states are similar? I know Florida should have all the early votes tallied the day of, so I think we should at least have a decent idea about its winner.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

NC should also have early votes counted on Election Day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Election results timing, courtesy of 538.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am Woah. Fivethirtyeight now has Biden "clearly favored to win the election", with the odds now 90% to 9%
To be clear that's a move from 89% to 90% over the past couple days, but 90% is the threshold for "clearly favored". They also have one last model run due tonight at midnight, which could swing things a point or two in either direction.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW this is my current expectation for the final map in light of polls.

Enlarge Image

It's a little conservative for Biden relative to polling (he's currently favored in FL and GA as well, has decent shots at TX and IA), but I tend to assume that those states will be close enough that voting shenanigans may well swing things towards Trump.

We'll see, though!
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's still possible that all of our anxiety will have been for nothing and that this will go down like the clear win it looks to be. We might even know that before midnight.

If Trump loses Florida, he has no real path (barring an nearly impossible polling error in the upper Midwest). He could win PA/AZ/NC/IA/OH and still lose without Florida.

It's the same story for NC. Trump could win FL/PA/AZ/IA/OH and still lose without NC.

In fact it's the same story for AZ. Trump with FL/PA/NC/IA/OH but no AZ still gets Biden to 270.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:03 am
To be clear that's a move from 89% to 90% over the past couple days, but 90% is the threshold for "clearly favored". They also have one last model run due tonight at midnight, which could swing things a point or two in either direction.
It was 90% several times in the last day or so, and this is the first time I've seen "clearly" being added. I think it has to do with Trump dropping down to 9% (maybe it's got to be over 90%, and so 90-9 is the equivalent of 90.5%
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:09 am It's still possible that all of our anxiety will have been for nothing and that this will go down like the clear win it looks to be. We might even know that before midnight.
Oh, how wonderful that would be for my stress level.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was lied to! But still with 80% in on election night in NC I'm hoping we'll have a pretty good idea where the race stands.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think Trump will win Florida. The early voting is pretty evenly split between Dems and Repubs. And while you can't necessarily take that to mean much, I would still feel much more comfortable if Dems had a solid lead in that voting like they do in PA.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:11 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:03 am
It was 90% several times in the last day or so, and this is the first time I've seen "clearly" being added. I think it has to do with Trump dropping down to 9% (maybe it's got to be over 90%, and so 90-9 is the equivalent of 90.5%
The top number obscures fraction of percentages, so possible that it was at 89.9% or something before.

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There are some disaster scenarios for Trump that result from relying heavily on election day turnout. Basically that Trump winds up getting weak turnout tomorrow due to a mix of COVID spikes + election day disruptions (ironically, probably heavily from Trump supporters) + Trump supporters thinking that he's doomed anyway.

We'll see, though. Everyone (who doesn't support Trump) needs to get out and vote.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:09 am It's still possible that all of our anxiety will have been for nothing and that this will go down like the clear win it looks to be. We might even know that before midnight.

If Trump loses Florida, he has no real path (barring an nearly impossible polling error in the upper Midwest). He could win PA/AZ/NC/IA/OH and still lose without Florida.

It's the same story for NC. Trump could win FL/PA/AZ/IA/OH and still lose without NC.

In fact it's the same story for AZ. Trump with FL/PA/NC/IA/OH but no AZ still gets Biden to 270.
If Trump wins all of FL/PA/NC/IA/OH (and GA/TX) and Biden wins AZ (and the Clinton states) that gets us to the super delightful 269-269 tie. BUT Biden can win (270-268) if he wins either NE-2 or ME-2 (and I think he's favored in the former and the latter is a toss up).

Anyway, the upshot for Biden is that he has a lot of fallback plans for if he loses PA. Which also helps if Trumpian shenanigans manage to flip PA, as in a scenario where Biden is getting more votes in PA he should be winning in enough other states to endure PA shenanigans.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:41 am
If Trump wins all of FL/PA/NC/IA/OH (and GA/TX) and Biden wins AZ (and the Clinton states) that gets us to the super delightful 269-269 tie. BUT Biden can win (270-268) if he wins either NE-2 or ME-2 (and I think he's favored in the former and the latter is a toss up).

Anyway, the upshot for Biden is that he has a lot of fallback plans for if he loses PA. Which also helps if Trumpian shenanigans manage to flip PA, as in a scenario where Biden is getting more votes in PA he should be winning in enough other states to endure PA shenanigans.
Yeah, I was assuming a Biden win in NE-2 while Trump holds TX and GA.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:44 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:41 am

Yeah, I was assuming a Biden win in NE-2 while Trump holds TX and GA.
One issue is that if Trump is winning PA / OH / IA, then there's a decent chance that he's winning in NE-2 as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Countdown to election:

1 Day!!!!!!

Trump is reduced to fortifying his bunker and having his minions attack bridges and buses.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior

Post by malchior »

One more dawn, one more day, one day more!*
Well maybe another week until we're definitely sure... :?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I won't breath easy until trump is out of office. Not just when he loses the election but when he is removed and we can begin to cleanse his stench from Democracy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:37 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:10 pm Bernie has been docile these past many months, so I imagine his future role is already determined. I hope the older party relics are given less visible appointments so younger folks have a chance to shine.
My wife just berated two of her cousins in Michigan who said they weren't voting because Bernie got screwed out of the nomination (again). She may have browbeaten them into voting, may not have. We're not sure.
My 14-year-old has decided that he's a communist ("You can't criticize what has never been tried, Dad!"), and he's fond of dumping on Biden/Harris as just more corporate capitalism.

I imagine most Bernie holdouts are somewhere similar.
Has he been reading Drazzil again?
Good lord I hope NO ONE under the age of 18 reads any of my stuff. It's badly written, poorly thought out and unfortunately correct.

I voted nililist it on my ballot and now I'm waiting to see where the rest of my fellow citizens fall. Fun times.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm so glad I was able to just drop off my ballet in a box. I'm hiding the next two days. I would have taken the whole week but I have too much going on with work.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com