Trump vs. Biden - the Final Showdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Trump vs. Biden - the Final Showdown

Post by Paingod »

That's like the KGB finding American spies because the staples on their passports didn't rust out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 am So I don't understand what your point is. Are you Black? Are you pointing out how this choice is effecting you personally?

I'm listening to a lot of Black voices now - reading books, listening to interviews, podcasts - and if so, yours is a minority opinion. The leaders I'm listening to strongly support Biden, are happy with his choice for Vice President, and are continuing to work to make sure they maintain their influence as Biden builds out his team.

Feel free to share some personal stories of how this is effecting you, but just spouting old history which has no bearing on the current situation really isn't moving the conversation forward.
Gosh, you flatter me with your personal interest in me (know that I am very much attached to another, please). Do you want to check my head shape too - so that you can know more about how much my political opinion matters? I'm a US citizen (Trump might not think I'm "Natural Born") who has opinions - I hope that can be enough for you.
Nope, it's not.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:09 am There is a reason all the old southern Democrats are now Republicans.
YEP (including my Dad :cry: )
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I love any opportunity to invoke Kevin Kruse on the realignment of the parties!

Thread:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The Meal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:47 am
Yojimbo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:47 am But Biden and the Democrat Party highlight the hypocrisy of the cancel culture. Biden gets a pass for whatever he says for the "greater good". The Democrat Party has done more to hinder the rights of African Americans than any organization save maybe the kkk - but I bet the klan never had the power that the DNC wields. Up until the 1960s the Democrat Party was openly racist and suppressing reforms. But the Democrat party gets a pass because it has changed! No one in that party today would ever be guilty of acting like a racist - except the most important Leader in the whole organization who (quotes above) says terrible things about African Americans sometimes.

I know that you all don't see this at all. Or you are in "the ends justify the means" mode at this point. With respect to you all and Mr. Takei, I have held my nose and voted for who my party told me to before - it did not help me sleep at night.
You show your tell too openly.
This is the first interesting thing posted in this thread since Yo hijacked it for his "Biden is a racist" crusade. I always pause when I hear "Democrat Party," and it always seems jarring and somewhat ugly. Glad to read it's not just me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I imagine that will mark the end of his replies, or maybe I'm trying to invoke one. /shrug
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I still don’t get why the term is considered offensive as fireball tried to explain (in typical fireball fashion) (“it’s the same as calling a homosexual a ‘faggot’!). I mean, if you twisted it into “Dickocrat party” or something, ok. I’m sure I’ve seen ‘Democraps’ used in snarky comments sections. Obvious slur.

I’m pretty sure I’ve used the term many times before with no nasty intent, nor knowledge that it was somehow offensive to....???? Inside the beltway Democrats and literally no one else?

I’ll agree it ‘sounds’ a little off to my ear, but slur seems to be pushing it IMO. More like a grammatical error.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Saw that on LB’s post. Still don’t get how it implies offense, especially since we actually use the term “Democrat”. No? Nobody else thinks it’s either the most tame slur ever, or the laziest? :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm I’ll agree it ‘sounds’ a little off to my ear, but slur seems to be pushing it IMO. More like a grammatical error.
It's the thought that counts.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:46 pm Saw that on LB’s post. Still don’t get how it implies offense, especially since we actually use the term “Democrat”. No? Nobody else thinks it’s either the most tame slur ever, or the laziest? :)
I know what you are saying here, but I think it ultimately falls on who is saying it.

In this case - it's someone who describes Lt. Col Vindman as: the now infamous Lt. Col Vindman - so draw your own conclusions.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LBJ was willing to pay the price of losing the racist Southerners to the Republican Party over the Civil Rights Act.

But nevermind that bold progressive action by Democrats or Republicans who opwnly embraced racist politics, what is important are 3 misstatements by Biden. :roll:

It should be pretty clear by now that Yojimbo is full of bullshit. Rip and msduncan were more honest purveyors of inane Drudge Dogma.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:01 pm Rip and msduncan were more honest purveyors of inane Drudge Dogma.
That's just nostalgia talking.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm I still don’t get why the term is considered offensive as fireball tried to explain (in typical fireball fashion) Image (“it’s the same as calling a homosexual a ‘faggot’!). I mean, if you twisted it into “Dickocrat party” or something, ok. I’m sure I’ve seen ‘Democraps’ used in snarky comments sections. Obvious slur.

I’m pretty sure I’ve used the term many times before with no nasty intent, nor knowledge that it was somehow offensive to....???? Inside the beltway Democrats and literally no one else?

I’ll agree it ‘sounds’ a little off to my ear, but slur seems to be pushing it IMO. More like a grammatical error.
FWIW I don't think of it as "offensive" or a slur or anything like that. But just that the use of the term "Democrat Party" is a reliable indicator of partisan GOP hackery.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone was wondering:

The top-performing link posts by U.S. Facebook pages in the last 24 hours are from:

1. Fox News
2. Donald J. Trump
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Dan Bongino
5. Blue Lives Matter
6. Fox News
7. Ben Shapiro
8. Sean Hannity
9. Franklin Graham
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah - Facebook is increasingly white old people derp central.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Axios
Mark Zuckerberg told "Axios on HBO" that it's "just wrong" to consider Facebook a right-wing echo chamber, even though conservative voices top the platform's most-engaged content.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's really sickening how Silicon Valley social media companies are censoring conservative voices, isn't it?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nevada
The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority has advised the company that leases the hangar where President Donald Trump had planned to hold a campaign rally on Saturday that the event is in violation of a state directive limiting gatherings to 50 people and that it cannot proceed.

Tina Iftiger, senior vice president and chief commercial officer for the airport authority, in a letter to Hangar 9, LLC on Tuesday said that the company’s decision to enter into a contract to use the hangar for a 5,000 person rally violates Gov. Steve Sisolak’s emergency directive on public gatherings. The company’s lease of the hangar requires the company to “comply with all applicable state laws and directives,” Iftiger wrote.
Trump had planned to hold two rallies in Nevada this weekend, one at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport on Saturday afternoon and another at Cirrus Aviation at McCarran International Airport on Sunday evening. The Trump campaign has been holding large rallies at airports amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Chris Jones, spokesman for McCarran, said Wednesday that the airport was never contacted by Cirrus for permission to hold the rally. All hangar leases require that non-aviation events be approved by the airport. Representatives from Cirrus did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm I still don’t get why the term is considered offensive as fireball tried to explain (in typical fireball fashion) Image (“it’s the same as calling a homosexual a ‘faggot’!). I mean, if you twisted it into “Dickocrat party” or something, ok. I’m sure I’ve seen ‘Democraps’ used in snarky comments sections. Obvious slur.

I wouldn't say it's equivalent to "faggot" - you can't honestly accidentally use that phrase as it's crystal clear what it means. I would say it's more along the lines of using the word "Jew", a noun, as an adjective ("Jew holiday") instead of "Jewish" ("Jewish holiday"). While people can honestly accidentally say it, it's mostly intended as a slur and I'll generally assume the person intended it as such.

That said, I wouldn't put it quite on the same level (Slimy political attacks aren't on the same level as attacks based on sexual orientation, religion, race, etc).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:01 am I would say it's more along the lines of using the word "Jew", a noun, as an adjective ("Jew holiday") instead of "Jewish" ("Jewish holiday"). While people can honestly accidentally say it, it's mostly intended as a slur and I'll generally assume the person intended it as such.

That said, I wouldn't put it quite on the same level (Slimy political attacks aren't on the same level as attacks based on sexual orientation, religion, race, etc).
I think this basically nails it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, damn. I don't think I ever cared if there was an "ic" on the end of "Democrat" before. Didn't notice if it wasn't there, didn't care one way or another. Anytime I see "Politician Name (D)", I'm pretty sure I've mentally translated that as "Democrat", and I've probably even been guilty of saying "Democrat" myself. I certainly don't hold any disdain for the party and I identify more blue than red philosophically. I never knew it was a put-down and assumed it was short-hand.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You can say that someone is a Democrat.
Pretty sure it's OK to say that the Democrats won the election.

It's just "Democratic Party" or "Democratic political agenda" , etc that shouldn't be said as 'Democrat.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:34 pm FWIW I don't think of it as "offensive" or a slur or anything like that. But just that the use of the term "Democrat Party" is a reliable indicator of partisan GOP hackery.
Most of the time, this is how I hear it.
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:01 pm Yeah - Facebook is increasingly white old people derp central.
I'm old and white with a majority of my friends being old and white and I had to leave that space because of derp within my friends (and not just from the right though posts from the right tended toward more even more reckless abandon derp). It wasn't of overwhelming in terms of the amount of my friends but it was in terms of the how much wall filled with that crap, no matter how much I culled it. TheFederalist and OccupyDemocrats will be burned in my memory forever as bile inducing and right or wrong reason enough for me to ignore every political opinion or insight you ever express again.

I'm kinda glad the Zuckerberg's statement on fact checking was the last straw to drive me out. I miss many of the people there, especially while in 6 months of isolation, but I also didn't have it in me to tell off some people who really needed telling off... Though some of my OO friends were happy to pick up the mantle for me in my final days, a bit less polite but not crossing the line before I signed off at least through the election season. (They know who they are. :) ) But whatever, I'm sure he doesn't miss me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I find this discussion fascinating. I can't remember ever seeing the phrase "Democrat Party" - or if I have, I've completely glossed over it.

It seems "liberal" is a much more common "slur" even though it shouldn't be. Just goes to show how effective the "Republic Party" is at twisting absolutly anything into an insult
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 amIt seems "liberal" is a much more common "slur" even though it shouldn't be.
The way I typically determine if a word is being used as a slur is if I can imagine the person saying it spitting just after saying it, as a form of punctuation. Anytime I hear "Liberal" from most Republicans, I can easily imagine that. I don't imagine it, though, when I think of one Democrat talking with another.

(I used it right there, I hope... :) )
Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Apropos to the recent conversation here:

Spoiler:
The last two frames of a new Trump digital ad certainly send a message
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazing. If only we could somehow decode that hidden message.

I am kind of curious to see how things unfold in the coming weeks with this "showdown" as the mail in voting options have likely changed everything. Not that it matters in NJ, but we can start submitting mail ballots sometime after 9/19 (depending on when USPS can get them delivered to us). That's a long time until election day and I'd think it effectively removes the October surprise and/or this year's Comey letter (whatever it will be). It looks like early voting is still all over the place and I'm not sure realistically then how much can change as we inch closer.

Again, I'm genuinely of the mind that undecided voters at this point don't care, likely because they've not experienced anything over the last 4 years (even now) that bothers them.

November needs to get here. Soon.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm just happy that NC mail-in voting has started already. As an extremely close swing state, I feel a little more at ease knowing we have a huge head start. Early voting is also very prevalent and easy to access around here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump is so calming. I'm not sensing an urge to panic anyone...

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 am Amazing. If only we could somehow decode that hidden message.

I am kind of curious to see how things unfold in the coming weeks with this "showdown" as the mail in voting options have likely changed everything. Not that it matters in NJ, but we can start submitting mail ballots sometime after 9/19 (depending on when USPS can get them delivered to us). That's a long time until election day and I'd think it effectively removes the October surprise and/or this year's Comey letter (whatever it will be). It looks like early voting is still all over the place and I'm not sure realistically then how much can change as we inch closer.
Always the cynic, I don't see all those early mail-ins as votes in the bag as much as votes at high risk of being lost/delayed/disputed.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 amAlways the cynic, I don't see all those early mail is as votes in the bag as much as votes at high risk of being lost/delayed/disputed.
Well, I'd hope other states have systems to track your ballot (like NJ revealed earlier this week), so that should help. While they can't publicly reveal tallies, I do hope there is frequent reporting of how many ballots have been received and processed - mainly because I know that will make Emperor Tiny Hands so very angry.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 am Amazing. If only we could somehow decode that hidden message.

Always the cynic, I don't see all those early mail is as votes in the bag as much as votes at high risk of being lost/delayed/disputed.
This is my concern too

I’m starting to fear this is the one year where in person voting may end up being critically important in some places.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:04 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 amAlways the cynic, I don't see all those early mail is as votes in the bag as much as votes at high risk of being lost/delayed/disputed.
Well, I'd hope other states have systems to track your ballot (like NJ revealed earlier this week), so that should help. While they can't publicly reveal tallies, I do hope there is frequent reporting of how many ballots have been received and processed - mainly because I know that will make Emperor Tiny Hands so very angry.
That's good to hear but we'll see how it actual performs. Also:
Those visiting the site will need a driver’s license number, state ID number or social security number to register to vote.

Also, also, going online to track a paper ballot...why don't we just have online voting? We have the blockchain.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Always the cynic, I don't see all those early mail is as votes in the bag as much as votes at high risk of being lost/delayed/disputed.
This is my concern too

I’m starting to fear this is the one year where in person voting may end up being critically important in some places.
The trick is that there's some risk in any form of voting. Even where there's mail in voting and early voting I fully expect that there will be hellacious lines for in-person day of voting in a lot of places (especially since GOP and Trump folks will probably be trying to create long lines in key places), and long lines will effectively prevent some people who want to vote from doing so.

I think Democrats should encourage in person early voting as the best option where available and practical, but where it's not it still may be better for people to do mail in voting if they can get their ballots in well in advance of voting day, rather than depending on being able to vote in person day of.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Always the cynic, I don't see all those early mail-ins as votes in the bag as much as votes at high risk of being lost/delayed/disputed.
Same, which is why I am definitely voting in person (as I always have). I don't care if the line is 4 hours, 8 hours, or 2 days. I'm voting, dammit.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Amen brother.

Though we're going to have two weeks of early voting and 3-4 polling places to choose from, so I can't imagine I won't be able to find a sparsely crowded day to hit it.

I have to vote in person for my peace of mind. With all the mail shenanigans going on I just need to push the button myself for my own sanity. And God help any Trump do-gooder who tries to stand in my way.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW in NJ the county board of elections sent my wife and I letters saying our ballots were received and counted (from the primary). This was not something I've gotten in the past. They seem to be recognizing the craziness and I'll weigh voting in person versus that standard of care. The case for voting in person is that the polling place is walking distance from my house at a Catholic church's rec center. It's a big wide open space and I've never seen a line there in 10 years.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:29 pm The case for voting in person is that the polling place is walking distance from my house at a Catholic church's rec center. It's a big wide open space and I've never seen a line there in 10 years.
You're not able to vote in person in NJ any more? Have you stopped following all your hardcore GOP NJ resident friends? We're sliding in a dictatorship here in NJ - haven't you heard? Very limited in person voting. I would expect anyone trying to do so in person is going to be waiting.