What should the Biden campaign slogan be?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: What should the Biden campaign slogan be?

Post by Defiant »

"Biden - he'll use bleach to disinfect the white house, not your lungs."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still not sure, you can show support for the campaign in Animal Crossing. Kinda cool - and a rare political / gaming crossover.
Starting today, September 1st, Animal Crossing: New Horizons players will be able to deck out their island homes with official Joe Biden yard signs as part of the campaign’s broader initiative to organize voters online this fall.

Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak in the US earlier this year, campaigns like Biden’s have been forced to entirely rethink how they organize voters. Instead of in-person rallies, Biden’s team has opted for live-streamed events and fundraisers along with socially distanced productions and interviews. The entire Democratic National Convention was held virtually earlier this month, with most guests streaming in over video software like Zoom to deliver speeches.

The Biden-Harris campaign released four sign designs for players to download, featuring the official Biden-Harris logo, Team Joe logo, the “Joe” Pride logo, and an image of aviator sunglasses shaded in red, white, and blue. Players will be able to access the designs in-game by scanning the design QR codes through the Nintendo Switch Online app.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Definitely better than Pokemon-go-to-the-polls.
Carpet_pissr

What should the Biden campaign slogan be?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

MAAGAWTIW- Make America As Great As We Thought It Was

Had a better acronym earlier but slipped my mind.

I also fully support using straight up MAGA to troll Trump(‘s lawyers).

Expounding further, I see primarily three possible paths forward for the country:

1. Trump wins. We’re fucked. If outright authoritarianism is not in place after another 4 years, it’s likely as close as you can get. Or the exec branch now has so much outsized power compared to the other 2 that it completely breaks our more fragile than I thought democracy.

2. Biden wins. Enough people vote for a return to boring normalcy and peace. A return to EXACTLY what we had before. That includes a return to the systemic racism our country was built on and continued to function on. It includes the massive and growing bigger divide between extreme wealth and everyone else. Etc. There’s a grumbling demographic of R’s (now T’s) but at least the country is back to “business as usual”.

3. Biden wins. The House and Senate both go extreme blue, and new blood is ready and eager to enact real change and to try and figure out how to start to fix our broken country. Substantive committees with real budgets and great minds are formed to grapple with our problem with racism, wealth inequality, healthcare and climate issues.

Do I see potential for variations on those themes? Sure, but I bet historians in 50 years can look back and easily pick one of those three paths.

Which one seems most likely to you? (Rhetorical). Personally, I’m sad to say only one of those outcomes sounds very likely to me, and very much in keeping with past behavior. The other two are a bit extreme, maybe, but then again we’re living in extreme times (for US - Venezuela’s over there with Somalia, Lebanon and Iraq saying “Psssh! Hold my beer, pussies!”)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm Which one seems most likely to you? (Rhetorical). Personally, I’m sad to say only one of those outcomes sounds very likely to me, and very much in keeping with past behavior. The other two are a bit extreme, maybe, but then again we’re living in extreme times (for US).
The best of reasonably possible scenarios is that Biden wins and the Dems hold the House and take the Senate by two or even three seats. Even so, some of those Democratic senators will be relatively conservative, so there's no chance at all of the Senate going "extreme blue." We're not going to become a Social Democracy any decade soon.

In normal times, the work of the Biden administration from day one would be restoring US relationships around the globe, turning norms into actual laws, and rolling back the reckless damage of the Trump administration (gutted regulations, blinded oversight, etc).

Unfortunately, Biden will have to do this under the conditions of a raging pandemic and a collapsed economy. And by day two the remaining Republicans will be calling for his head with all the force of right-wing media, QAnon insanity, and emboldened armed "patriot militias" behind them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm Which one seems most likely to you? (Rhetorical). Personally, I’m sad to say only one of those outcomes sounds very likely to me, and very much in keeping with past behavior. The other two are a bit extreme, maybe, but then again we’re living in extreme times (for US - Venezuela’s over there with Somalia, Lebanon and Iraq saying “Psssh! Hold my beer, pussies!”)
Probably trump wins. It feels like we're living through the endgame of a dying empire. We follow the USSR into the dustbin and end up as a Russian-style oligarchy.

If Biden wins, he'll try to restore the status quo ante, but that world's gone and not coming back. At best, we stave off disaster and mark time for four years while the fascists regroup.

Best-case scenario is we enter a new Progressive Era like the one that followed the last Gilded Age, but seeing a path from here to there requires more optimism than I can muster.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:55 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm Which one seems most likely to you? (Rhetorical). Personally, I’m sad to say only one of those outcomes sounds very likely to me, and very much in keeping with past behavior. The other two are a bit extreme, maybe, but then again we’re living in extreme times (for US - Venezuela’s over there with Somalia, Lebanon and Iraq saying “Psssh! Hold my beer, pussies!”)
Probably trump wins. It feels like we're living through the endgame of a dying empire. We follow the USSR into the dustbin and end up as a Russian-style oligarchy.

If Biden wins, he'll try to restore the status quo ante, but that world's gone and not coming back. At best, we stave off disaster and mark time for four years while the fascists regroup.

Best-case scenario is we enter a new Progressive Era like the one that followed the last Gilded Age, but seeing a path from here to there requires more optimism than I can muster.
Yuuuuuuuup!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My betting odds would be that Biden prevails after a messy and contentious election. He goes great lengths restoring the country back to Obama-era levels and repairing our standing on the world stage.

Then in 2024, the country is violently ripped back to the extreme right again, undoing all of those gains.

Trump destroyed 8 years of Obama's legacy in only 4 years. Every Democratic President will spend their entire term repairing the destruction of the previous Republican President. In other words, real progressive reform in a short period of time is a pipe dream. We'll inch forward slowly through natural generational change, but it will be constantly hindered by presidents who care more about themselves than the country.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The very instant the WH (hopefully) changes hands, the usual suspects - all of whom who sat utterly silent throughout Trump’s pillaging and looting - will suddenly become extremely concerned about “Biden’s massive federal deficit” and “Biden’s lack of response to COVID” and “Biden’s racial tensions”, etc, etc. The howling from the Limbaugh’s, Hannity, and Ingrams of the world about why Biden hasn’t solved every issue within 48 hours will be deafening.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 am The very instant the WH (hopefully) changes hands, the usual suspects - all of whom who sat utterly silent throughout Trump’s pillaging and looting - will suddenly become extremely concerned about “Biden’s massive federal deficit” and “Biden’s lack of response to COVID” and “Biden’s racial tensions”, etc, etc. The howling from the Limbaugh’s, Hannity, and Ingrams of the world about why Biden hasn’t solved every issue within 48 hours will be deafening.
So business as usual.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 am My betting odds would be that Biden prevails after a messy and contentious election. He goes great lengths restoring the country back to Obama-era levels and repairing our standing on the world stage.

Then in 2024, the country is violently ripped back to the extreme right again, undoing all of those gains.

Trump destroyed 8 years of Obama's legacy in only 4 years. Every Democratic President will spend their entire term repairing the destruction of the previous Republican President. In other words, real progressive reform in a short period of time is a pipe dream. We'll inch forward slowly through natural generational change, but it will be constantly hindered by presidents who care more about themselves than the country.
The big advantage that McConnell and the GOP have is that our system allows them to exercise minority rule, to have real power while getting materially less votes. So if Biden wins and the Democrats retake the Senate, the top priority for the first two years has to be reforming the system as much as possible to make it more majority rules.

Then Republicans would have to appeal to, well, the majority of people.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If Biden wins, the first thing he should do is go on a 6 month golf vacation.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 pm If Biden wins, the first thing he should do is go on a 6 month golf vacation.
Then don a tan suit and pardon Sacco and Vanzetti.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:35 am
YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 am My betting odds would be that Biden prevails after a messy and contentious election. He goes great lengths restoring the country back to Obama-era levels and repairing our standing on the world stage.

The big advantage that McConnell and the GOP have is that our system allows them to exercise minority rule, to have real power while getting materially less votes. So if Biden wins and the Democrats retake the Senate, the top priority for the first two years has to be reforming the system as much as possible to make it more majority rules.

Then Republicans would have to appeal to, well, the majority of people.
+100 this

it turns out the Tyranny of the Minority is just as horrible.