Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Police Reform in America

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Police Reform in America

Post by malchior »

I really dislike that DAs are elected in so many places. It is one of the drivers of the incredibly bad behavior they enable.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm Paxton has his own problems not related to the election.
Sure, but if that video is to be believed, McMahon has problems not related to reelection as well. :(
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

NYPD is out there winning hearts and minds.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buzzfeed
A New York police officer was suspended Sunday after he was caught on video repeatedly saying "Trump 2020" on his patrol car's loudspeaker while on duty in a Brooklyn neighborhood.

The New York Police Department (NYPD) did not identify the officer but said that he had been suspended without pay.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is insane. Training materials used by the Kentucky State Police quoted from Adolf Hitler and sought to develop a “killer” mentality in troopers:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is an extreme example but this illustrates a fundamental difference between warrior and guardian paradigms for training officers.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another edition of 'Pull out that fainting couch'...

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm hearing that there will be a huge wave of retirements in Chicago. Like 3x or more the usual. This means either a manpower shortage or mass hiring of very underqualfied, inexperienced new cops. And they always get stuck on the worst beats.

Also had some social time with a young cop in my district. He's oving to California and said I know a lot of other non-retiring coppers who are seriously considering something similar.

Also, also, have been talking with the alderman and some park district people on an unrelated issue and they explained how a neighboring alderman instructed CPD not to patrol a certain area because the residents "don't like to see cops driving around." Surprise, it's a high crime area and the location of 2 well known drug houses.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:23 pm I'm hearing that there will be a huge wave of retirements in Chicago. Like 3x or more the usual. This means either a manpower shortage or mass hiring of very underqualfied, inexperienced new cops. And they always get stuck on the worst beats.

Also had some social time with a young cop in my district. He's oving to California and said I know a lot of other non-retiring coppers who are seriously considering something similar.

Also, also, have been talking with the alderman and some park district people on an unrelated issue and they explained how a neighboring alderman instructed CPD not to patrol a certain area because the residents "don't like to see cops driving around." Surprise, it's a high crime area and the location of 2 well known drug houses.
This is the other side of the coin. The NY Times article covers a little of this 'under siege' mentality. The police naturally dispute the report. Still there is a lot of documentation of them out of control. In the end, the cultures of these departments are toxic and poisonous. But we need to fix them. Throw this on the pile of messes we have to deal with. It really feels bottomless.

This also managed to find a new way to make me loathe DeBlasio. He pretty much said 'I fucked this up' but it's a weak ass apology. He knew what was going on. Everything in this report was widely reported. He was too much of a coward to face off against the police.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Rusten Sheskey will not face charges in the shooting of Jacob Blake, Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley announced Tuesday.

Sheskey, a White officer, shot Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, seven times in the back while responding to a domestic incident on August 23, 2020. Blake survived the shooting but was left paralyzed from the waist down.
Ahead of the decision, Kenosha officials prepared for potential unrest, with the City Council granting Mayor John Antaramian emergency powers once the announcement is made.

Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers also announced Monday he is mobilizing 500 National Guard troops ahead of the decision at the request of local officials.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be too surprised either way, honestly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT