Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Grifman »

Lin Wood is about the most stupid lawyer I’ve seen. He just posted a video on Twitter of the hearing after the judge explicitly ordered no videos be taken. He’s toast - can’t wait for the judge to hear about this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm Lin Wood is about the most stupid lawyer I’ve seen. He just posted a video on Twitter of the hearing after the judge explicitly ordered no videos be taken. He’s toast - can’t wait for the judge to hear about this.
Lin Wood is banned from Twitter, so he can't post video there himself.

Maybe you meant Telegram?
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm Lin Wood is about the most stupid lawyer I’ve seen.
He's literally insane and claims that God talks to him directly.

Even before his involvement with politics, his law partners sued to have him removed from their firm because they believed him to have become mentally unstable.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm
Grifman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm Lin Wood is about the most stupid lawyer I’ve seen. He just posted a video on Twitter of the hearing after the judge explicitly ordered no videos be taken. He’s toast - can’t wait for the judge to hear about this.

It was Telegram. In any case, Lin Wood is really dumb. He is trying to say he wasn't involved. FWIW Powell said he wasn't as well. Which is interesting since he ran around trumpeting his involvement. Just a grifting POS.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Ok, on some other social media - he also just took it down. 😁
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:39 pm I feel like Kraken here should probably sue the Kraken lawyers for the damage that they're causing to his reputation.
I am taking care of them. :ninja:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GOP rep requests vote audit of the 2020 election.

Difficulty: In Oklahoma

Oklahoma Rep. Sean Roberts (R-Hominy) suggests Oklahomans can't trust the results of last year's election here, calls for audit. Defeated incumbent Donald Trump carried all 77 counties in 2020, just as he did in 2016.
Grift? Or just more seeds being planted in the “elections can never be trusted unless the GOP wins everything” field? Or both?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They're saying the quiet part out loud again
Toth introduced a bill called the “Texas Voter Confidence Act” which is designed to authorize the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Speaker of the House to “select an independent third party to conduct the election audit,” according to a statement. “The forensic audit would focus on the votes cast in the 13 most populous counties in Texas, which include both Republican and Democrat strongholds."

But while Toth said he would support a statewide effort, he also argued the undertaking would be too expensive and time-consuming. Asked if he would consider including some smaller counties, Toth replied, “What’s the point? I mean, all the small counties are red.”
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Great thread. Sure, stretching things on a few, but well-played...

malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump demanded routers and by God the GOP in the Arizona Senate are going to get them. Might as well ask for a pipe to inspect the water that ran through it but they're the experts!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Scott Wong
@scottwongDC

On same day as first Jan. 6 committee hearing, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar and Marjorie Taylor Greene will hold a press conference outside the Justice Dept. on the "treatment of Jan. 6th prisoners"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Can a state senate command anything it wants from a county? Isn't that government overreach? If I learned anything during the Trump admin, it's that subpoenas don't really mean anything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump to DOJ last December: 'Just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me'

The notes are the latest evidence of Trump's efforts to pressure the Justice Department to try to support his false claims of election fraud.
Former President Donald Trump pressured his incoming acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen to declare that the election was corrupt in an attempt to help Republican members of Congress try to overturn the election result, according to notes of a December 2020 call Trump held with Rosen and acting deputy attorney general Richard Donoghue.

Donoghue provided the House Oversight Committee with his contemporaneous notes from the December 27 call Trump held with Rosen and Donoghue, who took over the top spots at DOJ in the final weeks of Trump's presidency following the resignation of Attorney General William Barr.

During the call, Trump pressured Rosen and Donoghue to falsely declare the election "illegal" and "corrupt" even after the Justice Department had not uncovered evidence of widespread voter fraud.

"Just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen," Trump said on the call, according to Donoghue's notes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a real, actual letter responding to a subpoena.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I enjoy the letter, but do they have any legal grounds to reject compliance with most of the subpoena, bonkers though the premise of the audit is?

This is also part of how Republicans continue to erode our political and legal systems. If the County complies, they get fuel for more audit nonsense. If they don't, then they have "what are they hiding???" takes ready to go, and they get to point to this to help them refuse actual serious subpoenas in the future.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I actually didn't like the letter. Not for what it says but what it means. That is is necessary just piles on more evidence that as pointed out this is part of the undermining of our democracy. The tone is exactly right for that reason. No matter what they do we all lose. I'm not too worried about precedent because I think we're on the edge if not beyond that mattering anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm I actually didn't like the letter. Not for what it says but what it means. That is is necessary just piles on more evidence that as pointed out this is part of the undermining of our democracy. The tone is exactly right for that reason. No matter what they do we all lose. I'm not too worried about precedent because I think we're on the edge if not beyond that mattering anyway.
Yeah, I'm on the same page I think. It's an appropriate response to the state GOP nonsense, but that we're at this point is very bad in a "late Roman republic" way.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah especially since it is looking like this is a strategy to end our democracy. The New Yorker and Washington Post have some good pieces digging into this plan. Surprise! It is being funded by ultrawealthy conservatives.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm I'm not too worried about precedent because I think we're on the edge if not beyond that mattering anyway.
I think if the media in general and the population to a lesser extent had been on the same page with that sentiment, MUCH earlier, we would be in a better position now. We spent 4+ years so got damned concerned about OMG THIS HAS NEVER(!) HAPPENED BEFORE!!!! that The Crazy (and The Evil) spread out of control without being checked.

It seems that almost all the energy was spent on the questions:
IS THIS REALLY NEW OR DIFFERENT?
HOW?
ARE WE SURE? LET'S DEEP DIVE ON HISTORICAL SIMILARITIES BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO BE ALARMISTS.
HOW DID WE GET HERE?
ARE WE SURE? (again)
WHY?
OK, OK, it does SEEM DIFFERENT, but let's keep our collective, objective news heads here, and compare to the OTHER side, which is probably ALSO doing unprecedented THINGS. Let's explore that!

And that's for the minority who were paying attention to politics. The vast majority don't care, don't want to hear about it, and/or don't have/make the time to invest in reading. Both ends of spectrum: either they are too busy working to put food on the table...or too well off to be bothered (why, since their current life is so easy, going well?)

Maddening to watch and read. I chalk a lot of it up to nationalistic hubris (to some large degree, justifiable, I think), that something like what is happening could ever happen here. We're Special, after all! While in reality, humans that live and vote and "lead" in the USA are just like humans elsewhere on the planet (both present and past) with failed or failing democracies/states. The almost hardwired idea in Americans that we can do ANYthing, that we are invulnerable, that we are SO much better than every other country (and its political systems), inherently, will IMO be our downfall.

Train heading for us?! Impossible! Unthinkable!
Wait, IS that train heading for us? Kinda looks like it, now! Nah, mirage.
Dang...that train is CLOSE! And it's swerving and shit?! How does a train swerve?! Crazy train. Well, crazy train or no, we are Superman, and no Crazy Train can hurt us.
(Crazy Train, going 600 MPH, hits a pebble on the track, which rockets towards us at 1200 MPH and dings us in the kneecap) OW!!! WTF?!?! .... (slowly considers implication): OH SHIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! RUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!1
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is a great article and timeline on all of Trump’s attempts to overturn the election with a special focus on Mark Meadow’s role:

https://www.justsecurity.org/77681/mark ... -election/

And while I can’t stand Bill Barr, I loved reading about his direct response to Trump and his claims of election fraud when they met. Also of note is General Miley’s warning of a “hard line” drawn by the military. That was very surprising.

Overall, the best summary of events I’ve seen.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I predict Mike will be homeless and back on crack within 16 months.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lindell's 72-hour Big Lie marathon is ending its day one. He claims that he'll be going the distance unless they're "shut down" by [unspecified Deep State enemies].

I wish I had more popcorn.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

CNN gets the information through reporting and carefully cultivated contacts, rather than the internet. Their faulty reasoning shows the flawed thinking. :grund:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

I watched that clip to the part where they talked about Dominion machines are commercial off the shelf (COTS) machines that are just 'commercial machines' and 'aren't defensible' against hacks. None of that means anything to anyone who knows the subject matter (ahem). It is sounding smart but just being wrong in the details.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile. WTF. Bannon and Lindell sure sound like they are trying to start a civil uprising.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hasn't Bannon always been pushing for an uprising? I thought he was clear about that. He was Darth Vader, leading the dark... and was going to usher in trillions in infrastructure spending after Trumps gets elected in 2016...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When you have one party that's opening telegraphing their intent to manipulate elections to get the results they need to regain power...how is this not a red alarm for America?

An ugly truth: Republicans can win back power while speaking almost exclusively to their alternate information universe, and withdrawing from the conversation about some of our deepest challenges. How? By taking the House via gerrymanders alone. My latest:

Republicans themselves openly *boast* that they can win the House via extreme gerrymanders.

Rep Ronny Jackson of Texas recently said GOP control of redistricting "alone should get us the majority back.”

Studies back this up:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was it a shit show?

It was a shit show.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"You guys need to start reporting this and stop fact checking it!"

The source of our downward spiral in a nutshell.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have to say, part of me really thinks Lindell is mentally unstable and should get help. I have this sneaking suspicion that we’re going to be reading about his suicide in the not too distant future.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am I have this sneaking suspicion that we’re going to be reading about his suicide murder by ANTIFA thugs in the not too distant future.
FTFY.

ANIFA is after him for daring to expose the truth…and they’re everywhere.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:38 am
hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am I have this sneaking suspicion that we’re going to be reading about his suicide murder by ANTIFA thugs in the not too distant future.
FTFY.

ANIFA is after him for daring to expose the truth…and they’re everywhere.
I hope he doesn't commit suicide for my own moral reasons, but I could totally see him doing it, and writing a note saying it was actually ANTIFA.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am I have to say, part of me really thinks Lindell is mentally unstable and should get help. I have this sneaking suspicion that we’re going to be reading about his suicide in the not too distant future.
He's a recovered crack addict and committed conspiracy theorist. His grip on the terms of reality are pretty tenuous. You can see it in the video above.

He probably believes everything he says, but he's being manipulated by Steve Bannon, whoever runs QAnon, and who-knows-whoever-else.

If he'd lived in the 16th century, he'd be a footnote about a madman who set himself on fire in order to declare that Queen Elizabeth was a servant of the Devil.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A lot of these folks are mentally unstable, and unfortunately the Republican Party is more than willing to exploit their illness for personal gain.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:35 pm A lot of these folks are mentally unstable, and unfortunately the Republican Party is more than willing to exploit their illness for personal gain.
But it’s hard to differentiate (if that even matters) since we’ve seen more than a few reliable sources say that so many of these guys who seem over-the-top evil, politically, are really cool guys and very reasonable when not in front of a camera/podium/journalist. Many of the worst actors are just that, apparently.

It’s all a show, they don’t really believe the stupid/terrible things they are saying. Obviously some do, but say a

Lindsey Graham, for example, he’s totally the type that sees Politician X acting bat shit crazy, and the media trips over themselves trying to cover him. Poor Lindsey wants attention, too! So off he goes, says or does something typically out of character, chasing relevancy (he almost literally said this at some point in the past year or so).

It explains so many ‘WTF!?’ comments, and erratic, contradictory behavior, that I believe it’s pretty common, currently. We are living in the age of ‘The Crazy’, politically.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:19 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am I have to say, part of me really thinks Lindell is mentally unstable and should get help. I have this sneaking suspicion that we’re going to be reading about his suicide in the not too distant future.
He's a recovered crack addict and committed conspiracy theorist. His grip on the terms of reality are pretty tenuous. You can see it in the video above.

He probably believes everything he says, but he's being manipulated by Steve Bannon, whoever runs QAnon, and who-knows-whoever-else.

If he'd lived in the 16th century, he'd be a footnote about a madman who set himself on fire in order to declare that Queen Elizabeth was a servant of the Devil.
Recovered? I'd be shocked if he weren't doing mountains of crack or rivers of blow currently.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Recovered? I'd be shocked if he weren't doing mountains of crack or rivers of blow currently.
Oh, I've known recovered drug addicts. If I have any intuition, Lindell has replaced crack with Jesus and replaced Jesus with Trump.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:38 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Oh, I've known recovered drug addicts. If I have any intuition, Lindell has replaced crack with Jesus and replaced Jesus with Trump.
One thing that I learned from my own brush with addiction is that there is no "recovered" addict. Just an addict who through his or her own treatment and determination happens to be sober. The addiction is still there, still ready to take over again.

My admittedly fleeting observations of the man is that it seems to me that there's no way that he isn't using again. Just look at his behavior.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
malchior

Post by malchior »