Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't forget Boogaloo if there's any hint of a contested election from Trump camp.

For example, just a few hours after allegedly shooting up the precinct, Hunter messaged an associate in California, Steven Carrillo.

“Boog,” Hunter wrote.

“Did,” Carrillo responded.

“Go for police buildings,” Hunter advised.

“I did better lol,” Carrillo answered. Indeed, shortly before that exchange, according to authorities, Carrillo had shot and killed a Federal Protective Service officer, David Patrick Underwood, in Oakland.

Experts said the affidavit suggests evidence of a development that many have long suspected and feared: The so-called boogaloo boys may not be just disconnected extremists who share a penchant for Hawaiian shirts and chaos. They may have built nationwide systems to coordinate acts of violence and terror
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SMS was a Boogalo project!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What a shock. It is almost like their processing capacity was sabotaged...

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

South Carolina has 3.49 million registered voters. In 2016, 2.1 million votes were cast. So far, just under 1 million absentee ballots have been returned with another 100k issued.

In my county, there are 348k registered voters and only 34k ballots have been cast thus far. If we are going to catch up with the rest of the state, election day is going to be busy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:11 am
On source of election-night stress to prepare for:

It so happens that the swing states friendliest to Trump are in a position to report most of their results on the usual schedule, while the swing states friendliest to Biden will be taking some days to report their early/mail-in (and majority Dem) results. This means the maps on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning will look like a Trump win, and of course he's going to seize on that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:01 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:11 am
On source of election-night stress to prepare for:

It so happens that the swing states friendliest to Trump are in a position to report most of their results on the usual schedule, while the swing states friendliest to Biden will be taking some days to report their early/mail-in (and majority Dem) results. This means the maps on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning will look like a Trump win, and of course he's going to seize on that.
Sort of? From that article it sounds like the FL and NC early results are likely to be disproportionately pro-Biden. Sounds like early results in MI (and maybe PA) may be disproportionately Trump. And if we're in a world where it looks like Biden is winning FL and NC and Trump is winning MI and PA, that's one that favors Biden (538 projects Biden getting 308 electoral votes if you pick Biden and Trump as winning those states).

So it doesn't seem like those early results would make people think that Trump was winning.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Trump has said one thing I agree with: We need to know the results on election night.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:29 pm Trump has said one thing I agree with: We need to know the results on election night.
That's ideal, but it's more important to have accurate results than to have certain results on election night. To state the obvious, he's not interested in certainty or finality, he's interested in having the ability to cut off counting if preliminary results show him winning at any point.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:37 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:29 pm Trump has said one thing I agree with: We need to know the results on election night.
That's ideal, but it's more important to have accurate results than to have certain results on election night. To state the obvious, he's not interested in certainty or finality, he's interested in having the ability to cut off counting if preliminary results show him winning at any point.
I'm just waiting for him to flip when he gets creamed on election night.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:41 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:37 pm
I'm just waiting for him to flip when he gets creamed on election night.
What's going to be incredibly frustrating yet inevitable is to watch him say "we need to count all Floridians votes!" in one sentence and then "we need finality in the Michigan vote!" in the next.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's all well and good if they didn't do crazy things like smash sorting machines so that mail takes forever. How quick everything goes to shit is amazing to me.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In normal times, yes. These are not normal times. I'd rather wait a few days than have seniors and those with pre existing conditions risk their lives to give us instant gratification.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:37 pm...It's more important to have accurate results than to have certain results on election night.
This is the most important thing right now. We need an untainted mandate for Biden and the Democrats to *reform this system*. Otherwise, long-term this system is going to continue its path of decadence.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote:Trump has said one thing I agree with: We need to know the results on election night.
This wouldn’t be the first time election results aren’t known on election night.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Why? We almost certainly are not going to know all the results on election night based on the number of early voters and states that don't start counting those votes until election day. It's perfectly common for results from a number of states to not be called on election night. And news outlets that call the election are almost doing it on projections based on exit polls, # of votes counted vs. votes left, etc. and are not the arbiters of who wins. The certification of votes from each state always happen days after the actual vote takes place.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Why? We almost certainly are not going to know all the results on election night based on the number of early voters and states that don't start counting those votes until election day. It's perfectly common for results from a number of states to not be called on election night. And news outlets that call the election are almost doing it on projections based on exit polls, # of votes counted vs. votes left, etc. and are not the arbiters of who wins. The certification of votes from each state always happen days after the actual vote takes place.
Why? Because if it is an overwhelming landslide for Biden, we will know on election night. Trump's attempts at manipulation will be seen as the sour grapes they are.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

While that would be nice (re: a Biden landslide) the expected D/R discrepancy in early vs. day-of voting makes knowing anything for sure on election night unlikely. Especially because some key swing states (e.g. PA) don't count start processing early votes until election day meaning the first results will be from day-of voters.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My plan, consistent with 2018, is to not tune into election results until after 11 pm. Worked well for me, since I found out later that early results were looking bad for Democrats.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm My plan, consistent with 2018, is to not tune into election results until after 11 pm. Worked well for me, since I found out later that early results were looking bad for Democrats.
My plan is to not pay any attention at all on 11/3 including staying off social media. I'll check the news Wednesday morning after hopefully a good nighty's sleep. I can't imagine any situation on election night that helps me sleep, even an obvious blue tidal wave would keep me up. It would help me sleep for the next couple of years, but not on election night. Not knowing is the only possible out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm My plan, consistent with 2018, is to not tune into election results until after 11 pm. Worked well for me, since I found out later that early results were looking bad for Democrats.
Same. I already have my FF XIV raiding plan set up to keep me busy that entire night.

I do expect that I'll check in on it at some point before bed, but there's no way I'll be doing the "refresh every 30 seconds" dance that I did last time around.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

There's no way I'll be able to stay off the coverage for even an hour. I've been waiting four years and I have to know.

It'll be excruciating.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I'll be watching every second.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya there's no way I won't be staring at the news nonstop.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'll be playing hockey.

Outdoors.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will be playing video games until after all polling places are closed. Will check to see if it is a Biden landslide. If so, will tune in to Fox News for a few laughs.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm going to be pollwatching in southern NH, so I'll be driving home late anyway. I'll probably find a sports or pop culture podcast to listen to for the ride, that hopefully will push down what will no doubt be all-consuming anxiety.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In new petition, GOP candidates and state Rep. Toth ask Texas Supreme Court to REJECT Harris County votes cast in drive-thru lanes (100,000+ so far), calling it illegal curbside voting reserved for sick/disabled. A new argument after earlier bid to end drive-thru voting failed.
More info here.

Fuck these terrified assholes and their constant voter suppression bullshit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good thing it's not a strictly political matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:25 pmFuck these terrified assholes and their constant voter suppression bullshit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right? One group is telling you how they're going to fix things and get us moving in a different/new direction, while the other group is focused on making sure they're doing everything they can to creatively ensure some votes don't count. We really all are living in a parallel dimension.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NC
The Supreme Court on Wednesday allowed the counting of ballots in North Carolina received up to nine days after the election as long as the ballots are postmarked by Election Day, a victory for Democrats in another key state.

Republicans and the Trump campaign had asked the court to reinstate a deadline set in June by the state Legislature that allowed ballots to be received only up to three days after Election Day.

Justice Amy Coney Barrett took no part in the decision because she had not had time to fully review the briefs, the court said.
There were two separate challenges, one brought by the Trump campaign and other Republicans and a second brought by Republican North Carolina legislators.

Tuesday's orders did not specify a vote count. In both, Justices Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Clarence Thomas noted their dissent. It would have taken five justices to grant the Republicans' request.
PA
The US Supreme Court is leaving in place for now a Pennsylvania state Supreme Court decision that allowed the counting of ballots received up to three days after the election, even if there is no legible postmark.

The justices on Wednesday denied a request from Pennsylvania Republicans to review the decision on an accelerated basis.

Justice Amy Coney Barrett did not participate in the consideration of the motion.
The order was issued with no noted dissents, but in a statement accompanying the order, Justice Samuel Alito, joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch, said that it was too close to the election for the justices to step in.

"I reluctantly conclude that there is simply not enough time at this late date to decide the question before the election," Alito said, but he left open the possibility that the court could still hear the case on a shortened schedule after the election. The state attorney general's office said county boards will segregate all ballots received after 8 p.m. on Election Day until 5 p.m. on November 6, Alito noted.

Alito made clear that he was highly skeptical of the ruling by Pennsylvania's high court. He said the question had "national importance' and that there is a "strong likelihood that the State Supreme Court decision violates the Federal Constitution."
Orders available here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Alito made clear that he was highly skeptical of the ruling by Pennsylvania's high court. He said the question had "national importance' and that there is a "strong likelihood that the State Supreme Court decision violates the Federal Constitution."
I’d love to hear how an order to actually receive ballots “violates the Federal Constit...

Nvm, it’s Alito. No logic would enter into that decision.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can't seem to find the answer but I don't think there has ever been this level of anti-electoral legal carpet bombing ever. I imagine not even close to this. Sure the pandemic had some states try to add accommodations but this feels like an endless barrage.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The frustrating part is that this isn't just something that's going to affect Trump's election. This is precedent being established that will a thorn in democracy's side for a long, long time to come. This (collectively) is something that we'll be pulling our hair out about in the 2032 election, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just got my polling assignment. I'm going to be one of 30 people working at that location that day. I've never been to that place, but it sounds huge - I was expecting about 10 for my normal polling place. My day will start at 6am and likely end an hour after the last voter.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:21 pm
I’d love to hear how an order to actually receive ballots “violates the Federal Constit...

Doesn't the constitution specify an election day?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:41 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:21 pm

Doesn't the constitution specify an election day?
No?
Section 4: Elections
The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.
Edit: It's determined by statute.
3 U.S. Code § 1 - Time of appointing electors
The electors of President and Vice President shall be appointed, in each State, on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November, in every fourth year succeeding every election of a President and Vice President.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 644, 62 Stat. 672.)