Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Octavious »

I took the day off due to a doctor's appointment not even thinking about that it was the inauguration day. Worked out well.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:00 am2 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is going to be the first inauguration I've ever watched. I hope I can get a good seat.
I call dibs on being represented by the flag 56 rows back, 23 to the right!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I look forward to having to redesign my sig.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:20 pm I look forward to having to redesign my sig.
:whistle:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Meal wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:20 pm I look forward to having to redesign my sig.
:whistle:
Twenty-two! Twenty-two! Twenty-two! Twenty-two! Twenty-two! Twenty-two!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Now that Warnock and Ossoff have been sworn in, when does Schumer gain control of the senate's legislative agenda. Today? Tomorrow?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 pm Now that Warnock and Ossoff have been sworn in, when does Schumer gain control of the senate's legislative agenda. Today? Tomorrow?
I think technically it is *now* because Harris can cast tie breaking votes. However, they still need to negotiate the operating rules - the interface is between Schumer and McConnell at the moment. They've probably been back channeling it somewhat but it might take days. Still business such as working through appointees should be ongoing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This kinda sums up how completely and utterly insane this month has been.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The big thing I'm having to adjust to is that I only need to check the news once a day or so, and there isn't usually a lot to read.

I like to stay informed, and things, especially over the past year, have left me in a state where I check the news repeatedly every few hours, always expecting the worst, and rarely disappointed. I realize now how unhealthy that's been, but I still have the urge to check to see if we're in a shooting war with Iran, or have left NATO, or have joined some pact with Russia, or have banned masks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 pm The big thing I'm having to adjust to is that I only need to check the news once a day or so, and there isn't usually a lot to read.

I like to stay informed, and things, especially over the past year, have left me in a state where I check the news repeatedly every few hours, always expecting the worst, and rarely disappointed. I realize now how unhealthy that's been, but I still have the urge to check to see if we're in a shooting war with Iran, or have left NATO, or have joined some pact with Russia, or have banned masks.
Seconded.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be honest, the same thing probably applies to my reading of R&P.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 pm The big thing I'm having to adjust to is that I only need to check the news once a day or so, and there isn't usually a lot to read.

Yup. I caught myself Doomscrolling this morning and realized that it didn't feel doomed enough to justify it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Seconded.
I third the motion. We can take it to the floor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Yup. I caught myself Doomscrolling this morning and realized that it didn't feel doomed enough to justify it.
I believe the new term is gleefreshing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, so much this. My work productivity - at a time when I really needed to be laser focused - has gone to shit over the past couple months as I spent waaaaaaay too much time doomscrolling.

It's very much become a habit I need to break. Immediately.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 pm To be honest, the same thing probably applies to my reading of R&P.
Yup. Remember when days went by with no posts at all in this forum? IDK if we'll ever get back to that level of inactivity -- I kinda hope not -- but I do prefer a slower simmer.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pm

So, so much this. My work productivity - at a time when I really needed to be laser focused - has gone to shit over the past couple months as I spent waaaaaaay too much time doomscrolling.

It's very much become a habit I need to break. Immediately.
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I haven't been able to properly focus since the election until now. There was always something that had me worried. Now I'm just disgusted with the people that are hanging on and saying how great Trump is. Like seriously go f yourself if you think he was good.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this is "transfer of power"?

The American people chose to retire four Republican Senators and elect a Democratic majority to this Senate.

Senator McConnell’s proposal for how to organize the Senate is unacceptable—and it won’t be accepted.
I'm confused because it sounds assertive and it's coming from a Democrat as it relates to policy and protocol. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What is McConnell asking for specifically? Is it just the filibuster, or is it more than that?
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:50 pm What is McConnell asking for specifically? Is it just the filibuster, or is it more than that?
Makeup of committees is something I heard, but don't know any details.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think he wants to keep GOP chairs on some of the committees? I'm not entirely sure, though.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:50 pm What is McConnell asking for specifically? Is it just the filibuster, or is it more than that?

From CNN:
The Senate is operating on the organizing resolution from the last Congress, when the GOP was in the majority. Because of that, for instance, confirmation hearings for President Joe Biden's Cabinet picks this week are being chaired by Republicans.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm I think he wants to keep GOP chairs on some of the committees? I'm not entirely sure, though.
lolno. (2017 McConnell quote)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm I think he wants to keep GOP chairs on some of the committees? I'm not entirely sure, though.
lolno.
You really need a 2017 asterisk in there somewhere. I was mighty confused reading it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If there's video, it should be played in the Senate. This is why I can never be a politician. I would be teeing-off on McConnell non-stop.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 pmI guess this is "transfer of power"?
Given the absolute mucus layer McConnell has deployed to stay in power, it doesn't surprise me that Schumer is having trouble trying to reign him in.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm
lolno.
You really need a 2017 asterisk in there somewhere. I was mighty confused reading it.
Added.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What I heard was Moscow Mitch wanted to trade support for cabinet confirmations for delaying Florida Man impeachment.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Why would McConnell care about delaying the impeachment?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Defiant wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:17 pm Why would McConnell care about delaying the impeachment?
My assumption is to get a better assessment of the way the winds are blowing. The more time between the events and the trial the better understanding R senators might have about this might impact their reelection bids.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

OK, that makes sense.
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:40 pm
Defiant wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:17 pm Why would McConnell care about delaying the impeachment?
My assumption is to get a better assessment of the way the winds are blowing. The more time between the events and the trial the better understanding R senators might have about this might impact their reelection bids.
That might be true but that'd be a little weird because people forgot the impeachment that happened early last year by the middle of last year. The earlier it happens the less the effect. By the time mid-terms happen it'll be long lost on the populace.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, there's no real downside to Mitch to delaying. IIRC, he's only asking for end of February, so it's not like he's pushing it materially closer to the next election. And if you're trying to get Rs to vote yes on conviction, that is likely to have some impact on being primaried. That wasn't the case with the last vote, since only Romney voted to convict.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The longer they can wait, the more they can push the "we need to heal and this is divisive" crap they immediately embraced after 1/6. He's pushing to delay because on the whole it benefits the narrative and increases the chances that something else will come up to distract the American people's focus. This is why it's also important for the FBI to continue to investigate and announce arrests, when appropriate. As others have repeatedly pointed out, there will be no moving forward until all those involved (including the politicians still wandering the halls of Congress) are held accountable.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I mean, personally, while I think impeachment is important, I think confirming Biden's cabinet and getting any critical covid legislation passed should take priority.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Defiant wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm I mean, personally, while I think impeachment is important, I think confirming Biden's cabinet and getting any critical covid legislation passed should take priority.
From his *gasp* press conferences, so does the President. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:05 pm
Defiant wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm I mean, personally, while I think impeachment is important, I think confirming Biden's cabinet and getting any critical covid legislation passed should take priority.
From his *gasp* press conferences, so does the President. :)
I missed it (and, for the first time in a long time, I actually regret that), but it's not really his purview, anyway.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:01 pm The longer they can wait, the more they can push the "we need to heal and this is divisive" crap they immediately embraced after 1/6. He's pushing to delay because on the whole it benefits the narrative and increases the chances that something else will come up to distract the American people's focus. This is why it's also important for the FBI to continue to investigate and announce arrests, when appropriate. As others have repeatedly pointed out, there will be no moving forward until all those involved (including the politicians still wandering the halls of Congress) are held accountable.
I'm flabbergasted by how some of the Republican Senators are proclaiming this is unfair to Trump. I'm starting to think that he really could have gotten away with murder in that they'd be saying the same thing even if a Senator would have died from the riots.
Holman

Post by Holman »

raydude wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:04 pm
I'm flabbergasted by how some of the Republican Senators are proclaiming this is unfair to Trump. I'm starting to think that he really could have gotten away with murder in that they'd be saying the same thing even if a Senator would have died from the riots.
They'll say whatever it takes.

They're not even talking to you. They're talking to their base and begging not to be primaried.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:08 pm
raydude wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:04 pm
They'll say whatever it takes.

They're not even talking to you. They're talking to their base and begging not to be primaried.
Yup. Listen to the way (at least) Lindsey Fucking Graham talks to any of his constituents who aren't R's. He openly despises you, and is not afraid to say that, literally. He is QUITE fine with representing only the interests of the people that voted for him, and fuck anyone else. I'm not saying pols on both sides don't do this to an extent, but I have never seen it as openly...broadcast as I have from Graham.