The War for the Supreme Court (Ginsburg is dead)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

The War for the Supreme Court (Ginsburg is dead)

Post by Grifman »

Justice Ginsburg, an historic American Supreme Court Justice, has just died. So the war begins and it is going to be as nasty as any in history.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/10030697 ... dies-at-87

This is just going to be awful for the country. I wish she could have held on longer, "the spirit was willing but the body was weak". We really don't need this on top of the current election cycle, which is exactly why nothing should be done until after the election but we all know what McConnell is going to do.

I really hate this.
Last edited by Grifman on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Defiant

Re: The War for the Supreme Court (Ginsburg is dead)

Post by Defiant »

Fuck.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OH MY FUCKING GOD , NO
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

2020, the year that keeps on taking.
Holman

Post by Holman »

:(

Above and beyond the political consequences, RBG was a towering intellect and influence on American justice.

It will necessary to pack the courts in order to protect and further that legacy. So be it.

EDIT: And Dems need to declare right now that court-packing will be the response to McConnell rushing to fill the seat. Make the election about that. Make it clear.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 pmFuck.
FUCK
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm 2020, the year that keeps on taking.
Eh, sometimes ya just gotta say, "que sera, sera".

And then down a fifth of your best scotch before passing out crying in an empty bathtub.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm EDIT: And Dems need to declare right now that court-packing will be the response to McConnell rushing to fill the seat. Make the election about that. Make it clear.
Yup. I can only imagine what's happening now at Deplorable-central. Truly we are in the darkest of dark timelines.

What a loss and at such an interesting point in American history.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm :(

Above and beyond the political consequences, RBG was a towering intellect and influence on American justice.

It will necessary to pack the courts in order to protect and further that legacy. So be it.
I have always been opposed to this but McConnell's purely hypocritical position is leading me way from opposing this, even if I'm not sure I can support it. To deny Obama his appointment and then do the opposite because Trump is president is a level of hypocrisy I cannot abide.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

We really can’t have nice things in 2020, can we?

:cry:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I honestly feel like I'm going to throw up.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:49 pm
Of course, that quote needs updating:
With four words and a proud smile, the Senate majority leader this week confirmed what those who have watched him closely have long understood to be true: If a vacancy on the high court occurs in the election year of 2020, the Republican majority that McConnell leads would vote to confirm President Donald Trump’s nominee. “Oh, we’d fill it,” McConnell said in response to a what-if question about the Supreme Court during an appearance in his home state of Kentucky.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... 20/590452/
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:49 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm EDIT: And Dems need to declare right now that court-packing will be the response to McConnell rushing to fill the seat. Make the election about that. Make it clear.
Yup. I can only imagine what's happening now at Deplorable-central. Truly we are in the darkest of dark timelines.

What a loss and at such an interesting point in American history.
McConnell is actually in a tough spot here.

After Merrick Garland, the hypocrisy of a rushed appointment six weeks before the election will be plain to everyone. Senators' votes will be watched as they were during impeachment. I wonder if GOP senators facing tough fights really want to be put on the spot like this right now.

Then, if Dems retake the senate, court-packing becomes the obvious and uncontroversial response. It's literally only fair.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Fuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkk.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Get ready for a shit show of all time.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

EDIT: And Dems need to declare right now that court-packing will be the response to McConnell rushing to fill the seat. Make the election about that. Make it clear.
Of course, here's the argument against packing the court:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/w ... ncna992851
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 pm I honestly feel like I'm going to throw up.
My exact reaction as well. Absolutely terrible, for lots of reasons.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Republicans/Trump are presumably not going to want to push someone in through before Election Day. Apart from the terrible optics, they're going to want to give conservative voters a reason to vote for them (and this will push turnout up). Also, some Republicans in tight races might vote against it.

The question is, what happens between Election Day and Inauguration Day (assuming trump loses and Democrats pick up the Senate)?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm

I love how they talk about the legitimacy of the court and we are going to see someone confirmed in ... 3-4 weeks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 pm Republicans/Trump are presumably not going to want to push someone in through before Election Day. Apart from the terrible optics, they're going to want to give conservative voters a reason to vote for them (and this will push turnout up). Also, some Republicans in tight races might vote against it.
I wouldn't presume that at all.
The question is, what happens between Election Day and Inauguration Day (assuming trump loses and Democrats pick up the Senate)?
Exactly (if they don't push it). This is literally the nightmare scenario. Odds this is a simulation just went up drastically.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Defiant wrote:Republicans/Trump are presumably not going to want to push someone in through before Election Day. Apart from the terrible optics, they're going to want to give conservative voters a reason to vote for them (and this will push turnout up). Also, some Republicans in tight races might vote against it.
I would be shocked if Trump hasn’t nominated someone within the next two weeks.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:00 pmI would be shocked if Trump hasn’t nominated someone within the next two weeks hours.
FTFY
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman

Post by Holman »

1869 was a long time ago. As with most of the Constitution, the future demands revision.

In the mid-nineteenth century, Supreme Court justices would be appointed after a long and mature career and could then be expected to die before their 80s. The average tenure of all justices prior the current incumbents is under 17 years.

Brett Kavanaugh will probably get at least 30.

Increasing lifespans and a tendency to strategically appoint younger justices warps the historical progress of the court. This makes the "perfect balance" of nine justices something different than it was 150 years ago.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That is probably it folks. Don't forget to turn out the lights on the way out.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 pm Republicans/Trump are presumably not going to want to push someone in through before Election Day. Apart from the terrible optics, they're going to want to give conservative voters a reason to vote for them (and this will push turnout up). Also, some Republicans in tight races might vote against it.

Not too sure about this administration caring about the optics. Packing the court with conservative judges is a huge “promises kept” thing. Nothing like demonstrating his power to convince conservatives unhappy with his performance with COVID-19 that he’s the guy that has cemented the legal conservative legacy for decades to come.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Not too sure about this administration caring about the optics. Packing the court with conservative judges is one of his big “promises kept” things. Nothing like demonstrating his power to convince conservatives unhappy with his performance with COVID-19 that he’s the guy that has cemented the legal conservative legacy for decades to come.
They'll care about optics right before the election (not so sure about afterwards).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:59 pm

I love how they talk about the legitimacy of the court and we are going to see someone confirmed in ... 3-4 weeks.
It doesn't have to be 3 to 4 weeks, they just need to do so before the next president takes office. They've got 3 months, give or take. Doesn't really change the thrust of your argument though :)

That said, this all started with the Democrats removing the filibuster for judicial appointments, then followed by the removal of home state holds and the filibuster for Supreme Court nominations by the Republicans. Nominations now can be highly partisan because they no longer need the support of 60 senators. This is the perfect example of doing something because you have the power to do so without thinking through the long term implications of your actions. It was a short term solution that resulted in a long term problem.

We really need to look at some reform of the selection process/tenure of Supreme Court justices so that it's doesn't become a political Blood Bowl every time a SCJ dies. The process as it stands now only serves to further inflame partisan political passions. This is another way our country is badly broken :(
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:00 pm
Defiant wrote:Republicans/Trump are presumably not going to want to push someone in through before Election Day. Apart from the terrible optics, they're going to want to give conservative voters a reason to vote for them (and this will push turnout up). Also, some Republicans in tight races might vote against it.
Nominate, sure.

Get them confirmed before the election? I'm skeptical.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Imagine a scenario where current court needs to decide on some election-related shenanigans like they did in 2000. JFC this is insane.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, fuck.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another scary note. Trump has been hounding Biden to put out a list of his Supreme Court nominees. Was that show or did they know she was on her death bed? They may have already seized the advantage. And they have all the advantage they need.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:08 pm
It doesn't have to be 3 to 4 weeks, they just need to do so before the next president takes office. They've got 3 months, give or take. Doesn't really change the thrust of your argument though :)
Remember that the new Senate gets seated about three weeks before the inauguration.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Not too sure about this administration caring about the optics. Packing the court with conservative judges is a huge “promises kept” thing. Nothing like demonstrating his power to convince conservatives unhappy with his performance with COVID-19 that he’s the guy that has cemented the legal conservative legacy for decades to come.
The idea that the GOP would somehow start caring about optics right now is baffling to me.

This is their dream scenario, the ultimate stigginit.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Same, he will force the issue and McConnell will not stand in the way. This is not a friendly timeline. The whole "who had blank blank on their 2020 bingo card" reveals really need to cease. This will definitely get out the vote more all around, come on America don't fuck this up.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:10 pm Imagine a scenario where current court needs to decide on some election-related shenanigans like they did in 2000. JFC this is insane.
And they will. That's the other side of the coin. Here is the very nightmare scenario. Trump starts suing and it gets to a court that votes 5-3 or maybe even a symbolic 4-4 (Roberts being canny) and hands him the Presidency ala 2000. What happens? I don't know how the country doesn't tear itself to pieces.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 pm

1869 was a long time ago. As with most of the Constitution, the future demands revision.

In the mid-nineteenth century, Supreme Court justices would be appointed after a long and mature career and could then be expected to die before their 80s. The average tenure of all justices prior the current incumbents is under 17 years.

Brett Kavanaugh will probably get at least 30.

Increasing lifespans and a tendency to strategically appoint younger justices warps the historical progress of the court. This makes the "perfect balance" of nine justices something different than it was 150 years ago.
You've asserting a need for change without specifying if there any real reason beyond "packing the court". If 9 isn't the right number, what is and why (if there is an answer beyond pure political needs)?

The problem is what is to prevent the Republicans from packing the court whenever they take control again. You're not really solving the problem. Expand the court to 12, well, why not 15 for the Republicans? 0r 21 for the next Democratic winners? Where exactly does this stop?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:09 pm
Nominate, sure.

Get them confirmed before the election? I'm skeptical.
If I were McConnell I would push like hell to get someone nominated and confirmed. Trump’s re-election may not be guaranteed but a conservative justice is for life and it would be a huge conservative win. Presidents come and go.
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Murkowski put out a statement saying she won’t vote on a judge until after the election, but I suppose that still means she could during a lame duck session.
Black Lives Matter