Trump vs. Biden - Debate time!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Trump vs. Biden - Debate time!

Post by Kraken »

We already laid out a bunch of starting positions in the main Trump vs. Biden thread, but I thought we should have a spinoff for reactions. I concur with what's been said already. The moderators aren't going to fact-check, so trump is free to spew whatever lies come to mind, and Biden mustn't be drawn into spending his time debunking them -- that just lets trump set the agenda.

Viewers aren't watching for information. There are very few undecideds and even fewer persuadables. Biden would destroy trump on substance because trump has literally no policies to discuss, but most viewers aren't there to learn about policy. Rather, we're watching for entertainment and to confirm our biases. Trump is certainly more entertaining than Biden, and could "win" on that basis, especially if Joe gets flustered and tongue-tied. Nobody expects trump to be statesmanlike, so he's got a pretty low bar to clear. OTOH, random greatest campaign rally hits aren't going to fly in this format, and people might see just how unhinged he really is, while Biden's pretty good in one-on-one debates (at least, when he's matched with someone who's actually debating). Each side will be watching for the other side's guy to flub up.

It's sure to be entertaining, at least.
Fireball

Re: Trump vs. Biden - Debate time!

Post by Fireball »

Biden has been hovering at +7 nationally for about a month. His highest polls this year were around +9 in June and July. His lowest were around +5 just as he was wrapping up the Democratic primary and Trump was getting his (very brief) rally-around-the-flag boost when the pandemic began. It’s hard to see the race moving much — a global pandemic and economic meltdown only nudged the race from a stable Biden +6 throughout last year to today’s +7. Yet I still think that if Biden puts on a good performance, like he did in the later primary debates, particularly the one-on-one with Sanders, and Trump is as bad in 2020 as he was in 2016, there may be a bump. If we get through the three debates and Biden is still +7, that’s great. If he’s +6, that’s fine. But if he’s back up to +9, an actual landslide might be in the making.

Also, I wonder how many people will go and vote on Wednesday? There have already been 1 million votes cast this year, up from about 10,000-ish at this point four years ago. Almost all of those are hard partisans banking their votes early, but a good debate by Biden that puts to rest the dementia nonsense might start getting independents to the polls.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

As I mentioned elsewhere, there's a chance that Trump has a weaker than normal performance for the first debate, like most incumbents in their first debates of reelection have.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can't stomach watching Herr Shitshow, but I will rely on this site and you tube to give me the lowlights.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I can't watch. I'll just scream at the tv. It's not like I need to decide on anything.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As nauseating as trump is, I can stand to watch two hours of Biden pummeling him. At least, I think I can. I know Joe's been boning up for this while trump has not, and I hope it shows.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Defiant wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:05 pm As I mentioned elsewhere, there's a chance that Trump has a weaker than normal performance for the first debate, like most incumbents in their first debates of reelection have.
What kind of chance? How often does Trump fit into norms or previous patterns of presidential behavior?

He’s Mr. Unprecedented!?&)11!
He’s Anti-Presidential. Bizarro President if you will.

Trying to make ANY assumptions or predictions about this wildcard/idiot has shown to be disastrous.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:24 pm As nauseating as trump is, I can stand to watch two hours of Biden pummeling him. At least, I think I can. I know Joe's been boning up for this while trump has not, and I hope it shows.
I think Trump in front of a camera is an opportunity to put his tired old show on, he going to out yell him, and lie, lie, lie. I don't even know if Biden fact checking him the whole time is worth it. It is the tail wagging the dog. Unless Biden stripper rips off his suit to reveal his black antifa uniform this is meaningless. It is a ceremony that usually doesn't change the math in a normal election. In this one, with a POS as big as Trump this is just theater of the absurd.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:24 pm As nauseating as trump is, I can stand to watch two hours of Biden pummeling him. At least, I think I can. I know Joe's been boning up for this while trump has not, and I hope it shows.
I think Trump in front of a camera is an opportunity to put his tired old show on, he going to out yell him, and lie, lie, lie. I don't even know if Biden fact checking him the whole time is worth it. It is the tail wagging the dog. Unless Biden stripper rips off his suit to reveal his black antifa uniform this is meaningless. It is a ceremony that usually doesn't change the math in a normal election. In this one, with a POS as big as Trump this is just theater of the absurd.
But the ratings and ad take will be UGE!

I mean let's face it. This is tawdry reality television at this point.

Maybe there's some sort of catharsis for one side or the other, or both, when candidates fuck up or drop a zinger. That's the best we can hope for.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think my biggest concern is the media's propensity to amplify the unexpected. For Trump, even acting slightly normal will result in the media fawning over "how he acted uncharacteristically presidential." A debate where Trump does the minimum of acting like an normal human being will result in positive press. For Biden, on the other hand, any gaffe is ripe to be exploited and repeated. The press loves to equalize, and in this case it means pulling Trump up and pulling Biden down.

I think the chances of this happening are higher in debates 2 or 3 when Trump has had some coaching after getting pummeled in debate 1.

It is going to be fascinating to watch though. Trump's got multiple issues he simply can't spin his way out of. 200,000+ Americans dead from Covid, a cratering economy, not paying taxes, Supreme Court hypocrisy - I think his biggest opportunity is going to be the "Race and Violence in our Cities" segment (which was a BS name for a topic - it only serves to exaggerate Trump's message that our cities are burning to the ground). One of Trump's few good attacks against Biden is the "he's soft on crime" angle. I'm not saying it's accurate, I'm just saying it's the one area I can see playing well across demographics that Trump desperately needs to sway.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Of course, Trump will once again claim that Biden is using drugs to improve his mental acuity and give a better performance and likely demand a drug test at the debate. To which one wonders if there were such a drug, why wasn't Trump taking them by the bucketful.

Of course, in Trump's case, there absolutely are such mentally enhancing drugs. Sedatives, hallucinogens and pretty much any drug that alters his mental state in any way whatsoever has to be an improvement, right?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, another thought. Being on the stage with candidate Trump had to be embarrassing for Clinton in 2016. Being on stage with president Trump for Biden has got to be somewhat frightening. In a "what would Putin do to his opponents in this situation...." kind of way.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 am

Maybe there's some sort of catharsis for one side or the other, or both, when candidates fuck up or drop a zinger. That's the best we can hope for.
I think the debates are still a useful source of information, at least for voters who don't normally pay a ton of attention to politics. Biden's main goal is to present himself as a viable president, to say "hey, I'm not the senile police-hating crypto-anarchist that Trump's people have been trying to paint me as", while otherwise letting Trump's verbal insanity speak for itself.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Defiant wrote:To which one wonders if there were such a drug, why wasn't Trump taking them by the bucketful.
I absolutely think he already is. The constant sniffling, the slurred speech? He's on something. And his tendency to project upon his opponents the very thing he's doing nearly confirms it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I agree with others that I couldn't possibly watch this....but I feel I must. Some sort of weird duty, I dunno. I also think it bears some self-reflection on WHY my immediate reaction to watching the debates was "HELL NO". Too much at risk? Afraid my guy might screw up, indicating...what exactly I don't know. Perhaps it's fear of the unknown if Biden doesn't trounce this idiot.

And while I also totally agree that these are basically just media fodder, I think one is probably good. But three? Come on. I do think that's at least one too many.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll definitely tune in, but I don't feel obliged to watch the whole thing. I'm interested, I'm just not sure I want to increase my stress level too much (which it will, even if it goes well overall).
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 am
Defiant wrote:To which one wonders if there were such a drug, why wasn't Trump taking them by the bucketful.
I absolutely think he already is. The constant sniffling, the slurred speech? He's on something. And his tendency to project upon his opponents the very thing he's doing nearly confirms it.
The oft-repeated speculation is that he snorts Adderall. IDK enough about that to have an opinion one way or the other, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm going to be pretty pissed if there are no climate change questions during these debates a la 2016.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 am

I think the debates are still a useful source of information, at least for voters who don't normally pay a ton of attention to politics. Biden's main goal is to present himself as a viable president, to say "hey, I'm not the senile police-hating crypto-anarchist that Trump's people have been trying to paint me as", while otherwise letting Trump's verbal insanity speak for itself.
Anyone who isn't already paying attention is more likely to heed voting advice from a twitter meme or Facebook bot 2 days before casting a vote than a measured viewing of the "debate".

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:12 am
YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 am
The oft-repeated speculation is that he snorts Adderall. IDK enough about that to have an opinion one way or the other, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Well, Rudy accused Biden of taking Adderall on Fox News this morning and we all know how much Trump and his campaign project....
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:52 pm I can't stomach watching Herr Shitshow, but I will rely on this site and you tube to give me the lowlights.
Yeah, I have no plans to watch this or any of the debates. One, unless either of them has a stroke on stage, nothing is going to change the meter for the electorate. Clinton clearly crushed Trump in all 3 debates and what did that get her? Nothing. Secondly I can't stand to listen/watch Trump. He's just going to do his lies/bluster shtick, Biden will try to appear as the only adult on the stage (not hard). The whole thing is just worthless and a total waste of time.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:36 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:52 pm I can't stomach watching Herr Shitshow, but I will rely on this site and you tube to give me the lowlights.
Yeah, I have no plans to watch this or any of the debates. One, unless either of them has a stroke on stage, nothing is going to change the meter for the electorate. Clinton clearly crushed Trump in all 3 debates and what did that get her? Nothing.
Actually, Clinton's polling jumped ~4.5 points after the first debate from +1.5 to +6. But that lead obviously wasn't sustained due to a variety of factors (*coughComeycough*).
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, I have no plans to watch this or any of the debates. One, unless either of them has a stroke on stage, nothing is going to change the meter for the electorate. Clinton clearly crushed Trump in all 3 debates and what did that get her? Nothing. Secondly I can't stand to listen/watch Trump. He's just going to do his lies/bluster shtick, Biden will try to appear as the only adult on the stage (not hard). The whole thing is just worthless and a total waste of time.
Same here. I'm sure I'll catch highlights, but I have zero interest in watching the shitshow. Feels like the whole thing will be a win for Trump, regardless of what actually happens. Read elsewhere:
If he doesn't come off as the most presidential candidate who has ever graced this earth, most news groups will be writing articles claiming how he's failed and washed up. By comparison if Trump can string 2 sentences together and not actively wet himself on stage, most news groups will claim (possibly rightly so) that Trump exceeded all expectations.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am
Yeah, I have no plans to watch this or any of the debates. One, unless either of them has a stroke on stage, nothing is going to change the meter for the electorate. Clinton clearly crushed Trump in all 3 debates and what did that get her? Nothing.
Actually, Clinton's polling jumped ~4.5 points after the first debate from +1.5 to +6. But that lead obviously wasn't sustained due to a variety of factors (*coughComeycough*).
This is what I keep stressing. People talk about 2016 like the debates didn't matter, but there's pretty compelling evidence that they did in terms of the immediate polling impact after each debate. And there are other instances where debates seem to have altered the trajectory of the race, including in 1980, where Carter led prior to the debates but Reagan shot up after.

Cause and effect is obviously hard to differentiate in a high information environment. And one might argue that the 2016 post-debate boost was inevitably going to be ephemeral. But given all of the high impact events after those debates that hurt Clinton (most notably Jim Fucking Comey's letter), I think that it's at least debatable whether Clinton's numbers coming back to earth were inevitable or not.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am Read elsewhere:
If he doesn't come off as the most presidential candidate who has ever graced this earth, most news groups will be writing articles claiming how he's failed and washed up. By comparison if Trump can string 2 sentences together and not actively wet himself on stage, most news groups will claim (possibly rightly so) that Trump exceeded all expectations.
"It was key moment in which the President pivoted toward being presidential"
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am
This is what I keep stressing. People talk about 2016 like the debates didn't matter, but there's pretty compelling evidence that they did in terms of the immediate polling impact after each debate. And there are other instances where debates seem to have altered the trajectory of the race, including in 1980, where Carter led prior to the debates but Reagan shot up after.
2016 was different. It was the real first time he was challenged on his policy positions without a script or friendly crowd standing behind him. It exposed that Trump really was the know nothing that everyone said he was in front of a relatively wide audience. That is completely 100% baked in now. Morning Joe had a historian on and they said after the 1960s the only real debate that had a big impact was...1980. And mostly because Reagan threw down the famous closing comment about whether life was better for the average person. The debate itself was ho-hum by contemporary accounts. The real magic was Reagan used his showman skills to get some free advertising.
Cause and effect is obviously hard to differentiate in a high information environment. And one might argue that the 2016 post-debate boost was inevitably going to be ephemeral. But given all of the high impact events after those debates that hurt Clinton (most notably Jim Fucking Comey's letter), I think that it's at least debatable whether Clinton's numbers coming back to earth were inevitable or not.
Yeah it is debate club fodder now. Tonight isn't even a good comparison really to glean insight. Too much is different.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Debate, adjective, is a regulated discussion of a proposition between two matched sides.

But I don't expect for one moment that this is actually a debate, because one side will not be actually debating.

Question about climate change?

Biden: Answer about climate change.
Trump: I know more about climate change than anybody, especially crooked Hillary who wants to user her private email server to take your guns away, Lock Her Up!!

4 years ago, I would have been laughed at for making up that sentence. But now, I would get criticized for forgetting to include a subclause about Biden being on drugs somewhere in the middle of the ramblings.

I mean, what literally is the point of this charade?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm4 years ago, I would have been laughed at for making up that sentence. But now, I would get criticized for forgetting to include a subclause about Biden being on drugs somewhere in the middle of the ramblings.
You forgot the subclauses:

1. Obama's fault, he spied and ruined my presidency
2. Hunter Biden, just as corrupt as his father, Russia!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm Question about climate change?
I wish! They probably wouldn't bring up the pre-eminent issue of our time. Too topical. :grund:
I mean, what literally is the point of this charade?
Tradition. I just listened to a Biden booster talking about how he wanted to remind people that there is a candidate who still believes in our traditions and norms. Then went to dance around the court packing question from Ayman Mohyeldin...saying Joe still believes in tradition and won't give an answer that just satisfies the pundits. I really, really, really hope this is all for show. Biden needs to win and then he needs to deliver reform...or else in 4 years we'll be deep, deep, deeper in the muck.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Too tropical... is how I read that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fox News is trying to play up Biden turning down Trump's request that everyone be searched for tiny headsets in their ears before the debate as a sure sign that Biden is planning on hiding a tiny headset in his ear for the debate. This is a tried and true Trump method: make bizarre and ridiculous demands and then claim you must be right to make those demands otherwise why wouldn't you agree to them!

Biden should just now demand that Trump allow his hair to be searched on stage before the debate for tiny headsets. When they're doing so, they need to pull his hair back from the top of his head. If Trump says "NO WAY" (which he would), then just claim Trump is hiding a tiny headset in his hair.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm Fox News is trying to play up Biden turning down Trump's request that everyone be searched for tiny headsets in their ears before the debate as a sure sign that Biden is planning on hiding a tiny headset in his ear for the debate. This is a tried and true Trump method: make bizarre and ridiculous demands and then claim you must be right to make those demands otherwise why wouldn't you agree to them!

Biden should just now demand that Trump allow his hair to be searched on stage before the debate for tiny headsets. When they're doing so, they need to pull his hair back from the top of his head. If Trump says "NO WAY" (which he would), then just claim Trump is hiding a tiny headset in his hair.
Unless the "hair" itself is the headset. For $70K, I would imagine you could make a wig that was a headset. :wink:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been thinking that unlike previous elections, this will be many Americans' first time really seeing Biden as a candidate. There are plenty of people out there who didn't really follow the primaries or the conventions, and with Biden under quarantine it's unlikely that they've seen a ton of clips of him speaking on the campaign trail. Hell, I follow politics daily and I haven't seen a great deal of Biden actually speaking.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a strong Biden performance could persuade some people who vote Republican but don't really like Trump into switching sides.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If Biden has a good showing, it's just going to prove to Trumpers that he's on drugs or used a tiny headset.

If Trump has a good showing, it's just going to prove to everyone else that Satan takes personal checks.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm Fox News is trying to play up Biden turning down Trump's request that everyone be searched for tiny headsets in their ears before the debate as a sure sign that Biden is planning on hiding a tiny headset in his ear for the debate. This is a tried and true Trump method: make bizarre and ridiculous demands and then claim you must be right to make those demands otherwise why wouldn't you agree to them!

Is this so Trump knows he can wear a tiny headset and won't get caught? Wait, like he would accept coaching from anyone nor even repeat what he was told correctly when it is being whispered in his ear.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

What questions would people like to see asked?

I'd love to see Trump face a question like "What have you learned from your past mistakes?"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

What. Is your name?
What. Is your quest?
What. Is the fully-laden speed of an airborne swallow?

Just have to make sure they ask Trump first. I'm pretty sure Biden would get the joke, but if the guy asking the questions gets flung into the ravine, well...
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 pm What questions would people like to see asked?

I'd love to see Trump face a question like "What have you learned from your past mistakes?"
Same as in 2016. "Why are you so bad at colluding with foreign powers to get elected?"

His chronic inability to accept being bad at anything will generate a hell of an answer.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I, for one, am keeping my fingers crossed for Randy Rainbow's follow-up to Nasty Woman.