2020 ballots by state

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gilraen

Re: 2020 ballots by state

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 pm Good lord, CO, if only you could hire representatives to decide all that stuff for you.
I like researching everything on the ballot, including judges. This year's ballot was seriously time-consuming, but I guess I should be happy we don't have as many judges as the Illinois ballot!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

everything passed in WA state, and Inslee is still governor. no complaints there.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:29 am everything passed in WA state, and Inslee is still governor. no complaints there.
ESJR 8212 didn't pass.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:53 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:29 am everything passed in WA state, and Inslee is still governor. no complaints there.
ESJR 8212 didn't pass.
sorry... was exaggerating. everything in King County passed
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Things I voted for that have won: 0
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m disappointed that ranked choice voting in MA may not pass. And I didn’t even see any negative ads against it or people with signs saying “NO to Question 2 Ranked Choice Voting”
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NJ legalized recreational marijuana, for anyone that cares. It's been something promised for 3 years now, so here we are.

Despite claims that it will happen quickly, I fully expect it to take at least another year to actually materialize, because it's NJ.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The bad:
Willie Wilson lost
Kim Foxx won

The good:
Tax Amendment looks dead
Toomin looks like he'll keep his seat despite daring to offend Madigan and Prekwinkle.
Willie Wilson lost

Everything else is as expected as far as I've seen. There are an few judges that I hope were not retained but haven't gone digging for those results yet.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I might quibble with your characterization of the tax results, but it does look like one of the deepest blue states will keep its outdated, regressive tax structure. I tip my cap to the no side for their messaging on this one. I think their advertising did a good job of convincing people that this would result in tax hikes on the middle class.

And for those wondering (and I know there are many of you), it looks like Democrat Jesus beat Republican Jesus. In my district (perhaps the most bizarrely gerrymandered Congressional district in the country), incumbent Democrat Jesus "Chuy" Garcia beat Republican challenger Jesus Solorio.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Uber set to win in California.
California voters decided Tuesday that Uber and Lyft should be exempt from state labor law that aimed to make their drivers employees rather than contractors, according to projections from NBC News.

Voters made the call on California’s Proposition 22, a ballot measure that essentially became one of Uber and Lyft’s last hopes in the state to continue their operations under the status quo.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Oregon decriminalized possession of 'small amounts' of any street drug, and legalized psilocybin for therapeutic use
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 am I’m disappointed that ranked choice voting in MA may not pass. And I didn’t even see any negative ads against it or people with signs saying “NO to Question 2 Ranked Choice Voting”
Frankly, I don't think most people bothered to understand it. I'm disappointed that we won't get a chance to try it.

The right-to-repair extension passed, so I'm 1 for 2, but that was one of those "why are you even asking me this?" referenda.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:12 am NJ legalized recreational marijuana, for anyone that cares. It's been something promised for 3 years now, so here we are.

Despite claims that it will happen quickly, I fully expect it to take at least another year to actually materialize, because it's NJ.
You can't do much worse than MA. Three years into legalization we still have the highest prices in the US because no competition. That's because of social justice provisions that aren't working, plus good old New England Puritanism. The black market still thrives here because of its 50% discount (and no taxes!).

Me? I take advantage of the 12-plant allowance and grow my own. A couple times a year I buy commercial weed as a treat. It's expensive and inconvenient but I have no social connections, so the black market is closed to me.
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:39 am it looks like Democrat Jesus beat Republican Jesus.
That's as good as Jesus vs. Santa Claus (my first exposure to South Park).
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:50 pm psilocybin
:wub: I can attest to its psychiatric potential. Mushrooms are a very beginner-friendly hallucinogen whose dose is easily controlled.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

and Culp was the victim of Federal, WA budget cuts: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... chief-job/
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My county had the best turnout in WA. 86%
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:39 am I might quibble with your characterization of the tax results, but it does look like one of the deepest blue states will keep its outdated, regressive tax structure. I tip my cap to the no side for their messaging on this one. I think their advertising did a good job of convincing people that this would result in tax hikes on the middle class.

And for those wondering (and I know there are many of you), it looks like Democrat Jesus beat Republican Jesus. In my district (perhaps the most bizarrely gerrymandered Congressional district in the country), incumbent Democrat Jesus "Chuy" Garcia beat Republican challenger Jesus Solorio.
And there's already talk of raising income tax, now on everyone rather than just the weathy. Good job, idiots! The millionaires appreciate your dedication to making sure their boats get reupholstered!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:09 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:39 am I might quibble with your characterization of the tax results, but it does look like one of the deepest blue states will keep its outdated, regressive tax structure. I tip my cap to the no side for their messaging on this one. I think their advertising did a good job of convincing people that this would result in tax hikes on the middle class.

And there's already talk of raising income tax, now on everyone rather than just the weathy. Good job, idiots! The millionaires appreciate your dedication to making sure their boats get reupholstered!
Right, because Springfield always keeps promises not to abuse carte blanche power. Junk Bonds is pissed and he'll probably take it out on the voting tax payer. He's already promised "painful cuts" despite the fact that all the additional revenue from the proposed "fair tax" was set to go to new spending (with a small amount to pensions). The math doesn't work. Never does.

Calling your fellow taxpayers "idiots" is exactly what he wants.

We do need a graduated tax system but there is no way to fix the state debt and deficit without addressing the other issues. The "fair tax" was a Band-Aid on gunshot wound. It was one those licensed character Band-Aids with a cool design but it was mostly useless. And no, it's not a case of the perfect being the enemy of the good. It's a case of an ineffective partial solution allowing complacency and another decade of irresponsibility.

The sad thing is that people will be upset about merely paying more taxes while the real victim will be those who lose vital programs.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The thing is, there is no question the state needs more money. The issue was entirely about going to the just the wealthy, or going to everyone. Now they will jack up the taxes on everyone, something that after 5 months of unemployment (and bleak prospects) I simply cannot afford.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:41 pm The thing is, there is no question the state needs more money. The issue was entirely about going to the just the wealthy, or going to everyone. Now they will jack up the taxes on everyone, something that after 5 months of unemployment (and bleak prospects) I simply cannot afford.
Do you really think the rich would pay more in taxes? They would just find or create more loopholes and it would fall back on us as usual.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:41 pm The thing is, there is no question the state needs more money. The issue was entirely about going to the just the wealthy, or going to everyone. Now they will jack up the taxes on everyone, something that after 5 months of unemployment (and bleak prospects) I simply cannot afford.
The current doomsday hike proposal is 20%. That would move the state income tax from 4.95% to 5.95%, or 1% in additional tax on taxable income.

For comparison, the 2017 increase was 32% or 1.20% from 3.75% to 4.95%. The corporate rate is 7%.

IIRC, the fair tax would have reduced the rate for the lowest bracket by 0.20 points to 4.75%.

IMO the sales taxes are more regressive than the income tax.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:55 pm IMO the sales taxes are more regressive than the income tax.
that would depend on how it is applied. As example in Michigan with a 6% sales tax, non prepared food is exempt. That takes a shitton of regressiveness out of it. It's still regressive but what I am guessing is probably an extra $150 a year or so per head on those that can afford to pay it least makes big difference.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

They're both regressive, but I'm not sure there's much value in ranking them. The sales tax isn't going away, though, and there was at least the opportunity to get rid of the flat income tax. I understand LB's reasoning in opposing it even if I don't agree with him, but bottom line we've now got both the regressive flat income tax and the regressive sales tax.
That's my purse! I don't know you!