COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Blackhawk »

23 million for me. Michelle got "very few" and it put her third in the graphic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I was 29th in line with apparently ~33k people ahead of me in my county.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats one of the paywalls I dont go to. Not giving them info or signing up. Dont care anyways as Im not getting a vaccine for at least a year or so.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:00 pm So how many are in line in front of you?

I got 26 million. Wife got nearly the head of the line - it didn't give a number, but said if a line of 100 represented the state of Illinois, she would be 6.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hah, I'm at the very end of the line.
Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind 268.7 million people across the United States.

When it comes to Massachusetts, we think you’re behind 5.4 million others who are at higher risk in your state.

And in Norfolk County, you’re behind 533,000 others.
At 63 I'm not quite elderly, and I don't have any health conditions. They won't get around to me until next summer. That's fine.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

An ER doc explained the mRNA vaccine to me like this:

mRNA will tell your body to produce the COVID spike protein. Your body will then in turn produce antibodies for the protein, which will also work against COVID-19.

Do I want my body producing spike proteins? Not sure. Does it stop when the mRNA breaks down? Or is that permenantly coded now? I mean I assume it stops.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:00 pm An ER doc explained the mRNA vaccine to me like this:

mRNA will tell your body to produce the COVID spike protein. Your body will then in turn produce antibodies for the protein, which will also work against COVID-19.

Do I want my body producing spike proteins? Not sure. Does it stop when the mRNA breaks down? Or is that permenantly coded now? I mean I assume it stops.
It should since mRNA isn’t incorporated into your genome forevermore.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 pm Hah, I'm at the very end of the line.
Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind 268.7 million people across the United States.

When it comes to Massachusetts, we think you’re behind 5.4 million others who are at higher risk in your state.

And in Norfolk County, you’re behind 533,000 others.
At 63 I'm not quite elderly, and I don't have any health conditions. They won't get around to me until next summer. That's fine.
there are only 6 people behind me.... is that you back there !? o/
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

After playing around with it for a bit, I'm a bit skeptical of that NYT estimate. As far as I can tell, age doesn't change the estimate at all (an 80 year old had the same estimate as a 23 year old). Neither does being an essential worker or a teacher. Really, it seems the only things that matter for the esimate is whether you're a healthcare worker or first responder and if you have an underlying medical issue.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:45 pm After playing around with it for a bit, I'm a bit skeptical of that NYT estimate. As far as I can tell, age doesn't change the estimate at all (an 80 year old had the same estimate as a 23 year old). Neither does being an essential worker or a teacher. Really, it seems the only things that matter for the esimate is whether you're a healthcare worker or first responder and if you have an underlying medical issue.
you may have not hit submit again, cause I played only with Age to test out my family and my mom, and age played a role in all of them... as otherwise we had no change in data.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Does it matter based on state? Because I could totally see SC being different than IL.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm curious as if I'll be able to get it quicker than the average joe simply because I work for a hospital. While I'm not directly engaged in patient care, all hospital employees typically get treated as if they will, at some point, come into contact with a patient. So that means we have to go through PPE training, tuberculosis screenings, mandatory flu shots, etc.

I don't really care either way, and in fact would rather step to the back of the line to make sure the people in real danger get it first, but it's going to be interesting to see whether they classify me as a "healthcare worker" or an "IT worker." Then you have even further shades of gray, because while I'm not one of them, we do have IT folks who go into patient rooms. How granular are they going to get?

So far the only thing we've been told is that we will not be REQUIRED to get a Covid vaccine.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:34 pm Does it matter based on state? Because I could totally see SC being different than IL.
Perhaps to some degree, but the image of the people in line reveals the place elderly vs young adults lay relative to one another.

I was doing people in Cook County IL , no special status. Just kids, vs adults, vs elderly.

What county were you doing Ralph?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:38 pm I'm curious as if I'll be able to get it quicker than the average joe simply because I work for a hospital. While I'm not directly engaged in patient care, all hospital employees typically get treated as if they will, at some point, come into contact with a patient. So that means we have to go through PPE training, tuberculosis screenings, mandatory flu shots, etc.

I don't really care either way, and in fact would rather step to the back of the line to make sure the people in real danger get it first, but it's going to be interesting to see whether they classify me as a "healthcare worker" or an "IT worker." Then you have even further shades of gray, because while I'm not one of them, we do have IT folks who go into patient rooms. How granular are they going to get?

So far the only thing we've been told is that we will not be REQUIRED to get a Covid vaccine.
We're prioritizing direct patient care, then patient care support and then essential on-site. I'm at the back of the line at work but towards the front in general as "health care."
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:38 pm I don't really care either way, and in fact would rather step to the back of the line to make sure the people in real danger get it first, but it's going to be interesting to see whether they classify me as a "healthcare worker" or an "IT worker." Then you have even further shades of gray, because while I'm not one of them, we do have IT folks who go into patient rooms. How granular are they going to get?
Based on what I see from our client hospitals, you are most likely classified as a "non-clinical" or "non-patient-contact" worker. YMMV, but I doubt you'd be anywhere near the front of the line ;)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Peak America:
Lenders, bank tellers and traders could jump ahead of most Americans for vaccines, after such remedies receive emergency authorization by the Food and Drug Administration, potentially putting financial industry workers ahead of those aged above 65, adults with medical issues and the rest of the U.S. population.

The American Bankers Association said it has asked for the CDC to designate financial services industry as “essential workers,” following guidelines issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Unagi wrote: What county were you doing Ralph?
Charleston, SC and Orange County, NC. Just messed around with it a bit more: age had an effect when all the other questions were checked “no” but didn’t make a difference if the vulnerable health question was checked “yes”. I would think that older people with health issues would be ahead of younger people with those same issues, but maybe not.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

I got 26 million. Wife got nearly the head of the line - it didn't give a number, but said if a line of 100 represented the state of Illinois, she would be 6.
As an anesthesiologist in Connecticut, it looks like I'm going to be pretty much at the front of the line...based not only on that article, but also the information I'm getting from the hospital system within which I work. There's a very good chance I'll be able to receive a vaccine before the end of the month.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm wondering whether we'll get any bump in line due to being primary caregivers for a medically vulnerable kid. The NYT thing says I'm toward the back of the line, but I'm hoping to get ahead to try to keep my kid safe.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 pm

As an anesthesiologist in Connecticut, it looks like I'm going to be pretty much at the front of the line...based not only on that article, but also the information I'm getting from the hospital system within which I work. There's a very good chance I'll be able to receive a vaccine before the end of the month.
They said this morning that the first wave of vaccines will be in the 50 counties with the largest infection rate. In Illinois, that includes counties around us, but not our county (nor the country my wife works).

Her facility is up to 61 current infections among residents and staff. Several more from her unit were relocated after testing positive. Now in addition to no days off, my wife is working 12 hour shifts.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 am I'm wondering whether we'll get any bump in line due to being primary caregivers for a medically vulnerable kid. The NYT thing says I'm toward the back of the line, but I'm hoping to get ahead to try to keep my kid safe.
I'd ask your family's PCP and/or a visiting nurse (if you have one) about it. Your thought process makes sense, though in truth i can't say that I've seen a special call-out for domestic care providers in the plans. That doesn't mean they're not there, but the numbers might be so small they're just not specifically listed. If I'm able to get one because I'm working a clinic (and as far removed from front line care in any capacity as I could be), there's no reason you shouldn't be able to as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So wheres that idiot Jenny McCarthy in all this? I haven't heard her anti vax voice during this stuff or any other one.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:35 am So wheres that idiot Jenny McCarthy in all this? I haven't heard her anti vax voice during this stuff or any other one.
She's busy with TV presumably.

Don't worry, the Senate has got it covered:

Dec. 6, 2020

WASHINGTON — A doctor who is skeptical of coronavirus vaccines and promotes the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine as a Covid-19 treatment will be the lead witness at a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on Tuesday, prompting criticism from Democrats who say Republicans should not give a platform to someone who spreads conspiracy theories.

Dr. Jane M. Orient is the executive director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a group that opposes government involvement in medicine and views federal vaccine mandates as a violation of human rights.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:10 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:35 am So wheres that idiot Jenny McCarthy in all this? I haven't heard her anti vax voice during this stuff or any other one.
She's busy with TV presumably.

Don't worry, the Senate has got it covered:

Dec. 6, 2020

WASHINGTON — A doctor who is skeptical of coronavirus vaccines and promotes the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine as a Covid-19 treatment will be the lead witness at a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on Tuesday, prompting criticism from Democrats who say Republicans should not give a platform to someone who spreads conspiracy theories.

Dr. Jane M. Orient is the executive director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a group that opposes government involvement in medicine and views federal vaccine mandates as a violation of human rights.
Whew, I was worried that with all that hard work the Senate is doing to pass a Covid-19 stimulus bill they wouldn’t have time to hear the concerns of such learned “experts”.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Daehawk wrote:So wheres that idiot Jenny McCarthy in all this?
I've always though that the pairing of her (perhaps the most famous anti-vaxxer) with Ken Jeong (actual doctor) on The Masked Singer was interesting. Wonder if there have ever been any awkward backstage conversations.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Such as "You're stupid Jenny and the older you get the less your tits make up for it" ?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Too far, man. Too far.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Back to the NYT, I got 23 Million. I'm OK with 23 Million. I don't wanna be first in line.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Interesting. I'm sure that they're trying to stay out of the political crossfire, though I'm not sure whether they'll ultimately be able to do that.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They probably realize it will be a Trump victory rally first and foremost and want to avoid getting caught up in all that jazz on the eve of a new administration taking office.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, they don't want to be around people that are still actively spreading COVID-19 because they refuse to take even the most basic of safety precautions.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I bet Trump can get the makers of the Russian vaccine to his summit.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did we know this? I honestly can't keep up anymore.
The Trump administration opted last summer not to lock in a chance to buy millions of additional doses of one of the leading coronavirus vaccine contenders, a decision that could delay the delivery of a second batch of doses until manufacturer Pfizer fulfills other international contracts.

Under its contract with Pfizer, the Trump administration committed to buy an initial 100 million doses, with an option to purchase as many as five times more.

This summer, the White House opted not to lock in an additional 100 million doses for delivery in the second quarter of 2021, according to people who spoke about the matter on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Days ahead of the vaccine’s expected approval, the administration is reversing course, but it is not clear that Pfizer, which has since made commitments to other countries, will be able to meet the latest request on the same timeline.
EDIT: I now see it's in the other thread.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The best part is where they make promises that every American will be able to get the vaccine. I mean I guess that might be true factoring in the anti-vax doubt they stoked as well.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't think this was a clear cut decision at the time, when there were dozens of potential vaccines and no data to determine whether any were effective. I don't think it's unreasonable to go with the 100 million doses, but wait for data before ordering more doses. It's much easier to say that it was the wrong decision now.

But then, hindsight is, uh...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What I want to know is after we all get the shots and covid is still around what will we do?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If one olde person in a household gets the shot and the other one has to wait how safe will the one without the shot be?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ye olde person without the shot will still be better off....