COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by YellowKing »

We've done a total of roughly 5,000 vaccinations since the first shipment. We were just told to prepare for an influx of 20,000 vaccination requests by next Friday.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

State is allowing 65+ starting Monday (1b). Also includes teachers, etc.

We're expecting shipments over the weekend so probably will be able to start.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW Massachusetts is apparently aiming to get to "phase 3" vaccinations (e.g., the general public) in April. Not really sure how on track we are for that, but we'll see.
Black Lives Matter.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 pm That TMZ article is full of outrage but light of facts. Has any vaccine actually been thrown out? I get that the policy is awful but clinics seem to be ignoring it..
TMZ did add the following update later in the day (which I've since edited into the quoted story), in which they report having called numerous clinics in L.A. County and with only one exception, they all said they could not give any vaccines to people who were not on the priority list:
TMZ wrote:Update 4:27 PM PT -- We just got a call from the Dept. of Public Health. The spokesperson pointed us to this provision in the guidelines ... "Each group should be targeted with sufficient outreach and mobilization before proceeding to the next group. However, exceptions may be made in order to prevent any vaccine wastage." Here's the problem ... what exceptions? When a clinic has 800 doses at the end of the day, can a 30-year-old get a vaccine? Do they have to base exceptions on the priority lists? So, do they have to look for 800 70-year-olds before they move to the next group? It makes no sense, and there is no explanation.

The rep said the exceptions should be based on the priority groups, but that makes no sense. How are they going to find 800 70-plus-year-olds in 3 or 4 hours before the vaccines spoil? We called numerous clinics in L.A. County, and with one exception, they all said they could not give any vaccines to people who were not on the priority list. And, finally, as we reported, the Health Dept. had a closed meeting a week ago where they admitted they needed to clarify the rule and no punitive action would be taken until the rules were clarified. They have not clarified the rule at all.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wife just texted me that Oregon governor said that Warp Speed told her there is no more supply? Can't verify right now, busy AF but throwing it out there for ISGing.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm Wife just texted me that Oregon governor said that Warp Speed told him there is no more supply? Can't verify right now, busy AF but throwing it out there for ISGing.
I've seen similar reports on WaPo.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

"Last night, I received disturbing news, confirmed to me directly by General Perna of Operation Warp Speed: States will not be receiving increased shipments of vaccines from the national stockpile next week, because there is no federal reserve of doses."

Also from WaPo
When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

Now, health officials across the country who had anticipated their extremely limited vaccine supply as much as doubling beginning next week are confronting the reality that their allocations will not immediately increase, dashing hopes of dramatically expanding eligibility for millions of elderly people and those with high-risk medical conditions. Health officials in some cities and states were informed in recent days about the reality of the situation, while others are still in the dark.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm Wife just texted me that Oregon governor said that Warp Speed told her there is no more supply? Can't verify right now, busy AF but throwing it out there for ISGing.
Yeah, it was linked on the last page and I was waiting for someone other than the WP to report. Basically Azar announced vaccines were being released from the reserve this week for 2nd doses, but the reserve had already been tapped and exhausted.

So yeah, whatever vaccination plans people had have just been torpedoed. I shouldn't be surprised, but here we are.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Can we call it Operation Warp Core Breach yet?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:59 pm Can we call it Operation Warp Core Breach yet?
Nothing a last second epiphany that rerouting dilithium crystals to give another 50% won't cure.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My mother-in-law just had a conversation with my wife about something I didn't notice. Apparently 'smokers' got bumped up in the list here above teachers. I think this is technically the same situation my wife is in that the "new" sub-group of high-risk people includes smokers. Like everything it has rapidly been politicized - for example I am hearing this because apparently the state teachers' union is up in arms over this. Which I get to an extent. They've been shit on, asked to be put potentially in harms way, and then shit on again. This whole thing is an unmitigated disaster...but being NJ we'll re-elect the guy responsible anyway.

Edit: I'm not questioning this btw - I suspect prioritizing smokers saves more lives and reduces hospitalization load.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:31 pmThat is absolutely insane. I'm sure there are a ton of people that would be more than happy to be on a last minute call list for vaccines. I certainly would.
I received my first dose of the Moderna vaccination yesterday, as an employee at a medical facility that can come within feet of elderly patients. I was advised that I needed my booster 4 weeks later.

I wonder if there's an issue with concern over not being able to provide the follow-up in a timely manner when the first dose is given randomly.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:23 pm My mother-in-law just had a conversation with my wife about something I didn't notice. Apparently 'smokers' got bumped up in the list here above teachers. I think this is technically the same situation my wife is in that the "new" sub-group of high-risk people includes smokers. Like everything it has rapidly been politicized - for example I am hearing this because apparently the state teachers' union is up in arms over this. Which I get to an extent. They've been shit on, asked to be put potentially in harms way, and then shit on again. This whole thing is an unmitigated disaster...but being NJ we'll re-elect the guy responsible anyway.
Honestly in general I get the sense that the best approach is just to have three tiers: (1) front line medical workers and people in / working at assisted living homes; (2) Everyone 75+; and (3) the general public.

The first couple are by far the most at risk. And efforts to create sub-groups threatens to both slow the vaccine rollout (having to figure out / verify who is in which buckets, chance of wasted doses if people in higher tiers aren't available at a given time), and create risk of gaming the system anyway.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:48 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm Wife just texted me that Oregon governor said that Warp Speed told her there is no more supply? Can't verify right now, busy AF but throwing it out there for ISGing.
Yeah, it was linked on the last page and I was waiting for someone other than the WP to report. Basically Azar announced vaccines were being released from the reserve this week for 2nd doses, but the reserve had already been tapped and exhausted.

So yeah, whatever vaccination plans people had have just been torpedoed. I shouldn't be surprised, but here we are.
Correct me if I'm wrong but my read of the article makes me think people who got their first dose already are not in danger of missing a second dose, correct? This just means that X number of people who would have gotten their first dose in the coming month aren't getting it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm FWIW Massachusetts is apparently aiming to get to "phase 3" vaccinations (e.g., the general public) in April. Not really sure how on track we are for that, but we'll see.
Yesterday, I read that MA is in last place for vaccinations among the New England states. The explanation offered was that our public health system is too local-based. So, not great.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

raydude wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:31 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong but my read of the article makes me think people who got their first dose already are not in danger of missing a second dose, correct? This just means that X number of people who would have gotten their first dose in the coming month aren't getting it.
I can't say exactly, but I think that's a safe assumption. Really, the reserve was being released (as I've been made to understand) to try and guarantee enough doses were available to expand the pool of people that could be given an initial dose - which is why so many states opened the floodgates this week and expanded eligibility.

Now that states have told more people they're eligible, I look forward to receiving updated information about when exactly they can expect those doses to be provided. I hope it still follows the original "best case" scenario where the majority of people are vaccinated by 5/31, but I just don't know anymore.

At this point I think we're going to need to wait until Biden takes over and is able to have functioning adults review whatever smoldering carnage is left at HSS and give us all an update.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm FWIW Massachusetts is apparently aiming to get to "phase 3" vaccinations (e.g., the general public) in April. Not really sure how on track we are for that, but we'll see.
Yesterday, I read that MA is in last place for vaccinations among the New England states. The explanation offered was that our public health system is too local-based. So, not great.
First we can't get a decent pizza around here and now we can't get vaccines.

Massachusetts needs to get its shit together, on both fronts.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm At this point I think we're going to need to wait until Biden takes over and is able to have functioning adults review whatever smoldering carnage is left at HSS and give us all an update.
I don't have a lot of faith for that, not because of Biden's intention, but this whole thing has been an opaque nightmare from end to end. Expectations have been set at every level and then proven to be based on bogus numbers. If these blue governors and municipalites and the Pharma have been working against the opacity of the Fed, then why are they also giving us contradictory information at every corner. Biden could probably clear up the Fed's role quickly and set the tone... if he gets the manpower and the budget and the authority. I think he has will, the desire, but I don't have faith he'll be given the power and I don't think his will extends to seizing that authority and then exercising that authority to the states. I've been wrong about him enough before to not take his sense of taking on the burden of a nation for granted but I'm not seeing it.
Anonymous Bosch

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:27 pm L.A. County Supervisor Enraged Health Dept. Allows Clinics to Throw Unused Vaccines in the Trash
TMZ.com wrote:Update 4:27 PM PT -- We just got a call from the Dept. of Public Health. The spokesperson pointed us to this provision in the guidelines ... "Each group should be targeted with sufficient outreach and mobilization before proceeding to the next group. However, exceptions may be made in order to prevent any vaccine wastage." Here's the problem ... what exceptions? When a clinic has 800 doses at the end of the day, can a 30-year-old get a vaccine? Do they have to base exceptions on the priority lists? So, do they have to look for 800 70-year-olds before they move to the next group? It makes no sense, and there is no explanation.

The rep said the exceptions should be based on the priority groups, but that makes no sense. How are they going to find 800 70-plus-year-olds in 3 or 4 hours before the vaccines spoil? We called numerous clinics in L.A. County, and with one exception, they all said they could not give any vaccines to people who were not on the priority list. And, finally, as we reported, the Health Dept. had a closed meeting a week ago where they admitted they needed to clarify the rule and no punitive action would be taken until the rules were clarified. They have not clarified the rule at all.

---

The L.A. County Dept. of Public Health is allowing clinics to throw unused vaccines in the trash rather than inoculate thousands of residents who are desperate to get the shot, and it has enraged at least one county leader who is on a mission to reverse this insane policy.

L.A. County Supervisor Janice Hahn is reacting to a story TMZ broke last week, where a clinic administering the vaccine to health care workers ended the day with 150 unused vials of the COVID vaccine that were about to spoil ... because a huge number of people who signed up were no shows.

The clinic -- the Men's Health Foundation in Inglewood -- contacted people who were not on the priority list but desperately wanted the vaccine, and these folks got the remaining doses. Incredibly, that runs afoul of the County Health Dept's guidelines, which say ONLY people on the priority list should be vaccinated, EVEN IF THE VACCINES WOULD OTHERWISE END UP IN THE TRASH.

We worked this story for 4 days, and went back and forth with the Health Department, which never gave us an answer to our question -- ISN'T IT BETTER TO VACCINATE NON-PRIORITY RESIDENTS THAN THROW THE PRECIOUS VACCINES IN THE GARBAGE? We never got an official answer to that question, but sources who were on a call with the Health Dept. tell us they decided they would not take punitive action against clinics that replicated what the Men's Health Foundation did. But, that's a terrible solution.

Here's the problem ... the policy still says non-priority people cannot get the vaccine now, so clinics are essentially being told it's still wrong to vaccinate non-priority residents, even if the vaccines would otherwise go to waste. What's even worse, the County Health Dept. has NEVER EVEN STATED PUBLICLY THEY WOULD NOT TAKE ACTION AGAINST THESE CLINICS, so the fear is that vaccines are getting thrown in the garbage.

Supervisor Hahn is outraged, and wants the Health Dept. to get with the program and clarify this insane regulation ... IMMEDIATELY.

Fact is, the Department, led by Barbara Ferrer, has been utterly unprepared for the vaccine rollout, and folks inside her Dept. are enraged. There was no real plan for vaccinations, despite the fact everyone knew for months the vaccines were on the horizon.

To get real ... it defies common sense to throw these life-saving vaccines out rather than create a waiting list for ANYONE when there are unused vials that are no longer frozen and about to spoil.

This is probably an issue all over the country, and it must be addressed now ... as in NOW.
In related news…

California lags far behind the rest of U.S. in COVID vaccinations. What went wrong
SacBee.com wrote:The Sacramento Native American Health Center had vaccinated most of its staff against COVID-19 and was ready to move on to hundreds of sick and elderly clients.

But last week Sacramento County health officials vetoed the idea. The county had yet to finish giving shots to other healthcare workers and residents of long-term care facilities, who got top priority under California’s system for vaccinations. The Native American clinic’s clients would have to wait.

“That’s all the information I got. I didn’t get any specific dates,” said Wendy Calderon, the center’s director of health services.

California overhauled its coronavirus vaccine distribution plan Wednesday, a move designed to speed up a program that had been sputtering badly and trailed much of the rest of the country.

So far the state has vaccinated just 2,468 people per 100,000, a rate that falls well below the national average of about 3,300, according to federal data.

What went wrong? The tiered system for prioritizing vaccinations was arguably too complicated — and too cautious — for its own good. A software platform to help manage the vaccine program, supplied to the state by a nonprofit organization based in Maryland, has been criticized for being clunky. Confusion erupted about the opening of mass vaccination sites at places such as Sacramento’s Cal Expo.

Fewer doses of the vaccine arrived in California than anticipated. And, as much as anything, a health-care system that was already stretched by a fresh wave of coronavirus infections has been struggling with the added task of administering vaccinations.

Four weeks after vaccine distribution began, California has administered just 891,000 of its first 3.4 million shots, or barely 26%, according to data compiled by Bloomberg news.

The average across the country is 36%. Only Alabama, Georgia and Virginia have performed worse by percentage than California at exhausting their allotments.

That woeful performance could prove costly to California in the near future: The federal government is preparing to roll out fresh supplies under an allocation formula that it says will be based in part on how quickly the states have used up the supplies they’ve received so far.

AN ‘OVERLY CAUTIOUS’ VACCINE PROGRAM
California’s governor got right to the point.

In late December, shortly after the initial shipments of vaccine arrived, Newsom issued a stern warning to doctors thinking of letting friends or family members cut in line and get a vaccine before they were supposed to.

“I just want to make this crystal clear: If you skip the line or you intend to skip the line, you will be sanctioned, you will lose your license,” Newsom said during a press conference. “You will not only lose your license, we will be very aggressive in terms of highlighting the reputational impacts as well.”

Newsom’s warning set the tone: California was going to be careful about distributing the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

In line with recommendations from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state laid out a complicated tiered priority system that emphasized vaccinating Californians according to “risk, exposure and equity,” said Dr. Mark Ghaly, secretary of the state’s Health and Human Services Agency.

The state drew up an elaborate game plan for dissemination, with phases and tiers, delineating exactly what order people get the vaccine. The goal was to get to the highest-risk people first, and to assure equity, so that less advantaged people, such as essential farm workers and service industry staff, don’t get left behind.

In the top tier: healthcare workers and residents of skilled-nursing facilities, assisted-living facilities and other venues that house “medically vulnerable individuals.”

But instead of a clear pecking order, the result was confusion and a sluggish rollout. Anthony Wright, director of the California consumer advocacy group Health Access, said the “complexity of the messaging” about the tiers made medical providers uncertain and “overly cautious” about dispensing vaccines.

State officials acknowledged the process was probably too methodical. Ghaly told reporters Tuesday that the state’s approach “has led to some delays in getting vaccine out into our communities.”

After reports came out of some dosage waste, the Newsom administration tried to move the lines last week, telling county health officials they could consider giving doses to lower priority people if it meant avoiding wasting one of the doses from an open vial.

The landscape began changing dramatically Tuesday. The Trump administration, under fire for the slow distribution of the vaccines at the nationwide level, told the states to begin vaccinating seniors 65 and older.

The secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, in announcing the new plan, criticized states for not vaccinating seniors sooner.

“Some states’ heavy-handed micromanagement of this process has stood in the way of vaccines’ reaching a broader swath of the vulnerable population more quickly,” said Alex Azar, secretary of the federal Department of Health and Human Services. “There was never a reason that states needed to complete vaccinating all healthcare providers before opening vaccinations to older Americans and other vulnerable populations.”

Azar didn’t single out California, but state Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, said the state’s fixation on not vaccinating people out of the tiered priority order likely contributed to California’s slow distribution.

“That slows things down when you have all these tiers and subgroups,” Pan said. “We want to be equitable, at the same time the more layers we put there … that becomes really challenging especially as you move to start vaccinating the community. ... We’ve really got to step back and say, ‘How do we make it as simple as possible?’”
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
malchior

Post by malchior »

Azar has now resigned effective Jan 20 citing the insurrection last week. What courage.

Edit: His resignation letter is...wtf. What a piece of shit. He claims he wanted to resigned last week but also wants to stay to the end due to the pandemic. Who is the audience for this credulous horseshit?

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Burgess Hill-based IosBio has come up with a way to turn injected vaccines into orally administered tablets and is now working with Californian firm ImmunityBio to test the technology in clinical trials.

Clinical trials in monkeys have shown the oral vaccine made using iosBio technology to be highly effective. The jab version, developed by ImmunityBio, is already in phase two/three trials.

The oral vaccine will begin clinical trials on Americans this month and ImmunityBio is applying for regulatory approval to run tests in Britain too.

Approval remains many months away if it happens at all, but a pill-based vaccine would be far easier to transport and administer than injections and could drastically speed up the race to immunise the world's population.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... akthrough/
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Woop woop, I'm scheduled for a Pfizer vaccine next week on Friday! It looks like New Mexico is just starting to move from phase 1A (medical workers) to phase 1B, which includes teachers (me) and other "frontline essential workers".
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 am Vaccine Tracker
Updated: January 16, 2021, 1:47 AM EST

[..]

Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 13 million shots have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the last week, an average of 844,387 doses per day were administered.
Assuming that doesn't include vaccinations from previous days that were delayed in reporting, that's a significant improvement.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

As a resident of LA county, I hope one result of this pandemic is that the county gets chopped up into manageable pieces instead of the multi-state sized monstrosity that it is now. Yes if I were living in Orange County I could have an appointment for the vaccine now, but nope, not til early February for me. Folks 10M people is a lot of people to do anything that could affect all of them. It's a ridiculous number that never should have happened in the first place.
As an extreme disliker of TMZ, of course some vaccines are going to be lost. Again we are trying to vaccinate 40M Californians. If anyone thinks that means that 80M vaccines (or whatever number it ends up being) will go to all of the people on time without waste, they are nuts. TMZ is a headline grabber, fuck them.
(Also why is this thread not in the Everything Not Gaming thread??, do a lot of people here think that vaccinations are political?? Not understanding).
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hear theres still worries about getting a second dose in time. Id be worried about one dose and not the second.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is part of a bigger thread related to the issues surrounding the global rollout of the vaccines, largely correlated to high-income countries at the front of the line. But in terms of people asking when we can go "back to normal", remember that as long as the virus is circulating in different parts of the world, we're all at risk. This picture is an estimate as to when vaccines will be made widely available in the region selected. In short - trouble.

Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LA Times.
California’s top epidemiologist told healthcare providers on Sunday to stop using a batch of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine after a “higher than usual” number of people had apparent allergic reactions at a San Diego vaccination clinic.

Dr. Erica Pan, the state epidemiologist, said Sunday that “out of an extreme abundance of caution,” providers should stop using the doses until federal, state and company officials finish an investigation.

California has received about 330,000 doses from the Moderna lot in question — about 10% of all the vaccine, both Moderna’s and Pfizer’s, that have been distributed across the Golden State, officials said.

A “higher than usual” number of patients who received the vaccine appeared to be suffering from allergic reactions. Their symptoms were severe and required medical attention, Pan said.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not related to the allergy thing, but I'm alarmed at the number of people I've heard who are hesitant/don't plan on taking the vaccine because it might make them feel bad. Literally every time I mention the vaccine to my mom (who is over 65) I get some variation on "Well so-and-so got it and they had a headache the rest of the afternoon," or "I hear the second dose is what REALLY makes you feel bad for a day or two."

Yeah you're right, Mom. An afternoon headache and a sore arm are definitely not worth preventing your possible death on a ventilator, isolated from your family and friends. :grund:
Last edited by YellowKing on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:40 pm Not related to the allergy thing, but I'm alarmed at the number of people I've heard who are hesitant/don't plan on taking the vaccine because it might make them feel bad. Literally every time I mention the vaccine to my mom (who is over 65) I get some variation on "Well so-and-so got it and they had a headache the rest of the afternoon," or "I hear the second dose is what REALLY makes you feel bad for a day or two."

Yeah you're right, Mom. An afternoon headache and a sore arm after definitely not worth preventing your possible death on a ventilator, isolated from your family and friends. :grund:
What they don't seem to accept that this is your body reacting and learning to fight the right real thing, so those heavy symptoms likely mean you really weren't prepared for the real thing if it came your way. When my time comes, I plan to take vacation time around it, knowing that I always seem to be a the short end of the health stick.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 am (Also why is this thread not in the Everything Not Gaming thread??, do a lot of people here think that vaccinations are political?? Not understanding).
i'll notify a mod to have this moved to EBG
Anonymous Bosch

California braces for highly contagious new coronavirus variants as vaccinations lag
SFchronicle.com wrote:As California struggles to get potentially lifesaving vaccines into as many arms as possible, concern is mounting that the rapid spread of multiple, highly contagious variants of the coronavirus around the world could lead to another, perhaps deadlier surge.

So far there is no evidence that any of the more contagious variants are spreading widely in the United States, though at least one — a variant that took off in the United Kingdom — has been identified in a few dozen cases across the country, including in California.

But at some point soon the new U.K. variant — or another mutation of the virus, including one that might evade or partially evade coronavirus vaccines — could get a foothold and lead to a new spike in cases, even as California battles a surge that has caused 5,700 deaths statewide in just the first 14 days of the year.

“We’re really in a race now, and this only increases our urgency to mass vaccinate the population before additional variants evolve and emerge,” Dr. Charles Chiu, director of viral diagnostics at UCSF, said during a virtual presentation on Thursday.

It’s critical therefore to vaccinate wide swaths of the population as quickly as possible, and certainly much faster than the state has been, experts say.

Chiu’s presentation, part of a UCSF roundtable discussion, came amid growing concern about the discovery of several new variants many months into the pandemic. In addition to the U.K. variant, which has become the dominant virus type there, other troubling mutations have been found in South Africa and Brazil. The United Kingdom on Thursday banned flights from Latin America to prevent the Brazilian variant from entering the country. The U.K. already banned flights from South Africa to keep that variant at bay as much as possible.

The South African variant is especially concerning, Chiu said, because lab studies suggest it could at least partially evade the current coronavirus vaccines being deployed in the United States.
But courtesy of California's fuckwittery… (emphasis added)

Front Line Workers Head Out To Dodger Stadium To Receive COVID-19 Vaccine
losangeles.cbslocal.com wrote:LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Front line workers were packing into the parking lot at Dodger Stadium on Saturday to receive their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine at L.A.’s newest mass vaccination site.

“It’s awesome I think. We’ve been waiting for a long time and working with people that are ill or that might have it. It’s been kinda scary,” pharmacist Jeff Lee said.

Jeff Lee and his family run a pharmacy, and they were quick to make their appointments to get the shot.

“We made the appointment yesterday so I think if you have the correct documentation then it’s an easy process,” pharmacist Angie Lee said.

The vaccination site opened on Friday, giving out about 2,200 shots.

The Los Angeles Fire Department is in charge of logistics for the massive undertaking.

So far, L.A. County is still only focusing on vaccinating medical workers before moving on to other high-risk groups.

The Dodger Stadium vaccination site, which was once a massive testing location, will be closed on Monday for the Martin Luther King holiday and vaccines will continue being administered on Tuesday morning.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Dodger Stadium vaccination site, which was once a massive testing location, will be closed on Monday for the Martin Luther King holiday and vaccines will continue being administered on Tuesday morning.
Just sad. Is it not wanting to pay OT? Inability to adapt to the situation?

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant find the story again but it was about small towns in CA that really dont see COVID much and aren't worried so aren't getting vaccinated and such. Its nuts.

Also these stories....Id definately want the Pfizer one.

California official calls for pause on Moderna vaccine batch due to possible allergic reaction
California health officials are recommending providers pause the administration of a specific batch of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine due to possible allergic reactions that are under investigation.

California State Epidemiologist Dr. Erica S. Pan issued a statement on Sunday evening regarding batch '041L20A.'

"A higher-than-usual number of possible allergic reactions were reported with a specific lot of Moderna vaccine administered at one community vaccination clinic. Fewer than 10 individuals required medical attention over the span of 24 hours," Dr. Pan said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More than 40,000 in Florida overdue for 2nd dose of coronavirus vaccine
More than 40,000 people in Florida are overdue to receive their second dose of the coronavirus vaccine and officials say it is a problem some experts said they saw coming.“I heard there are some seniors balking at getting the second shot because they’ve heard that the side effects are worse with the second shot,” Seminole County EMS Medical Director Todd Husty said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moving topic to EBG at request of OP since it's managed to stay largely R&P free.

Please put any R&P comments in the R&P COVID Marathon thread.

Thanks.

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:49 pm
Just sad. Is it not wanting to pay OT? Inability to adapt to the situation?
Clearly, the only way to properly honour MLK jr. is to halt vaccinations that will save lives and prevent the infection of who-knows-how-many people of colour in the LA area in favour of a well-timed vacation.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So LA county is a fuckwit because they can't find enough workers who want to work the holiday? The workers who are there are volunteering for 10 hour shifts. Geezus, can anyone get some sort of empathy here? There's a lot wrong going on, but the fact that the workers want to be with their families on a holiday is not one of them, at least not to me.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Anonymous Bosch

Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 pm So LA county is a fuckwit because they can't find enough workers who want to work the holiday? The workers who are there are volunteering for 10 hour shifts. Geezus, can anyone get some sort of empathy here? There's a lot wrong going on, but the fact that the workers want to be with their families on a holiday is not one of them, at least not to me.
They're fuckwits because as the SF Chronicle put it above:
SFchronicle.com wrote:As California struggles to get potentially lifesaving vaccines into as many arms as possible, concern is mounting that the rapid spread of multiple, highly contagious variants of the coronavirus around the world could lead to another, perhaps deadlier surge.

So far there is no evidence that any of the more contagious variants are spreading widely in the United States, though at least one — a variant that took off in the United Kingdom — has been identified in a few dozen cases across the country, including in California.

But at some point soon the new U.K. variant — or another mutation of the virus, including one that might evade or partially evade coronavirus vaccines — could get a foothold and lead to a new spike in cases, even as California battles a surge that has caused 5,700 deaths statewide in just the first 14 days of the year.

“We’re really in a race now, and this only increases our urgency to mass vaccinate the population before additional variants evolve and emerge,” Dr. Charles Chiu, director of viral diagnostics at UCSF, said during a virtual presentation on Thursday.

It’s critical therefore to vaccinate wide swaths of the population as quickly as possible, and certainly much faster than the state has been, experts say.

Chiu’s presentation, part of a UCSF roundtable discussion, came amid growing concern about the discovery of several new variants many months into the pandemic. In addition to the U.K. variant, which has become the dominant virus type there, other troubling mutations have been found in South Africa and Brazil. The United Kingdom on Thursday banned flights from Latin America to prevent the Brazilian variant from entering the country. The U.K. already banned flights from South Africa to keep that variant at bay as much as possible.

The South African variant is especially concerning, Chiu said, because lab studies suggest it could at least partially evade the current coronavirus vaccines being deployed in the United States.
Meanwhile L.A. County opts for a vaccine-vacation day and has yet to even begin to vaccinate those facing the highest risk from the virus. Time is of the essence here as Dr. Chiu correctly observes, because as CNN describes it, Los Angeles County represents "the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in California."

I've also not seen or read any coverage that specifically indicates they were incapable of finding sufficient staff to work the holiday and while I do have empathy for those doing the work, I have more for those who will be sickened and dying a horrific, lonely death in isolation from this virus.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

THERES 10 FUCKING MILLION PEOPLE HERE! You can combine 7 FUCKING STATES TOGETHER AND THEY STLL AREN'T AS BIG AS LA COUNTY. 10 million people are exactly 10 million people. No one in the country is trying to vaccinate as many people as LA county is trying to vaccinate. No one. Believe it or not, vaccinating more people takes longer. Apparently it should all happen instantaneously but somehow it just can’t work that way. They are still vaccinating health care workers because unimaginably there are hundreds of thousands of health care workers here. Two friends of mine, a nurse practitioner and a chiropractor are still waiting for their vaccination. And since the county can’t force volunteers to work on a holiday, Dodger stadium closed for a day. Unbelievably Dodger stadium is not the only place doing vaccinations. So adding another near million more people simply brings more chaos and makes no sense. Plus they are almost out of vaccine anyway.

I don’t hear any complaints from people who actually understand the situation. I’d love to get vaccinated today but health care workers have to come first.

Also note that federal law prevents anyone using volunteers to force them to show up.

Lastly, weirdly enough, LA county knows how many people are sick with Covid, who’ve recovered from Covid and who’ve died of Covid. They get that information directly from the hospitals.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Can this thread be moved to R&P?
He/Him/His/Porcupine