tjg_marantz

When will AP call the race?

Post by tjg_marantz »

Have at it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Re: When will AP call the race?

Post by Holman »

I'd have to know the AP rules on this. Do they require a certain percentage of precincts reported or something?

I think the punditocracy will be calling it on Wednesday morning based on projections, so I voted for that.

For example, we won't know the PA totals, but the Secretary of State has said that they will be reporting the number of ballots remaining to be counted and (I believe) whether those ballots were requested by Democrats/Republicans/Independents. This will give us a strong sense of where the state is going.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

James Carville is confident we'll know the winner by 10pm. Godspeed James Carville. Godspeed.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As Holman said, I don't know what the AP rules are about calling it. But I think we'll have a good sense of the outcome by late tonight and will be pretty certain of the result by end of the day tomorrow. Of course, it could be even earlier if Biden wins Florida and/or North Carolina, which we should know tonight.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Someone from the AP was talking to NPR about how they call each race. It comes down to whether or not they believe the trailing candidate has enough potential votes remaining in order to come back. The extra mail in ballots complicate things this year, but they’ve always accounted for mail in ballots so it’s not like this is brand new territory for them.

If it comes down to PA, I don’t think we will have a call until Thursday or Friday.

I’ll be watching FL closely, specifically the returns in St Lucie county. It’s a blue-leaning county, and the democratic candidate has won going back to at least the 2000 election (I didn’t look back past that). Except for 2016 when Trump won with 49% of the vote.

If Trump is able to keep that number, or improve on it at all, then I think he will win FL and we’ll be in for a long drawn out process. If Biden wins the county by a narrow margin, I think that also bodes well for Trump to carry the state.

But if Biden wins with 53%+ of the vote here, I think they will call FL for Biden at some point during the night and increase the chance of us knowing if Biden is president-elect by tomorrow.

We should start to see results in St Lucie before 8pm, and all of the precincts tend to report by 9 or 10. I’ll be refreshing SLCelections.com from 7pm on.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

msteelers wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:08 am
I’ll be watching FL closely, specifically the returns in St Lucie county. It’s a blue-leaning county, and the democratic candidate has won going back to at least the 2000 election (I didn’t look back past that). Except for 2016 when Trump won with 49% of the vote.

If Trump is able to keep that number, or improve on it at all, then I think he will win FL and we’ll be in for a long drawn out process. If Biden wins the county by a narrow margin, I think that also bodes well for Trump to carry the state.

But if Biden wins with 53%+ of the vote here, I think they will call FL for Biden at some point during the night and increase the chance of us knowing if Biden is president-elect by tomorrow.

We should start to see results in St Lucie before 8pm, and all of the precincts tend to report by 9 or 10. I’ll be refreshing SLCelections.com from 7pm on.
So, you basically feel the entire election* hinges on the results in your St Lucie area?

* well, a great deal of it....
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

No, just that this area is an indication of how the rest of the state will go.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

What time zone?

I don't see the race being called before 11pm EST, since any Biden win would likely have to wait until California finishes voting (there are not enough quick counting battleground states for Biden to be able to get over 270 without Californias EVs.).

I think if it's a large Biden victory, I think it gets declared Wednesday or possibly Thursday. If it's a close Biden or Trump victory, it'll be Thursday or later.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I vot d Thursday but what is "calling the race" exactly? Declaring a winner or calling all the electoral votes?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:00 pm I vot d Thursday but what is "calling the race" exactly? Declaring a winner or calling all the electoral votes?
I would imagine declaring a winner after having declared enough states that at least 270 electoral votes have been declared for one candidate.

(And declaring a state wouldn't require all the voters votes be counted unless the race looks at least somewhat competitive, since some states are called within a minute or two of the voting being finished)
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Working overnight with three channels on at the same time has been something else... Long way to go.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Two people voted for Friday - looks like a winner.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 am Two people voted for Friday - looks like a winner.
We're going to have to retract that call. It looks like it's those who chose "any time after".
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:35 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 am Two people voted for Friday - looks like a winner.
We're going to have to retract that call. It looks like it's those who chose "any time after".
Booyah! Though I lost my other one in a different group where I predicted the 9th.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

That was a ride LoL.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Defiant wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:35 pm
I win! I never win these polls. Combined with the Biden win, this is a pretty good day!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳