2020 Election Results

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

dbt1949

Re: 2020 Election Results

Post by dbt1949 »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 pm After four years of complete and utter worthlessness, I’m very excited to have Dr Jill as FLOTUS.

She’s awesome.
Probably safe to say she's the first Dr. to be First Lady.

Also, she plans to keep a full-time job while First Lady. That will apparently be a first.
You forget Dr Bartlett.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kushner asked a group of political advisers to go to White House to explain to Trump the "small chances of changing the outcome of the election," but declined to go with them himself.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He is afraid of his wallet in law.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 pm After four years of complete and utter worthlessness, I’m very excited to have Dr Jill as FLOTUS.

She’s awesome.

Also, she plans to keep a full-time job while First Lady. That will apparently be a first.
I like the sound of "Dr. Jill Biden," but I keep seeing people assume she's a medical doctor. She's an Ed.D.

One open question is what to call Douglas Emhoff (Harris' husband). I guess he'll be the "Second Gentleman," but that's a little odd with no "First Gentleman."

Have all presidents so far also been "First Gentleman" all along?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Not the last one, anyways.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:44 pm
Alefroth wrote:

She’s awesome.

Clinton has a JD.
Huh, didn't have to go back too far.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:41 pm

She’s awesome.

I like the sound of "Dr. Jill Biden," but I keep seeing people assume she's a medical doctor. She's an Ed.D.

One open question is what to call Douglas Emhoff (Harris' husband). I guess he'll be the "Second Gentleman," but that's a little odd with no "First Gentleman."

I knew she was an educator.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jewish boys across the country now know that they, too, can grow up to become the Second Gentleman. :wub:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:57 pm

She’s awesome.

I knew she was an educator.
I didn't mean you. It's a common error on social media.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman

Post by Holman »

They're down to Matt Schlapp as spokesman for this buffoonery.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But..his laptop!

Edit: Garbage like this is clearly only Qanon fodder to keep the base riled up.
Last edited by Jaymann on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Biden just increased his total in AZ...so maybe it'll hold up. Some people are lumping this result on Trump's comment about McCain. Probably true but it didn't hurt that the Democrats had a relatively well-known Senatorial candidate on the ticket too.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think at this point it's pretty safe to say Arizona will hold which makes me happy. Any extra buffer between Trump is a good thing.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:41 pmI like the sound of "Dr. Jill Biden," but I keep seeing people assume she's a medical doctor. She's an Ed.D.

If it was a joke, sorry for not recognizing it was. Assuming it's a serious question I think the First Gentleman is the husband of the President. The reason it might sound odd is we haven't ever had someone be the husband of the President. If Hilary had won, Bill Clinton would have been the first First Gentleman. If Harris eventually becomes President, her husband will be the first First Gentleman and first Second Gentleman the country has had. He has the potential to hit for the cycle. If he serves as her Vice President, then becomes President himself, he will have been President, Vice President, First Gentleman, and Second Gentleman. That would be the ultimate 'achievement unlocked' in US politics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:22 am
YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 am And I bet she loves Christmas.
You weren't a fan of Melania's Nightmare Before Everything look?
I give it 6 months after Donny is dragged out of the WH before we start hearing rumblings of a divorce. Then another couple of months before the separation announcement.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't think it will last unless it's remote. It would turn the community college into a circus. Armed Secret Service in the classroom, campus on perpetual lockdown...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:22 pm

Don't think it will last unless it's remote. It would turn the community college into a circus. Armed Secret Service in the classroom, campus on perpetual lockdown...
Even so, the fact that there's someone in the White House who has taught for years at a community college(!) makes available a very dramatic change in perspective.

Most administration officials, members of congress, judges, and top staffers have graduated from Ivy League or other top-funded schools. They almost never encountered a fellow student from an underprivileged background at all, but Jill Biden has taught classrooms full of them.

(I teach part-time at a private university but I'm also a librarian at a community college. The latter has changed so many of my assumptions about education and the economy.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Weird flex of the day - I've now seen several pundits saying the election wasn't close and it was just a mirage because the count was slow. If you are talking Popular Vote, yes. However, 58 EVs were won by a range of 0.2 - 0.6% or so. That's statistically damn near a tie. It could have easily fallen Trump's way on a different day. We got damn lucky that so many people put in hard work because otherwise it could have been lost.

Example:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 pm Weird flex of the day - I've now seen several pundits saying the election wasn't close and it was just a mirage because the count was slow. If you are talking Popular Vote, yes. However, 58 EVs were won by a range of 0.2 - 0.6% or so. That's statistically damn near a tie. It could have easily fallen Trump's way on a different day. We got damn lucky that so many people put in hard work because otherwise it could have been lost.

Example:

I think part of this effect was in those past elections states were not as entrenched as today. Biden had to receive the most votes in history just to eke out the EC victory. But Trump's margins in 2016 were even less. I think the dynamic is changing as the stakes become ever higher. I don't think we are likely to see any more 49 to 1 state victory blowouts.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The popular vote is really closer than it appears too. Take away California's Biden advantage, then realize what's left came from everywhere else. Biden's advantage looks thin from that perspective. Not only was this not a landslide, it wasn't a beating either. It wasn't a knock out. It wasn't decisive. It was close, real close. That's scary as fark to think about.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:56 am The popular vote is really closer than it appears too. Take away California's Biden advantage, then realize what's left came from everywhere else. Biden's advantage looks thin from that perspective. Not only was this not a landslide, it wasn't a beating either. It wasn't a knock out. It wasn't decisive. It was close, real close. That's scary as fark to think about.
Umm... why would you take away Biden's CA advantage if we're talking about the popular vote? It's not the popular vote then, is it?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Get ready for vote fraud truthers. There has been "data scientists" pouring over a data feed and pointing out vote count irregularities. Their source of truth? The NYT data API. They are scraping it and then finding moments where irregular data appears in the vote tallies. As if the NY Times data was authoritative. Oy vey.

Edit: I went down the rabbit hole. Their proof of fraud? They are mostly easily explained patterns in the data. As an example, late ballot counts in PA drifted heavily Democratic when earlier it was far more even. If only there was a widely reported mechanism at play there. Nope must be super duper fraud!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:56 am The popular vote is really closer than it appears too. Take away California's Biden advantage, then realize what's left came from everywhere else. Biden's advantage looks thin from that perspective. Not only was this not a landslide, it wasn't a beating either. It wasn't a knock out. It wasn't decisive. It was close, real close. That's scary as fark to think about.
I don't get taking away California. They are 10% of the population. However, it was still close, real close and that's scary. 4 million out of 145 million is close. Far too close when we see what this election was about and that you can close the popular vote by that much and lose.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:43 pm Biden just increased his total in AZ...so maybe it'll hold up. Some people are lumping this result on Trump's comment about McCain. Probably true but it didn't hurt that the Democrats had a relatively well-known Senatorial candidate on the ticket too.
Kelly won decisively in the Senate race, so Democrats have now won two senate races and a presidential race in 2020, and came close in AZ in 2016. Occam's razor is just that Arizona is trending Democratic, and while a swing state arguably swings very slightly Democratic.

Not that going to war with McCain helped him.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:56 pm I don't think we are likely to see any more 49 to 1 state victory blowouts.
But even that one (if we mean Reagan-Mondale) wasn't as close as the EC makes it appear.

It was basically Reagan 59% to Mondale 41%. A landslide, but not the complete erasure the map looks like.
Holman

Post by Holman »

When will the Four Seasons Total Landscaping fiasco get its own series?

Man featured at Giuliani press conference is a convicted sex offender.
The first person Rudy Giuliani, the attorney for President Donald Trump, called up as a witness to baseless allegations of vote counting shenanigans in Philadelphia during a press conference last week is a sex offender who for years has been a perennial candidate in New Jersey.

“It’s such a shame. This is a democracy,” Daryl Brooks, who said he was a GOP poll watcher, said at the press conference, held at Four Seasons Total Landscaping in Northeast Philadelphia. “They did not allow us to see anything. Was it corrupt or not? But give us an opportunity as poll watchers to view all the documents — all of the ballots.”

Trenton political insiders watched with bemusement as Brooks took the podium.

Brooks was incarcerated in the 1990s on charges of sexual assault, lewdness and endangering the welfare of a minor for exposing himself to two girls ages 7 and 11, according to news accounts.

Brooks has run for various offices, including U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In a stunning surprise, Putin won't acknowledge Biden's victory while Trump is pursuing his bogus legal challenges. He didn't even have to sick his Iranian social media dogs to create this chaos.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:56 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:44 pm
Alefroth wrote:

She’s awesome.

Clinton has a JD.
Huh, didn't have to go back too far.
And didn't even have to go that far... Michelle Obama?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Wow, yeah. I was clearly way off.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:52 am
Umm... why would you take away Biden's CA advantage if we're talking about the popular vote? It's not the popular vote then, is it?
We are talking about a national election, all the territory where voting is legal. By looking at the total popular votes a person might get the impression that the large Biden advantage represents numbers across the nation. This can be true sometimes, but not in this election. The numbers I see in New York show Biden with less than a million more votes than Trump, and that's in a highly populated state where almost 56% of the votes went to Biden. If you were to double NY's numbers, to simulate a vote if NY had the same population as California, Biden still doesn't get anywhere near as many more votes there as in CA. California is not representative of how close this election was is my point.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Agreed. Seems too risky considering how fanatic the opposition has become.

Maybe she could get a full time job as Secretary of Education.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:20 pm
We are talking about a national election, all the territory where voting is legal. By looking at the total popular votes a person might get the impression that the large Biden advantage represents numbers across the nation. This can be true sometimes, but not in this election. The numbers I see in New York show Biden with less than a million more votes than Trump, and that's in a highly populated state where almost 56% of the votes went to Biden. If you were to double NY's numbers, to simulate a vote if NY had the same population as California, Biden still doesn't get anywhere near as many more votes there as in CA. California is not representative of how close this election was is my point.
It makes sense if you want to argue that Biden's support is not evenly distributed across the country, which is true. In terms of measuring Biden's support across the population, however, it doesn't seem to matter where in the country it comes from.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The Biden advantage does represent numbers across the nation. If we are talking about the popular vote, I don't know why states even come into it at all.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Agreed. Seems too risky considering how fanatic the opposition has become.

Maybe she could get a full time job as Secretary of Education.
Not sure how serious you are with this, but I would suggest that now is exactly the wrong time for Biden to start filling his cabinet with family members.

One of the things that makes me overjoyed about Trump’s loss is the mass eviction of Trumps and Trump-in-laws from our government. Nepotism sucks. It’s one of the first, best ways to identify a shitty and corrupt government.

Dr. Jill seems great and may well be super qualified to be Secretary of Education, but the optics would be awful.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:26 pm
The Biden advantage does represent numbers across the nation. If we are talking about the popular vote, I don't know why states even come into it at all.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

What happens to Trump if you remove Texas from the equation? See how stupid this is?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Can we see what happens to Trump if you remove Trump from the equation?

I'm not making a point, I just want Trump removed from the equation. :ninja:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:41 pm What happens to Trump if you remove Texas from the equation? See how stupid this is?
Amazingly, Texas is only about as impactful to Trump's popular vote absolute # as is Alabama. (~600k lead in each state) The 'wonderers' are absolutely correct that there is no similar 'but if you remove state X, what happens to Biden's lead!?' for Trump. There's no handful of states which combined have the impact on Trump that just CA has on Biden, in fact.

They're still dumb to ask the question, but...
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:53 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:41 pm What happens to Trump if you remove Texas from the equation? See how stupid this is?
Amazingly, Texas is only about as impactful to Trump's popular vote absolute # as is Alabama. (~600k lead in each state) The 'wonderers' are absolutely correct that there is no similar 'but if you remove state X, what happens to Biden's lead!?' for Trump. There's no handful of states which combined have the impact on Trump that just CA has on Biden, in fact.

They're still dumb to ask the question, but...
You should do the same thing with a region with the same population as CA. There was a tweet that showed regions with the same population and Senators for each. Try it with that.

I agree it's a dumb question though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles