2020 Election Results

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: 2020 Election Results

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe the world will just end and we can forget about it.

In other election news the mayor of a little 1 red light town in the county over from me who was running for reelection died today on election day. He was 80 years old and had been mayor for 30 years.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:34 pm NYT is saying NC 88% likely for Trump, but WaPo and NPR aren't showing that.
That is because the counties outstanding are mostly breaking for Biden at the moment. It'll be close though.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I read that a Qanon supporter got elected to the House of Reps in Georgia. In any other previous election, including 2016, that would be the most 'wtf' voting result to me. Then I realized 'wtf' doesn't have the same meaning anymore.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Also elected tonight was Madison Cawthorn who is essentially an out in the open white supremecist.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Not sure the painkiller cocktail is going to cut it, ugh.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Also elected tonight was Madison Cawthorn who is essentially an out in the open white supremecist.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:36 pm I read that a Qanon supporter got elected to the House of Reps in Georgia. In any other previous election, including 2016, that would be the most 'wtf' voting result to me. Then I realized 'wtf' doesn't have the same meaning anymore.
She was running unopposed...not that it would have mattered in that area.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:27 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:15 pm
wonderpug wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:11 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:03 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:00 pm I got a bad feeling about this. :(
Very. Trying not to doomscroll, but it's difficult. Even if Biden wins, it's going to be by a very close margin.

My hope for the future of America decreases by the minute tonight.
And this makes tonight depressing even if Biden wins. I don’t know if my opinion of humans in general can get much lower.
Seriously my opinion of people has dropped so much the last 4 years it's not even funny. That includes my father who wonders why I don't want to come visit. F off
You will have politics forever. My own father passed last Dec after a short/sudden cancer. We did not always get along (esp re:politics) but I'm glad for every moment I got with him those last few months. YMMV, of course.
I guess I’m lucky in that my father doesn’t care about politics. If you’re nice, he likes you. It’s a refreshingly simple and lovable way to live....one I wish I could emulate more.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What does nice mean, though?

Can you be nice if you're polite to people but think that Blacks are inferior and gays shouldn't marry?
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:42 pm I guess I’m lucky in that my father doesn’t care about politics. If you’re nice, he likes you. It’s a refreshingly simple and lovable way to live....one I wish I could emulate more.
My pop was active in Clinton's ground team in Iowa in 2008. When I told him that I though it was "time" for Obama we didn't talk for a long time. At the end, politics was not on his top 10 list.

NC still looks like a dead heat (20k Biden lead).
Last edited by Yojimbo on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:44 pm What does nice mean, though?

Can you be nice if you're polite to people but think that Blacks are inferior and gays shouldn't marry?
I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you unintentionally insinuated my father is a racist homophobe.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Graham wins reelection in SC.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That one hurts. I really wanted Graham to lose. :x
He won. Period.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

CNN’s King has GOT to stop with the “pulling out” comments! Getting way to R rated for me.
Looking forward to Showtime’s Colbert show and another glass of whiskey!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:00 pm Graham wins reelection in SC.
Someone (538 maybe) had some interesting analysis about how lots of small money individual donors are far less strategic than big money donors. The big “grassroots” campaigns didn’t fare very well at all.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

just kill me.

data my friend in France is sending me....
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think we're done. He's pulled a ton of latino votes in every state. Pack it up we're fucked
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
MHS

Post by MHS »

Yeah, we're done. JFC.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Latinos carrying Trump to victory is the most 2020 thing ever.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

It's not over yet. If you compare 2016 map to 2020 map - Trump is not going to have that kind of sweep again.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 pm Latinos carrying Trump to victory is the most 2020 thing ever.
It's baffling but keep in mind that many mail-in votes are still outstanding. It's too early yet.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:03 pm
Defiant wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:00 pm Graham wins reelection in SC.
Someone (538 maybe) had some interesting analysis about how lots of small money individual donors are far less strategic than big money donors. The big “grassroots” campaigns didn’t fare very well at all.
Yeah because they were largely from 'out of state' where big money uses their power to influence the people who'll actually vote. It is not hard to figure out.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I still think we're seeing the red mirage.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's a shit show. Everything is pointing to Trump winning at this point. If we thought there was a blue wave it was all delusion as it's not appearing on the map right now. They obviously ignored an entire base of people that we didn't consider and it's going to cost us our future. That's awesome..
Last edited by Octavious on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jones loses in Alabama.

Not surprising, but disappointing none-the-less.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Even if Trump should actually win, he'll likely be facing a far less friendly Senate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 pm It's a shit show. Everything is pointing to Trump winning at this point. If we thought there was a blue wave it was all delusion as it's not appearing on the map right now. They obviously ignored an entire base of people that we didn't consider and it's going to cost us our future. That's awesome..
The mail in vote was always going to be delayed and break heavily Democratic. That is why it is too early. All the early stuff was always going to favor Trump. That is actually now an acute worry because he might claim victory tonight while PA might take days to count and be pivotal.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 pm Yeah I still think we're seeing the red mirage.
What’s this mean?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:14 pm Even if Trump should actually win, he'll likely be facing a far less friendly Senate.
That is not a scenario that'll matter. Even a Democratic Senate won't stop the President saying no to all oversight.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:15 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 pm Yeah I still think we're seeing the red mirage.
What’s this mean?
In person voting was always going to be Trump-y and they are counted first.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 pm Jones loses in Alabama.

Not surprising, but disappointing none-the-less.
Tuberville. Good lord.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's dispiriting, but not definitive yet. As of around 20 min ago CNN still showed Biden with narrow leads in NC, OH, and TX. I'm disappointed in MI, though. Hoping that the early results aren't showing greater Detroit, where Biden will get most of his votes.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Florida pulling so hard for him is VERY distressing and NC is now flipping hard to Trump. It's everything I've seen that there are a lot more Trump supporters than people realize. It's a fucking cult. I would love to come in tomorrow and realize I'm wrong, but I really don't think I am. We're fucking screwed.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 pm
It's dispiriting, but not definitive yet. As of around 20 min ago CNN still showed Biden with narrow leads in NC, OH, and TX. I'm disappointed in MI, though. Hoping that the early results aren't showing greater Detroit, where Biden will get most of his votes.
It's SE Michigan and in-person voting. That is why it hasn't incremented in some time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If Trump does win, every pollster in America should just find another career.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 pm Florida pulling so hard for him is VERY distressing and NC is now flipping hard to Trump. It's everything I've seen that there are a lot more Trump supporters than people realize. It's a fucking cult. I would love to come in tomorrow and realize I'm wrong, but I really don't think I am. We're fucking screwed.
This is true. We're clearly not seeing a repudiation of Trump. Maybe that'll change but we were expecting this to be sharper. Also perhaps expectations were too high for an early landslide and a landslide *still might happen*. We've been expecting that this election might take days but people are throwing in the towel at 10 PM before the mail-in votes have really started coming in.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Naw won't be over til at least Ohio and Michigan are in and they aren't in yet that I saw? And yes you are seeing why Trump wants(ed) the election to be done tonight, the blue wave will show up later if it does show up. Cuban Hispanics are intensely Republican because of Castro, they've been like that for generations.

Yes this is my first post here but it's not in a totally flammable thread so I thought it was safe.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for braving these waters Lorini, your input is greatly appreciated.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:22 pm Thanks for braving these waters Lorini, your input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

More "In case you still harbored any hope of getting a projection in Pennsylvania tonight, 274,000 mail ballots in Philadelphia County won’t be counted until tomorrow at the earliest. These votes are likely to be overwhelmingly for Biden." So PA is still in play and it's really the key now that FL seems to be solidly Trump (although not called which suggests there's a Dem county that is still being counted, but I don't know).
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I'm with Malc on this one - it's still too early for despair. Biden can very much still win this. (though I do think any hope of a landslide is more or less gone)

But yeah, the country is clearly NOT rejecting Trump outright. Even if Biden ultimately prevails, we Democrats are going to have to answer some hard questions about what went wrong. Particularly with Hispanics.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."