John James honors campaign promise.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

John James honors campaign promise.

Post by Little Raven »

Good on him.
Despite losing his bid to represent Michigan in the U.S. Senate as a Republican, John James is keeping a campaign promise.

On Monday, the John James for Senate campaign announced it's giving $100,000 to help restaurant workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

In May, James vowed to give a nickel of every dollar he raised for his campaign to charitable organizations.

"Politicians in the 2020 cycle are going to be raising billions of dollars to convince people they care about their communities and not a nickel of it will go to help Michiganders," James said at the time in a statement. "But I thought, ‘Why wait? Why not start doing good on Day One.'"
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
LordMortis

Re: John James honors campaign promise.

Post by LordMortis »

I want to like James. His service record begs me to listen at least hear him out. Lord knows I'm not a fan of Peters or Stabenow but James endorses too many GOP positions that I consider deal breakers. For that matter even if I did like him, I'm having a hard time seeing the situation where I vote for any R. They have a lot of demonstrable penance to do before I'm not a partisan voter/abstainer.

James compassion is a start.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:39 pm I want to like James. His service record begs me to listen at least hear him out. Lord knows I'm not a fan of Peters or Stabenow but James endorses too many GOP positions that I consider deal breakers. For that matter even if I did like him, I'm having a hard time seeing the situation where I vote for any R. They have a lot of demonstrable penance to do before I'm not a partisan voter/abstainer.

James compassion is a start.
He threw whole heartedly in with Devos and Trump when he tried for Senate the first time then when that backfired he tried to hide his connections to them the second time. I'll never vote for him because he has already shown himself to be two faced in the regard.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:17 pm He threw whole heartedly in with Devos and Trump when he tried for Senate the first time then when that backfired he tried to hide his connections to them the second time. I'll never vote for him because he has already shown himself to be two faced in the regard.
He was pretty openly in support of Trumpublicanism this last run as well but that is the GOP now. I believe he made concessions, especially as family business owner who can find it very easy to align with those who with capital's desire to vote themselves more capital in the name of freedom. What has seemingly been the GOP as a whole making concessions to stay unified as they collectively get worse and worse is why I've become a partisan voter, even if I'm not a democrat.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 pm
Remus West wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:17 pm He threw whole heartedly in with Devos and Trump when he tried for Senate the first time then when that backfired he tried to hide his connections to them the second time. I'll never vote for him because he has already shown himself to be two faced in the regard.
He was pretty openly in support of Trumpublicanism this last run as well but that is the GOP now. I believe he made concessions, especially as family business owner who can find it very easy to align with those who with capital's desire to vote themselves more capital in the name of freedom. What has seemingly been the GOP as a whole making concessions to stay unified as they collectively get worse and worse is why I've become a partisan voter, even if I'm not a democrat.
He ran a lot of ads towards the end of the campaign saying "Gary Peters you're not running against Devos or Trump, you're running against me". The "I'm my own man" type thing trying to gain separation from trump/devos.
I don't mind politicians changing their positions when they learn something new but he changed his position in ad only as he continued to attend huge fund raisers given by devos family and to support trumpism as a whole. To me that just makes him a liar and someone simply doing anything he can to gain power. Which, of course, makes him fit right in with trumpism.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hopefully that $100K does some good. Restaurant workers are getting screwed.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's nice that a Senate candidate was able to raise some money for restaurant workers, but the Mayor of Flavortown has raised over $20MM for them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:38 am It's nice that a Senate candidate was able to raise some money for restaurant workers, but the Mayor of Flavortown has raised over $20MM for them.
The fund is closed (for now) so no harm in someone else helping the cause.

The need is really staggering.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The other thing that just occurred to me when thinking about this is his pledge was to donate $.05 for every dollar raised by his campaign. So by donating $100,000 he is saying his campaign only raised $2 million. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. Where are the rest of the nickels he promised to donate?

edit: Propublica shows him as having raised $48.3 million dollars. So, as nice as the $100k donation is he is still falling over $2.3 million dollars short of his pledge.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:49 pm The other thing that just occurred to me when thinking about this is his pledge was to donate $.05 for every dollar raised by his campaign. So by donating $100,000 he is saying his campaign only raised $2 million. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. Where are the rest of the nickels he promised to donate?

edit: Propublica shows him as having raised $48.3 million dollars. So, as nice as the $100k donation is he is still falling over $2.3 million dollars short of his pledge.
According to his campaign website, he's already given to other charities. Over $1M according to the site. The restaurant workers are one of several recipients.

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:08 pm
Remus West wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:49 pm The other thing that just occurred to me when thinking about this is his pledge was to donate $.05 for every dollar raised by his campaign. So by donating $100,000 he is saying his campaign only raised $2 million. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. Where are the rest of the nickels he promised to donate?

According to his campaign website, he's already given to other charities. Over $1M according to the site. The restaurant workers are one of several recipients.
So, according to his site, he is slightly under halfway there. I hope he keeps it up. I just have zero faith in him.