Hunting Hunter

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Hunting Hunter

Post by Kraken »

Is there any "there" there? Will the DOJ investigation quietly go away in January?

If Hunter Biden is guilty of tax fraud or any other serious crimes, then he should face justice just as anyone else. And the incoming DOJ should investigate tax fraud vigorously amidst all other particularly egregious violators. I can suggest one.
Holman

Re: Hunting Hunter

Post by Holman »

I feel pretty certain that President Biden wouldn't interfere with an investigation.

But I hope an indictment of the president's son will blast away any lingering qualms about investigating the Trumps.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Doesn't tax fraud at the federal level fall under the jurisdiction of the IRS criminal division though? I'm all for investigating if there is anything really there but shouldn't the people who specialize in that type of work be the ones doing the investigating?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

The whole thing is an ethical quagmire. The IRS enforcement and auditing capability has been decimated on purpose by the GOP. The only reason this is a thing is because of a scummy political harassment campaign against his father while the worst perpetrators including Trump himself escape accountability. It really is starting to appear that the rich and powerful only face consequences when they step on the toes of some other rich or powerful persons. It is a recipe for increasing political corruption. As if we needed more enablement of lawlessness in this broken, twisted system by encouraging people to play by the powerful's rules. This is the other side of the coin of Trump's deeply corrupt pardons/commutations.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think there's a decent chance that there's little merit to the investigation, but that the leak is timed to give another landmine to the Biden administration. E.g., the new administration and AG comes in, the Hunter Biden investigation dies, and the GOP uses that to claim that the Biden administration killed the investigation. Which would help muddy the water and generate "both sides" type columns to worsen the political environment surrounding any corruption prosecutions by the Biden administration.

Hard to say for sure, though. We'll see how it plays out.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I believe that under the new norms and guidelines for presidential behavior, Biden is obligated to incite rioting by right-wing activists to a point where he gets to tear gas them on live television and order police to beat them senseless. From there the rulebook dictates blame levied at the GOP for event thinking about it, nuclear Tweets, and asking any allied countries to intervene. Any and all involved parties are subject to immediate pardon, and every "opposing" news agency needs to be called out as fake and failing.

... at least... I think that's the new rules. It's all so swampy.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

But what if the right-wing rioters are the police?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch