Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 am Hosting it in Russia isn't going to make it reappear in the app stores for the most popular devices.

When Russia becomes the place you have to hang your bullhorn because everyone else kicked you out, you should probably reassess your values.
It however gives these guys a 'web friendly' place to make first contact and then switch over to encrypted communication apps.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 am Hosting it in Russia isn't going to make it reappear in the app stores for the most popular devices.

When Russia becomes the place you have to hang your bullhorn because everyone else kicked you out, you should probably reassess your values.
It however gives these guys a 'web friendly' place to make first contact and then switch over to encrypted communication apps.
When then puts them on the same footing as ISIS, right?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am

When then puts them on the same footing as ISIS, right?
Similar. It is also close to how other 'dark web' marketplaces work too. You need a place to share the link to get in the door so to speak. It won't have a blinking light that says 'Click here for insurrection' but it is a point of exposure into the network. In that way this move helps. The NSA has a mandate to monitor these type of communications.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AP: 2 National Guard members have been found to have ties to fringe right group militias and have been removed from mission to protect inauguration
Ok, keep going. Also, remove them from service completely.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JUST IN: Sen. McConnell on US Capitol insurrection:

"The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like."
If only the Senate could have done something shortly after this happened on 1/6. Can you imagine if there was some type of mechanism to make sure someone this dangerous wasn't still able to sit in the Oval Office and continue to cause problems for another 2 weeks?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:06 pm
AP: 2 National Guard members have been found to have ties to fringe right group militias and have been removed from mission to protect inauguration
I think we want to tread carefully here lest we become what we're trying to fight. "Ties" to fringe groups may be enough to pull them off precious cargo detail but if, say, they have a brother in the Proud Boys or have posted on a fringe website is that really enough to drum them out of reserve service?

Sure, if they're card carrying members of Nazi Liberation Front or whatever, kick them out. But let's not go all Muslim ban here. We can't just cancel every white guy with an operator beard and Gruntnstyle t-shirt.

OTOH it's still worth deep vetting because there are undoubtedly white nationalist infiltrators in the Reserves (and everywhere else).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:If only the Senate could have done something shortly after this happened on 1/6.
Or, you know, Mitch could have stood up immediately after the election and spoken out against Trump's claim of voter fraud. Instead he said Trump should be free and clear to pursue all investigations of the claims he now calls "lies." For weeks. He shares as much responsibility for this as anyone, and acting the white knight at the 11th hour doesn't wash the blood from his hands.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Smoove_B wrote:If only the Senate could have done something shortly after this happened on 1/6.
Or, you know, Mitch could have stood up immediately after the election and spoken out against Trump's claim of voter fraud. Instead he said Trump should be free and clear to pursue all investigations of the claims he now calls "lies." For weeks. He shares as much responsibility for this as anyone, and acting the white knight at the 11th hour doesn't wash the blood from his hands.
It's like the end of a lot of action movies/games. The hero defeats the big bad tough guy but the simpering mastermind makes his last desperate attempt to escape, ether setting up a satisfying finish when he gets his just due, or escaping to set up the sequel.

Bad news: we're getting a sequel.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:28 pmBad news: we're getting a sequel.
And we're getting it even if they have to recast the villain.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:28 pmBad news: we're getting a sequel.
And we're getting it even if they have to recast the villain.
And they are lining up for the casting call:

Lyin' Ted
Little Marco
Josh "Boss Hog" Hawley
Mike Pompouso
MeinPillow crack whore
Lindsey "Cracker" Graham
Kevin "Joey Jr." McCarthy

If it sounds like a Mafia mob, well...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:04 pm
I think we want to tread carefully here lest we become what we're trying to fight. "Ties" to fringe groups may be enough to pull them off precious cargo detail but if, say, they have a brother in the Proud Boys or have posted on a fringe website is that really enough to drum them out of reserve service?
I somehow doubt "ties" includes having a kookie brother running around dressed in a Confederate Flag. I'd put money on it being active posting in known vectors associated with these groups.

I'm totally okay with bumping people from positions of authority who show up as participants in domestic terrorism and/or racist hate groups.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Up to about a dozen now - the good news is they are vetting them. The bad news is we have problems.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sure, if they're card carrying members of Nazi Liberation Front or whatever, kick them out. But let's not go all Muslim ban here. We can't just cancel every white guy with an operator beard and Gruntnstyle t-shirt.

OTOH it's still worth deep getting because there are undoubtedly white nationalist infiltrators in the Reserves (and everywhere else).
Yeah, it matters a lot what the issue with the two is. Given the short time frame and the potential consequences, I wouldn't be shocked if it's just that the two have pro-Trump facebook posts, or friends or family posting "stop the steal" stuff and whatnot. If it's something like that it makes sense to keep them away from the inauguration just in case, but shouldn't be enough to drum them out of the Guard.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:35 pm

OTOH it's still worth deep getting because there are undoubtedly white nationalist infiltrators in the Reserves (and everywhere else).
Yeah, it matters a lot what the issue with the two is. Given the short time frame and the potential consequences, I wouldn't be shocked if it's just that the two have pro-Trump facebook posts, or friends or family posting "stop the steal" stuff and whatnot. If it's something like that it makes sense to keep them away from the inauguration just in case, but shouldn't be enough to drum them out of the Guard.
Yeah - ties is pretty much anything. Even membership in a militia might not be grounds from removal from service altogether. I'd be very wary of going too far, too fast here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's up to 12 Guards removed from the inauguration.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 pm It's up to 12 Guards removed from the inauguration.
Bam!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 pm It's up to 12 Guards removed from the inauguration.
Bam!
All I saw was a stinking bird so I ban your bam.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 pm

"The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like."
If only the Senate could have done something shortly after this happened on 1/6. Can you imagine if there was some type of mechanism to make sure someone this dangerous wasn't still able to sit in the Oval Office and continue to cause problems for another 2 weeks?
It's clearly an attempt to exonerate the insurrectionists and make them his own. If they were lied to by the commander-in-chief, it can't be their fault. Bad president, good base. Come follow me, I got your back

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:49 pm

It's clearly an attempt to exonerate the insurrectionists and make them his own. If they were lied to by the commander-in-chief, it can't be their fault. Bad president, good base. Come follow me, I got your back
I disagree. I think it's a stab at Trump as he leaves office.

McConnell has never been MAGA, and he opposed the scheme to contest the electors. Trump cost Mitch the realm where he reigned supreme. I would twist the knife too.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:25 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:49 pm

I disagree. I think it's a stab at Trump as he leaves office.

McConnell has never been MAGA, and he opposed the scheme to contest the electors. Trump cost Mitch the realm where he reigned supreme. I would twist the knife too.
Twisting the knife would be impeachment. But that would alienate the base.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 pm Twisting the knife would be impeachment. But that would alienate the base.
We'll see. The senate trial will be under Schumer and will require a 2/3 vote (meaning 16 Republican senators in addition to 50 Democrats).

McConnell represents a wing of the GOP that would love to see Trump disappear and make room for more traditional conservatives. It's not impossible that he might organize and allow sufficient Republicans to go along, especially if (as might be the case) state-level indictments against Trump appear immediately.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 pm The senate trial will be under Schumer and will require a 2/3 vote (meaning 16 Republican senators in addition to 50 Democrats).
Doesn't it require 67 ayes to convict?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 pm The senate trial will be under Schumer and will require a 2/3 vote (meaning 16 Republican senators in addition to 50 Democrats).
It requires two thirds of those present, so 17 Rs if all 100 Senators there, yes.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm
If the vote comes up short we will have to rely on the Patriot Party to keep him (and any R's) out of the Oval Office.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Yesterday's threats largely seemed to not have materialized, but I did see mention of a far left group smashing windows in Portland. Anyone have any good articles or info on what that was about?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hadn't seen that, sorry. But I did see this:

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy says Trump did not provoke the Capitol riots:

"I don't believe he provoked if you listened to what he said at the rally."
Keep sticking with that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:54 pm Zip tie guy had a few weapons at home.

Agents find sniper rifle, stash of weapons in home of 'Zip Tie Guy'

Enlarge Image
I know non-right non-whacky people who own more arms than that. I don't know how reasonable it is but I don't instinctively see that as an arsenal or armory. I don't even know that I see that as "a collection." Heck, my old man has 7 different hunting rifles/shotguns and two collector side arms that reflect his military service. And while he's allowed himself too much shielding when it comes to socialism is taking over! he does not for a moment look to his arms as a means of defense against an over reaching government. The rifles/shotguns are/were for hunting and the side arms are for honoring his past.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm Hadn't seen that, sorry. But I did see this:

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy says Trump did not provoke the Capitol riots:

"I don't believe he provoked if you listened to what he said at the rally."
Keep sticking with that.
Did he then go on talk about how it's time to end this unprecedented divisiveness caused by the democrat partisanship that is driving patriots to violent desperate reaction? (that he does not condone)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pmI know non-right non-whacky people who own more arms than that. I don't know how reasonable it is but I don't instinctively see that as an arsenal or armory. I don't even know that I see that as "a collection." Heck, my old man has 7 different hunting rifles/shotguns and two collector side arms that reflect his military service. And while he's allowed himself too much shielding when it comes to socialism is taking over! he does not for a moment look to his arms as a means of defense against an over reaching government. The rifles/shotguns are/were for hunting and the side arms are for honoring his past.
I was going to post something similar, so +1 instead.

People who enjoy shooting as a hobby don't usually own just one or two or even three guns. They probably have what non-gun owners would call a "shocking arsenal" with "thousands of rounds stockpiled". The reality is that every gun fires differently and it's fun to learn how they handle and feel. Like people with other "active" hobbies, they invest a lot of money into it. I know an RC Car guy who drops $1000 on a new car every 6 months or so. It seems silly for him to have a dozen high-end RC cars, but they all do different things for him.
Black Lives Matter

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm Yesterday's threats largely seemed to not have materialized, but I did see mention of a far left group smashing windows in Portland. Anyone have any good articles or info on what that was about?
A crowd of about 200 people, including self-described anarchists, marched in the city’s Central Eastside area and smashed windows at the Democratic Party of Oregon headquarters. Some of the demonstrators carried a sign that read “We don’t want Biden, we want revenge!” in response to “police murders” and “imperialist wars.” Portland police said they arrested eight people.
As reported on Oregonlive.com.

Fucking idiots. I hate these people almost as much as the Trumpaloos.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm I know an RC Car guy who drops $1000 on a new car every 6 months or so. It seems silly for him to have a dozen high-end RC cars, but they all do different things for him.
I have an irrational $1000's of in virtual video games many many $100s I've never even played. My games may not be used for killing things (in reality) but it is what I know and what I've bought. If I were smart, I'da learned a skill and just owned 10s of $1,000 in tools I don't use and can't warrant the ownership of.

(We won't talk about the CCGs of the past)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pmI know non-right non-whacky people who own more arms than that. I don't know how reasonable it is but I don't instinctively see that as an arsenal or armory. I don't even know that I see that as "a collection." Heck, my old man has 7 different hunting rifles/shotguns and two collector side arms that reflect his military service. And while he's allowed himself too much shielding when it comes to socialism is taking over! he does not for a moment look to his arms as a means of defense against an over reaching government. The rifles/shotguns are/were for hunting and the side arms are for honoring his past.

People who enjoy shooting as a hobby don't usually own just one or two or even three guns. They probably have what non-gun owners would call a "shocking arsenal" with "thousands of rounds stockpiled". The reality is that every gun fires differently and it's fun to learn how they handle and feel. Like people with other "active" hobbies, they invest a lot of money into it. I know an RC Car guy who drops $1000 on a new car every 6 months or so. It seems silly for him to have a dozen high-end RC cars, but they all do different things for him.
The gun owners I know around here also aren't nujobs, and many own more guns than that. To be clear, I don't think this guy was a collector; he was a violent nujob. But just the numbers aren't shocking. What non-gun people don't always understand is that many gun owners collect guns. A gun can be a work of art. It can be an amazing piece of engineering. People who drive need one or two cars. Car people (if they have the space and money) might have whole rows of cars, taking great pride in the artistry, engineering, uniqueness, and taking joy in their maintenance and upkeep. My version: I play D&D. I probably need 3-4 sets of dice. I probably have 30-40 sets, mostly because I find the different colors, patterns, styles, and inclusions to be fascinating. We could come up with a hundred other examples - game board collections, playing card collections, pottery collections, etc.

Of course, it's not a perfect analogy. A crokinole board collection doesn't kill people (although my dice collection has a few victims.) Guns come with a societal cost. But just having 15 guns does not a nutter make.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm

Yeah, what he has is (was?) a small collection. Not a lot of redundancy and what they call a "sniper rifle" looks like a regular hunting rifle with a scope. Further, I don't think anything shown is illegal, assuming he wasn't a prohibited person.

He's still a bad and potentially dangerous man and if he's convicted he won't be allowed to own those guns. But in and of themselves they aren't some kind of strategic weapons cache.

What would be more of a concern to me is multiple sets of the same weapons. Like 5 identical AR-15s and 5 identical handguns.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sounds like there are receipts

"There's no question there were members in this body who gave aid & comfort to those, with the idea that they were embracing a lie, a lie perpetrated by POTUS, that the election did not have legitimacy" -- Pelosi on if she has evidence that GOP members gave insurrectionists tours
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nearly 1 in 5 defendants charged in relation to the attack on the U.S. Capitol have served in the military, an NPR analysis finds.

To put that number in perspective, only 7% of all American adults are veterans.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:24 pm
Nearly 1 in 5 defendants charged in relation to the attack on the U.S. Capitol have served in the military, an NPR analysis finds.

To put that number in perspective, only 7% of all American adults are veterans.
Well, the Commander in Chief of the US military told them to do it.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

For the statistically inclined I did a rough statistical test for goodness of fit. It's rough because I only have 1 in 5 which is imprecise. 125 were arrested so far. That'd mean about 25 military members arrested when we should expect about 9 (at ~7% of population). That calculates out to a p-value of ... p < 0.00001 where p < 0.05 is statistically significant. Well that's potentially not good. In context, it's a fairly small sample size for a nation but big enough a sample size in general to know you have something to think about. There are also likely other confounding factors at play but still good times.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Far-right militias have aggressively recruited veterans, especially ones down on their luck due to economic issues and/or PTSD. They're considered valuable because they already know how to handle guns.

I read sometime back that militia vets contain a higher-than-average number of Other-Than-Honorable discharge cases.