Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

Post by Max Peck »

Are we likely to see a Congressional inquiry into why the security at the Capitol was such an abject failure?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Y Y Y Y Y E E E E E E E E E E E E E S S S S S S S S S S S s s s s s s s s s . . . . . .

/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 pm Are we likely to see a Congressional inquiry into why the security at the Capitol was such an abject failure?
There was a lot of camo. They probably didn't see them coming.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 pm Are we likely to see a Congressional inquiry into why the security at the Capitol was such an abject failure?
Dave Chappelle can clear it right up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 pm
There was a lot of camo. They probably didn't see them coming.
:lol:

Pro tip: Aim just below the red hats.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

FBI posts photo of person who placed suspected pipe bombs outside DNC, RNC
On Thursday night, the FBI tweeted a photo of the suspect and posted a reward of up to $50,000 "for information leading to the location, arrest, and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the placement of suspected pipe bombs in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He looks like a Wal-Mart hoodie.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

News said a Oregon senator or something let them in through a door.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 pm News said a Oregon senator or something let them in through a door.
I think that was in Oregon. (Yes, it happened there too.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:20 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 pm News said a Oregon senator or something let them in through a door.
I think that was in Oregon. (Yes, it happened there too.)
A month ago.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

These security officers show amazing restraint and then give in to the mob-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... EktPGAIrUU
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Deep State gonna deep state, I guess...

US diplomats in extraordinary protest against Trump for riot
In a highly unusual move, American diplomats have drafted two cables condemning President Donald Trump’s incitement of the deadly assault on the Capitol and calling for administration officials to possibly support invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him from office.

Using what is known as the State Department’s “dissent channel,” career foreign and civil service officers said they fear last Wednesday’s siege may badly undermine U.S. credibility to promote and defend democratic values abroad.

“Failing to publicly hold the president to account would further damage our democracy and our ability to effectively accomplish our foreign policy goals abroad,” according to the second of the two cables, which were circulated among diplomats late last week and then sent to State Department leadership.

The cable called on Pompeo to support any lawful effort by Vice President Mike Pence and other Cabinet members to protect the country including through “the possible implementation of the procedures provided for in Article 4 of the 25th Amendment, if appropriate.” The amendment allows for the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet to declare a president unfit for office, and the vice president then becomes acting president.

The cables were an extraordinary protest against a sitting U.S. president by American diplomats, who have long complained that the Trump administration has ignored and diminished their role and expertise. The dissent channel is normally used to oppose specific foreign policy decisions. The two most recent cables appear to be unprecedented in their scope and characterization of the president as a danger to the country.

Holman

Post by Holman »

The other most prominent zip-tie guy has been identified as well.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yes, retired Lieutenant Colonel Larry Rendall Brock, Jr. even gave at least one interview admitting it was him.

An Air Force Combat Veteran Breached the Senate
As insurrectionists stormed the U.S. Capitol this week, a few figures stood out. One man, clad in a combat helmet, body armor, and other tactical gear, was among the group that made it to the inner reaches of the building. Carrying zip-tie handcuffs, he was captured in photographs and videos on the Senate floor and with a group that descended on Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office suite. In a video shot by ITV News, he is seen standing against a wall adjacent to Pelosi’s office, his face covered by a bandana. At another point, he appears to exit the suite, face exposed, pushing his way through the crowds of demonstrators.

A day after the riots, John Scott-Railton, a senior researcher at Citizen Lab, at the University of Toronto’s Munk School, notified the F.B.I. that he suspected the man was retired Lieutenant Colonel Larry Rendall Brock, Jr., a Texas-based Air Force Academy graduate and combat veteran. Scott-Railton had been trying to identify various people involved in the attack. “I used a number of techniques to hone in on his identity, including facial recognition and image enhancement, as well as seeking contextual clues from his military paraphernalia,” Scott-Railton told me. Brock was wearing several patches on his combat helmet and body armor, including one bearing a yellow fleur de lis, the insignia of the 706th Fighter Squadron. He also wore several symbols suggesting that he lived in Texas, including a vinyl tag of the Texas flag overlaid on the skull logo of the Punisher, the Marvel comic-book character. The Punisher has been adopted by police and Army groups and, more recently, by white supremacists and followers of QAnon. Scott-Railton also found a recently deleted Twitter account associated with Brock, with a Crusader as its avatar. “All those things together, it’s like looking at a person’s C.V.,” Scott-Railton said.
In an interview, Brock confirmed that he was the man in the photos and videos. He denied that he held racist views and echoed Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud, saying that he derived his understanding of the matter principally from social media. He told me that he had gone to Washington, D.C., to demonstrate peacefully. “The President asked for his supporters to be there to attend, and I felt like it was important, because of how much I love this country, to actually be there,” he said. Brock added that he did not identify as part of any organized group and claimed that, despite the scenes of destruction that day, he had seen no violence. When he arrived at the Capitol, he said, he assumed he was welcome to enter the building.

Brock denied that he had entered Pelosi’s office suite, saying that he “stopped five to ten feet ahead of the sign” bearing her title that insurrectionists later tore down and brandished. However, in the ITV video, he appears to emerge from the suite. Brock said that he had worn tactical gear because “I didn’t want to get stabbed or hurt,” citing “B.L.M. and Antifa” as potential aggressors. He claimed that he had found the zip-tie handcuffs on the floor. “I wish I had not picked those up,” he told me. “My thought process there was I would pick them up and give them to an officer when I see one. . . . I didn’t do that because I had put them in my coat, and I honestly forgot about them.” He also said that he was opposed to vandalizing the building, and was dismayed when he learned of the extent of the destruction. “I know it looks menacing,” he told me. “That was not my intent.”

Holman

Post by Holman »

I hope FBI pressure exposes the planning and connections behind this plan. Invading the Capitol was definitely not a spontaneous act.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pmThe other most prominent zip-tie guy has been identified as well.
I'm sure he "only found them" too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Glock botch in hot water.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:59 pm Glock botch in hot water.
Unfortunately she's probably not.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hilarious rant under WTF were you thinking:

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"I'm out of breath from how stupid y'all are."

That would make me smile if it weren't for how serious this is.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:13 pm "I'm out of breath from how stupid y'all are."

That would make me smile if it weren't for how serious this is.
Ha! You beat me to it, that was the exact quote I was going to reiterate as well.

I might have to steal that one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the US Capitol from 17 January through 20 January," according to an FBI bulletin obtained by @ABC. The FBI has "received information about an identified armed group intending to travel to Washington, DC on 16 January. They have warned that if Congress attempts to remove POTUS via the 25th Amendment a huge uprising will occur," according to a bulletin obtained by @ABC. A group is calling for “storming” state, local, and federal government courthouses and administrative buildings in the event President Trump is removed prior to Inauguration Day, per an FBI bulletin obtained by @ABC
Time to treat them like the terrorists they clearly are.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I said it before a couple years ago, it's been a good run! 200+ years, baby!

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this could easily spill into another civil war. Hell, it might have already started with what we just saw and we are "in it". Lot of right-wing web-sites out there already assuming/hoping/expecting it to happen.

Unrelated, kinda: I'm frustrated at all the coverage that lumps in Republicans with Trumpsters. It has been clear for a long time now that these two entities have split, and will continue to diverge. Hell, Trump himself basically lit the fuse of dynamite under the GOP as a whole in his speech last week. I've seen off and on comments or calls or stances from Trump supporters that they despise the GOP and consider them traitors (this is well before the castle storming). It's beyond "If you ain't with us, you agin' us!", it's more like "if you ain't with us HARDCORE ENOUGH, you agin' us" That's really IMO the only hope we have right now, is that the Trump "faction" has such a high loyalty test, that they have or are diminishing their numbers tremendously. Or I HOPE that is the case. If it's NOT the case, and this even harder turn to the right ends up adding to their numbers, then we are all fucked anyway, and it doesn't really matter. :D

When you have a faction of people allowed to roam through the Capitol hallways looking for Mike Pence to string him up...MIKE PENCE...that is not easily resolved. Those people are Republicans? I think not. Not anymore, at least. We desperately need new terms/names, because "Republicans" is not granular enough anymore.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm I said it before a couple years ago, it's been a good run! 200+ years, baby!

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this could easily spill into another civil war. Hell, it might have already started with what we just saw and we are "in it". Lot of right-wing web-sites out there already assuming/hoping/expecting it to happen.
FWIW I think it'll be more Iraq style insurgency or a Balkan style backyard war than States vs. States. As you said the Republicans have Trumpist and non-Trumpist elements. The base is overwhelmingly Trumpist so they have far more control over the Republican brand. I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebranding it tbh.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm I said it before a couple years ago, it's been a good run! 200+ years, baby!

Unrelated, kinda: I'm frustrated at all the coverage that lumps in Republicans with Trumpsters. It has been clear for a long time now that these two entities have split, and will continue to diverge. Hell, Trump himself basically lit the fuse of dynamite under the GOP as a whole in his speech last week. I've seen off and on comments or calls or stances from Trump supporters that they despise the GOP and consider them traitors (this is well before the castle storming). It's beyond "If you ain't with us, you agin' us!", it's more like "if you ain't with us HARDCORE ENOUGH, you agin' us" That's really IMO the only hope we have right now, is that the Trump "faction" has such a high loyalty test, that they have or are diminishing their numbers tremendously. Or I HOPE that is the case. If it's NOT the case, and this even harder turn to the right ends up adding to their numbers, then we are all fucked anyway, and it doesn't really matter. :D

When you have a faction of people allowed to roam through the Capitol hallways looking for Mike Pence to string him up...MIKE PENCE...that is not easily resolved. Those people are Republicans? I think not. Not anymore, at least. We desperately need new terms/names, because "Republicans" is not granular enough anymore.
My local paper interviewed someone who was there last week "protesting" and the interviewee says that both the Democrats and Republicans have failed the "true Patriots" and that it's time for "true Patriots" to form the "Patriot Party". I can only pray that this actually happens and it takes hold. Please leave the Republican party and start your own fringe conspiracy leaning party of fools.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You've basically got radicalized and un-radicalized Republicans. The problem is that the un-radicalized Republican' "power at all costs" mentality is directly responsible for the extremism. Until they fundamentally undergo a transformation, they are a burning ember that will continue to keep this trash fire burning.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

YouTube is promoting a Fox News live event about the "Tech Shutout" of Trump in about 90 minutes. That should be precious.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:44 pm YouTube is promoting a Fox News live event about the "Tech Shutout" of Trump in about 90 minutes. That should be precious.
I wonder if they will mention that Agolf is welcome any time to address the nation on their friendly network. That he doesn't shows how fearful his handlers are of an unscripted moment.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:44 pm YouTube is promoting a Fox News live event about the "Tech Shutout" of Trump in about 90 minutes. That should be precious.
I wonder if they will mention that Agolf is welcome any time to address the nation on their friendly network. That he doesn't shows how fearful his handlers are of an unscripted moment.
Am I wrong to assume he's under lock and key right now?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:02 pm
Literally locked in a room ? Yes, I think you're wrong.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"Not even a fly."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Supposedly he was headed to Alamo, Texas to cheer on the building of his wall. Have not heard that it was called off.

Looks like still on.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pmUnrelated, kinda: I'm frustrated at all the coverage that lumps in Republicans with Trumpsters.
As of right now, there's no way to differentiate. Trump remains the figurehead of the Republican Party. Yes, plenty of GOP operatives are appalled and want him impeached now, but them plenty of GOP operatives are digging ever deeper.

The split is most definitely coming - there's no way the GOP can hold both Hawley and Romney - but we're not there quite yet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:10 pm The split is most definitely coming - there's no way the GOP can hold both Hawley and Romney - but we're not there quite yet.
Romney wouldn't be a split, he'd be an exile. The question becomes how many slices you can take away before it's pragmatically a split. (and the more scary question is how much worse the remaining chunk gets every time they cut off a slice. When patriots are want Pence dead and Trump is cheering them on, we're already too far gone in that chunk.)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:07 pm
Supposedly he was headed to Alamo, Texas to cheer on the building of his wall. Have not heard that it was called off.

Looks like still on.
He's going to be so mad when he finds out he's on a no fly list.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Looks like still on.
He's going to be so mad when he finds out he's on a no fly list.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter