Another failed Presidency...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

Another failed Presidency...

Post by Little Raven »

Damn, Bret. Tell us how you really feel.
This Sept. 11, a diminished president will preside over a diminished nation.

We are a country that could not keep a demagogue from the White House; could not stop an insurrectionist mob from storming the Capitol; could not win (or at least avoid losing) a war against a morally and technologically retrograde enemy; cannot conquer a disease for which there are safe and effective vaccines; and cannot bring itself to trust the government, the news media, the scientific establishment, the police or any other institution meant to operate for the common good.

A civilization “is born stoic and dies epicurean,” wrote historian Will Durant about the Babylonians. Our civilization was born optimistic and enlightened, at least by the standards of the day. Now it feels as if it’s fading into paranoid senility.

Joe Biden was supposed to be the man of the hour: a calming presence exuding decency, moderation and trust. As a candidate, he sold himself as a transitional president, a fatherly figure in the mold of George H.W. Bush who would restore dignity and prudence to the Oval Office after the mendacity and chaos that came before. It’s why I voted for him, as did so many others who once tipped red.

Instead, Biden has become the emblem of the hour: headstrong but shaky, ambitious but inept. He seems to be the last person in America to realize that, whatever the theoretical merits of the decision to withdraw our remaining troops from Afghanistan, the military and intelligence assumptions on which it was built were deeply flawed, the manner in which it was executed was a national humiliation and a moral betrayal, and the timing was catastrophic.

We find ourselves commemorating the first great jihadist victory over America, in 2001, right after delivering the second great jihadist victory over America, in 2021. The 9/11 memorial at the World Trade Center — water cascading into one void, and then trickling, out of sight, into another — has never felt more fitting.

When Lyndon Johnson launched his war on poverty, its associated legislation — from food stamps to Medicare — passed with bipartisan majorities in a lopsidedly Democratic Congress. Biden has similar ambitions without the same political means. This is not going to turn out well.

Perhaps what will save the Democrats is that Biden’s weakness will tempt Donald Trump to seek (and almost certainly gain) the Republican nomination. But then there’s the chance he’d win the election.

There’s a way back from this cliff’s edge. It begins with Biden finding a way to acknowledge publicly the gravity of his administration’s blunders. The most shameful aspect of the Afghanistan withdrawal was the incompetence of the State Department when it came to expediting visas for thousands of people eligible to come to the United States. Accountability could start with Antony Blinken’s resignation.

The president might also seize the “strategic pause” Manchin has proposed and push House Democrats to pass the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill without holding it hostage to the $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill. Infrastructure is far more popular with middle-of-the-road voters than the Great Society reprise that was never supposed to be a part of the Biden brand.

My sense is that Biden will do neither. The last few months have told us something worrying about this president: He’s proud, inflexible, and thinks he’s much smarter than he really is. That’s bad news for the administration. It’s worse news for a country that desperately needs to avoid another failed presidency.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Re: Another failed Presidency...

Post by malchior »

I read that earlier. There is something to the piece towards the beginning. If he talked about momentum lost I'd be there but then he throws his support behind Manchin's obstruction. I figuratively balled it up and threw it over my shoulder at that point. Bret Stephens almost never impresses me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

9/11 wasn't a "Jihadist victory". Does anyone remember the unity and resolve after 9/11? We only handed them the victory when we went headlong into multiple prolonged conflicts that cost magnitudes more lives than 9/11.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:02 pmDoes anyone remember the unity and resolve after 9/11? We only handed them the victory when we went headlong into multiple prolonged conflicts that cost magnitudes more lives than 9/11.
That is what they were counting on. They saw that we had an elite class itching to do battle, ready and willing to go adventuring right into their trap.

It has been an astounding victory considering the cost of the operation. They got us to pour trillions of dollars into the effort. We spent 20 years chasing them around the desert, we ended up defeated and completely humiliated, and they now have even more breeding grounds for recruiting. And over 20 years they have slight net gains in jihadist strongholds now. 9/11 strategically was a bigger success than they could have ever imagined.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It's a Bret Stephens piece. He's garbage.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:10 pm we ended up defeated and completely humiliated,
That must be in the eye of the beholder as I feel neither.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I dunno about failed but after the initial vaccine push, he hasn't been strong. I don't have a good Monday morning take on Afghanistan. I can say it's 20 years of being botched but I have no frame of reference for how much blame to lay at Biden's feet.

I can't say 8 months in he's failed. I can't say 8 months in he's succeeded. I can say I don't like relabeling infrastructure or holding one bill hostage for another. I also can't say it's Biden's fault these things are happening, only that he's playing a game I hate one that has been largely been a Provence of the right, one that drove me kicking and screaming into the hands of the democratic party. Congress is friggen broken. I lay stuff at their feet but I have no clue how to fix it. I am loathe to support an authoritarian move by the POTUS. We never seem to be able to step back.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't agree that leaving Afghanistan was a blunder, just the how. That said, I'll take 100 of Biden's Afghanistan blunders over another Trump term.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, if he's this twisted about the upcoming 9/11 anniversary and President Biden, no one better tell him about what twice impeached Florida Man will be up to this Saturday.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:43 pm I don't agree that leaving Afghanistan was a blunder, just the how. That said, I'll take 100 of Biden's Afghanistan blunders over another Trump term.
Right totally agree - another Trump term would have likely broken us worse than we already are. Still it remains to be seen if leaving Afghanistan was a blunder. There were legitimate arguments on both sides. The real problem is we spent trillions of dollars and American national security is only marginally better and some assess it worse than it was shortly after 9/11. I put little of that on Biden directly except the way they fucked up the withdrawal shook our alliances. It may have negatively impacted national security. Time will tell again there but Biden is squarely on the hook for that.

Edit: Where I think Biden's faults are is that he is acting like we don't have impending threats to our democracy. And that is what I'm most concerned about. He has every once and a while talked about it but let's be honest he sure ain't acting like we're in as deep trouble as it seems. Maybe he's right and it's fine but if he gets it wrong...well it won't be pretty.

Edit 2: Example A - how was Kellyanne Conway still in a US government job much less on the board of military academies until *today*?

Last edited by malchior on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:17 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:10 pm we ended up defeated and completely humiliated,
It is widely regarded by national security experts in this way. Here is one take that describes it as such but this tenor was common throughout our allies over the last month:
There are many questions to ask about how a 20-year war culminated in a tragic fiasco. Why did the Afghan military collapse with such astounding speed? What were the root causes of America’s failure? But the most important question looks forward: How does a global superpower recover from such a humiliating defeat?

It’s not the first time the U.S. has faced the issue. When the last helicopter departed Saigon in 1975, the U.S. left behind a similar humanitarian catastrophe and confronted similar questions about the global impact of a devastating setback. Then, America pivoted from defeat in Vietnam to victory in the Cold War a decade and a half later — a turnaround that U.S. officials might learn from today.
After Vietnam there was a lot of soul searching and there was a positive pivot. Will that happen again? I don't know if anyone can say but it doesn't look good with the United States as ungovernable and divided as it is now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:43 pm I don't agree that leaving Afghanistan was a blunder, just the how. That said, I'll take 100 of Biden's Afghanistan blunders over another Trump term.
Was the "blunder" ever avoidable? The swift collapse of the Kabul government suggests that there was little chance of any other outcome.

That we're actually negotiating with the Taliban over the release of those still trying to leave the country--rather than just seeing the new rulers killing our associates or throwing them into Gulags--suggests that this blunder might be among the best of all likely endgames.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When the last helicopter departed Saigon in 1975, the U.S. left behind a similar humanitarian catastrophe and confronted similar questions about the global impact of a devastating setback.
Paris Peace Accords
[A] peace treaty signed on January 27, 1973, to establish peace in Vietnam and end the Vietnam War.
On January 15, 1973, President Nixon announced a suspension of offensive actions against North Vietnam.
y August 15, 1973, 95% of American troops and their allies had left Vietnam (both North and South) as well as Cambodia and Laos under the Case-Church Amendment. The amendment, which was approved by the U.S. Congress in June 1973, prohibited further U.S. military activity in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia unless the president secured Congressional approval in advance.

We weren't withdrawing combat troops from Saigon in 1975.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 pm
Was the "blunder" ever avoidable? The swift collapse of the Kabul government suggests that there was little chance of any other outcome.
People often say that but there is a lot of very smart people saying that it isn't necessarily true.

Some of the most important factors:

* We were the backbone of their military communications and intelligence effort. The 2500 army personnel we kept in country were not frontline but essentially acted as the glue keeping it together.

* We provided all air support for the Afghan military and provided all maintenance of aircraft

* We signaled lack of support for the Afghan government and negotiated with the Taliban directly

* We negotiated the release of many hard captured enemies that bolstered the enemy ranks and weakened morale in the Afghan army

* We pulled all support without properly assessing the replacement support structure

* We communicated a timeline to the enemy that effectively pulled that support structure out from under them in the middle of the fighting season

* We let the Taliban operate with impunity and did not detect them bribing and undermining large portions of the Afghan army

That is why there was a case to stay. It was mostly aligned with maintaining that low risk support role indefinitely. It cost little. We were seeing very few injuries/deaths and we had a presence in country to keep eye on Al'Queda/ISIS/ISIS-K. There were counter cases such as the Taliban slowly winning with Pakistan's support. However, it is a bit of fallacy to think that the collapse in itself is necessarily some sort of prima facie proof that it was doomed. It became doomed because the Afghan government was significantly undermined by *us* and then we just left as quickly as we could which created a vacuum the Taliban exploited.
That we're actually negotiating with the Taliban over the release of those still trying to leave the country--rather than just seeing the new rulers killing our associates or throwing them into Gulags--suggests that this blunder might be among the best of all likely endgames.
We don't actually know what is happening. That's the trouble. We're blind and the jihadists have a clean board in Afghanistan. Obviously we likely have something still there but all the experts I've read said our capability to detect the sort of threats we detected during the withdrawal are going to degrade quickly.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:17 pm
Are we talking about Bin Laden/Al-Qaeda or the Taliban/Afghanistan?

I think we ended up handling and dismantling AQ/OBL pretty well. I think staying in Afghanistan and continuing to fight the Taliban was a mistake.

I don’t feel humiliated, but we certainly didn’t ‘win’ in any sense of the word. I feel more sad than anything that so many lost their lives over a meandering and meaningless (once the original mission was actually accomplished) occupation.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

IIRC, wasn't Little Raven trying to paint Obama as a failed Presidency? After Florida Man, Marianne Williamson would be regarded as a raging success.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 pm

As I understand it, Biden's guilty of listening to the wrong advisers. Some voices did predict that the government would cave, but they were dismissed as outliers. Maybe they didn't even have the president's ear, IDK. It would have been prudent to have a contingency plan for that scenario even if it was deemed unlikely.

As to the thread topic, if Biden's the Congress Whisperer that we're given to believe then he can still turn it around. If the Dems can fund the government without a fuss, pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill, pass most of the reconciliation bill, and pass voting protections -- all before the midterms -- then Afghanistan will be a footnote in most voters' minds. If that grand agenda falls through and Dems lose control of Congress, then yes, this presidency is over. OTOH if they achieve those goals and somehow hold onto the Congress, then Biden will have earned two "hold my beer" years.

Remember that Dems run on policy and programs. The reconciliation bill will improve most Americans' lives from cradle (paid family leave, child care subsidies, universal pre-K) to grave (expanded Medicare coverage and home elder care) and beyond (climate change prevention and mitigation). All of these measures are widely popular, and voters will reward them if they're allowed to vote and elections aren't overturned.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:38 pmAs to the thread topic, if Biden's the Congress Whisperer that we're given to believe then he can still turn it around. If the Dems can fund the government without a fuss, pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill, pass most of the reconciliation bill, and pass voting protections -- all before the midterms -- then Afghanistan will be a footnote in most voters' minds. If that grand agenda falls through and Dems lose control of Congress, then yes, this presidency is over. OTOH if they achieve those goals and somehow hold onto the Congress, then Biden will have earned two "hold my beer" years.
I think this is the wrong criteria. Biden will be playing by different rules for the 2nd half. There is a high, high, high chance the Democrats lose the House NO MATTER WHAT. It's almost certain. It's just the math of mid-terms. They currently have a 5 seat edge. The average move against a President's party is between 20-25 seats over the last 50 years. That's the cold hard math. It is just the historical pattern. Could the Democrats hold the House? Sure but much like Afghanistan they should assume the worst case things and get what they need done this year into early next year. But also Manchin/Sinema.

I think this is the year that he gets to make an impact. If they get a decent part of his agenda through he has a chance to be a mediocre President. If it doesn't pass, he might end up in the bottom half. Not way down but he simply doesn't have it. I watched him during his tour of NJ and he looks...old. Very old. He sounds old. I more than ever am convinced he was a mistake. Miles better than Trump but it would have been better to have a robust, dynamic leader right now in this time. Still it's way too early to label him failed. I think though it's fair to think he will fail considering all the headwinds he faced and faces going forward.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:53 pm I think this is the year that he gets to make an impact. If they get a decent part of his agenda through he has a chance to be a mediocre President. If it doesn't pass, he might end up in the bottom half. Not way down but he simply doesn't have it. I watched him during his tour of NJ and he looks...old. Very old. He sounds old. I more than ever am convinced he was a mistake. Miles better than Trump but it would have been better to have a robust, dynamic leader right now in this time. Still it's way too early to label him failed. I think though it's fair to think he will fail considering all the headwinds he faced and faces going forward.
Agreed, mostly. There is a lot to do before this year is up because nothing substantial will happen when the calendar flips to '22, and Republicans are going to take the House through gerrymandering alone -- voter protection won't pass in time to prevent that, since it's not seriously in play right now. If/when the House falls, Biden will be a lame duck, because he's not going to run for a second term and probably wouldn't win if he did (unless the GOP is stupid enough to run trump again).

Where I disagree is that I believe Biden will be remembered as a great president if he gets the Dem social agenda through (even though it wasn't his own plan). Even if he's hamstrung for his last two years, reversing the illiberal turn that began in 1980 would be a monumental achievement.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:21 pm IIRC, wasn't Little Raven trying to paint Obama as a failed Presidency? After Florida Man, Marianne Williamson would be regarded as a raging success.
:think: I think you have me confused with someone else. (I'm not sure who....is there anyone left on this forum who didn't at least vaguely approve of Obama?)

I'm just the guy who refuses to use compilation threads. :horse:
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:21 pm IIRC, wasn't Little Raven trying to paint Obama as a failed Presidency? After Florida Man, Marianne Williamson would be regarded as a raging success.
:think: I think you have me confused with someone else. (I'm not sure who....is there anyone left on this forum who didn't at least vaguely approve of Obama?)

I'm just the guy who refuses to use compilation threads. :horse:
Perhaps I did not recall correctly. I will accept vague approval.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Just from What I see in Texas and Florida, it seems like the GOP is trying to drive turnout.

Among Democratic women in particular.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Default wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:42 pm Just from What I see in Texas and Florida, it seems like the GOP is trying to drive turnout.

Among Democratic women in particular.
LOL! Too bad their votes will be negated.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

They can't negate votes everywhere in the country.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm sure the backlash to this afternoon's announcements will be harsh in MAGALand, but Biden's impressing me with these new vaccine requirements. All employers with 100+ employees must require vaccination or weekly tests. All healthcare workers at facilities working with medicare/medicaid must require vaccination. All federal employees and contractors must be vaccinated. I never expected him to come out this strongly.

To put it in current internet-meme verbiage: 'Tell me you're implementing a nationwide vaccine mandate without telling me you're implementing a nationwide vaccine mandate.'

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Default wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:53 pm They can't negate votes everywhere in the country.
No, but 'votes everywhere in the country' don't really matter in our stupid EC system. Sadly.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:13 pm I'm sure the backlash to this afternoon's announcements will be harsh in MAGALand, but Biden's impressing me with these new vaccine requirements. All employers with 100+ employees must require vaccination or weekly tests. All healthcare workers at facilities working with medicare/medicaid must require vaccination. All federal employees and contractors must be vaccinated. I never expected him to come out this strongly.
And the OSHA thing is excellent.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:13 pm I'm sure the backlash to this afternoon's announcements will be harsh in MAGALand, but Biden's impressing me with these new vaccine requirements. All employers with 100+ employees must require vaccination or weekly tests. All healthcare workers at facilities working with medicare/medicaid must require vaccination. All federal employees and contractors must be vaccinated. I never expected him to come out this strongly.
I mean, would I prefer a legislative or local solution? Sure. But we can't have nice things in this timeline, so I'll take this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:15 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 pm
I mean, would I prefer a legislative or local solution? Sure. But we can't have nice things in this timeline, so I'll take this.
We can file it away under: Things Trump would have NEVER done
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 pm And the OSHA thing is excellent.
It is...but it's also a bit odd that he spiked an earlier attempt this year to use OSHA to strong-arm this type of protection (vaccination and masks in the workplace). He said back in January he wanted something but failed to do anything by April (have the standard set). I don't know if there were internal flags raised because of the EUA or they shifted attention away to focus on vaccinations, but I do think it's a good move. I (personally) would like to know how it ultimately came to be, but I also know we might not ever get that type of detail any time soon.

I'd also like to think history will look kindly on his speech today and all the things he intends to do. Our nation is operating (largely) rudderless and this should help move things in the right direction. It's sad that we need to leverage rules and regulations over the private sector to make it happen, but maybe that's the nature of our capitalist society.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It would be entirely unsurprising if behind the scenes the larger business community was lobbying the administration for help. They have to deal with these idiots the same way we do. Also perhaps Biden was reluctant until someone convinced him that the winter is going to be a horror show unless they do something.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:03 pm It would be entirely unsurprising if behind the scenes the larger business community was lobbying the administration for help. They have to deal with these idiots the same way we do. Also perhaps Biden was reluctant until someone convinced him that the winter is going to be a horror show unless they do something.
The winter will be a horror show regardless.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To put it in current internet-meme verbiage: 'Tell me you're implementing a nationwide vaccine mandate without telling me you're implementing a nationwide vaccine mandate.'
Now, add people who receive federal benefits, including any federally subsidized unemployment, insurance, or welfare.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 amNow, add people who receive federal benefits, including any federally subsidized unemployment, insurance, or welfare.
The cognitive dissonance from the 'drug testing before welfare payments!' crowd would be delicious.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 am Now, add people who receive federal benefits, including any federally subsidized unemployment, insurance, or welfare.
Data point:
A Medicare beneficiary hospitalized with Covid-19 costs the health insurance program about 150 times more than it does to fully vaccinate that individual, a CNN analysis shows.

Covid-19 vaccines are provided at no direct cost to residents of the United States, but Medicare reimburses health care providers up to $150 to fully vaccinate beneficiaries with both doses of the two-dose regimen vaccines by Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna, per billing documents published by the US Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. That's $40 for each dose administered and $35 to administer the shots at the individual's home or group living setting.

Meantime, the average cost to hospitalize a Medicare beneficiary with Covid-19 is $21,752 over an average stay of 9.2 days, according to research published in August in the Annals of Internal Medicine. That's approximately 145 times the cost of vaccinating a Medicare beneficiary.

Average fees associated with Covid-19 hospitalization were even higher if a patient needed a ventilator, bringing the cost to an average of $49,441 over 17.1 days -- more than 300 times the cost of administering the vaccines.
Going back to a question from earlier this summer, that right there is a perfect example of the difference between public health ($150) and private health ($50,000).

Again, in time I'd like to think this is going to be a rather large and influential historical reference point for the Biden administration. I wish we didn't need to get here, but if this is what its going to take to pull us out of the collective nose-dive that ~30% of the country seems intent on experiencing, then so be it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Failed? Based on a puny country on the other side of the globe?

Yeah, no.

As with Trump's Presidency, Biden's will be judged upon the Covid response (not say, Syria and the Kurds) and/or over-response (see Bush and the Iraq War idiocy in response to 9/11).

Also, the further out one goes in judging early 21st Century Presidencies, the single most telling item will likely be Climate Change, and most of these other crises/emergencies will get lost in the face of that Global crisis as it gets bigger and bigger, dominating everything.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:37 pm Damn, Bret. Tell us how you really feel.
This Sept. 11, a diminished president will preside over a diminished nation.

We are a country that could not keep a demagogue from the White House; could not stop an insurrectionist mob from storming the Capitol; could not win (or at least avoid losing) a war against a morally and technologically retrograde enemy; cannot conquer a disease for which there are safe and effective vaccines; and cannot bring itself to trust the government, the news media, the scientific establishment, the police or any other institution meant to operate for the common good.

A civilization “is born stoic and dies epicurean,” wrote historian Will Durant about the Babylonians. Our civilization was born optimistic and enlightened, at least by the standards of the day. Now it feels as if it’s fading into paranoid senility.

Joe Biden was supposed to be the man of the hour: a calming presence exuding decency, moderation and trust. As a candidate, he sold himself as a transitional president, a fatherly figure in the mold of George H.W. Bush who would restore dignity and prudence to the Oval Office after the mendacity and chaos that came before. It’s why I voted for him, as did so many others who once tipped red.

Instead, Biden has become the emblem of the hour: headstrong but shaky, ambitious but inept. He seems to be the last person in America to realize that, whatever the theoretical merits of the decision to withdraw our remaining troops from Afghanistan, the military and intelligence assumptions on which it was built were deeply flawed, the manner in which it was executed was a national humiliation and a moral betrayal, and the timing was catastrophic.

We find ourselves commemorating the first great jihadist victory over America, in 2001, right after delivering the second great jihadist victory over America, in 2021. The 9/11 memorial at the World Trade Center — water cascading into one void, and then trickling, out of sight, into another — has never felt more fitting.

When Lyndon Johnson launched his war on poverty, its associated legislation — from food stamps to Medicare — passed with bipartisan majorities in a lopsidedly Democratic Congress. Biden has similar ambitions without the same political means. This is not going to turn out well.

Perhaps what will save the Democrats is that Biden’s weakness will tempt Donald Trump to seek (and almost certainly gain) the Republican nomination. But then there’s the chance he’d win the election.

There’s a way back from this cliff’s edge. It begins with Biden finding a way to acknowledge publicly the gravity of his administration’s blunders. The most shameful aspect of the Afghanistan withdrawal was the incompetence of the State Department when it came to expediting visas for thousands of people eligible to come to the United States. Accountability could start with Antony Blinken’s resignation.

The president might also seize the “strategic pause” Manchin has proposed and push House Democrats to pass the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill without holding it hostage to the $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill. Infrastructure is far more popular with middle-of-the-road voters than the Great Society reprise that was never supposed to be a part of the Biden brand.

My sense is that Biden will do neither. The last few months have told us something worrying about this president: He’s proud, inflexible, and thinks he’s much smarter than he really is. That’s bad news for the administration. It’s worse news for a country that desperately needs to avoid another failed presidency.
This man is an idiot. Biden's presidency has indeed failed but not for the reasons listed in this article. It failed because Biden failed to remove the filibuster. Failed to pass voting rights legislation, and failed to communicate the value of what he's currently up to to the American populace
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Biden failed to remove the filibuster? How was that his failure?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:36 pm Biden failed to remove the filibuster? How was that his failure?
Failure of leadership.

The buck stops there! :lol:

Post by Default »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:51 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:36 pm Biden failed to remove the filibuster? How was that his failure?
Failure of leadership.

The buck stops there! :lol:
The great thing about being a cynic, is you don't have to do anything, You don't have to stand for anything, you just have to sit there and b****.