Only until they release a game I want
14%
No!
46%

Total votes: 37

Jaymann

Poll: Will you boycott Blizzard?

Post by Jaymann »

Much has been made of boycotting Blizzard due to the company's widespread history of sexual abuse. Where do you stand on this?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Re: Poll: Will you boycott Blizzard?

Post by noxiousdog »

Yes, until I see significant real changes that I can believe in including Bobby Kotick resigning.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The last Blizzard game I bought was the necromancer for D3 in 2019, the last expansion was Battle for Azeroth almost three years ago. The last money I gave them was a WoW subscription cancelled a year ago.

There are no Blizzard games coming out in 2021 that I want (more accurately - there are none at all coming out in 2021.) The next game that I have any potential interest in is Overwatch 2, and it doesn't even have a release date yet.

I wasn't going to be patronizing Blizzard any time in the near future, so it's more or less impossible for me to boycott them. Refusing to do something I wasn't going to do is meaningless.

When the next game that I have an interest in comes out (OW2, if the reviews are good), I will look and see how Blizzard has handled the issues. If they have responded appropriately, I will buy it. If not, I will boycott them then.

I can't see any rational reason to make a decision like that with partial information during a constantly evolving situation a year before the decision matters.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Maybe.

It could be several years before they have a game that interests me. At that point, I'd have to see if I felt there were legitimate cultural changes. To keep punishing a company despite honest attempts at change would actually send the wrong message. As a general guideline, I think that all boycotts should be periodically re-assessed to see if they are still relevant.

If a game came out tomorrow that I was interested it, it's very likely that I would not buy it (i.e. boycott). But in two years? I have no way of knowing. Maybe the company made major strides in that time and has become worthy of support.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Or, basically, what BH said.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And what TheMix said.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GOTO 10
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

It's interesting how tense is used here.

Shouldn't it be present tense rather than future? And as such, wouldn't that imply to give a sincere answer, you'd have to assume they have something you'd want to buy?

However, I completely agree with reassessment. If I believed the frat boy culture, as California has alleged, was eliminated, I'd be happy to change my mind.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know how to answer for reasons similar to BH. I haven't bought an Blizzard nor even a ACTV game since 2003,4,5? I have no intention of buying one for the foreseeable future. It's hard to call what I am doing a boycott. Will the current situation fit into my decision making process in the future? Yes? If a day comes up that an ACTV game draws my attention and they are still demonstrably a misogynistic especially if they are predatory nor even if the have same current leadership, I am likely to take a pass on whatever game it was the drew my fancy. I've elected to forego consumerism for much less. I can't say that for sure until the situation arises and we see where ACTV is and what the game I want is. Not buying their product takes no effort or inconvenience on my part, so it's impossible to say I am boycotting them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think the intention is clear enough.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm in the same position as others. I looked and the last actual purchase I made was in 2016 (Overwatch). Before that it was Diablo 3 (2012). I don't maintain any active subs or even play their FTP stuff. Hell, I don't even think I've played anything on my Blizzard account for years (other than to verify an install and maintain my account status). Is that a boycott? I'm not sure.

To be clear, what Blizzard leadership did (is still doing?) is horrific and I don't support it in any way. I just don't know how I'm having an impact on them in any capacity other than by continuing to not buy or purchase subscriptions...which I haven't done in almost 6 years.

The best I could say is that I won't purchase the next Diablo game, but even that isn't really difficult for me to say. Am I boycotting or am I just not really day one interested. It's not that I don't want to help or support better policies, its' just that I'm not sure I'm able to do so.

It's the same regarding Chick-fil-A or Hobby Lobby. Neither are options for for in terms of something I'd purchase (they're not local vendors). So my "boycott" of them is meaningless; I've never visited or patronized either...ever.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:00 pm Hell, I don't even think I've played anything on my Blizzard account for years (other than to verify an install and maintain my account status).
My battle.net account was the first I ever used LordMortis, for Diablo because Mortis was already taken. I tried to sign in as LordMortis in DiabloII and they had wiped my account and given it to someone else. That means I probably haven't had Battle.net/Blizzard account since probably 96? Earlier?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:00 pm I'm in the same position as others. I looked and the last actual purchase I made was in 2016 (Overwatch). Before that it was Diablo 3 (2012). I don't maintain any active subs or even play their FTP stuff. Hell, I don't even think I've played anything on my Blizzard account for years (other than to verify an install and maintain my account status). Is that a boycott? I'm not sure.

To be clear, what Blizzard leadership did (is still doing?) is horrific and I don't support it in any way. I just don't know how I'm having an impact on them in any capacity other than by continuing to not buy or purchase subscriptions...which I haven't done in almost 6 years.

The best I could say is that I won't purchase the next Diablo game, but even that isn't really difficult for me to say. Am I boycotting or am I just not really day one interested. It's not that I don't want to help or support better policies, its' just that I'm not sure I'm able to do so.

It's the same regarding Chick-fil-A or Hobby Lobby. Neither are options for for in terms of something I'd purchase (they're not local vendors). So my "boycott" of them is meaningless; I've never visited or patronized either...ever.
Heh I saw this topic and though the only two places I actively wouldn't want to shop at are Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby. I don't think I've ever seen a Hobby Lobby near me so ya not a problem. Chick-fil-a they do have one towards my work, but A. I hate them and B. I would never sit in their insane lines. I tried it once many many many years ago in PA. It was chicken.. I don't get the hype at all.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:00 pm I'm in the same position as others. I looked and the last actual purchase I made was in 2016 (Overwatch). Before that it was Diablo 3 (2012). I don't maintain any active subs or even play their FTP stuff. Hell, I don't even think I've played anything on my Blizzard account for years (other than to verify an install and maintain my account status). Is that a boycott? I'm not sure.

Your lack of faith is disturbing. Very mamby-pamby. ARE YOU FER OR AGIN'?!!?

VOTE, and be counted. There are no wrong answers! Except one answer gets you vilified, and the other gives you a smug feeling of superiority for eternity (or until public sentiment changes about these brands).

Also, your vote cannot be retroactively changed, so even if these companies shape up into what the Cancel Culture Run Amok Council (CCRAC) thinks they should be, your stance will be REMEMBERED (archived in the CCRA archive portfolio (CCRAAP). So vote for the present AND the future! Also, VERY important: a non-vote is recorded as a vote AGAINST the Official CCRAC Position (OCCRACPOS), so NOOOO pressure!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm taking a passive stance, since I'm confident global warming will eliminate all blizzards.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

When Diablo 4 comes out I'll get back to you. I'm not remotely an activist. I can't even get my wife to stop going to Chik-Fil-A... yes I tried. Her sister is even a married gay woman. I almost went to a BLM March last summer. That's as close as I have ever come to activism. I make sure the women who work for and with me are treated equally and with respect. I know my choice around Diablo 4 is going to make no difference so I am not going to stress over it.

Lazy? Yes. Entitled? Yes. Embarrassed? A little. Changing? Unlikely.

Luckily the world is changing without me. It's a slow grind, and it would certainly come faster if all the mes out there took action, but progress is happening.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:34 pm Luckily the world is changing without me. It's a slow grind, and it would certainly come faster if all the mes out there took action, but progress is happening.
Truth. I went from young to old when I wasn't looking and some things in me just aren't going to change but I'm so very happy that generation landslide will make things better in spite of what I seem to be.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I've never played any Blizzard games and don't really have an interest in doing so. But if it were a game I was interested in, I'd probably hold off until the issue was either addressed or the game hit the bargain bin (at which point the success or failure of the game would have already been determined).
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:34 pm I can't even get my wife to stop going to Chik-Fil-A... yes I tried. Her sister is even a married gay woman.
I know gay people who go to Chick-fil-A.
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As I've pointed out elsewhere, I don't do the moral stance boycott thing. Is the Blizzard stuff reprehensible? Yes. So is a lot of other stuff I don't boycott. I have no reason to make this the sword I die on.

Buying a product made by hundreds of people going through hundreds of hands before it makes its way to my door does not make me a supporter of the actions of a handful at the top.

That said, good on you if you're willing to take that moral stand. I have no problem with it, and will admit you're a better person than I.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

But would you buy a My Pillow? :pop:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

gilraen wrote:But would you buy a My Pillow?
Possibly, if it was Diablo 4 and not a pillow that I don't want.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

This is all that matters:

Enlarge Image

If not buying a game translates to lower revenues which translates to a lower share price, or committing to not buying a game translates to lower guidance which translates to a lower share price, ATVI will act. If not, they won't.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:38 pm This is all that matters:

Enlarge Image

If not buying a game translates to lower revenues which translates to a lower share price, or committing to not buying a game translates to lower guidance which translates to a lower share price, ATVI will act. If not, they won't.
:wub:
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've been "boycotting" Blizzard ever since they rolled out battle.net, so why stop now. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've spent more time playing WoW than I care to admit, and used to be in a top raiding guild. I can't support them until the current leadership is gone or they show significant changes in their corporate culture. I'd love to be looking at D2R right now, but I'll content myself with playing something else.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Enlarge Image

Except it's basically recovered from the SEC announcement, its YTD trendline is almost the same as Take-Two and similar to EA, and it still has a consensus Buy rating(but getting some Holds). Sadly, shareholders, boards, and institutions just haven't cared much about the allegations. How Kotick is skating through this is disappointing to me. Though next month's earnings report could change things.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

No but since several years ago, there are nothing that they release that I'm interested to play. I haven't really played several games that I bought from them. WoW was the only game from them that I really played.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good God. I’m more shocked by seeing how many people on this so-called gaming board never played Diablo, more than the reactions (or non reactions) to the apparent toxic corporate culture at Blizzard.

‘The fuck is wrong with you people?!? :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I played the first two. D2 is inextricably linked in my head to The Mummy Returns (pygmies) and "The Last Stop" by Dave Matthews Band.

I stopped playing World of Warcraft before Wrath of the Lich King. I never got into Starcraft.

I dabbled in Overwatch and Hearthstone and bounced off of both of them.

I probably haven't given them any money in over a decade. And there's nothing on the horizon that tempts me. Which makes it easy to continue not to spend money on their products.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm Good God. I’m more shocked by seeing how many people on this so-called gaming board never played Diablo
Blizzard has always made the games I hate. MMOs, clicky real time strategy, and action RPGs. I don't like anything that involves my horrible reaction times, playing live with other humans, or games where it actually matters if I lose track of the mouse cursor in the mass of particle effects.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sooo that leaves chess and minesweeper? :p
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm Good God. I’m more shocked by seeing how many people on this so-called gaming board never played Diablo, more than the reactions (or non reactions) to the apparent toxic corporate culture at Blizzard.

‘The fuck is wrong with you people?!? :P
I played and completed Diablo. I played Diablo 2 but can't get into it. Probably stopped at the first area. I bought Diablo 3 but didn't play it at all other than just install and test it out a few times.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:15 am Sooo that leaves chess and minesweeper? :p
:D

Dwarf Fortress 4ever! Why would I need any other games?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hardly ever buy anything from Blizzard. I hardly ever play D3. I did just buy D2R.
If they came out with any games I cared about I might think about it but it's a moot point as it stands.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been unintentionally boycotting Blizzard since the original Diablo II was finished. I had no interest in anything they put together after that.

Knowing the place is a hellhole, I don't see much reach to change that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:45 pm

Enlarge Image

Except it's basically recovered from the SEC announcement, its YTD trendline is almost the same as Take-Two and similar to EA, and it still has a consensus Buy rating(but getting some Holds). Sadly, shareholders, boards, and institutions just haven't cared much about the allegations. How Kotick is skating through this is disappointing to me. Though next month's earnings report could change things.
That's why is said that's all that matters. It's about revenue and share price. They won't care about allegations or angry tweets or #istandwithwhoever until it hits share price.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:07 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:15 am Sooo that leaves chess and minesweeper? :p
:D

Dwarf Fortress 4ever! Why would I need any other games?
I even sent Tarn money and will do so again when it releases on Steam.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm not nearly as disappointed at 31%.
Black Lives Matter

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:17 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm Good God. I’m more shocked by seeing how many people on this so-called gaming board never played Diablo
Blizzard has always made the games I hate. MMOs, clicky real time strategy, and action RPGs. I don't like anything that involves my horrible reaction times, playing live with other humans, or games where it actually matters if I lose track of the mouse cursor in the mass of particle effects.
Similar for me. I've only ever tried out two MMOs. I have played RTSs, but they tend to be more on the tactical side. And I have no interest in action hack & slash games.