Flooded email account [solved]

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dave Allen

Flooded email account [solved]

Post by Dave Allen »

In the last 15 hours I've received 299 failure notices in my primary email account.
Someone is using my email address to send hundreds of emails to other email addresses that don't even exist.
This uses all of my capacity to send any emails myself.
Two months ago I changed my password, but this doesn't prevent this kind of abuse.
Any suggestions (besides abandoning an account I've had for many years)?
Last edited by Dave Allen on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Rip

Re: Flooded email account

Post by Rip »

It is very possible someone is spoofing your address as the sender. You could dig into the e-mail header to see if you can determine where they are actually coming from.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

This morning 887 messages incoming. I usually find 9 or 10. :(
I filled out a Yahoo support request.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:It is very possible someone is spoofing your address as the sender. You could dig into the e-mail header to see if you can determine where they are actually coming from.
They are coming from HIS BASEMENT! :confusion-helpsos:
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Since its a Yahoo email address, I'd seriously consider pulling the eject switch if you possibly can.

Given Yahoo's lackadaisical response to the massive security breaches known to have afflicted its users (and that's only based upon what was, eventually, made public), they've done bugger all to engender any loyalty whatsoever. In fact, they've also specifically gone out of their way to make it as difficult as possible for users to switch to other service providers. At this point, you'd almost have to be a glutton for punishment to stay with 'em, regardless of how burdensome they try to make it for departing users.

Just rip the Bandaid off, and be done with its foul putrescence.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Since its a Yahoo email address,
Actually it is not. I've had this same email - *att.net - for over twenty years, but my mail comes through Yahoo since 10 or 12 years ago.
I haven't heard anything on my support ticket today. Over 1000 more emails have come today since I asked for help.
I really, really don't want to lose my primary email address. :(

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If you don't have any of these emails in your "Sent" folder, then your account wasn't technically hacked - in the sense that the spammer is forging your email address as the sender rather than actually sending them from your account.
Just set up a filter to send any "mail undeliverable" (or whatever the verbiage in the subject line) straight to trash. You really can't do anything else about it.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

gilraen wrote:Just set up a filter to send any "mail undeliverable" (or whatever the verbiage in the subject line) straight to trash.
That's the first thing I did. I also have to have to run Thunderbird constantly to avoid waiting 5-10 minutes just to receive legitimate emails.
gilraen wrote:You really can't do anything else about it.
I've received 1,408 DAEMON-MAILER failure notices in the past 24-hours. :twisted:

If that's just the bounce-backs, my address must be famous in an evil sort of way. :oops:

Anyone want it so they can filter me out of their life forever? :cry:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had a similar situation once long ago, albeit on a much smaller scale -- I only got a few dozen bounce notices a day. IIRC my ISP offered to inactivate the address for a few days, and whoever was spoofing my address moved on.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Kraken wrote:I had a similar situation once long ago, albeit on a much smaller scale -- I only got a few dozen bounce notices a day. IIRC my ISP offered to inactivate the address for a few days, and whoever was spoofing my address moved on.
That's helpful.
I registered on the Yahoo help forum just now. I asked about temporarily blocking all sending on my email account. I suppose 72 hours would sufficient?

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dave Allen wrote:
Kraken wrote:I had a similar situation once long ago, albeit on a much smaller scale -- I only got a few dozen bounce notices a day. IIRC my ISP offered to inactivate the address for a few days, and whoever was spoofing my address moved on.
That's helpful.
I registered on the Yahoo help forum just now. I asked about temporarily blocking all sending on my email account. I suppose 72 hours would sufficient?
Seems reasonable to me.

A few months ago a credit card thief tried to validate stolen numbers through Curio City's checkout page. My card processor (PayPal) rejected all of the transactions and finally froze my account, but not before 15 attempts were denied, and I had to explain to all of those people that No, I had not stolen their number...it was the Russians. Anyway, once you shut down an account the bot should simply move on to victimize someone else. I ended up losing two days' business.

Incidentally, this person had no intention of stealing from me; s/he was merely validating numbers to resell to someone else who would use them for theft. I was told that each valid stolen number is worth $5 to $15 on the black market.

It's a living, I suppose. Presumably your email address is making money for somebody, somehow.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Yahoo just inactivated my account.
They also provided a link to reactivate it when I'm ready.
I think they give me something like 40 days to reactivate my account, or then they'll permanently delete it.
Thanks, Kraken :dance:

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Dave Allen wrote:Yahoo just inactivated my account.
I think they give me something like 40 days to reactivate my account, or then they'll permanently delete it.

Keep in mind that this won't really help if they are just spoofing your email...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Punisher wrote:

Keep in mind that this won't really help if they are just spoofing your email...
Well, I'll be turning it back on tomorrow so I'll soon find out.
And if that's the case, can I block my own address as the sender to stop these bounce backs?

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Dave Allen wrote:
Punisher wrote:

Well, I'll be turning it back on tomorrow so I'll soon find out.
And if that's the case, can I block my own address as the sender to stop these bounce backs?
not really.. if they are spoofing, they are not really using your actual email server,, They are using their server to send an email pretending to be you... Some of the bouncebacks may contain a server IP address. If there is a common one, Yahoo might be able to get it's IP on a blacklist, but that still won't prevent it.
I checked and it looks like Yahoo has an SPF record.. What 'should" happen is that the spoofer sends an email as you, the receiving email server checks the IP and looks up the SPF record for the domain..in this case yahoo.com's domain. Their SPF record points to mail.yahoo.com... if the receiving server sees that the email came from a different server, it should block it.
this depends on the receiving servers settings. some block, some do nothing and some still send a bounceback.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I reactivated my account 24 hours ago and have no more problem. :D

Kraken

Re: Flooded email account [solved]

Post by Kraken »

:clap:

Glad that worked.