Monitor recommendations?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bad Demographic

Monitor recommendations?

Post by Bad Demographic »

We're thinking of replacing our old 21" monitor with larger ones, up to maybe 24", and I'm wondering what recommendations you might have oh mighty hive mind.
We'd prefer to spend no more than $200 each.
My graphics card is NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.
Bob's is an NVidia GeForce GTX 950.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Re: Monitor recommendations?

Post by Blackhawk »

I care about your monitor!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love my ultrawide but can see it wouldn't be for everyone. So are you looking for a normal widescreen?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Bad Demographic

I'm not sure what to look for. It's been about 6 years since the last time we bought monitors. When we started to look we discovered wider screens, curved screens, etc. Hearing the pros and cons of various types of monitors would be great. For instance, how do you use your ultrawide, how does it affect games you play and non-game programs you use?
Spec and brand suggestions would help, too. What resolutions should we look for? Pixels per inch? etc. While we'd prefer not to spend huge amounts of money, it really does depend more on the features and capabilities.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd suggest going with The Wirecutter recommendation for the Best 24-Inch Monitor:
TheWirecutter.com wrote:After spending 35 hours researching 50 monitors and testing seven finalists, we found that the Dell UltraSharp U2415 is the best option for most people. It’s a lot bigger than even the largest laptop screen but takes up less room than a 27-inch monitor. The U2415’s factory-calibrated IPS screen is one of the most color-accurate models we tested—the only monitors we tested with better picture quality cost a lot more, and you wouldn’t notice the difference in daily use. The combination of the U2415’s excellent screen, price, ports, and design make it the best 24-inch monitor you can get.

The 1920×1200-pixel resolution of the Dell U2415 gives it 11 percent more screen space than a 1080p monitor, and its HDMI and DisplayPort connections and five USB 3.0 ports allow for more flexibility than other monitors offer. The U2415’s stand lifts, tilts, rotates, and swivels, so you can put the screen exactly where you need it. Plus, it has an ultrathin bezel that makes the screen feel bigger than it is and produces less of a visible gap if you set up multiple monitors next to one another. Dell’s line of UltraSharp monitors also come with a great dead-pixel policy and a standard, three-year limited warranty.
It's currently available from Amazon for $219.95.

If you're willing to spend more, have a butcher's at The Wirecutter recommendations for Best Gaming Monitors.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ASUS MX299Q

Thats my monitor. You can check all the specs there. I was able to get it thanks to a few thousand buck inheritance.

As for non games stuff I have no problems. Everything works and looks great. Youtube plays with black bars on each side about 3" each.

Games also play fine. Most games going back to the 2000s support 2560x1080. Older ones dont but they play fine in a box. Theres the odd one that you either have to play in 1920x1080 or lower but it looks good usually.

I picked the ultrawide for gaming and to use as a dual screen. Games look wonderful but I just never use it as a dual screen. I prefer having the full space as one screen. I have my old half busted 1920x1080 Ive considered using as a 2nd monitor.

If you're like me you'll laugh at the stated 80 million to 1 contrast ration of my monitor. Ya that has to be true..lol..not.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 pm I'd suggest going with The Wirecutter recommendation for the Best 24-Inch Monitor:
TheWirecutter.com wrote:After spending 35 hours researching 50 monitors and testing seven finalists, we found that the Dell UltraSharp U2415 is the best option for most people. It’s a lot bigger than even the largest laptop screen but takes up less room than a 27-inch monitor. The U2415’s factory-calibrated IPS screen is one of the most color-accurate models we tested—the only monitors we tested with better picture quality cost a lot more, and you wouldn’t notice the difference in daily use. The combination of the U2415’s excellent screen, price, ports, and design make it the best 24-inch monitor you can get.

The 1920×1200-pixel resolution of the Dell U2415 gives it 11 percent more screen space than a 1080p monitor, and its HDMI and DisplayPort connections and five USB 3.0 ports allow for more flexibility than other monitors offer. The U2415’s stand lifts, tilts, rotates, and swivels, so you can put the screen exactly where you need it. Plus, it has an ultrathin bezel that makes the screen feel bigger than it is and produces less of a visible gap if you set up multiple monitors next to one another. Dell’s line of UltraSharp monitors also come with a great dead-pixel policy and a standard, three-year limited warranty.
It's currently available from Amazon for $219.95.
i would also select this one for the price. you would not be disappointed...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Don't forget to check Dell Outlet for clearance deals.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Bad Demographic

Thanks, all of you, for your help and recommendations. I was briefly distracted by the higher end monitors but I'm going with the Dell U2415.

Black Lives Matter