Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Android sound issue

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Post Reply
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Android sound issue

Post by gbasden »

Hey there! I've been trying to figure out an issue with my phone and have had no luck searching for a solution. I've got a OnePlus 8 running Android 11. I have an issue when trying to play music or video where there is simply no sound. I know the speakers work, because phone calls ring and alarms go off. My first thought was that it was connected to a bluetooth headset or something, but it occurs even with bluetooth turned off. When I use the volume buttons volume shows at full and media output shows as the phone speaker.

Any thoughts? I'm about ready to reset to defaults, but I'd really rather not do that if I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8329
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Android sound issue

Post by TheMix »

I have a different android phone, but I found an Avanced Sound Setting option for Separate app sound. Could you have somehow set your phone up to play on another device? Or is that what you meant by "media output shows as the phone speaker"? (Note: I don't see an option anywhere on my phone to even select the phone speaker.)
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Android sound issue

Post by gbasden »

I don't seem to have an advanced sound setting, but when I press a volume key it brings up a small window showing the volume level as well as having a few more options. The top button is labelled Media Output, and when I select that I see Phone Speaker and all of the bluetooth devices I have connected.
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8329
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Android sound issue

Post by TheMix »

Huh. Sounds like our OS's are very different. Not particularly surprising. But certainly makes helping difficult. Sorry.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Android sound issue

Post by gbasden »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm Huh. Sounds like our OS's are very different. Not particularly surprising. But certainly makes helping difficult. Sorry.
Thanks for trying!
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: Android sound issue

Post by hitbyambulance »

remove _every_ paired Bluetooth device and try again
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Android sound issue

Post by gbasden »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm remove _every_ paired Bluetooth device and try again
That on it's own didn't fix it, but that plus a full power down and restart did! Thanks!
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: Android sound issue

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm remove _every_ paired Bluetooth device and try again
That on it's own didn't fix it, but that plus a full power down and restart did! Thanks!
i was going to add 'reboot' afterwards but wasn't sure. well, now i know to add that step just in case.
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Android sound issue

Post by gbasden »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:04 pm
gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm remove _every_ paired Bluetooth device and try again
That on it's own didn't fix it, but that plus a full power down and restart did! Thanks!
i was going to add 'reboot' afterwards but wasn't sure. well, now i know to add that step just in case.
Just as an FYI, a reboot didn't do it actually. I had to do a full power down. I don't know why?
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
Montag
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Android sound issue

Post by Montag »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:04 pm
gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm remove _every_ paired Bluetooth device and try again
That on it's own didn't fix it, but that plus a full power down and restart did! Thanks!
i was going to add 'reboot' afterwards but wasn't sure. well, now i know to add that step just in case.
Just as an FYI, a reboot didn't do it actually. I had to do a full power down. I don't know why?
I think to do a true reboot, you do need to do the power down (long hold power button). If you just turn the phone off and on, it is more like a save and resume state.
words
Post Reply