Question about installing windows to new PC off old disk

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

bluefugue

Question about installing windows to new PC off old disk

Post by bluefugue »

I have used my old WinXP disk to install the OS on the new PC I just built. I am wondering if something will happen if I try to activate it online. Does Microsoft keep some kind of database of PCs activated with each Windows copy? I have reinstalled Windows several times on the old PC I've been using, and each time it activates and that's just the end of the story. But I've never had the same version of WinXP running simultaneously on two different systems, nor have I activated it off this disk with a different core PC configuration.

If I activate this copy of WinXP on the new rig, I am wondering if the different system config will set off some sort of alarm bell at Redmond and men in dark coats will come to take me away. Or if I can run them both ok, or what. Just not sure how this works, and not too keen on buying the OS all over again for a new box.

Anyone who knows how this stuff works, advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Taken from http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx :

What happens when you try to install and activate on more PCs than the end user license agreement (EULA) allows?

Per the EULA, installing on more PCs than the EULA allows would be in violation of the EULA. Technically, product activation does not limit the number of PCs the software can be installed on. It would be possible technically to install the software on, for example, 100 PCs. Activation would fail though on 99 (98 for Office XP or Office 2003) of those 100 PCs thereby limiting the usefulness of the illegal installation. Outside of an activation attempt, Microsoft does not know how many PCs Windows XP, Office XP family product, or Office 2003 System product have been installed on.

Is it possible to transfer a license to another computer?

Consumers should refer to the terms of their license agreement to determine whether or not it is legal to transfer a license to another computer. But in those cases where it is allowed, the product must first be removed from the previous computer. Users may be required to complete the activation on the new computer by placing a call to the Microsoft Activation Center.

There's a whole bunch of information on that page. Hope it helps.

Pointer
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Thanks for the link. It seems very vague on whether or not I am "allowed" to install the same copy of Windows on a different PC than the first one. :?

I guess I can call their customer support to get more details.
Ned Flanders

Post by Ned Flanders »

It won't let you activate it via the internet if you have previously registered it. When you call to activate it they will ask you why you need to activate it again. They won't hassle you if you give them a legitimate reason for re-activating, ie. your upgrading your hard drive or you just need to re-install Windows due to a virus or whatever. Technically if the other PC is still being used by someone, including yourself with the same license then you are violating the EULA.