Stupid Service Pack 2 [Updated: New question]

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Stupid Service Pack 2 [Updated: New question]

Post by Bakhtosh »

Okay...SP 2 has the new, annoying featuer of telling me that it sent a document to the spooler and doing so in an annoying little yellow bubble that is redundant since the little printer pops up in the systray anyway.

Any clue how to disable this stupid "feature"?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Install Win2K :)
Seriously, WinXP SP2 is by all accounts horrible in every way, from gimping the networking to dragging down the performace. Consider not using it.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Hmm, I've been using SP2 since it was first released and have never seen anything but the printer icon appear UNLESS is was some dumbass item installed by the print drivers (HP, I'm looking at YOU!!!!)
Black Lives Matter
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

SirReal wrote:Install Win2K :)
Seriously, WinXP SP2 is by all accounts horrible in every way, from gimping the networking to dragging down the performace. Consider not using it.
I've never had any trouble out of SP2. In fact, I would say that it has dramatically increased my computer's performance with faster start-up times and general overall speed. I went from 2 minutes startups to a little under 1 minute.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

SirReal wrote:Install Win2K :)
<Security czar hat>
Uhh, on the contrary, SP2 is in general a performance booster (although slight), the largest security boost since Windows 2000, and all around quite the relative bug-free experience. :)
</Security czar hat>

Bakhtosh, the option you're looking for is in Start --> Printers & Faxes --> File --> Server Properties --> Advanced --> Uncheck the 'Show Informational Notices' options.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Big thumbs up for SP2 here!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

HUGE thumbs up for Zaxxon! :D

Somebody deserves a hug...
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Digital love for SP2 from me as well.

I have a question for you security gurus. I want to roll it out on our work network, but also want to make our local domain 'friendly' to the firewall. We have a popup messaging system that rides on the back of the regular messenger system. I installed it on mine and it wouldn't let anyone pop me. I'm sure it's in the exceptions list, but have any of you done a bypass like this yet? Thx!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jancelot wrote:Digital love for SP2 from me as well.

I have a question for you security gurus. I want to roll it out on our work network, but also want to make our local domain 'friendly' to the firewall. We have a popup messaging system that rides on the back of the regular messenger system. I installed it on mine and it wouldn't let anyone pop me. I'm sure it's in the exceptions list, but have any of you done a bypass like this yet? Thx!
I haven't but if you have a good firewall protecting you office network it would be safe to disable the windows firewall and see if that helps. That would be my first guess is that there is a specific port that would need to be open on the machines in question to allow them to be "popped" 8)
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Messenger service is disabled with SP2, which is likely deep-sixing your app. I believe you can turn it back on via group policy, or you can send out a script that uses the 'net' command to re-enable the service on everyone's machines.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Our company did a roll-out where they pushed SP2 to all the machines. The app they used to push the patch disabled the firewall automatically.

A new question:

I've received several complaints from co-workers about the printing times with SP2 installed. I've noticed this too. We all use network printers only. In some apps, especially when printing a large file, when I go to File -> Print, it takes several seconds (13 long seconds by my count in acrobat reader) for the print options window to pop up. This is a merked increase from pre SP2 performance. Any ideas? Is the OS pre-spooling the document or checking something on the printer that's new?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I haven't had any problems with SP2 and printing. It does enable auto updating by defaul however and I have had problems with new drivers breaking stuff. Although typically it would be more severe than just a few seconds slower.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--