Anyone use Pest Patrol?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JSHAW

Anyone use Pest Patrol?

Post by JSHAW »

We're having a debate at work on the use of Pest Patrol, and if it's use in conjunction with Spybot-S&D and Ad-Aware can be a good thing, or detrimental to a pc.

I see nothing wrong with Pest Patrol and I've been using it with XP right alongside of Spybot and Ad-aware. I've found that Pest Patrol detects some spyware that Spybot and Ad-aware doesn't.

My system administrator doesn't trust Pest Patrol for some weird odd reason, which probably has to do with me purchasing a copy of it and him not having one. He's one of these people that think's he knows EVERYTHING and if the idea didn't originate from him then it can't be good.

I've used Pest Patrol to clean up customer's machines and none of my customers have had any issues with it, but the sys. admin guy told me not to use it anymore because he thinks Spybot and Ad-aware are all we need to run.

Thoughts?
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

The only problem I've had with Pest Patrol and also with Mcafee Antispyware is a number of false positives. Adaware and Spybot are both less likely to come up with wrong choices.
Rip

Re: Anyone use Pest Patrol?

Post by Rip »

JSHAW wrote:We're having a debate at work on the use of Pest Patrol, and if it's use in conjunction with Spybot-S&D and Ad-Aware can be a good thing, or detrimental to a pc.

I see nothing wrong with Pest Patrol and I've been using it with XP right alongside of Spybot and Ad-aware. I've found that Pest Patrol detects some spyware that Spybot and Ad-aware doesn't.

My system administrator doesn't trust Pest Patrol for some weird odd reason, which probably has to do with me purchasing a copy of it and him not having one. He's one of these people that think's he knows EVERYTHING and if the idea didn't originate from him then it can't be good.

I've used Pest Patrol to clean up customer's machines and none of my customers have had any issues with it, but the sys. admin guy told me not to use it anymore because he thinks Spybot and Ad-aware are all we need to run.

Thoughts?
System Administrators do know everything. Well when they don't their consultants do :D

Seriously don't be angry with him, you wouldn't believe the things user will have you doing if you let them. I'm sure pest patrol would probably not cause harm, but would be overkill. The things it gets that the other 2 don't are mostly borderline calls, and a couple false positives I've seen.

If you want to really scare him, tell him ask him if he paid for the licensing on them,. Their are many admin's that install it assuming it is free when the freebie is for personal use at least for adaware.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I've got no reason to be angry with my sys. admin, it's just a question about using the right tools, for the best possible service/solution that we can provide for a paying customer.

We have customer's that bring in their pc's due to them running slow and they want them cleaned up, but don't want their O/S reloaded so we do what we can to clean the O/S and get rid of their spyware/adware. 99% of them have either no virus protection, virus protection that is out of date or expired, or no recent updates done for months or years, and their pc's are loaded down with spyware,adware, and a possible virus or two.

Thanks for the responses.
Rip

Post by Rip »

JSHAW wrote:I've got no reason to be angry with my sys. admin, it's just a question about using the right tools, for the best possible service/solution that we can provide for a paying customer.

We have customer's that bring in their pc's due to them running slow and they want them cleaned up, but don't want their O/S reloaded so we do what we can to clean the O/S and get rid of their spyware/adware. 99% of them have either no virus protection, virus protection that is out of date or expired, or no recent updates done for months or years, and their pc's are loaded down with spyware,adware, and a possible virus or two.

Thanks for the responses.
I hear you, I would say 50-75% of the PCs I get from people who aren't already my customers have that exact problem. I never send them a bill until I hear them say they can't recall the last time it ran so fast.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--