Looking to upgrade to 1 gig RAM

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dramatist

Looking to upgrade to 1 gig RAM

Post by Dramatist »

I wanna bump up my RAM in my PC from 512 to a gig for Everquest II.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 8200, but their website doesn't know if it's 400 front side bus or 533 front side bus. I'm not sure whether it matters anyhow.

Also it looks like there are 2 256 RAM chips in it, but the other two slots have green Dell chips that look like blanks (very skinny, and hardly any metal on em). Do the slots have to be full?

I'm very confused and looking for some help.

Thanks.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Rip

Re: Looking to upgrade to 1 gig RAM

Post by Rip »

Dramatist wrote:I wanna bump up my RAM in my PC from 512 to a gig for Everquest II.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 8200, but their website doesn't know if it's 400 front side bus or 533 front side bus. I'm not sure whether it matters anyhow.

Also it looks like there are 2 256 RAM chips in it, but the other two slots have green Dell chips that look like blanks (very skinny, and hardly any metal on em). Do the slots have to be full?

I'm very confused and looking for some help.

Thanks.
I'm showing most if not all of the 8200 series is RDRAM not SDRAM. Please post or PM me you service tag. I see 8200s from 1.7G to 2.53G.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

This is a 2.0G.

Service tag is JKGS811.

I remember it was expensive RAM when this machine was new (will be three years old in Feb.). I hope another 512k won't cost too much.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Rip

Post by Rip »

My memory mathing app shows this

Upgrade Configuration for "Dell Dimension 8200 2.0G"

System Specs
Type of system: Desktops/Servers
Bus Architecture: PCI/AGP
Native OS: Windows ME/2000/XP
CPU Type: 2.0GHz Intel Pentium 4

System Memory
Standard Memory: 128 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 2 GB
Memory Expansion: 4 sockets (2 banks of 2)
Memory Comments: PC800 RDRAM RIMMs. Supports ECC. Modules must be installed in like pairs. Do not mix 40ns with 45ns.

I show over $100 per 256M module non-ECC. While a 1GB kit ECC is only $300. If it were me and I really wanted to upgrade. I would get the 1 GB ECC kit and sell my 2 256MB non ECCs on ebay or something. You are bound to get at least $50 a piece for them. At least that is my guess.

If you have trouble getting these, or getting decent prices e-mail me or call Guru headquarters and I'll drop ship you what you need.

Rip
— Benjamin Rush
--
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Rip, you give OO discounts?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Coskesh wrote:Rip, you give OO discounts?
Of course. Although the original intent was to discount hosting. That's mostly because my PC and Networking business is pretty much focused to the local area at present. But heck OOers are local to me right :D

Go to my website http://www.byteguru.net and get the phone # and give me a call. We will work out a way to get you hooked up.

Rip

edited for crappy spelling and gramar
— Benjamin Rush
--
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

And I went and ordered RDRAM from elsewhere!
I'm such a fool! :oops:
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

NewEgg had some RDRAM RIMM for under $100 for 256M, with a limit of 3 though (I needed about 30 and went elsewhere, paying a little more).
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Anyone know where to get some Samsung PC1066 reasonably? Thats what I have running in this Asus P4-533c board I got on the cheap and I'm looking to go to a Gig so I'd need 2x256..
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Rip

Post by Rip »

RookieCAF wrote:Anyone know where to get some Samsung PC1066 reasonably? Thats what I have running in this Asus P4-533c board I got on the cheap and I'm looking to go to a Gig so I'd need 2x256..
I don't see that board, maybe P4B533 which uses PC1600/2100

They should run you around $50 a piece for non-ECC
— Benjamin Rush
--
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

P4T 533 C is the board, Never trust my physical memory heh.. Found the manual and the box and prompted me to check this thread :|
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Rip

Post by Rip »

RookieCAF wrote:P4T 533 C is the board, Never trust my physical memory heh.. Found the manual and the box and prompted me to check this thread :|
Ahhh that one I see.

Upgrade Configuration for "ASUS P4T533-C"

System Specs
Type of system: Motherboards
Bus Architecture: PCI/AGP
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 478)

System Memory
Maximum Memory: 2.0 GB
Memory Expansion: 4 sockets (2 banks of 2)
Memory Comments: PC800/PC1066 ECC and non-ECC RIMMs (must be installed in pairs) Do not mix 40ns with 45ns.

I'm showing a little over a hundred for a per non-ECC 40ns. ECC is $10-15 more.
— Benjamin Rush
--
is_dead

similar problem

Post by is_dead »

Hey Rip I don't think you can help me directly since I'm in Canada, but...

I have a Dimension 8250. It takes 1066 RDRAM, and I'd like to go from 512 to a gig. Question is, is it worth it? I've found out it'll cost about $280 for new memory. After a reboot I typically have around 290 of that 512 free, which is pretty good (I keep the system relatively clean).

I also have a Radeon 9700 non pro, and a lowly 56 Gig hard drive. Two possible upgrades there, so once I'm in the 280 dollar range, I'm thinking well, I could do both the vid card and a hard drive for less than 400. With the still-good P4 2.4 and a very stable system I don't feel the need to do a new PC yet either.

What do you say?
is_dead
Rip

Re: similar problem

Post by Rip »

is_dead wrote:Hey Rip I don't think you can help me directly since I'm in Canada, but...

I have a Dimension 8250. It takes 1066 RDRAM, and I'd like to go from 512 to a gig. Question is, is it worth it? I've found out it'll cost about $280 for new memory. After a reboot I typically have around 290 of that 512 free, which is pretty good (I keep the system relatively clean).

I also have a Radeon 9700 non pro, and a lowly 56 Gig hard drive. Two possible upgrades there, so once I'm in the 280 dollar range, I'm thinking well, I could do both the vid card and a hard drive for less than 400. With the still-good P4 2.4 and a very stable system I don't feel the need to do a new PC yet either.

What do you say?
I doubt the difference would be worth it. SAve up and replace next year. You should still be able to get $400-$600 for your current system without much trouble. Memory upgrades on these systems are just to out of order to make upgrading a good choice.
— Benjamin Rush
--