PocketPC problem for the experts

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Orpheo

PocketPC problem for the experts

Post by Orpheo »

I installed Egress (shareware RSS reader) on my PocketPC awhile ago. It integrates onto the "front page" of the PocketPC, where it shows your events for the day, etc. The free trial ran out and I decided I didn't want to pay for it, so I uninstalled it. It claimed to be uninstalled, it no longer shows up on my PC's sync software or on the PocketPC's list of programs, but it's still there on the front page. I went in through file explorer and deleted all the Egress-related files I could find, but its still there on the front page, displaying the last RSS item it was on before I uninstalled it. Anyone know how I can get rid of it?
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

The easiest way is to back up everything, do a full reset to reset the system to its initial state, and reload your applications/data.

How you do the full reset depends on your system, usually it involves setting a switch off for 2-3 minutes and then turning it on again.

I'm sure there's some way to hack the registry or something like that, but it willl take you longer to figure out exactly what you have to do than to just reset and reload.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There is a registry editor out there, look for Power Toys for Pocket PC at Microsoft (I think that's where I found it). It's good for cleaning up messes like that.

You could also try reinstalling the software and see if you can uninstall it.
Repentant

Post by Repentant »

A simpler approach is to go to the Today config screen under System Settings and uncheck the offending item. Won't necessarily remove it from the ppc, but you'll get rid of the thing showing on the Today screen.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Repentant wrote:A simpler approach is to go to the Today config screen under System Settings and uncheck the offending item. Won't necessarily remove it from the ppc, but you'll get rid of the thing showing on the Today screen.
Good enough for me, thanks! I'm still new to this thing.