DVD drive recommendations?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD

DVD drive recommendations?

Post by DD »

Thinking about putting a DVD drive into my home rig - any suggestions?
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Nec 3500a, a 16x dual layer burner that runs around $70 from Newegg.

Wins all kinds of shootout type reviews. The Pioneer is a good choice as well but both it and the NEC share some components I believe but I'm not sure.
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

For a burner, definately a NEC 3500A, Pioneer 108, or a Benq 1620. Those 3 seem to be in the top spots for dvd burners. I just got a 3500 and its great.

For just a regular dvdrom, liteon, samsung, toshiba, and sony all make good 16X read speed drives.
disarm

Post by disarm »

both Anandtech.com and TomsHardware.com have published DVD burner round-ups since the beginning of november. i would highly suggest checking them out at the following links...

Anandtech.com DVD-R Roundup (8 burners)
TomsHardware.com Comparison (10 burners)

both are excellent articles with lots of great information...and both sites picked the NEC 3500A as their top burner in the end. according to their tests, the NEC 3500A (only $69 at Newegg) is not only the fastest burner available, but also puts out the most reliable discs of them all. i'm on the verge of picking one up for myself 8)

if you're just looking for a DVD-ROM (not a burner), i have a 16x Sony DDU-1612 in my system. it's been a great drive for the past year...very fast, extremely quiet, and has read every disc i've ever put in it without any trouble. not bad for $25.