Help: Slow Forums...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Godzilla Blitz

Help: Slow Forums...

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be grateful...

Two boards that I visit regularly (here and fofc.com) are just god-awful slow. It's taking two minutes or more to load a thread with 20 or so posts. I've got a cable connection, and everything else I visit is fine in terms of speed, it's just these two forums. At work nearby, both are fine. For most other visitors to these boards, speed seems to be no problem.

I've got a Mac and a PC at home, and they both are having the same problem. Also, it happens on both Explorer and Firefox. Basically it takes forever for the screen to build the reply boxes and fill them in with text. Photos pop up almost instantly once the box appears.

Flushing my cookies didn't help. Clearing my cache and changing cache settings didn't do anything either.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
Rip

Re: Help: Slow Forums...

Post by Rip »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:If anyone has some ideas, I'd be grateful...

Two boards that I visit regularly (here and fofc.com) are just god-awful slow. It's taking two minutes or more to load a thread with 20 or so posts. I've got a cable connection, and everything else I visit is fine in terms of speed, it's just these two forums. At work nearby, both are fine. For most other visitors to these boards, speed seems to be no problem.

I've got a Mac and a PC at home, and they both are having the same problem. Also, it happens on both Explorer and Firefox. Basically it takes forever for the screen to build the reply boxes and fill them in with text. Photos pop up almost instantly once the box appears.

Flushing my cookies didn't help. Clearing my cache and changing cache settings didn't do anything either.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
How do the following websites load?

http://navigatorhosting.com
http://byteguru.net

Rip
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Both of those sites loaded very quickly. No problems.

It's strange (at least to me, anyways). The first page here will pop up quickly, and the first thread I look at usually loads in about 20 seconds. After that, things bog down quickly, even if I refresh the first thread I loaded.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:Both of those sites loaded very quickly. No problems.

It's strange (at least to me, anyways). The first page here will pop up quickly, and the first thread I look at usually loads in about 20 seconds. After that, things bog down quickly, even if I refresh the first thread I loaded.
One of those sites is on this server, and the other is on a different server, but still within my datacenter. So probably something to do with phpBB and something we are doing with it hear. Please keep me informed of how this changes, hopefully it will improve.

I find myself wondering how your systems would respend to internet from a different location/source? Would be convinient if one were a laptop 8)
— Benjamin Rush
--
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

RIP: Thanks for the help with this.

Sometimes it's pretty good here. For example, this evening things are flying along. But 80% of the time things are sluggish.

I do have a laptop here too. I might be able to check its performance here and elsewhere.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:RIP: Thanks for the help with this.

Sometimes it's pretty good here. For example, this evening things are flying along. But 80% of the time things are sluggish.

I do have a laptop here too. I might be able to check its performance here and elsewhere.
That would be interesting.
— Benjamin Rush
--
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Rip: It might be something on his ISP's end too. I have no problems with the speed on these boards.

Godzilla: Are you using an HTTP proxy with the ISP?
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Rip: I'll see what I can do to test the laptop, but I'm not sure where else I can plug it into a network at the moment.

SirReal: Humm. I use Comcast cable at home. Would they be using some sort of HTTP proxy?
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Check if you have a proxy set up in your browser. To see if the ISP runs a squid cache or something, check their website; it'll probably say.