DSL Download Speed

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dirt

DSL Download Speed

Post by Dirt »

I live in CA and have SBC Yahoo DSL. Supposedly, I should have 384 Kbps, yet, whenever I download something, the top speed is 37.1 Kbps. Does anyone know why this could be? Or am I just stupid and I'm reading it wrong?

I remember seeing downloads as fast as 150.1kb when I had cable.
Rip

Re: DSL Download Speed

Post by Rip »

Dirt wrote:I live in CA and have SBC Yahoo DSL. Supposedly, I should have 300 Kbps, yet, whenever I download something, the top speed is 31 Kbps. Does anyone know why this could be?
If you are looking at the windows dialog it is in kilobytes per second, not kilobits per second, which is the speed everyone is typically used to. Just multiply by 8. So you are getting around 250kbps which is about what I would expect. Got to give up a little for protocol overhead etc.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I see. I was spoiled with Cable.
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

The best download I've seen from my DSL is 640K but I have 6M/608. :P

Why is your connection so slow? Too far from the CO? Are there any Pronto boxes in your area they could switch you to?
(HBZ)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I have SBC Yahoo DSL also. I get 128 KB/sec x 8 = 1 Megabit per sec downloads and I usually have access to the full bandwith. In my area they have started offering increased bw packages for more $$ as well. However before I moved here I had Cox Cable in SB and I regularly got downloads at 400 KB+. No comparison. But DSL is generally cheaper.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've gotten over 2 Mbps download before... Those trailer sites can sometimes do it. I think that Star Wars Episode 3 teaser download can push 2.1 Mbps. That's pretty darn fast.

Oh, and yes, I have SBC Yahoo! DSL (before it's just Pac Bell DSL)
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I have sbc dsl (in NE OH so a different company than yours.) I had agonizingly slow times until I finally convinced them to send someone out and check all the antique wiring in the house. He was able to fix it so I get about 2.5 meg speed.

Just keep on talking to the SBC tech support until they agree to send someone. Nicest tech support people I've met but it took awhile to get through to them.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

If you think you should be getting faster performance you could try the SBC forum on DSLReports. They have actual SBC techs online and they're generally more knowlegable and responsive than the phone techs.
(HBZ)