Email clients?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Email clients?

Post by Blackhawk »

I am in the process of an email re-vamp here. Hundreds of spam emails a day are getting to be just too much. I'm clearing out old emails and closing down my two worst spam accounts, all of this coinciding with a reformat.

I've used Outlook for years, but it is frequently labeled as one of the worst email clients. I used it with SpamBayes, which did a great job with the spam.

I have been using Opera email for the past few months, but have had nothing but headaches with it - especially with its spam filters. They let a ton of spam through, and kill about one in five legitimate emails, even after having been 'trained' for months.

So, then. Any thoughts on email clients? Stick with Outlook/SpamBayes? Something new? I'm not looking to replace my browser, nor am I all that fond of web mail. I'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler, either.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I could send you a gmail invite. I never ever thought I'd turn a webmail client (especially one that demands IE over Opera!) into my primary preferred email, but well, here I am.

~Neal
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Despite all of the evil you mentioned, I appreciate your offer. The only problem is that I don't use a single account. Before I did my disabling routine, I had five that I used regularly - my main one for friends, family, and trusted transactions, my blackhawk@stratosgroup.com for assorted dealings concerning that company, my duane@stratosgroup.com one for professional dealings, an anonymous account, plus a generic spam account for signing up for whatever interesting Internet thing I came across.

Now, with three disabled, but two new ones (OO.com and a replacement spam address), I am down to four active accounts, and need to manage them all.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

www.pocomail.com was my preferred (free) client back in the day. May be worth checking out, but I haven't played with it in a few years.

Best of luck,
~Neal
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

Well, you haven't mentioned it yet, but Mozilla's Thunderbird is coming to it's 1.0 release fairly soon(it's up to .9 at the moment).
Rip

Post by Rip »

I like the 2003 version of Outlook, but I work on Exchange at the office and have many clients that use Exchange so I need to know it pretty well.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

IMHO, Mozilla Thunderbird is the way to go. Free, scalable, expandable, and has great spam filtering.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Another vote for Thunderbird.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Thunderbird!
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

Another vote for Thunderbird here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Thunderbird here too. Great for checking multiple accounts at once.

I don't use the spam filter because I'm resigned to the fact that I need to spend 30 minutes a week deleting that crap to avoid the inevitable false positive. But I do look at the spam tags from Tbird and they've been accurate so far.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I have been meaning to try Thunderbird to see if it can do a good job handling a few of my spam-ridden email accounts. When you upgrade Tbird to a newer version (it's not at 1.0 yet, is it?), does it keep your account info and emails intact or do you lose everything with each new version?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

It should migrate all of your settings and account info into the new versions.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had completely ignored it, as I thought it was part of their browser. If not, I may give it a whirl later on today.

Thanks for the input.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:I had completely ignored it, as I thought it was part of their browser. If not, I may give it a whirl later on today.

Thanks for the input.
Thunderbird is the email client. Firefox is the browser. You can get the Mozilla suite (FFox, Tbird, editor, etc) or each app individually. I use both Firefox and Thunderbird but I like to install the distinct apps.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

For those interested (and I certainly was) Gmail now offers POP3 support.