Laptop Suggestions

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GuidoTKP

Laptop Suggestions

Post by GuidoTKP »

Before I invest too much research in this, I'll cast about for someone who has already done it for me! :wink: Looking for the best bang for the buck on a sub-$1000 laptop. Needs to have a 15.4" screen, but after that, everything is flexible. It will not be a gaming laptop, per se, but instead will be used for browsing, use with an ipod, ripping CDs, etc. Any great steals out there that you guys can turn me on to?
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Dell had a great deal on their laptops a few weeks ago. They often have deals on their 8600 (good general purpose machine). I'd go to techbargains.com and watch for deals. I got an 8600 for $971 (before a $50 rebate) that was loaded. That was a $750 off of 1500 deal, though. Often times you can find a 30% off deal on Dell laptops.

E-machines makes good laptops as well. They sell a few models below $1000 that have Athlon XP mobile chips that are pretty well configured. I love my E-machines 6805.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Thanks for the suggestions! Dell and eMachines were already at the top of my list. Glad to hear others think highly of them as well.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed