Sound board recommendations?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD

Sound board recommendations?

Post by DD »

Currently using the onboard sound from my MoBo. Wondering if I'd see an improvement in sound quality (and perhaps a bit less load on my CPU) if I went with an external board.

I currently have a complete 5.1 surround speaker system.

Much thanks!
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

I'm not going to recommend Creative, even though most of my machines use their boards. Their driver support sucks.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Are you interested in better sound for gaming or for music playback? What board are you using and what chip does it use for sound?

If it's for games despite their lousy support Creative is probably the a way to go if frame rates matter to you. There are great non-Creative solutions for a more audiophile route (with lower frame rates in games), but if gaming is in the plans Creative cards can be decent if you skip their drivers and use the KX Project drivers instead. I have been quite happy with the KX drivers myself.

M-Audo for the budding musician/audiophile media junky (or others if you really want to spend some big money lol) and Creative for the gamer and sometimes audiophile. Check out the reviews on X-bit.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Enough wrote:use the KX Project drivers instead. I have been quite happy with the KX drivers myself.
Mmm... news to me! The kX Project page, for people interested. I'm definately taking a close look at these...
DD

Post by DD »

Gaming only - not interested in music at all, that's what the stereo is for.
Enough

Post by Enough »

DD wrote:Gaming only - not interested in music at all, that's what the stereo is for.
You forgot to answer the other question about what motherboard you are using and what chip supplies the integrated sound to see if upgrading would be worthwhile. Heh, I thought you republicans were supposed to be good at following directions... ;)

Buy an Audigy 2 ZS and use the KX drivers if you don't like your current sound setup. If you have 5.1 speakers they will sound great going this route.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
DD

Post by DD »

Sorry, I wasn't paying full attention - too busy thinking about further tax cuts and a judiciary that acts as a judiciary, not an unelected legislature. ;)

The mobo is an Asus P4P800, the sound chip is definitely a SoundMax (ADI AD1985 SoundMAX 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface)
Enough

Post by Enough »

DD wrote:Sorry, I wasn't paying full attention - too busy thinking about further tax cuts and a judiciary that acts as a judiciary, not an unelected legislature. ;)

The mobo is an Asus P4P800, the sound chip is definitely a SoundMax (ADI AD1985 SoundMAX 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface)
With that hefty raise your wife got it's no wonder you are thinking about tax breaks! :)

You have pretty decent onboard sound now, but I am going to guess you would likely get a bit better sound from an Audigy 2 ZS with possibly a few more frames/second performance in games since your sound will not get off-loaded to the CPU/RAM as much. But you may want to ensure you have the newest drivers for the onboard sound first since they might improve sound quality. If you want in-depth research this is what you should read.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the current state of Turtle Beach sound cards? Are they off the radar now?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Way off the radar, I posted a question about them earlier.

Basically what it comes down to is poor driver support for the excellent Santa Cruz, but their latest two products ship with vastly outdated chipsets with the extra features just sort of tacked on.

Creative has its own strange ways, but their support is decent for the newer cards.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

I'm basically sick and tired of PC sound. Games have more sound issues these days than in the early 90's. I have a SB Live, supposedly very compatible, but I always have sound issues. Creative has put legacy processes running all the time, drivers released in like 1998, ridiculous creative "play center". Their audigy line doesn't do it for me either, too many complaints about quality and compatibility, and sure it might be capable of a bunch of things but do I need four RCA audio inputs? Creative has just been the top loser for the longest.

I will definately stick wtih onboard audio on my next PC. Sorry about the rant, just tonight I had Deus Ex 2 with no audio, and the other week I tried NOLF 2 and had no audio.
is_dead
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

are there any user-written drivers for the TBSC? sorta like those umm ...
'pro-style' drivers for the Live/Audigy cards?
DD

Post by DD »

Sounds like I'll stick with the onboard sound for the time being - not worth the trouble and expense of upgrading. Besides, my wife tells me all the time that I can't hear for shit. ;)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Hrmm I have the P4P800 Deluxe board as well; but I use an Audigy MP3 card with it. I always assumed onboard audio was crap and couldn't provide EAX support, but based on that link; it does support it.

Anyone know if I am gaining anything by using the Audigy card (in a 3.2ghz system with HT)? Not even sure if my Audigy supports EAX2 or not. *shrug*. I used to be such a geek, but as time wears on I find out more and more I am not... Either that or the rest of the world is getting far geekier and I am just normal now? Chances are not.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Fishpants - If you get the latest driver update from Creative (March 2004), your Audigy should support up to EAX 4.

Vs. onboard sound, the Audigy (or Audigy 2 ZS) will give you full EAX 4 support and also a few more fps in games since it will take some of the load off the CPU for processing audio.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ah yes, update the drivers.. I should go back to punching myself in the crotch now.

;)

I had no idea they added functionality to their stuff when they updated drivers; figured that was left for Audigy 2 and beyond (to suck more money out of my pocket). I am pleasantly surprised!